2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

David Duval - 2009

kharmon

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get tired of the "washed up" comments. He has severe vertigo, a medical condition. My dad has that problem and it has destroyed his balance and golf game. In fact, many days he cannot play because he is bed ridden with nausea. My dad has a very extreme case, but even mild cases screw you up bad.

I agree that vertigo is debilitating. I had it for a short while, and was utterly miserable due to it. But, as Rod Laver used to say (as well as all the Hopman-era tennis players from Oz), "If you're injured, you shouldn't be out there. If you're out there, you're not injured."

We all know that that's not truly the case in a literal sense. It's a statement to show that if you're out there competing, you can't use it as a reason for poor performance. Tiger was playing the 2008 US Open on a broken leg and no ACL, and, as the old hymn says, "He never said a mumblin' word." Only AFTER the fact, and after deciding upon necessary surgery. There are plenty of other golfers and athletes in other sports who do the same; that "play hurt" and don't tell the world about it.

As far as DD is concerned, if he is still affected by vertigo, it's a shame his career will end in that manner. He'll be the Herb Score or Brian Piccolo of his time and his sport, although I certainly don't wish those tragedies upon him. But if he's still unable to focus due to that and plays unevenly as a result, I'm afraid he's done.

I know Nike has been really nice to him, but I'm suprised he hasn't at least tried going back to Titleist. I know it's probably not a big deal, but if he's trying to find his old form perhaps he should go back to what got him to the show in the first place. He didn't fall of the planet until he signed with Nike anyways. Man I would love it if he found his form again, because he's the reason I started golfing.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Has DD ever mentioned Vertigo?

I have never heard he had it except on this site?

Is it real or memorex something his fans made up to make them feel better about his pitiful play?

Yep, he had vertigo for a few weeks around the time of the masters about 3 or 4 years ago. I remember the telecast when he was sitting in a spectators chair. He shot something like 85. It was just one of many problems at the time....

I know Nike has been really nice to him, but I'm suprised he hasn't at least tried going back to Titleist. I know it's probably not a big deal, but if he's trying to find his old form perhaps he should go back to what got him to the show in the first place. He didn't fall of the planet until he signed with Nike anyways. Man I would love it if he found his form again, because he's the reason I started golfing.

His "break up" with Titleist was incredibly nasty - IIRC, it ended in litigation. My understanding was that titleist sued DD claiming that he had breached his contract with them by leaving the brand prematurely, and DD claimed that titleist had engaged in a prior breach (which relieved him of his contractual obligations) when it signed Phil Mickelson since DD's contract provided that he would be titleist's "marquee player." I think they settled in court, but there is BAD blood there. Highly doubt that he will be going anywhere near the titleist brand.

His "break up" with Titleist was incredibly nasty - IIRC, it ended in litigation. My understanding was that titleist sued DD claiming that he had breached his contract with them by leaving the brand prematurely, and DD claimed that titleist had engaged in a prior breach (which relieved him of his contractual obligations) when it signed Phil Mickelson since DD's contract provided that he would be titleist's "marquee player." I think they settled in court, but there is BAD blood there. Highly doubt that he will be going anywhere near the titleist brand.

Thanks for the info, I was un-aware of this. Still would like to see it happen though. Here's hoping he can find his game.

The projected cut is +3, he's currently +1. As long as he doesn't double any holes I think he's going to see the weekend. Have you seen his distance average for the week....sheesh, can still smash it.

Well Jer Jer I got this crow plucked and gutted do I grill it or roast

Man enough to say when I am wrong

Then again he still is not impressing me a bit

Swing

He shot the same score as Tiger on a tough windy day on a very difficult course. He made no putts today. I'd say he is rounding the bend...

This is his second tourney in a row that he has held the lead very early. He needs to do this a few time and get comfortable with success. At this point it seems to be mental, which bodes well for DD. I bet he has a great weekend and truly contends sometime this year.

Swing

He shot the same score as Tiger on a tough windy day on a very difficult course. He made no putts today. I'd say he is rounding the bend...

This is his second tourney in a row that he has held the lead very early. He needs to do this a few time and get comfortable with success. At this point it seems to be mental, which bodes well for DD. I bet he has a great weekend and truly contends sometime this year.

Been hearing the same story on him for over a year. Besides I was not all that impressed with TW today either.

read DD stats he has hit half the greens but his averaging about 1.6 per hole putting that aint bad.

Swing

Been hearing the same story on him for over a year. Besides I was not all that impressed with TW today either.

read DD stats he has hit half the greens but his averaging about 1.6 per hole putting that aint bad.

Many of his missed greens were fringes, but I hear you. I think he wants to play golf now, unlike before.

Got to pull for him at the open....he shot a 66 to move thru open qualifying!!!! Got to give him all the credit in the world for overcoming the vertigo and other obstacles. :clapping: :clapping:

CALLAWAY GBB EPIC SUBZERO 9* OBAN KIYOSHI PURPLE

07 BURNER TP 17.5* MATRIX CODE 8
ADAMS PRO GOLD 3H TOUR ISSUE NV 85
COBRA KING FORGED 5-GW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 56* RAW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 60* RAW KBS TOUR V
TOULON MILLED COLUMBUS CAMERON BLACK MATADOR MID
TAYLORMADE TP5X
CALLAWAY APEX UT 21* RECOIL 110 DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS

Did anyone see that his round went downhill after his ball smashed into a spectator? One of the announcers was saying Duval was extremely upset afte that happened and didn't recover.

YES, I was there, I saw everything, including his 31 on the front nine that should have been a 29 as he missed a 5 footer on #1 for birdie and lipped out on #2 for birdie.

It wasn't like his tee shot on #10 was a horrible shot, the guy was standing right beside the right fairway bunker when he was struck on the fly. DD was very upset when he approched the scene and saw the guy bent over with his head bleeding. DD called the paramedics over and spent a few minutes with him. The ball bounced off his head and further right and backwards into a tree. He was able to salvage a bogie, though he was very noticably upset.

His 2 doubles on the back nine were caused by missing greens long and left, short siding himself both times, exremely difficult up and downs at Muirfield in those areas.

DD is well on his way back to playing great golf, though. All you have to do is watch him play, he is very close to being very competitive.

...the guy was ... struck on the fly. DD was very upset when he approched the scene and saw the guy bent over with his head bleeding. DD called the paramedics over and spent a few minutes with him ... he was very noticably upset.

That's too bad.

I'm really pulling for David more and more these days. I wasn't into golf when he was at the top, but I've picked up enough of his story to become intrigued.

Is there a book/article on Duval anywhere the gets into his head as to what happened/why he lost "it" and why he's trying again? Something definative?

His swing fascinates me. Looking at his position at the top with the face of an iron pointing to the sky.....and the amount of rotation it takes to get that down pointing toward the target......really impressive.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Wow, didn't even know that he qualified.

Good for him. Here's to hoping for a top 10.

jon,

I walked 18 holes with him yesterday and was in AWE. He was 6 under on a VERY tight, old school tree lined course. HE HAS GAME. The cool thing was that I was always within 10 feet of him.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

jon,

I walked 18 holes with him yesterday and was in AWE. He was 6 under on a VERY tight, old school tree lined course. HE HAS GAME. The cool thing was that I was always within 10 feet of him.

Awesome! Any pics?

I'm always pulling for DD. I just hope he gets it figured out. It seems like 40% it's between the ears, and 40% of the time it's a physical ailment... and 10% he lights it up.

jon,

Awesome! Any pics?

I'm always pulling for DD. I just hope he gets it figured out. It seems like 40% it's between the ears, and 40% of the time it's a physical ailment... and 10% he lights it up.

I found a website davidduval.org which seems to be associated with him. Has a bunch of pics, video clips and scorecards from Monday.

http://www.davidduval.org/majors_us_open_qualifier_2009.htm

Got to give Duval some credit.

Oh dear, he wore cargo camo shorts and was sans-shirt tuck by the parking lot. Good for him for qualifying but he is looking really sloppy lately. Especially the swing: http://www.davidduval.org/images/Duval%20-%20Driver.avi . wtf is the deal with that follow through and almost falling over.

Signature David Duval swing. Look at the 1999-2001 era.