2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Best low spin driver shaft on the soft side of stiff flex

clemensoff

or on the stiff side of regular
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a new driver shaft to put my new Tour Burner TP. I bought it with the diamana 65 in regular flex. And soon found out, that it is soft, the ball flies too high.
My swing speed is from 95 to 100, smooth tempo.
I am always in the search for max distance.
I think I either need a stiff shaft, that plays on the soft side or a regular shaft, that plays on the stiff side (that´s what I thougt the diamana white should, but wasn´t) - By the way, is the Taylormade stock diamana WB reg mabe softer than the original mitsubishi diamana WB reg?
Whitch shafts should I look for. Advice please!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.fujikuragolf.com/pages08/academy.html

Check out the video explanation of the various parts of the shaft, I think you'll find it interesting, and informative.

Cheers

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

easy.

Grafalloy Prolaunch RED R (regular) Flex.

Plays right in between a R and S flex on other shafts.

Low spin, low launch.

Th PL Red is supposed to be very low spin/trajectory. Their website has the Red listed as the lowest and the Blue (plain 'ol Blue - not the Prolaunch Blue) in the middle.

I have the Red now in my new G10 - but I hit it higher (but not too high) than I did my old Cleveland Launcher with the Blue - so go figure. The head lofts were only 1/2 degree different.

The Red also feels softer than the Blue (both in stiff) - but it could be the added length of the Ping shaft that makes it seem that way.

Sounds like you prefer the same type of driver shafts that I do. So I second the Prolaunch Red recommendation as that is what is in my hybrids. But the shaft I found to be a little better for me was the Graman Limey. It plays soft for a stiff shaft but I've found it to be a touch lower in spin. That is what is in my driver now and I'm fixing to get my 3 wood reshafted with it too.

The good thing about the Prolaunch Red though is that you can find them stock in a few different OEM offerings and save yourself the cost of reshafting. But if you are going to change shafts in a current club anyway, think about the Limey.

the Whiteboard is not going to work for you. I have a similar swing profile to yours...96-98, 102 if I step into it but control may be out the window.

For me the VS Proto Stiff 60g, works, and the Blueboard 63g Stiff works a little bit better even. Ball flight is very similar but the BB runs a little bit better.

imo the BB is a much smoother feeling shaft than the Proto but you get what you pay for. For our SS, if you would like a Whiteboard type trajectory and run, try the Pershing 65g Stiff. I didn't like the feel, but you may.

the Whiteboard is not going to work for you. I have a similar swing profile to yours...96-98, 102 if I step into it but control may be out the window.

For me the VS Proto Stiff 60g, works, and the Blueboard 63g Stiff works a little bit better even. Ball flight is very similar but the BB runs a little bit better.

imo the BB is a much smoother feeling shaft than the Proto but you get what you pay for. For our SS, if you would like a Whiteboard type trajectory and run, try the Pershing 65g Stiff. I didn't like the feel, but you may.

I've seen this Whiteboard mentioned quite a bit. Who is it for? My driver SS averages about 107. As I mentioned in my previous post I don't think the PL red goes too high for me - but it is borderline. It's also brand new with limited range time and no course time yet (this weekend). I haven't hit it in very windy conditions yet - so I am a bit concerned it may balloon into the wind.

Pershing 65 stiff or Pershing 75 regular (perhaps tipped a bit). The reference above was the first time I have ever heard of someone not liking the feel. For my money it is the best feeling low-mid launch and low-mid spin shaft out there, and quite a bargain.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Try a DVS if you can, R holds up to my 105 ss, I have both R & S flex for I-Mix.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Pershing 65 stiff or Pershing 75 regular (perhaps tipped a bit). The reference above was the first time I have ever heard of someone not liking the feel. For my money it is the best feeling low-mid launch and low-mid spin shaft out there, and quite a bargain.

Yes, I liked the feel of the pershing. In fact I had a Nike Sumo 5000 with a pershing 65s. I was very straight with it, but lost 10 yards. These 10 yards I got back from the Tour Burner TP with the diamana reg. But everything feels whippy. I have heard the Pershing plays on the stiff side of stiff, do you agree?

QUOTE(bradski @ Jul 2 2008, 05:11 PM) post_snapback.gifI would just tip you shaft an inch and that should make it good to go. The old burners were 46" anyways which I feel is tooo long.

Yep, tip it an inch and you should be good. If nothing else it is cheap and easy to experiment

The driver now is 45'' if I tip an inch, I would have to add something on the butt, wright. I don´t know if that is good?

Sounds like you prefer the same type of driver shafts that I do. So I second the Prolaunch Red recommendation as that is what is in my hybrids. But the shaft I found to be a little better for me was the Graman Limey. It plays soft for a stiff shaft but I've found it to be a touch lower in spin. That is what is in my driver now and I'm fixing to get my 3 wood reshafted with it too.

The good thing about the Prolaunch Red though is that you can find them stock in a few different OEM offerings and save yourself the cost of reshafting. But if you are going to change shafts in a current club anyway, think about the Limey.

I had a demo G10 3-Wood with the prolaunch red in reg, the flight was too low. Mabe that would be different with the driver, though. I´ll try to get ahold of a demo with a Limey, thanks for the advice.

Yes, I am thinking of reshafting my TBTP with the blueboard 63 stiff (financial desaster :drinks:). Tell me, why do you think the whiteboard wouldn´t work for us? On the mitsubishi homepage the swingspeed advice for the whiteboard (and blueboard) stiff starts at 92 mph - 105.

Is the Taylormade Whiteboard reg softer than the original Whiteboard reg, in your opinion?

Yes, I liked the feel of the pershing. In fact I had a Nike Sumo 5000 with a pershing 65s. I was very straight with it, but lost 10 yards. These 10 yards I got back from the Tour Burner TP with the diamana reg. But everything feels whippy. I have heard the Pershing plays on the stiff side of stiff, do you agree?

Not the 65 gram version - I think it's soft, if anything, especially tip soft. The 75 gram I would call true to flex, maybe a tad stiff, and I think most of that is in the tip. Keep in mind, these are my subjective perceptions; I don't have any data about whether the 75 gram is really tip stiffer.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

QUOTE(bradski @ Jul 2 2008, 05:11 PM) post_snapback.gifI would just tip you shaft an inch and that should make it good to go. The old burners were 46" anyways which I feel is tooo long.

Yep, tip it an inch and you should be good. If nothing else it is cheap and easy to experiment

The driver now is 45'' if I tip an inch, I would have to add something on the butt, wright. I don´t know if that is good?

45" is more to what people play. a few drivers out there are 46" but quite a few pro's go down in the 44.5 range. you just get better control and maybe a loss of a handful of yards.

based on my experience...

soft side of stiff

graphite design ys6 s flex...mid launch..mid spin

aldila nvs s flex....mid launch..mid spin

firm side of regular

ust V2 r flex....mid launch...low spin

aldila vs proto r flex..mid launch...low spin

w/just knowing your ss and tempo i would reccommend a S flex,mid bend and tip,mid 3's torque,tipping the above shafts 1 inch for a TM head

the TP w/ matrix XCON5 stiff may have been a better choice (?)

good luck

Yes, I am thinking of reshafting my TBTP with the blueboard 63 stiff (financial desaster :clapping: ). Tell me, why do you think the whiteboard wouldn´t work for us? On the mitsubishi homepage the swingspeed advice for the whiteboard (and blueboard) stiff starts at 92 mph - 105.

Is the Taylormade Whiteboard reg softer than the original Whiteboard reg, in your opinion?

I don't know about the TM Whiteboard as compared to the original Mitsu Whiteboard but when I compared the White to the Blue in stiff, I just couldn't get the ball up in the air. Maybe the regular flex is more suited to our swing speed but I haven't tried it. I guess I could have gone higher in loft...but I had found the combo that fit me.

When I look for a shaft I always pay my most attention to torque. Mid 3's work for me and anything lower than that just doesn't get the performance I want. Doesn't go high enough and limits the distance. IMO the WB is more suited for higher SS players and or aggressive transition players. For us smooth guys, we just can't load the shaft to make it work for us.

If you're going to reshaft your TMTP with the BB 63s, like I stated a few posts above, you should try the VS Proto. You can find a pull or buy new on the bay for about $50 shipped.

QUOTE(clemensoff @ Jul 3 2008, 01:28 AM) post_snapback.gifQUOTEthe Whiteboard is not going to work for you. I have a similar swing profile to yours...96-98, 102 if I step into it but control may be out the window.

Yes, I am thinking of reshafting my TBTP with the blueboard 63 stiff (financial desaster :clapping: ). Tell me, why do you think the whiteboard wouldn´t work for us? On the mitsubishi homepage the swingspeed advice for the whiteboard (and blueboard) stiff starts at 92 mph - 105.

I don't know about the TM Whiteboard as compared to the original Mitsu Whiteboard but when I compared the White to the Blue in stiff, I just couldn't get the ball up in the air. Maybe the regular flex is more suited to our swing speed but I haven't tried it. I guess I could have gone higher in loft...but I had found the combo that fit me.

When I look for a shaft I always pay my most attention to torque. Mid 3's work for me and anything lower than that just doesn't get the performance I want. Doesn't go high enough and limits the distance. IMO the WB is more suited for higher SS players and or aggressive transition players. For us smooth guys, we just can't load the shaft to make it work for us.

If you're going to reshaft your TMTP with the BB 63s, like I stated a few posts above, you should try the VS Proto. You can find a pull or buy new on the bay for about $50 shipped.

Thanks for your advice. I´ve been to the range and have hit lots of balls with my new TBTP and diamana white reg yesterday. I know understand everyone saying it launches low. It does. The balloons I hit must have been bad swings, where I couldn´t close the clubface enough. Mabe the shaft even launches too low, could also be the range balls. When hitting new range balls the trajektory was ok, but not real high.

Have you tried the blueboard in reg? Do you think the BB stiff could give me extra yards over the WB reg? Someone told me, the WB is hard to turn over for a draw, due its stiff mid section. I had the same feeling, could also be the fade bias of the TP head. Is the bluebord easier to "turn over"?

Matrix F6M2 Stiff. It plays to a soft stiff, or stiff regular, when compared to other brands, say fujikura. CPM 257, pre-installed stiff, comes out to 249-252 cpm installed(most heads). Low spin, but not necessarily low trajectory as the website designates. More of a Mid trajectory with good hang time at apex, and some roll. Good match with a tour burner tp. I'm only writing this because I have confirmed its attributes to be true and was impressed. I have it in a G10 and also have tried ifixclubs' tb tp with F6 xs. Plays soft to flex so if you play a "standard" stiff, you should get a strong. OR the Graphite Design MD6 in SR flex. It is not necessarily a low spin shaft but it is an excellent mid trajectory mid kick shaft that is easy to swing and control. Might be a good match with tb tp.