2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

No Cell Phones at PGA Tour events???

TonyMags

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing to think that a human being could survive for 4 or 5 hours with out a cell phone, OMG it is amazing anyone even attends tour events any longer! What if you want to talk to someone who is not standing next to you, you might have to wait a few hours, what if the world ends.......... :)

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Don't go to the tournament then.

The problem is that for every 10 people that follow the rules, there is one that doesn't. If you can't ensure that all are going to put their phones on vibrate, then the easy solution is to make everybody leave their phones in the car.

Is there really a reason to have your phone on your at an event? Are you going to the event to watch golf, or are you going to the event to give play by play to your friends?

Wow that's awful. Believe me, I understand that 5% of people can being annoying with them, but to not allow the 95% of normal human beings who understand etiquette and social behavior to responsibly use a cell phone as needed is frigging ridiculous.

I seriously don't understand why that is awful? And I am a person who carries a Treo with me all day long, I am certainly not opposed to technology, but really you are at a sporting event, it is great to escape from being constantly connected and pestered by text's, emails and phone calls for a few enjoyable hours with friends in the great outdoors watching the best players in the world play the game we love.

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

the idea of the rule is solid but it won't work

turns out you're not supposed to have your phone on in the movies either, but that sure doesn't stop people from using them during the movie

a rule will not stop a really determined person from bothering everyone anyways

I doubt they're frisking people on the way in to stop phones from being brought in

I too have a Treo, but whether it be coordinating with family coming from different states to meet up, emergencies, or personal use I don't think it's silly to responsibly exercise the option to be in touch with someone as needed over an 8 hour day. I agree there will be idiotic exceptions to the 10 people operating within good taste but I play all the time with cell phones going off from much closer than 20 yards away - it happens. Camera shutters are louder, there are other distrations. Make people silence their phones, or have volunteers available to do it at the gate for them. My phone hasn't been on 'ring' in 7 years.

And I agree part of the enjoyment of going to sporting events is to "get away from it all" but I am a Giants season ticket holder, a Nets season ticket holder and I have uncovered an amazing way to use my cell phone once every 4 hours without being a tremendous horses a** in the process.

Wow that's awful. Believe me, I understand that 5% of people can being annoying with them, but to not allow the 95% of normal human beings who understand etiquette and social behavior to responsibly use a cell phone as needed is frigging ridiculous.

At the PGA in 2006, they actually frisked everyone at the gates and ran metal detection wands over them to make sure there were no phones. I would not try to sneak one in unless you don't mind walking or taking a shuttle all the way back to your car to put it back when they find it.

I too have a Treo, but whether it be coordinating with family coming from different states to meet up, emergencies, or personal use I don't think it's silly to responsibly exercise the option to be in touch with someone as needed over an 8 hour day. I agree there will be idiotic exceptions to the 10 people operating within good taste but I play all the time with cell phones going off from much closer than 20 yards away - it happens. Camera shutters are louder, there are other distrations. Make people silence their phones, or have volunteers available to do it at the gate for them. My phone hasn't been on 'ring' in 7 years.

And I agree part of the enjoyment of going to sporting events is to "get away from it all" but I am a Giants season ticket holder, a Nets season ticket holder and I have uncovered an amazing way to use my cell phone once every 4 hours without being a tremendous horses a** in the process.

FYI- Cameras are not allowed either (except for practice rounds).

Unfortunately, it's cheaper and easier to arbitrarily ban mobile phones and cameras from the venue than to post notices warning that misuse of either will result in the person involved being ejected from the course. The latter requires lots of staff and potentially causes drama.

That said, an even easier solition is for people to exercise common sense and to do what is reasonably expected of them. We all know however that that's never going to happen.

I don't agree that people should have their phones essentially confiscated but I don't think it's all that draconian to ask people to use them reasonably and responsibly. Why people insist on taking photos is beyond me though. Do they need to prove that they were there to their friends in case they don't believe they went?

If you want a photo of a particular player, go to Getty Images or wherever and then you don't make yourself a nuisance during play. If you're really desperate for that personal touch, complete with thumb over the lens and the sun in the wrong place, then go on a practice day.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

I assume every tournament is different in terms of enforcement, but I attended the Travelers' in Hartford, and they had signs posted everywhere about cell phones not being allowed. However, when push came to shove and it was time to go through the gate, all they asked was if it was off. They certainly were not confiscating anything. I wonder if it's as simple as the same idiots who can't turn their phones off/on silent are the same ones that will leave them home for fear of confiscation.

As one of the 95% that would respect the rule I am more than willing to leave my phone in the car if it means I don't have to listen to the 5% who can't practice good policy. That's said 5% also seems to be the ones who everyone within 50 yards knows exactly what they are discussing because they apparently don't have vlume adjustment on their own pie holes.

I don't have a cell phone, I don,t see any need for them.

They are just an unneccessary expense.

Gem

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

from my experience, this rule is a joke. i've seen it posted all over the place. but, i've never seen any sort of search or enforcement of any kind. and trust me, you'll see plenty of people on phones, and you won't see anybody do anything about it.

if you ask me, the pga tour isn't trying too hard because they want all the corporate tents (and money) and want the event to be a business meeting for some people. these business people don't want to be unconnected for the whole day, so they bring and use phones and the pga isn't going to do anything about it.

That's been the rule at the British Open for a few years now - no mobile phones. It used to be generally ignored, and sensible people had theirs on silent so the players weren't disturbed. Of course, there are always a handful of idiots that ruin it.

This year they had airport style security with walk through metal detectors, and strictly no phones.

If you can't spend 8 hours away from a phone, you need to seriously rexamine your life.

It's not about you personally. I am sure that every moron who has snuck a cell phone into an event and proceeded to be an annoying distraction to a player or group of players said they could be trusted too. This is the stage where guys are making their living and I don't think its alot to ask that you observe a few simple rules while enjoying the privilidge of watching them at work. As other posters have said, if you don't want to abide by the rules, simply don't go. Give the tickets to someone who can step away from a phone and the internet for 8 hours and enjoy themselves and the event.

I was on vacation in Estes Park a few weeks ago, and while you can get decent cell coverage in parts of the town, I told my wife we are leaving the phones in the car or cabin. The best week I have had in years! We have all become accustomed to living our lives with a cell phone, email, texts, www. and sometimes it is great to just remember what it was like before the madness started. Humans did just fine on planet earth for many years without cell phones, the last 10-20 years have made us forget what it is like. I literally see teenagers walking around who I think are incapable of surviving with out them, everywehre they go they are looking down sending a text with their Ipod stuck in their ears. Just plug us all in the Matrix, life would be so much easier if it wasnt real.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

It's really a good rule. It's just nice to be at a tour event without distraction. Heck, even some peoples conversations were a bit much with whoever they were walking around with. Good rule. Inconvenient but good.

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5* - HZRDUS 5.5

Callaway GBB Epic 15* - HZRDUS 6.0

Adams Idea Pro 18* - Proto 80-S
Adams Idea A7 22* - Axivcore 85 S

Nike Pro Combo OS: 5-PW - Rifle 5.5

TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 52* & 58* Big Foot - HI-REV 2.0
Yes! Callie

Vice Golf Tour

If you can't spend 8 hours away from a phone, you need to seriously rexamine your life.

It's not about you personally. I am sure that every moron who has snuck a cell phone into an event and proceeded to be an annoying distraction to a player or group of players said they could be trusted too. This is the stage where guys are making their living and I don't think its alot to ask that you observe a few simple rules while enjoying the privilidge of watching them at work. As other posters have said, if you don't want to abide by the rules, simply don't go. Give the tickets to someone who can step away from a phone and the internet for 8 hours and enjoy themselves and the event.

I could not agree with you more!!!! This guy should give his tickets away!!!! I am impressed that he is a Giants and Nets season ticket holder.....but those sports are very loud and cell phones are not a problem.

If you do not like the rules......do not participate!!!!! simple as that!

i wish courses in general would ban cell phones on the course, every time i play i see people talking on the phone or hear one ring; if you can't be without for 4 hours go back to work or don't golf.....sorry but show some etiquette cell phones have no place on the golf course during tournament or just playing around..

It is amazing to think that a human being could survive for 4 or 5 hours with out a cell phone, OMG it is amazing anyone even attends tour events any longer! What if you want to talk to someone who is not standing next to you, you might have to wait a few hours, what if the world ends.......... ;)

Surgeons, Cops, Fire, Paramedics... :)

Next time a phone rings on the course, don't forget the necessary subscribers.

15 years ago families meet up without cell phones its called planning ahead. their is enough personal there if an emergency happens you can make contact with someone... I think its the best rule in years...

It is amazing to think that a human being could survive for 4 or 5 hours with out a cell phone, OMG it is amazing anyone even attends tour events any longer! What if you want to talk to someone who is not standing next to you, you might have to wait a few hours, what if the world ends.......... ;)

They should not be golfing if they are on call! but on their day off fine...

I've done all sorts of things, golf included, whilst I've been subject to recall to duty or been on-call.

As long as the person can get to their appointed place of work/duty within the timeframe that's stipulated you can do what you like on your days on an on-call roster.

That said, having a mobile on silent/vibrate can cause problems - but my common sense solution was always to carry it on my belt whilst on the course. It doesn't disturb anyone, and I'm able to realise when it's 'ringing'. You look a complete idiot, but it can't be helped.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Most UC cops/federal law enforcement are on call 24/7/365. I am not busting your chops, I am just making a point. ;) People always jump to conclusions when they hear the phone ring, assuming it's their wife or girlfriend to gab. Not always the case...Someone may need to respond to a critical incident.