Bought a New Rare Scotty...What's it worth?!

JAnthon88

Green Dot Down Signed by Scotty!
Alright I snagged this on ebay for an absolutely ridiculous price. I promise I paid less than what it's worth! Here's the low down: It's a "green dot down" Newport. Basically, during a production run, the stamping on the bottom of the club was reversed, so the green dot was facing the toe rather than the heel (hence green dot down). There were only 200 ever made. This one is signed by Scotty himself and came with a COA from the Cameron Studio. When I looked up the COA # on the site, it confirmed that there are only 200 of them and that this one was signed by Scotty. Now here's a loaded question...anyone have any idea what it might be worth? Any collectors that can put a rough estimate on it based on your knowledge? Based on what some Camerons go for on ebay, I would think it'll fetch a pretty nice dollar amount. Being a poor college boy, this is more an investment than anything. I certainly won't be able to hold it for too long. It'll be seeing ebay soon and I don't have any idea where to start it or how to describe its value. Any help would be appreciated! :D Thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picture and or COA number would help. Error Scottys usually don't appeal to alot of people and if its signed on the putter face, may take away value as well. Also, there are alot of Scotty collectors that hunt ebay. There are very few "deals" to be had and your pickup maybe not as good as you hoped...

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

I don't think its worth as much as you are hoping....I remember at one point it was maybe a $50 premium over the retail price. Its a retail putter with Scotty's autograph. Its not like a postage stamp or rare coin...

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
BST AD Help

Doesnt really matter what its worth. i think its a pretty cool piece.. the reverse stamping is nice.

GoOsE :D

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

Talked to the seller this morning. Either the guy responded in a rush or barely speaks English. Grammar wasn' the best. COA is dated July so it's fairly new. It was an investment with a friend with plans of probably seeing what we can do reselling with a better listing, like ohhh pics that weren't straight from the Cameron website, better description of what exactly green dot down is, a pic comparing it to a normal newport and such. We'll see what happens. We'll start it at our profit line and if nobody bids, I'll buy him out and have a sweet wall decoration :D. Thanks guys. If anyone has any auction suggestions let me know. I'll probably go gallery, purple background, bold...all out. See how much I can embelish it :)

Isn't that about $50 in listing fees? How much are you ballparking it at?

BST AD Help

I just calculated list fees for it. Without including final value fees, listing with 8 pictures, in the gallery items in bold with a highlighted (purple) background and BIN will cost me $12.20. I'm thinking some Cameron collector or someone seeing a very rare one of a kind may go for about $500 on it. I'll start it around $400 or so and see what happens. If not, no loss, I have a sweet collector's piece. I think this would have gone for a lot more had it not been listed so poorly. The guy said it was used, what I have found out since is that it was used BEFORE it was signed, not since. The date of the COA being just July of last year is also big. He also didn't give us any REAL pics of it, just used the ones from the Cameron Authentication site. The link to authentication in the auction also didn't work. I think if this were properly listed, it'll fetch at least $500.

Janthon,

I just want to try and figure this out. You purchased the putter for $325 after shipping (i remember seeing the auction before it ended). So you already have that much into it. Than you add on $12.20 for listing fee's - aprox $12.00 in FVF based on a $400 sale. So now we are up to $350. Shipping you can charge $15 - so then paypal is going to cost you another $15 in fee's... Wow that sounds like a lot of work for $35. If you can sell it for what you think it is worth, good luck - personally I think that it is a cool piece to own, but I am not sure what kind of value I would put on it.

Good luck with the sale!

Matt

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Well, I'm starting at 400. I'm hoping it'll end higher. If it does, I mean I really didn't do much work. I took a few pics and did a listing and made $35. Not too bad is it? If I don't get bids, oh well. It was worth a shot. It's the kind of thing that I think will be very hit or miss. If I get a bidding war, I make a ton. If I get nothing, I get shorted a bit. It's pretty high risk investment.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this in case anyone is wondering...

After the fairly negative response here, I decided to dump it and cut my losses. My friend Matt was intrigued by it and bought it for my purchase price, so I made even money. He then had me list it on BSG, where he got no sort of positive response. A friend of mine who posts here (wizard something something something) and I decided to buy it back, again for the purchase price and split the cost and then send it off to ebay. With both of us in on it, it became a lower risk investment. I put together a pretty sweet listing and whammo, little less than a day left and it's already at $510. Thanks for your input everyone!