2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Nickent 3dx Ironwood DC Hybrid

ryan.s

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone still playing this hybrid? Thinking about picking one up based on past rave reviews but was wondering if I would be losing anything in terms of performance since the current new and improved model is the 5dx. Is there that much of a difference if any at all? Thanks.

I just started playing the 3DX Ironwoods (20* and 23*) this summer - picked them up on closeout for $60 each. Can't offer any comparison with the 5DX but will add my standard caution not to buy into the marketing hype... newer does not necessarily mean better.

Decided 2008 was going to be my last season playing a 3 iron so I picked up a new 3dx in the off season for $75 new. I got paired up with a UST guy over the summer who was playing the 3dx with the stock SR shaft and he told me a few lpga staffers were asking UST to put this shaft in their non Nickent hybrids even.

So for $75 I picked up a 20 deg with the stock stiff and we'll see how goes this year. I ultimately selected the 3dx over the 4dx because I wanted the higher ballflight. If I didn't I would have just kept my 3i in the bag.

I have not hit the 4dx or 5 dx.........but that's probably because I'm happy with my 3dx dc. It's a 20 degree with the stock shaft (reg). I tend to slice the ball quite often but this club is very forgiving ! I hit this club straighter than any other in my bag.....and sometimes I can even hit a draw, lol.

For the money....the 3dx DC is a great club, imo.

I picked up a new 3dx dc on Ebay new with the stiff stock shaft for less then $30. I love it and would have been willing to pay much more for it. Given the price difference, I see no reason to even look at the 5dx. The 3dx is a great club and you can find them for very low cost now. Some people say the stock shaft isn't great, but I have no problems with it. It performs well for me. I say just pick up the 3dx.

I picked one up for two reasons also

1. Got decent reviews and I liked the compact look

2. the PRICE

Mine is a 3H with a Proforce UST stock stiff shaft. Surprisingly easy to hit and very accurate with a boring trajectory. I will say it performs better with a nice iron like descending blow vs a sweeping swing.

For me the trajectory is very boring, I actually had a guy at the range come up to me and comment on that and ask about the club a while back.

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

had my 3DX 20 deg for a year

added a 23 last summer

the shaft fit me pretty well

tho I never tried the 5dx (can't get over the look) and only tried 4DX indoor, i'm not looking to switch.

I was a big fan of the 3dx DC and decided to try the 4dx and did not like it. I wanted to like the 4dx, but the flight was not for me for the lower-iron replacements, so the DC stayed for a long time. I only replaced it because I got a great deal for the 3dx RC and I am even happier with this model.

I did do the trade in for the 5dx, and it was a smart marketing idea for Nickent. So many people are like you and do not want to put down the 3dx DC, but the 5dx is an amazing club for length and forgiveness. However, at $200 right now it is just not a smart buy for most people since the DC is so darn cheap. The RC is not far behind right now and can be found for $79-$100, but the DC is the best buy in golf clubs right now BY FAR, considering performance vs. price.

I have been even happier with the RC, but the DC is still cheaper and the older model and the better value-buy right now.

• 2 months later...
Decided 2008 was going to be my last season playing a 3 iron so I picked up a new 3dx in the off season for $75 new. I got paired up with a UST guy over the summer who was playing the 3dx with the stock SR shaft and he told me a few lpga staffers were asking UST to put this shaft in their non Nickent hybrids even.

So for $75 I picked up a 20 deg with the stock stiff and we'll see how goes this year. I ultimately selected the 3dx over the 4dx because I wanted the higher ballflight. If I didn't I would have just kept my 3i in the bag.

All, I got some course time with this club since my original post and thought I would provide a long-term "test drive" follow-up.

I can't say enought positive things about this club. This club does not have a "left" bone in its body. Just wants to go mid-high and straight. MID is the best description for ballflight. I never felt shots were flying to low and never were ballooning either. I found if I get lazy I actually get a little cut and "I never slice!". I purchsed the 3 (20 deg) to replace my 20 deg 3 i and would say the DC flies about an extra 10 yards beyond the 3i.

As indicated above, this hybrid is best played like an iron replacement, i.e., same alignment as a 3/4 iron and a descending blow.

Overall anyone looking to replace 3i, 4i, or 5i should give these a look. Because of the smallish clubhead I wouldn't look to replace 2i or 5w with the lower lofted DC but for 3i and down, it solid and very confidence inspiring vs the iron counterpart.

I picked up two of these last year on close-out ($60 each!!) and I think they are fine clubs that perform well for me. I have the 20 and 23 degree models which replace my 3 and 4 irons.

And just a general bit of advice - don't buy into the 'newer is better' hype. It's just pure marketing designed to SELL new products.

I read the positive reviews and picked one up brand new with at UST stiff shaft for about $45 including shipping. It has a nice feel, is forgiving, and sets up square. It also has a nice trajectory and does not balloon.

I bought a 3DX Pro 3-wood with the same shaft and that is also a very solid club. I got both off e-bay for a combined $120 including shipping. They can be found at great prices, but I would be sure to go with the UST shaft upgrade, not the stock.

Both clubs set up square, have a solid feel, with great trajectory.

Mizuno st190 9.5* Kuro Kage 60 stiff
TEE CBX 15* Kuro Kage 70 stiff
Titleist 910h 19* Kuro Kage 80 stiff
Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 3-5  MP-18 SC 6-pm,  +.5",  KBS C-Taper R
Titleist SM7 Raw 50*, 54*, 58*, KBS 610 Wedge 110
Bettinardi SS16, SS Slim 3.0

Just wondering what the weight is on the stock UST Proforce V2 Hybrid shaft for the 3DX DC Ironwood. In the stiff shaft is it the 72g or 86g model?

Thanks

Titleist TS3 10.5* w/ Diamana Ltd. D+ White 70
Titleist TS2 16.5* w/ Diamana Ltd. D+ White 80
Titleist TS2 21* w/ Diamana Litd. D+ White 80
Titleist U500 4i w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Titleist T100-S 5-PW (1* Weak) w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Vokey SM8 50.12F Brushed Steel w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Vokey SM8 54.12D Brushed Steel (1* Weak) w/ Dynamic Gold Tour-Issue (Soft-Stepped)
Vokey SM8 60.12D Brushed Steel w/ Dynamic Gold Tour-Issue (Soft-Stepped)
Scotty Cameron 2020 Special Select 34.5” (Heavy)
Titleist 2019 ProV1x

I just purchased the 2 ironwood 17degree with UST V2 shaft to replace my 5 and 3 woods. I want to carry an extra wedge this year(unless I play a course thats over 7000yds) so i figured this might be the perfect club. After 3 range sessions I can already tell this is going to be my go to club. I hit this club straight as an arrow and between 240 and 250 on the fly. The ball flight is low to mid for me and I hit it just like I do my 3 and 4 iron with no problem. What a great club for $40! I want to find a 3dx pro fairway 3 wood with V2 shaft now.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

Thanks hd.softail....just had my girlfriend pick one up for $42 CDN (employee price) from Golf Town. They're only $68 CDN retail on golftown.com right now if anyone in Canada is interested.

edit: sorry for the thread jack ryan.s.......i'll take the club to the range tomorrow and let you know how it goes :)

Vokey SM8 54.12D Brushed Steel (1* Weak) w/ Dynamic Gold Tour-Issue (Soft-Stepped)
Titleist 2019 ProV1x

I am gaming a 4+ 21.5*. I got it used from my roommate, and the thing is a bomb with the NV shaft in it.

Im going to pick up a 20 and a 23* and set up for my bag :)

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 6-U Dynamic Gold Mid

MG4 54/58 DG

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

Note to all who are looking int the DC: The 3dx dc is the lowest launching hybrid nickent makes/made. Still very forgiving and straight, optimal hybrid for those looking for a lower launching option. Had mine for over a year and cant ever get rid of it. The 4 dx is very slightly more forgiving and higher launching, I have not tried the 5

Note to all who are looking int the DC: The 3dx dc is the lowest launching hybrid nickent makes/made. Still very forgiving and straight, optimal hybrid for those looking for a lower launching option. Had mine for over a year and cant ever get rid of it. The 4 dx is very slightly more forgiving and higher launching, I have not tried the 5

This is incorrect. The lowest launcing hybrid is the 4dx, followed by the 5dx, then the 3dx dc and the highest is the 3dx RC. This is the case if shafts were the same in them all...of course if you start changing shafts that could change. Slahitou is a Nickent rep and he can verify the order I have stated.

I had the 4dx for several months and could not really get the ball up in the air on a consistant basis. I do still carry a 29* 4dx once in a while only because the 3dx did not go up to 29*. The 5dx is prety close to the DC but not quite as high flying.

Forgiveness was improved with each generation, but the RC might still be pretty close to the 5dx in forgiveness.

• 2 weeks later...
By the way, Dick's has the 3DX DC Ironwoods on sale for $40 ! I already have two of these but I picked up another one for the backup bag. Can't go wrong for $40!!

Are you sure? The ad shows the 3dx DC Utility for $40, I did not think the ironwoods were included....if they are then that is a steal.

Perhaps they have different ads in different areas, but the one in the Phoenix paper definitely is the 3DX DC Ironwood. Confirmed by a store visit and purchase :D . I had bought a 20* and 23* back in the fall when I found them for $60, which was a great deal at that price. I had lost the cover on my 4H and the paint got chipped up so I bought another one yesterday and gave the old one to my son.

I picked up a 23 Degree 4 Hybrid at Dick's for $40.00 with a UST Proforce V2...Its a pretty good club..

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 8.0 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ 7X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

I have the original 3DX ironwood (prior to the DC) which I re-shafted with the first version of the UST IROD shaft. I didn't like the feel of the stock SR shaft in that model at all. The newer version of the IROD shows much higher torque than the earlier one I bought. I think they are now 3.7* and mine was, at least advertised, in the mid 2's. It is money in the bank on tight par 4's.

Titleist TSi3 HZRDUS Red 65 
Titleist 975F PX Evenflow Black

Titleist 620 MB 6-PW 
Titleist 620 CB 4,5
Nickent 3DX 17
Callaway Forged +52 and 56
Ping Anser 4

Just an update. Had a great session at the range this afternoon with my new 20* Nickent 3DX DC Ironwood with a UST Proforce V2 shaft, so good in fact that my six month search to replace my 585.H with Aldila NV shaft may finally be over. It was windy and unfortunately the range was mats only, but I thought it looked great from address, had a marginally higher ball flight than the 585.H without ballooning, the shot dispersion was tighter, and the thing felt unbelievably great at impact. This has to be the best deal going right now in golf, picked mine up for $42 Cdn. Only drawback is the hideous headcover. Thinking about a Rocket Tour Skinny Stick, it'll cost nearly as much as the club, but even at $80 Cdn with an aftermarket headcover it's still a bargain!!

Titleist 2019 ProV1x