Planning AZ vacation

zenchili

What courses would you play
Hi everyone,

Planning a little getaway in late January to Phoenix/Scottsdale area, with a buddy and maybe a few more people. 5 day trip with 4 four nights, and would like to play 36 holes at least 3 times.

Thinking of playing the following courses.

1. Papago
2. ASU Karsten (Maybe 36 hole day)
3. TPC Champions (36 hole day)
4. McCormick Ranch Pine and Palms (36 hole day)
5. ?
6. ?

Haven't yet figured out the other courses.

The schedule will probably be something like this
Arrive Thurs: play 18 holes
Friday: 36
Sat: 36
Sun: 36
Mon: 36 or 18 depending on when the return flight is, most likely 18.

Don't need the faciest resort courses. Just want to play some good courses, that will be fun, and in the 60-100 range for the 1st round with maybe a good replay rate.

Are there any courses that you would recommend? BTW this will be my first time playing desert golf. I've played lots of golf in Florida and the Northeast, but never out west.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a good fun inexpensive course check out the 500 club on Pinnacle Peak rd and 65th ave, No homes on the course and right in your price range

Papago=good course now with the redesign complete

Karsten, not crazy about the layout and Power plant scenery

TPC Champions is a real good track

McCormick, More of a traditional parkland style Pine is much better than Palms IMO

Expensive courses but really are must play

Wekopa both Cholla and Saguaro, Grayhawk, Legend Trail(some of the best greens in town), Gold Canyon Dinosaur course, or Troon

Use www.golfnow.com you may be able to get last minute deals around 100$ or so at some good courses

I would suggest if you are going to be here that long if at all possible splurge for at least one good round Wekopa, Grayhawk, Troon, etc it would be well worth it even if it only means playing 18 one day

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...179150&st=0

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Expensive courses but really are must play

Wekopa both Cholla and Saguaro, Grayhawk, Legend Trail(some of the best greens in town), Gold Canyon Dinosaur course, or Troon

If you had to pick your top three of these, which would the be?

Wekopa Saguaro, Cholla, then Troon. I still cant decided which I like better Monument or Pinnacle, right now I give the slight edge to Monument

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Well, since my trip will be completed by then :rolleyes: , I hear One_Putt_Blunder is going to open a travel agency, and he'll get you all set up for half the price the other places will charge you for services.... :clapping:

Seriously though, the info available here and elsewhere, along with golfnow make planning your own trip pretty easy.

Hello Zen,

I'm certain that where ever you end up, you will enjoy your golf visit to Phoenix.

First of all, as a resident, I'm unfamiliar with any of the agents and package deals so I can't help you there.

January is the high season for golf in Phoenix and the rates for the top level daily fee courses are $$$. Troon, Grayhawk, and the TPC Stadium courses are notoriously the leaders in the price gouging contest.

$60-100 will limit you to 2nd tier courses, but you can do well with that budget.

Papago is just reopening after a major renovation and I am hopeful that they did a good job because it was a tremendous layout that was long neglected by the city. It seems they will be operating under the Torrey Pines/Bethpage/Chambers Bay model of higher rates for the out-of-towners. Should be delightful and a great course to walk.

TPC Champions course is strong course and a good value and a good walk as well.

Karsten I really never cared for much. Kinda goofy.

McCormick Ranch was one of the first "country club for a day" style daily fee courses that has been overshadowed buy stronger offerings over the past few decades. It offers a more traditional layout (not a desert experience) with trees and lakes (and houses)

If you were to splurge on one round - We-Ko-Pa Saguaro would be the most recommended. It would give you the best feel for the desert golf experience, with vast views not impeded by any surrounding houses. They do offer a 36-hole rate, so you might check it out and play the Cholla course as well.

Legend Trail is a great course, probably in the same price range as We-Ko-Pa, but part of a housing development.

Some other suggestions (somewhat wide spread throughout the valley - assuming you will have a rental car) for courses that won't be in the $200+ range, yet still offer great golf.

- Raven @ Verrado - A real estate cartball course but very fun, great mix of interesting holes.

- Vista Verde - This is the best kept secret in Phoenix. Course was built in advance of the real estate slump so the housing development is on hold. Basically there are no roads, no clubhouse and no houses to mar the fantastic mountain views. You check in and pay at the Tonto Verde golf shop down the road, then drive up to the VV "trailer" A great value, Ken Kavanaugh course, likely <$125.

Check out golfnow.com for deals.

Well, since my trip will be completed by then :rolleyes: , I hear One_Putt_Blunder is going to open a travel agency, and he'll get you all set up for half the price the other places will charge you for services.... :clapping:

Seriously though, the info available here and elsewhere, along with golfnow make planning your own trip pretty easy.

LOL thanks,

I have been lucky enough to play a lot of real good courses out here in the 13yrs I have lived here. I dont like playing the same course more than once during the year with the obvious exceptions, being wekopa troon etc.

I agree with blue fan there are a ton of resources on here to get all the info you need for a trip with out having to use an "agency" Myself Tjy355 and Poppyhillsguy and others have all posted a bunch of stuff in the SW course design/reviews section.

Golfnow by far has some of the best deals running, the downside is you have to book kinda last minute I would also suggest signing up for the email discounts through some of the others like Grayhawk Troon Legend Trail as they usually will send out some last minute deals. Also sign up for golfnow(free of charge) and subscribe to the email deals as they usually have some good ones in there that you can only get through the email link. I know its nice to have the trip and tee times all planned out and booked in advance, but there are so many choices to play here and an abundace of availible tee times, you can really benefit by booking late.

Op feel free to shoot me a PM the week you get here and I can send you any of the latest email deals I have recieved.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I agree with the above posts about courses. I think for pure scenery and experience, Gold Canyon has the others beat. I've played it twice and would play it over and over. One of my sleeper courses that I always like is Las Sendas. I think it is challenging and has some pretty good views, even though it is surrounded by houses. Longbow is not that bad as well. I also think that for pure customer service Raven at South Mountain is the best in the Valley. Good luck!

LOL thanks,

I have been lucky enough to play a lot of real good courses out here in the 13yrs I have lived here. I dont like playing the same course more than once during the year with the obvious exceptions, being wekopa troon etc.

I agree with blue fan there are a ton of resources on here to get all the info you need for a trip with out having to use an "agency" Myself Tjy355 and Poppyhillsguy and others have all posted a bunch of stuff in the SW course design/reviews section.

Golfnow by far has some of the best deals running, the downside is you have to book kinda last minute I would also suggest signing up for the email discounts through some of the others like Grayhawk Troon Legend Trail as they usually will send out some last minute deals. Also sign up for golfnow(free of charge) and subscribe to the email deals as they usually have some good ones in there that you can only get through the email link. I know its nice to have the trip and tee times all planned out and booked in advance, but there are so many choices to play here and an abundace of availible tee times, you can really benefit by booking late.

Op feel free to shoot me a PM the week you get here and I can send you any of the latest email deals I have recieved.

Thanks. You guys have been really helpful. I would like to have the tee times booked but if what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, then maybe it makes sens to get the flight, the hotel, and the rental car, and then get my golf setup the week before.

Thanks. You guys have been really helpful. I would like to have the tee times booked but if what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, then maybe it makes sens to get the flight, the hotel, and the rental car, and then get my golf setup the week before.

No Problem, I will add that Wekopa is not on the golfnow site so if you guys do want to play there and I highly recomend you do so, I would book that one in advance to make sure you get a good tee time. Call the shop and ask about any specials for your group they may be able to help(it never hurts to ask for a deal)

And to add another disclaimer The hot deals(email specials) on golf now tend to run more so for afternoon tee times.

The Troon Managed courses Troon, Talking stick(another great course/north course), Kierland, Ocotillo, Poston Butte, Whirlwind etc will discount their prices about 3-4 days before you play. Ex: book Thursday/Friday for Sunday/Monday play.

Most Importantly enjoy the hell out of your trip. That is a busy time of year for us with Barrett Jackson Auto Auction, then the FBR all kinds of good stuff going on.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

LOL thanks,

I won't even ask for a publicity fee....lol....

one thing I am tryng to figure out(and this would probably be good info for the board). On golfnow I put in the email address, and it asked for zip/postal code. Does golfnow send them out based on that? I couldn't find anywhere to get the Phoenix deals emailed....should we be entering a zip from Phoenix do you figure?

I have not received any emails from golfnow, probably because they figure(correctly so, I am very upset to say) we're under a couple of feet of snow.....

SKIP Karsten......its not a bad course...but certainly not somewhere to go if your from out of town. I feel it is more of a training course....draws, cuts, correct yardage off the tee etc.....not worth playing.

Legend Trail is the most underrated right now...outstanding service and greens

Troon

Wekopa

Gold Mtn.....ya just cannot go wrong.

McCormick?...skip it...your in the desert...play desert golf

Others I would look at is Southern Dunes and Whirlwind...south of Phoenix but not far..well within an hour

Golfnow is the best for times....

Epic Project X LZ 6.0
Epic 15* Project X LZ 6.0
19* and 23* Titleist 916H2
2018 X-Forged Proj X 5-P
MD3 50, 54, 58
PXG Dagger

Haven't played the better courses in the Phoenix area (lived in Tucson for a while), but I'll agree that Raven at Verrado is a very nice course with a lot of excellent holes; Tom Lehman design I think. The, price wasn't bad and the grille room had some really good food. Nice staff too.

one thing I am tryng to figure out(and this would probably be good info for the board). On golfnow I put in the email address, and it asked for zip/postal code. Does golfnow send them out based on that? I couldn't find anywhere to get the Phoenix deals emailed....should we be entering a zip from Phoenix do you figure?

I have not received any emails from golfnow, probably because they figure(correctly so, I am very upset to say) we're under a couple of feet of snow.....

I am pretty sure they send out the emails based on zip code. Or log in and go to my account - Email Preferences and select golfnow.com/phoenix as an option and you should start recieving them, If you still dont get them the week you are here just let me know and I will forward my email to you so you can get the hot deals that way.

Southern Dunes does look intriging I was waiting to hear from someone who has played there always thought it was private(Royal Dunes??), but I guess that has changed. I might need to make the trek down there to play.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I am pretty sure they send out the emails based on zip code. Or log in and go to my account - Email Preferences and select golfnow.com/phoenix as an option and you should start recieving them, If you still dont get them the week you are here just let me know and I will forward my email to you so you can get the hot deals that way.

Southern Dunes does look intriging I was waiting to hear from someone who has played there always thought it was private(Royal Dunes??), but I guess that has changed. I might need to make the trek down there to play.

OK, maybe I am in a complete trance and can't see something directly in front of my face, but I don't see anywhere to log-in on the home page. And I really can't remember seeing one before. I've signed up at least twice for emails.....

Maybe they know where we are searching things and don't allow us Canucks to sign up.....

Here ya go, sorry its a bit small as I am running multiple monitors but the correct order is pic 2,3,1

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Hi Guys,

Here are my Fav courses in the PHX / Scottsdale Area:

We-Ko-Pa Saguro - awesome

We-Ko-Pa Cholla - awesome

Gold Canyon - Dinosaur Course - awesome

However, I also really like Talking Stick - North course. There is something about that course that when you walk on it, it takes you away from everything and the setting is so serene. No homes or sounds to distort the moment. Tough but driver friendly course - very wide fairways.

I have been to PHX about half dozen times on golf trips and the courses mentioned are always on the top of the list.

Has anyone played the new course SE of PHX called Poston Butte? Looks very nice and great rates too.

Enjoy!

TK3

My set-up:
Bag - Flex Tech Crossover
Driver - Ping G430 MAX with HZRDUS Black Smoke

3 Wood - Ping G430

Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 Hybrid
Irons - Cobra King Tour irons

Wedges - Ping Glide 4  50* / 54* / 58*
Putter - Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
Shoes - Ecco Hybrid
Ball - Maxfli Tour X

My buddy just played Southern Dunes and it got top marks from him, and at 59 bucks its a steal.

Also, if you're gonna be downdown, dont sleep on playing VIstal. Pretty fun track(nothing like some of the big $$$ courses posted in this thread) but you can get out there for $25 via golfnow.

Shoot me apm if you need a playing buddy!

I'd like to try out some of the other courses mentioned.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options