2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

geotech blades

QuigleyDU

i was looking at the geotech blade irons they look really nice and within my price range was wondering if they are quality or not?

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have their Black 455 driver and it was actually not bad and great value. I have seen (not play) the iron heads and the quality is good for the money. I believe it is the same mold as the Scratch blade but difference alloy (1020 vs 1018 steel) and differeent surface finishes. The wood heads are made in China but the blades and CB are forged in Japan I believe.

• 4 weeks later...
Theres a reason there at the price they are... There good for someone who wants a set of "Japanese irons" or just wants a cheap set of blades but there not the greatest in the world... Japanese gear costs alot and thats because of the quality... These dont cost alot... :man_in_love:

Japanese gear costs alot because of perceived quality as well, and the willingness of the Japanese consumers to pay for that perception, don't forget that.

I have their Black 455 driver and it was actually not bad and great value. I have seen (not play) the iron heads and the quality is good for the money. I believe it is the same mold as the Scratch blade but difference alloy (1020 vs 1018 steel) and differeent surface finishes. The wood heads are made in China but the blades and CB are forged in Japan I believe.

I think Ari has come on before and noted several real differences other than cosmetics and steel.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

so what are those diferences?? If you state something like that, you should back up your claim. I agree that in many cases you get what you pay for. That being said golf equipment i feel is marked way up that is why you can find brand new stuf on ebay that wont sell because comsumers are unwilling to pay full price for them. If they ruely where worth what you originally paid for them you would see it in the auctions on ebay, it is one of the purist form of supply and demand.

golf stuff generally like most cars do not hold there value for long.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

so what are those diferences?? If you state something like that, you should back up your claim. I agree that in many cases you get what you pay for. That being said golf equipment i feel is marked way up that is why you can find brand new stuf on ebay that wont sell because comsumers are unwilling to pay full price for them. If they ruely where worth what you originally paid for them you would see it in the auctions on ebay, it is one of the purist form of supply and demand.

I think that if you took those blades, ground off all the distinguishing marks (or leadtaped over them) and did the same with blades from other companies, you would probably be hardpressed to tell the difference. I'm not singling anyone out in this thread, but having spent 7 years on the forums most folks that down component clubs don't have a clue what they're talking about, the majority haven't ever hit one. Especially not one fit for their swing.

Whatcha oughta do is try and pick up an individual iron and have it built, see what you think. :man_in_love:

Now, what was my statement?

That Ari has posted before about the differences between Scratch and Geotech models - that is what I posted. It is not a claim.

OK - I did a search just as you could have done. Earlier in the year, someone was posting that the Geotech CBs were the same model as the AR-1. This is what Ari posted:

"They are not the same head. Other than the cavity pretty much looking the same (there are others that look pretty much the same also) there are many differences between the two clubs. Sole Width, Headshape, Offset, Blade Length, Hosel Length etc are all different not even going into all the different sole grinds and custom options that we offer."

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

your statement that

"bottom line you get what you pay for" implying that they are lesser quality, not very good, etc. now i am not saying what they are or are not. that is why i asked. if ou dont know anything about them then leave it at that. i have done some searches and have found very little if nothing about them the company or anything else that they make.

i agree that japanese equipment for some reason is very inflated in price and i dont believe that it has much to do with their possible better manufactoring. I thnk it is a case of its japanese so it has to be better. that is why i believe you do not allows get what you pay for.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

your statement that

"bottom line you get what you pay for" implying that they are lesser quality, not very good, etc. now i am not saying what they are or are not. that is why i asked. if ou dont know anything about them then leave it at that. i have done some searches and have found very little if nothing about them the company or anything else that they make.

i agree that japanese equipment for some reason is very inflated in price and i dont believe that it has much to do with their possible better manufactoring. I thnk it is a case of its japanese so it has to be better. that is why i believe you do not allows get what you pay for.

It implies that in the context of the discussion -- the claim that Geotech irons are just like Scratch -- is not true (based on an similar discussion earlier in the year).

Let's look at Ari's statement again re: the similar Geotech CB v. Scratch CB:

"They are not the same head. Other than the cavity pretty much looking the same (there are others that look pretty much the same also) there are many differences between the two clubs. Sole Width, Headshape, Offset, Blade Length, Hosel Length etc are all different not even going into all the different sole grinds and custom options that we offer."

Conclusion: In the context of the above statement, Geotech is not Scratch -- you get what you pay for. If you want a Scratch, buy a Scratch, not something else.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

nobody said they wanted scratch, i have hit scratch clubs and thought that they where nothing special ( again over priced clubs) besides you brought that into the discussion, so maybe you should learn to stay on topic. In case you forgot what it was, I asked if anyone has played THESE CLUBS the geotech blades and what where they like? If you have not played them dont speculate. Pretty much just dont comment.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Hey creeder,

The geotechs do look nice. I currently play a set of snake eyes 675b heads. For the price, you can not beat them. I have hit everything out there. There is always hype with the name game. You can buy a head for $32, s300 for $8, and a grip for $3. You got $43 in cost and really know what you are hitting. Good luck!!!

nobody said they wanted scratch, i have hit scratch clubs and thought that they where nothing special ( again over priced clubs) besides you brought that into the discussion, so maybe you should learn to stay on topic. In case you forgot what it was, I asked if anyone has played THESE CLUBS the geotech blades and what where they like? If you have not played them dont speculate. Pretty much just dont comment.

Look at Post #4, Big Guy.

The Poster mentions the comparison to Scratch.

I've been very diplomatic in my response to you. You don't intimidate anyone. This is not your thread. This thread belongs to golfwrx once you post it.

My response was very much on topic as it responded to Post #4 and you kept it alive by asking for more information. I gave you that information. Then you tell me to stay out of a thread that is the property of golfwrx.

Enough.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

I think that if you took those blades, ground off all the distinguishing marks (or leadtaped over them) and did the same with blades from other companies, you would probably be hardpressed to tell the difference. I'm not singling anyone out in this thread, but having spent 7 years on the forums most folks that down component clubs don't have a clue what they're talking about, the majority haven't ever hit one. Especially not one fit for their swing.

Whatcha oughta do is try and pick up an individual iron and have it built, see what you think. :man_in_love:

I think making a comment like that is a sign of someone who doesnt know what there talking about... I have actually had a set made for me to spec for me and didnt like them, didnt like the quality feel or looks... Put them next to a set of something im not even that keen on, say Titleist 670s made to the same spec and i still saw the difference...

Im not downing component clubs, i think if you get the right ones they can be magic... I would also like to think i do know what im talking about as its how i make a living and its my hobby on the side also, i work with and fit anything from beginners to tour players on a daily basis and having hit this particular set and having a few well known people take a few shots with them, their impressions were similar so i was giving a personal response on my views of these clubs, not randomly saying there cheap japanese component heads, dont buy them...

So if you know something about these clubs could you give us that dont know even though they are less expensive than other clubs say muiras' they still are expnsive enough that i dont want to just order one on the hopes that i do like it.

a little more feedback other than they are cheap, and therefore not "that" good woule be much appreciated. What specifically was it that you did or didn't like? That is what i would like to know.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

FYI if anyone is wondering still the Geotech blades are not anything like our SB-1 blades other than them both being musclebacks. They are completely 100% different clubs. Our SB-1s are specifically designed to have the COG located in the center of the face rather than the heel of the club. They are a design that is specific to us and only used by us. I know nothing about the Geotech blades.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

i never really thought that they where the same, but thanks for the info.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I think making a comment like that is a sign of someone who doesnt know what there talking about... I have actually had a set made for me to spec for me and didnt like them, didnt like the quality feel or looks... Put them next to a set of something im not even that keen on, say Titleist 670s made to the same spec and i still saw the difference...

Im not downing component clubs, i think if you get the right ones they can be magic... I would also like to think i do know what im talking about as its how i make a living and its my hobby on the side also, i work with and fit anything from beginners to tour players on a daily basis and having hit this particular set and having a few well known people take a few shots with them, their impressions were similar so i was giving a personal response on my views of these clubs, not randomly saying there cheap japanese component heads, dont buy them...

It's interesting how in your initial post you made no mention whatsoever of the fact that you had a set fit for you and had hit them. Just the fact that you had hit a set was tremendously important to answer the op's question. Why not say that instead of making generalizations? :good:

Convenient :hi:

Extreamly convinient wouldnt you say... I dont know why i didnt state it in my original post, i have had alot of sets and clubs made to my spec, ill hit them a few times, keep them if i like, sell them if i dont... Those went... They didnt do anything for my game and didnt like the quality, feel, looks or anything for that fact about them...

• 2 years later...

This sure is an interesting discussion. Fairway Fred, you state that the SB-1 blades are nothing like the Geotech blades and that they are 100% different. Then, in the last line, you say .......you know nothing about the Geotech blades. How do you know they are different if you know nothing about them? Just curious.

I have hit the Geotech blades and the new CB Geotech irons and would have to say they are very fine clubs and the price is not bad either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='SwingMan' timestamp='1220820071' post='1245367']
[quote name='Duffy19' post='1198089' date='Aug 5 2008, 09:39 AM']I have their Black 455 driver and it was actually not bad and great value. I have seen (not play) the iron heads and the quality is good for the money. I believe it is the same mold as the Scratch blade but difference alloy (1020 vs 1018 steel) and differeent surface finishes. The wood heads are made in China but the blades and CB are forged in Japan I believe.[/quote]

I think Ari has come on before and noted several real differences other than cosmetics and steel. [/quote]

Its an "open" design, so not an original design. Its a head design that any company are allowed to use. The difference then is who forges them and where they are forged. And also the grind, topline materials and so on. Geotech dont do many original designs, but rely on Open molds for their irons especially. But the blades and CB are forged from pretty premium S25 steel in Japan, so the difference in cost have nothing to do with the quality of the work or in the materials.
Geotech makes A LOT of stuff for most major US OEMs so they know quality control very well. But they dont do much marketing (which adds a lot to the cost of a club) and dont need to empoy an army of designers since they use the above mentioned Open designs. So they cost less. Plus, they are known as component company and so brand snobbery plays a large part when it comes to how much they can charge for their stuff.

Scratch is using open designs as well, as do many other smaller "boutique" makers from Japan.