2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

David Duval - 2009

kharmon

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David displayed a lot of courage out there today.....as with others, a few breaks would have put it in his lap.

What a great "phoenix rising from the ashes" story, though!

But Lucas is a very nice guy and had a really tough time getting over losing Dick, so I'm happy that he won if David couldn't.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Hopefully his T-2 means that he has earned enough money to hold his card for next year. His perseverance throughout the tournament is the same that he's displayed while trying to get things back in line. It was also wonderful that he smiled in the interview today and this weekend...looks like he's starting to have fun again.

i would not be thinking like that... hopefully with the finish and confidence he can win this year.

$559,000 for his T2 performance. Puts him at $612,000 for the season. Probably about 3/4s of the way to securing a card for next year. 125 after last week was $315,000, so for the time being anyway he is safely inside the top 125.

Plus he gets into the US Open next year and the Masters....

Yes it does, and it should get him into the PGA as well. Halfway decent performances there and at the Open championship should pretty much lock things up for 2010.

It would be nice to see a win make it all a moot point for a little while, but for now, he's on the right track.

Speaking of unlucky, someone was saying a few weeks ago how many of his tournament wins from his strong stretch no longer exist in the format they were(Michelob and Disney, Tuscon, Bell South & Buick challenge, and NEC World Series of Golf is now a WGC event), or are tournaments like the Players, Tour Championship, etc., where for various reasons past champions don't experience the same kind of "exemption" status as someone who has won a consistent tour stop. For a guy with so many wins on his record, but losing all exemtions except top 50 all time money, he had a hard time getting into a lot of tournaments. His schedule was risking looking a little sparse.

But I think this week took care of that for a while...

Big DD fan, made for a great U.S. Open to watch this year. Just caught this over on espn.com Jason Sobel's Blog:

1:54 p.m. ET: E-mail from Michael in Michigan:

What does David Duval's second-place finish do for him for this year and next? Does he qualify for the next two majors and next year's Masters? Will his money be enough to secure a card for next year?

It does a ton of good stuff for him. First, Double-D will now be eligible for each of the next four major championships -- the British Open and PGA this year, and the 2010 Masters and U.S. Open. As for trying to keep his card -- something that was very much in doubt entering this week -- he went a long way toward earning full privileges for next season. Like fellow runners-up Phil Mickelson and Ricky Barnes, Duval earns $559,830. Believe it or not, he had won only $53,284 in 2009 coming into this week. That new total now puts him at 80-something on the money list, well within the top 125. Based on last year's money list, he'd need to earn about a quarter-million more to retain his card.

Big DD fan, made for a great U.S. Open to watch this year. Just caught this over on espn.com Jason Sobel's Blog:

1:54 p.m. ET: E-mail from Michael in Michigan:

What does David Duval's second-place finish do for him for this year and next? Does he qualify for the next two majors and next year's Masters? Will his money be enough to secure a card for next year?

It does a ton of good stuff for him. First, Double-D will now be eligible for each of the next four major championships -- the British Open and PGA this year, and the 2010 Masters and U.S. Open. As for trying to keep his card -- something that was very much in doubt entering this week -- he went a long way toward earning full privileges for next season. Like fellow runners-up Phil Mickelson and Ricky Barnes, Duval earns $559,830. Believe it or not, he had won only $53,284 in 2009 coming into this week. That new total now puts him at 80-something on the money list, well within the top 125. Based on last year's money list, he'd need to earn about a quarter-million more to retain his card.

Great news to hear! Thanks!

David displayed a lot of courage out there today.....as with others, a few breaks would have put it in his lap.

But Lucas is a very nice guy and had a really tough time getting over losing Dick, so I'm happy that he won if David couldn't.

Ok what did I miss here? How did he lose his dick? Does he have a pump up one now? Or one of those metal rod ones that you can "sculpt into action" yourself?

Ok what did I miss here? How did he lose his dick? Does he have a pump up one now? Or one of those metal rod ones that you can "sculpt into action" yourself?

Your intellect is truly remarkable........ I can only hope you were trying to be comedic.

My sincerest congratulations to Double D. I hope that this is simply a single step on his way back to the top.

Not really funny, is it?

anyone have a bet on him?

i got 600/1 on wednesday so had an each way bet

might get a new big stick with my winnings :P

dave was my favourite player when i first started so i was loving it when he played so well this week. hope theres more left in the tank for him yet!

Driver: M2, Ventus black

3w: Mizuno st 200, tense I blue

Hybrid: Mizuno clk 19

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 tours

wedges: Bettinardi HLX 3.0

Putter: Scotty Cameron H19

Alseep was referring top Dick Harmon who died recently.

Your post and replies are a joke mate.

Think before you post

Love DD!!! I hope he is back for good.

Regular tour events though are not the same as the Open. His regular play on the tour for the last number of years has been like playing the open - lots of scrambling and shooting around even par - so not surprised to see him do well as his scrambling ability has been excellent given where he has been hitting his driver.

Hopefully, the driver accuracy returns - I think this was good for him to get his confidence back, so I hope the real DD is here to stay! He really is one of the best putters on the tour, so if he gets his GIR and Fairways hit up to the top 20 on tour, he could be the guy that challenges Tiger and Phil week in & week out again.

GO DD!!!!!!!!!!!!

DD is showing that he can keep it together and not let a bad shot disrupt him, he was always my favorite golfer, so darn happy for him!

I have always loved the way he deals with adversity. Very mature and calm. I would have killed something after I made that triple. He just walked off like it was some easy par. Even when he bogied 17, he still was waving to the fans and smiling. What a great example of patience.

The question for me is not if/when DD makes his comeback into the winners circle, but if this finish will open some floodgates that have been holding David back for a long time. Lee Westwood had a similar dry spell (albeit shorter) and came back pretty strong after his confidence returned, and DD has also been sitting on a whole lot of talent.

I'll go out on a limb and predict a win in 2009 for Duval. He proved yesterday that he's once again more than tough enough to get the job done.

Edit: Overnight DD has advanced in the WOFM from #882 to #142. Pretty cool.

I think the fact he looked like a robot with no emotion showing behind his oakleys for years turned some people off, i admit i based on that found him a bit aloof...but i find it hard for anyone not to symphathize with being the best in world...then one of the worst pro's....

...very nice to see this and hopefully whatever mental blocks he has broken thru...stick. Good on ya david.

DD is showing that he can keep it together and not let a bad shot disrupt him, he was always my favorite golfer, so darn happy for him!

I have always loved the way he deals with adversity. Very mature and calm. I would have killed something after I made that triple. He just walked off like it was some easy par. Even when he bogied 17, he still was waving to the fans and smiling. What a great example of patience.

Funny that his mentality, even keelness and so called lack of expressing emotion is something we all desire and is obviously a necessity to be competitive at that level is exactly what he has been criticized for all these years. How many comments have been made about the glasses and all that crap. the guy is and has always been a gamer.

I have an article from Sports Illustrated some years ago that detailed a little of why DD was so withdrawn. He had a brother who had cancer. David donated bone marrow for his brother and doctors thought for a while he would survive. But, his brother died anyway and David blamed himself. I'm sure a lot of people do not know that about him and don't understand why he has always been a loner. It's nice that a large family has really opened him up some.

I have always been a huge DD fan and I am so happy to see him playing well again. I predict a win for him this year as well! I noticed yesterday that he is still using his Scotty Cameron from some years ago. He really made some clutch putts with it.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

Every time David Duval was having a good round, I would come and get this thread going. As soon as I posted, he fell apart. This week I played it smart and waited until the tournament was over. I didn't want to jinx him.

Way to go DD!

Then you are summarily banned from this thread until he secures his tour card!!!....lol....