2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist Voodoo shaft issues

andyville99

specifics re: complaints????
When I first bought my new 909D2 and 909F2 both with the Titleist Voodoo shafts (S flex) I saw a lot of complaints on these forums claiming that the shaft sucked, it was weak, etc.

During my initial honeymoon period with these clubs, I didn't necessarily agree with the criticism. However, now after having played with them for about 15 rounds, I've found that I'm MUCH wilder with the driver, and hitting misses that are unusual for me (I'm a 0.8 hdcp, with SS around 100).

I keep hitting these big wild high balloon slices with the driver, and that has never been my typical miss. If anything I've tended to fight a hook - not with this baby though!

So, this week, I put my 9.5 HiBore XLS in the bag and lo and behold I hit it dead straight. So after I played yesterday I took my HiBore, my 909, and my asst. pro's 909 (with a V2 76g S-flex shaft) to the range. Hit my HiBore dead straight, hit my pro's 909 dead straight, and hit big banana balls with my 909. There was a noticeable difference in how the head of his 909 feels compared to mine. Mine feels very toe-heavy (which would explain leaving it out to the right). But why would there be such a difference in the weight distribution between mine and his. He did get his made in the Titleist tour van in August when he qualified for the Wyndham Championship in Greensboro, so it's an authentic "tour" head, I suppose. But overall the difference in how I hit mine versus his is just night and day.

FWIW, I was playing a 905R before the 909. I have two - one with a YS-7 S and one with the Titleist Speeder S shaft - both have performed well for me, and both of those shafts play very similar. They're close in weight (76-78g) and the Speeder plays a touch softer than the YS-7, but both seem to work for me.

So, for those of you who have found you don't like the Voodoo shaft, does this match the kind of issues you've had or has it been something different. I'm trying to decide whether to just sell the club on ebay, or re-shaft it. But I hate to sink more $$$ into it with a new shaft if the head is too toe-heavy.

Thoughts????

Thanks, Andy

Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5, Grafalloy ProLite S

Mizuno JPX 850 3W @ 13*

Mizuno JPX 850 5W @ 16*

Mizuno MP-20 3-PW, 2* Up, DG 120 S

Mizuno S18 Wedges 50, 56

Putter - always changing!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which weight class of VooDoo and what flex ? Titleist VooDoo are design to be softer, especially by the tip.

These are Ok for smooth swinger in most cases. I almost can bet you that you lag your driver very well on your down swing, thus the toe came in late due to not enough flex or tip stiff enough to bring it back to square at impact. I want be surprise if you are quick tempo and agressive swinger.

Plus VooDoo are skinnier by the grip compare to V2 ( most customer told me they loose the feel of the club if it to skinny by the butt area, especially if the grip size got effected by it ), Speeder and YS7. YS7 and V2 are more of a high kick tip stiff and low torque design shaft, as of the speeder.... I'm assuming you are talking about titleist speeder shaft, this shaft also have sligtly softer tip compare to the real speeder 757, but yet this shaft is low torque enough to handle your swing profile AND TO TOP IT ALL, your 905 is a bore through head with most likely all your shaft installed all the way in on those 905R. This installation factor alone will play those shaft a lot stiffer ( almost a full flex ).

Cheers!

joe

Thanks Joe. Mine is the Titleist version of the Voodoo in Stiff flex. It's supposed to be a 72g shaft with 3.3 torque, and I preferred it over the Titleist Diamana, which is lighter. I hit the Titleist Diamana (same head 9.5), and it ballooned big time on me. Comparatively, the Voodoo didn't balloon.

Actually, I have a fairly smooth tempo, not overly aggressive and the last time I had my swing speed measured it was 98-100. I carry the ball about 240 - typical good drive for me is about 260.

While I hit my asst pro's 909 very straight, the V2 shaft felt very stiff to me, I suppose because of the 2.2 torque rating. I've found most shafts I like are around 3.0 torque - just better feeling IMO. The Titleist Speeder and the YS-7 shafts in my 905R's are both 3.0 torque if I remember correctly. So, perhaps like you say, maybe the tip design in the Titleist Voodoo is just too soft and with the slightly higher torque, that could be adding up to what's causing the issue. I still wonder why the head feels so toe heavy though. After my range session I had my pro waggle both drivers (mine and his) and he agreed that the balance of the heads felt noticeably different - weird....

I have a Tour Edge driver with an Aldila VS Proto 65-S shaft. What would you think the results would be of putting that shaft in my 909? I haven't hit the Tour Edge enough to know if I really like that shaft, but I see a lot of superlatives on this forum about that shaft....

Mizuno JPX 850 3W @ 13*

Mizuno JPX 850 5W @ 16*

Mizuno S18 Wedges 50, 56

Thanks Joe. Mine is the Titleist version of the Voodoo in Stiff flex. It's supposed to be a 72g shaft with 3.3 torque, and I preferred it over the Titleist Diamana, which is lighter. I hit the Titleist Diamana (same head 9.5), and it ballooned big time on me. Comparatively, the Voodoo didn't balloon.

So, perhaps like you say, maybe the tip design in the Titleist Voodoo is just too soft and with the slightly higher torque, that could be adding up to what's causing the issue.

I have a Tour Edge driver with an Aldila VS Proto 65-S shaft. What would you think the results would be of putting that shaft in my 909? I haven't hit the Tour Edge enough to know if I really like that shaft, but I see a lot of superlatives on this forum about that shaft....

... Let me start off by saying Joe knows more about shafts than I ever will, but he is slightly off ; ) concerning the Titleist VooDoo. The Titleist VooDoo is nearly identical to the aftermarket VooDoo. Yes, it is a hair softer in overall flex, and a few gms heavier, but again the tip is also nearly identical. Most golfers will not be able to tell any difference regardless of what folks perpetuate on forums. However, all the info Joe gave you about your swing and your loading capacity probably plays a much bigger role than the shaft imo. Fwiw, the VooDoo has produced by far, the straightest drives I have ever hit. This does not mean it will do the same for you, but it went straight into PGA Pro's bags with one demo, so wild shots are most likely not the shafts fault. Joe can comment, but you might try tipping the VooDoo and see if you get different results.

... Also the stock speeder in your 905r had an extended tip section to compensate for the bore-thru (thankfuly Titleist has done away with this antiquated design) but if the YS7 was installed as an aftermarket shaft, it would certainly play stiffer installed full bore, keeping in mind that it has a stiffer tip than the VooDoo to begin with.

.. As far as the VS Proto, the VooDoo is based off that profile and is basically a VS Proto that does not deform as much due to internal ribbing. So if the VooDoo is not working for you, I doubt the VS Proto will either. I also think the head may be more of the culprit than the shaft, and as far fetched as it may seem... maybe it's your swing? Sometimes a given piece of equipment fails for a number of reasons, certainly from poor play on our behalves, but once you have had a bad experience it is quite difficult to regain confidence in that equipment even though it was not the equipments fault. There are lakes filled with putters that did nothing wrong. : )

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Titleist VooDoo has a 1" extra by the tip compare to the regular voodoo.

This alone will tell you that is about 1/2 flex softer in average shafts case. I've confirmed this already with all the source (Titleist and Aldila and through the experiences working on them, plus tested 3 months ago with titleist tour van extensively (3 hrs range time).

Me myself ordered 2 909D3 with 7&6 series regular VooDoo and 1 COMP with GD Throttle. I've been playing some more of all these set up find the right setting for my self. I have a few more VooDoo coming from Aldila for tweaking and testing to make me understand deeper about setting them up correctly to my customers. Thus, at this moment I can't say yet how much tipping you need to fit your spec and swing style.

All I can tell you now is that straight in no tipping S flex on reg one is to soft for my 108mph average SS.

Joe

Guys, thanks for the input. Re: the chance that the issue could be my swing.... hey, it's always the club's fault isn't it!!! :rolleyes: Actually I've thought that I could be altering my downswing a bit due to the effort of trying get what feels like a toe-heavy head thru the ball. That could lead to too much right hand, throwing the club outside/over the plane, and there ya go!! I'm a 0.8 hdcp and have a fairly consistent swing. I was a +2 during the summer til I started switching irons....

Last week, I took all my drivers (list below) to the range and hit them all extensively, and the 909 was the only one I was losing the ball to the right with, and losing it big time. The drivers I hit were (all S flex):

8.5 905R with stock Titleist Speeder

8.5 905R with factory installed YS-7

9.5 2007 Burner TP with 65g Fuji TP shaft

9.0 Tour Edge Tour Proto with VS Proto 65

9.5 Cleveland HiBore XLS Tour with Red Stock Fuji

9.0 Mizuno Pro 300S II with Penley Stealth 70

8.5 MacGregor VFoil 350 with YS-6

9.5 909 D2 with Stock Voodoo

Since I didn't lose any to the right except the 909, that's why I was anxious to hit my pro's 909, which I did yesterday (with the V2 shaft) and I hit his dead straight (his also had a much crisper sound at impact - mine sounds almost like the head is deforming at impact!! And, from previous experience, I've found that the same head can sound radically different with a different shaft in it.). Maybe a better option than putting the VS Proto 65 in it would be to put my Penley Stealth 70 in it, especially since I never use that driver anyway. That would at least tell me if the head is oddly weighted, because it sure feels toe heavy compared to my pro's. Makes me wonder if they put rat glue in it and it settled in the toe?? When I sat his down next to mine the face angle and loft look identical - there doesn't appear to be any noticeable external difference.

Mizuno JPX 850 3W @ 13*

Mizuno JPX 850 5W @ 16*

Mizuno S18 Wedges 50, 56

Actually I've thought that I could be altering my downswing a bit due to the effort of trying get what feels like a toe-heavy head thru the ball. That could lead to too much right hand, throwing the club outside/over the plane, and there ya go!! I'm a 0.8 hdcp and have a fairly consistent swing. I was a +2 during the summer til I started switching irons....

... That could certainly be the case. The Pro's usually don't hit more than 2 to 3 shots with a club that does not produce the desired results or feel because they will start consciously or sub-consciously altering their swings to compensate for performance or feel. You guys are good!!! : )

Isn't the Voodoo a backweighted shaft??? :beruo:

Backweighted shafts were used with the Cobra L4Vx. My L4Vx came in at around 208 grams as I recall. Very heavy head.

Has anyone weighed the new Titleist heads? Are they heavy as well? (My Speed Pro D also came in at a whopping 208 grams.) Maybe this is the new trend with Acushnet drivers? If someone can get a head weight on the 909, that would be great!

With my L4Vx, it was such a heavy head that if I got too quick from the top, I left it out to the right big time. It was just a matter of the club's total static weight being so heavy. The counter-balanced Cobra stock redboard shaft kept the swingweight in check. I wonder if the new Titleist heads aren't maybe a bit heavy to up their 'MOI?"

The "Tour issued" L4Vx heads actually weighed less than the retails. That could be the difference between your pro's setup and yours. His "Tour" 909 head might,in fact, be lighter to allow for more swingweight adjustment. :friends:

Titleist VooDoo has a 1" extra by the tip compare to the regular voodoo. This alone will tell you that is about 1/2 flex softer in average shafts case. I've confirmed this already with all the source (Titleist and Aldila and through the experiences working on them, plus tested 3 months ago with titleist tour van extensively (3 hrs range time).

Joe

... Joe, again you know more about shafts than I, with the exception of Aldila shafts. I know you are only going from experience and you only have your customers best interest at heart, but your source at Aldila gave you some bad info. Because I think the VooDoo from Titleist is the best stock shaft ever offered by them, I think it is important GolfWRX folks get the truth. I have played golf with the VP of Engineering, the guy who designed MLT and all of Aldila's current shafts. He has assured me the Titleist VooDoo shaft does not have an additional 1" on the tip. These are his words "The Titleist VooDoo does not have any extra tip length or extra parallel in the tip than the Aldila VooDoo. It is a 46 inch shaft with 3” of parallel tip, just like the Aldila version. As I stated before they are very similar in flex profile, with the Titleist shafts being 2 or 3 cpm softer overall, but with almost the exact same tip stiffness. The torques are within a couple of tenths of a degree of each other, also. The Titleist VooDoo’s are about 5 grams heavier than the Aldila VooDoo."

... Iz Awl Gud Joseph!!! Hope all is well with you and congrats on your partnership with Scratch Golf!!!

Titleist VooDoo has a 1" extra by the tip compare to the regular voodoo. This alone will tell you that is about 1/2 flex softer in average shafts case. I've confirmed this already with all the source (Titleist and Aldila and through the experiences working on them, plus tested 3 months ago with titleist tour van extensively (3 hrs range time).

Joe

... Joe, again you know more about shafts than I, with the exception of Aldila shafts. I know you are only going from experience and you only have your customers best interest at heart, but your source at Aldila gave you some bad info. Because I think the VooDoo from Titleist is the best stock shaft ever offered by them, I think it is important GolfWRX folks get the truth. I have played golf with the VP of Engineering, the guy who designed MLT and all of Aldila's current shafts. He has assured me the Titleist VooDoo shaft does not have an additional 1" on the tip. These are his words "The Titleist VooDoo does not have any extra tip length or extra parallel in the tip than the Aldila VooDoo. It is a 46 inch shaft with 3” of parallel tip, just like the Aldila version. As I stated before they are very similar in flex profile, with the Titleist shafts being 2 or 3 cpm softer overall, but with almost the exact same tip stiffness. The torques are within a couple of tenths of a degree of each other, also. The Titleist VooDoo’s are about 5 grams heavier than the Aldila VooDoo."

... Iz Awl Gud Joseph!!! Hope all is well with you and congrats on your partnership with Scratch Golf!!!

I'm not doubting your info Chisag. I love the Titliest Voodoo! But if the shafts are so very close why have different shafts (OEM Voodoovs. ALdila Voodoo) and why are there small differences such as weight, torque?

My guess is quality of construction? Aldila manufactures the OEM version with a cheaper method?? Does the Aldila version get better glue for the layers??

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm not doubting your info Chisag. I love the Titliest Voodoo! But if the shafts are so very close why have different shafts (OEM Voodoovs. ALdila Voodoo) and why are there small differences such as weight, torque?

My guess is quality of construction? Aldila manufactures the OEM version with a cheaper method?? Does the Aldila version get better glue for the layers??

... This is just an educated guess on my part. Aldila has always had a very good relationship with Titleist. Titleist WANTS to have their own shafts to offer the general public. So they request a VERY slight modification so they can call it an "ALDILA VOODOO FOR TITLEIST". Unlike forum readers who are ahead of the curve, everyday golfers don't like strange shafts in their drivers. They have more confidence in the "made for Titleist" than an after market upgrade. Strange but true. I have heard many everyday golfers skip an after market upgrade shaft and buy "one of Titleist shafts". I have also heard employees at Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith say made for Titleist are better because it is tested and made specifically for that head!!! However... The quality of construction and the materials used are the same, and I imagine Titleist buying a ton of shafts in advance makes all the difference.

Let's straighten up up something that bend a little here. :)

I never say bad nor good about either shafts on how it is build or set up. I'm only trying to help to find the source why he might not hit the ball straight enough to his expectation.

As everyone knows that I'm big on NO SHAFT IS BAD IF YOU GOT FITTED PROPERLY. I'm sure titleist VooDoo is very good shaft to most average joe golfer if they are fitted properly, this is why they did what they did.

I hope personal sensitivity need to be set a side to be able to open our eyes here, This way no one misunderstood the whole purpose on all these post and every body got the right answer.

So Base on my measurements as of now and as far as I know, there is extra 1" lenght if we are looking at it from the position of the logo/graphics. I can take a pictures the next time i have a chance if any body here is so eager to see what I'm talking about. Again I'm not the one who design these shaft, so I only go base on what I got. BTW, I was stripping the 909D3 set up with this shaft on the DEMO days, This is why I order 2 different set up regular VooDoo S flex tipped 1". I was just a little wilder with the Titleist Voodoo X flex.

Let's go back to the topic please!

Chisag is my IDOL!!! ;)

Cheers!

Joe

Let's straighten up up something that bend a little here. :)

I never say bad nor good about either shafts on how it is build or set up. I'm only trying to help to find the source why he might not hit the ball straight enough to his expectation.

So Base on my measurements as of now and as far as I know, there is extra 1" lenght if we are looking at it from the position of the logo/graphics. I can take a pictures the next time i have a chance if any body here is so eager to see what I'm talking about. Again I'm not the one who design these shaft, so I only go base on what I got.

Let's go back to the topic please!

Chisag is my IDOL!!! ;)

Cheers!

... Like I said Joe, It's all good. The ONLY comment I was referring to was the additional 1" on the tip. The graphics may be different, but the shaft is not. I don't think anyone thought you were saying anything bad about the VooDoo, and I'm sure everyone here knows you try and put the right person in the right shaft. But when the Aldila design engineer says there is no additional tip I think the forum members understand it is HIS design and understands he wants that info to be correct.

... Maybe I'll send you an autographed copy of the Dark Knight!!! : )

• 4 weeks later...

Joe

Sorry to jump in here but you're saying that the 3.3tq mid-hi 73grm Titleist Voodoo @47.5" won't play any different then Aldila's Voodoo VS6 with 3.5tq mid-hi 68grm @46.5" length? I find that hard to believe because there's an 1" in overall length to begin with before being cut to length. Seems the Aldila's 68grm would play much stiffer.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Guys, as a followup on this thread, I decided to pull the Penley Stealth 70 out of my Mizuno Pro 300SII driver, and installed it in my 909D2. I didn't have high hopes that it would be much different but thought I'd give it a try before I ditched the 909.

Well, the results have been nothing short of astounding. It literally has changed everything about the performance of the 909. First the sound is different - a more authoritative sounding metallic pop. Second the feel is greatly improved - it makes the head feel much hotter at impact and there is none of the previous feeling where it felt like the head was caving in.

But more importantly, the actual results now with this club are GREAT!!! I'm back to hitting it dead straight (mostly!), with no big flares to the right AT ALL. I can now hit a nice high draw like I can with my 905R's just by dropping it inside a bit on the way down and releasing hard - with the Voodoo that would have been a huge flare to right field!

I've changed shafts in many woods before but I've never seen such a difference made by a reshaft in 25 years of tinkering. The launch with the Penley is still plenty high without any ballooning. By the way, the installed specs with this shaft are 45.5" and D7 sw. I figured I'd try it at 45.5 before shortening it to 45. For now I'm gonna leave it as is.

Thanks for all the comments and input above. Again, I can't adequately put into words the difference it has made in this club - WOW!

Andy

Mizuno JPX 850 3W @ 13*

Mizuno JPX 850 5W @ 16*

Mizuno S18 Wedges 50, 56

is it possible that the voodoo shaft you pulled out had its spine aligned in such a way that it was twisting open on impact? I had a similar situation this summer. After demoing a HiBore XLS tour with the Fit On red shaft I was hitting a draw - consistent with my normal shot shape. Then when I ordered my own version of the club, each and every drive I hit with that thing was a fade. I did everything I could to hit a draw with that driver, but I couldn't. I finally gave up and sold it.

Now I'm back to my old 983 K and putting in an SST pured UST proforce 75 in it. I'm done with demoing drivers. When you have a stick that works, keep it in the bag!!

My club repair guy did a frequency check on the Titleist Voodoo shaft that he pulled from the 909. It was 261, which at the length it was, translated to a 6.8 flex, according to him. He said that was just shy of being an X flex.

Regarding the spine alignment mentioned in the post above - I actually wondered if it might be something like that causing the issue, because the results I was getting were so extreme, it seemed like something had to be seriously out of whack. After seeing the results of the club with the Penley shaft, it's so night and day different, it obviously had to be the shaft and not the head.

Now, after playing several rounds with the 909/Penley combo, I'd still like to bring the ball flight down a little, so I'm thinking of installing a Vista Tour 60 (68g, high bend pt, stiff tip).

Any thoughts on what that shaft might be like in this head? I haven't used that shaft before, but after spending plenty of time reviewing shaft specs to find something close to 70g, with a torque between 3.0 and 3.5, high bend pt, and firm tip, that seems to be the one that's a closest match (under $150).

If anybody has any other recommendations, let me know.

Thanks,

Andy

Mizuno JPX 850 3W @ 13*

Mizuno JPX 850 5W @ 16*

Mizuno S18 Wedges 50, 56

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
My club repair guy did a frequency check on the Titleist Voodoo shaft that he pulled from the 909. It was 261, which at the length it was, translated to a 6.8 flex, according to him. He said that was just shy of being an X flex.

Regarding the spine alignment mentioned in the post above - I actually wondered if it might be something like that causing the issue, because the results I was getting were so extreme, it seemed like something had to be seriously out of whack. After seeing the results of the club with the Penley shaft, it's so night and day different, it obviously had to be the shaft and not the head.

Now, after playing several rounds with the 909/Penley combo, I'd still like to bring the ball flight down a little, so I'm thinking of installing a Vista Tour 60 (68g, high bend pt, stiff tip).

Any thoughts on what that shaft might be like in this head? I haven't used that shaft before, but after spending plenty of time reviewing shaft specs to find something close to 70g, with a torque between 3.0 and 3.5, high bend pt, and firm tip, that seems to be the one that's a closest match (under $150).

Thanks,

Andy

Your experience is interesting. I'm a 4.2 hcp - not extremely long, but very precise off the tee usually.

I just bought the 909D2 with the Titeist vodoo stiff (my SS is 95 ish, and I've been playing a Fuji E360 stiff in a Callaway FT5 Tour).

My tee shots with the 909D2 /Voodoo were occasionally OK, and the ones I pured got decent carry, very limited roll, and were overall not as satisfying as they felt at impact. Many other shots were occasionally too high, and any fade/slice I occasionally hit with my previous driver would break much more with this one. It felt as if the flex was probably ok, but that the tip section was far too soft/weak. Too many shot breaking into a high slice (I'm not a slicer, but often hit a small fade - 5-10 yards off line max).

I've decided to order a Fuji 6Z08 in REGULAR flex and see how that works...... The 909 clubhead seems fine in my mind - but again, had a hard time squaring the clubface at impact with the Voodoo, which has never been an issue, and found it impossible to hit a consistent draw......

I figure this is similar to what you've been experiencing....?

Thanks,

Andy

Maybe I'm missing something simple. But, I have a 108-112 mph ss, with smooth tempo and play a ProLaunch Red S. I was playing off a 2 hdcp. I know that if I step up to an x-flex, unless I'm swinging well I leave everything out to the right with lots of fade/slice.

I switched last year from a G2 with NV-75 at 44.5", which played very stiff. I had to change cause I was slicing big time and leaving everything right as I wasn't playing much and my swing was a bit out of whack.

So, maybe the Voodoo for Titleist was just too stiff for you? (especially as your club-fitter says it's just shy of an x-flex)

Joe's right and that Andy felt the club toe heavy is a good indicator. Head was lagging and he felt it. Probably had him hitting it further towards the toe also as you tend to hit it where you feel the head. I bet it no longer feels toe heavy with the Penley. Some guys never get the face closed on soft shafts and other hook them especially when they're softer at the tip. I do what Andy does.