2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Beginners in NYC

100pars

New to golf. I've been practicing at the range with a friend and we're finally all hitting consistently. We'd like to get on a course in 2 weeks just to give it a try and see how bad we really are. My questions are:

1) What's an easy course in nyc or Long island that are good for beginners. Heard about Marine park and dyker park?

2) If we're playing really bad and people are waiting for us what should we do? Pick up the ball and move to next hole or let them play through.

3) Any tips for me before I go out there for the first time?

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey welcome to the game. I live in Brooklyn, about 2 minutes from Dyker Beach GC. I play there 2-3 times/wk usually 18 holes on the weekend and 9 holes 2 days during the week. As much as I would love to tell you that Dyker is in terrible condition so that you don't grab up my tee times, I cannot. It is actually in great condition this year. Of course the usual problems of slow play and overbooking are still there. They say its the busiest public course in the northeast. Plus you have many beginners hacking around(I was one at the beginning of the year as well) so that slows play down a bunch. You wont finish a round in less than 5 hours unless you book the earliest times at 6am(played in 4 1/2hrs with 5:55 tee time this sunday). I have played a 5 1/2 hour round there.

That being said, it is a great course to learn on, short, wide open fairways on many holes with fairways next to each other so you wont lose many balls and can usually get back onto your fairway if you mishit. Longest par 5 is 480yds. There are no bunkers short of the greens to hit over, so if you have trouble getting the ball up and over you can still be ok. Most greens have bunkers to the sides. There is no water on any of the holes. The Par 3's are difficult however, with 2 in the 180 yard range usually downhill or uphill with elevated greens and bunkers, but good challenge. 9th hole is along 7th avenue on the left with a low fence, so I've seen many people hook it over that fence and hit cars. However Victory Memorial Hospital in right on that corner so in case you hit someone they are close to the ER. ;) lol. The running joke after shanking one on the 9th hole is "Do you know any patients at Victory Hospital? Well now you do!"

I just started playing golf this season, and Dyker isn't as intimidating as some other courses, and many other hackers make you feel right at home! I now shoot around 90 at Dyker and usually about 5-8 strokes worse when I play elsewhere. The rumors are that Tiger Woods father learned to play golf here when he was stationed at Fort Hamilton which is literally next door. So you can say that because of Dyker, we have Tiger! I think Tiger recently donated money to build the new Youth Golf Center next to Dyker.

Marine Park GC is interesting and longer, but also wide open. Conditions not as good as Dyker, with the fairways a bit chewed up, and the rough around the greens are bare on some holes with dirt/rocks, not nice on your clubs. Greens are nice though. Very windy here usually, with some days really gusting to like 20-25mph or more, which is annoying and exhausting, upping the difficulty. There is water on the 9th hole. The last hole 530 yds can play like it is over 600yds if the wind is in your face. Also if you play early there is a bit of a mosquito infestation problem. I felt like it was the Amazon with clouds of mosquitos swarming me and my golf bag as i pushed my cart. Maybe driving a cart would be better. I had welts for a week, and hopefully didn't contract the West Nile Virus.

Some of the courses in Staten Island are nicer, South Shore and Latourette are good. In queens i've played Forest Park which is even shorter and easier than Dyker, but managed even worse.

Sorry about the long post everyone, but I am an obsessed Brooklyn golfer.

Good Luck, and hopefully you don't like Dyker too much and add more golfers to an already crowded course. Just kidding.... kinda. :) lol

If you've just been hitting on the range, I'd suggest you play pitch-and-putt before going out to a NYC municipal course. Recommendations close by for you would be Flushing Meadow Park and Jones Beach. If you're willing to drive further, Robert Moses State Park has a beautiful pitch-and-putt course.

The next step I'd recommend is an Executive-type course, preferably with wide fairways. Christopher Morley park in Roslyn (EDIT: or Cantiague Park, in Hicksville) may be pricey for NYC residents, but it's the prototype for your area. Next step would be Kissena Park or Douglaston. Both are fairly short courses that wouls allow you to hit a decent array of shots, and wouldn't beat you up badly. :)

You have the right idea as far as keeping up the pace of play on a NYC muni, but really, learn to hit irons off grass before you frustrate yourself with a longer full-size muni. Also, pitch-and-putt is cheap. You can play two rounds in the same time as a full muni round for less money. And you become adept around the green, which will keep your score down when you feel ready to progress to a full-sized course.

Last poster is correct with the pitch and putt idea. I forgot to mention that before I played at Dyker for the first time, I played multiple times at the Riis Park pitch-and-putt. Good range of par 3's from 50 yards to 150 yards. I was afraid to embarrass myself and slow everyone else down too much so I played a few times to familiarize myself with hitting off grass and the greens. Hitting off the rubber mats at the range is nothing like hitting off grass, and I find it doesn't help me much. Although, at the pitch and putt they have rubber mats that prevent you from hitting your tee shot off the grass.

There is a very good executive course at Rockland Lake State Park. You'll need a car it is about a 30 minute drive from the GW brtidge or if you are coming from the Bronx, via the Deegan and just over the TZ bridge. It is a scenic course with holes ranging from 100 to 200 yards. A great way to improve your iron play and short game while learning what it's like to get around a real golf course. Make sure to play the correct course. There ius also a championship course at Rockland Lake. Also it is very reasonably priced for NY residents.

I would suggest a shorter course like Dunwoodie in Yonkers.

Also, try not to let your ego get in the way of a fun game. I would suggest playing from the gold tees as opposed to "distance golf".

Or, even better...try twilight golf and go out for nine-holes instead of 18. It costs less and you can still enjoy the "19th hole" afterwards!

3pm happens to be the busiest time to play because golfers who have purchased the discount card get twilight time fee starting at 3pm instead of 5. If you show up at 2:45 you can beat the rush coming in after 3. Granted you still will play a slow round but you can play quicker this way. Can't do anything about hackers however. Although even a hacker can play fast if they are aware and considerate of those behind them, instead of taking their time at each shot.

I agree it is frustrating. I have played a 4 1/2 hour round at Dyker but it was a 5:55am tee time, or a late afternoon 4pm time when you can play till 8:40 the end of june. That Par 3 4th hole is the worst, always backing up. I have waved golfers behind me up, letting them tee off while we are waiting on the green so at least they can move along a bit quicker once we putt out, but it usually doesn't make a difference. There is never a ranger around to move things along either. People need to be aware of their pace. If they are having a horrible hole, then pick up your ball when it is busy like this. Hustle to your ball, and move along after your shot instead of admiring it. Move out of driving range as quickly as you can so those behind you can at least tee off. If you play too slow or don't like to play at a quicker pace because it screws with your game then you should play somewhere less busy or at a quieter time. I will still play there because it is 2 minutes from my house and its a decent course especially for in the heart a Brooklyn. Just like anything else in NYC, you pay for convenience, quality and diversity in food, bars, and culture with high price, as well as crowdedness, traffic and crime. I guess golf should be no different huh? We still live here though. We must love the advantages.

• 9 months later...

Try Heartland Golf center in Edgewood NY, its a bit of a Ride I am from Kew Gardens but do most of my business in the Garden city/ Westbury area so its not to awful they have a cheap range with automatic tees and on weekday mornings it is completely empty the course is nice not to difficult but fun (modeled on famous international Par 3's including my favorite 17 TPC saw grass) plus 10 dollar fee to play also the course is positioned that you really cant rocket balls onto the road and there are few trees/wooded areas. I am just getting started and cant imagine playing a full course yet I am going to stick with par 3's moving up to a exec course with 4s but am too scared of my driver I can hit it around 250-270 relatively consistently on my good days where I want em but occasionally I'll just be off (back pain) and skull shots or slice badly at the range it isn't a big deal but on a real course with people waiting it would be a disaster. Have fun though first time is always scary I just started played one round by myself with a slow guy in front and no one behind then got paired up when I went back with a guy I looked at his golf bag full of taylor mades and Callaways and nearly pooed myself and preceded to hit the divot farther than my ball on the first shot I find it funny snowboarding I can jump on a double kinked rail over stairs with as much mental fear as turning on the tv but in golf a mildly experienced playing partner terrifies me :) Ohh well have fun sorry for rambling