Don't Tick off Tiger!!

That is a false statement...Ames did not say if Tiger is spraying his drives he would have a chance. Ames said I think I have a chance with the way he's been hitting it. Tiger took acception to it like any golfer would have, I know I would have taken acception to a comment like that if someone made a comment like that about me. About Tigers comments after the round...sure he was cocky but if I was the number 1 golfer in the world and I just beat someone who made a comment like that before the round I would be cocky after too. The point is Tiger let his game do his talking on the course..he didnt make a big confrontation before the match and then he let Ames know what he thought about it after.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, if you go to any gym you can find a handfull of guys that have a better build than Tiger, but when you compare him to his peers, there is no comparison. Today he looked like a defensive back, albiet a smaller one. I remember when he first came on tour Butch commenting his affinity for fast food, I wouldn't be suprprised, with his determination, and will, that he doesn't eat that stuff at all. Certainly looked like it today, I don't remember him looking that "thin".

In regards to his comments I didn't think they were over the top at all. Ames threw the gauntlett and then forgot to answer the bell. Where Ames made the mistake is in his second sentance: "Especially were he is hitting the ball." If your going to talk the talk, you'd better walk the walk.

One thing that we are overlooking are his clothes. Nike perfectly form fits his clothes to his body structure which can make a skinny guy look jacked. He has said that his waist is only 29" and if you saw him play in the Tavist Cup last year he was wearing shorts. His legs looked like toothpicks, but you don't see that on the tour because he wears pants from Nike that make his legs look big and strong. I played defensive back in college and still keep up with weightlifting. I also have a few Nike dri fit golf shirts and if you even have a slight build their shirts will bring it out. Especially their mocks, which is what Tiger was wearing today. They are quite tight and can exaggerate your body structure. I don't wear my mock anymore because it makes me look like a meathead, but it works for Tiger.

... hmmm, interesting. i'll have to get some of those dri-fits. seriously though, tiger doesn't look jacked to me. even with tv adding 10 pounds, he still doesn't. in person, he's thin ... which is a good build for a professional golfer. and for a guy that can supposedly bench 300-350 (cough, cough ... umm hmm) ... he has an awfully flat, kinda droopy chest. i know about the skinny calf afflication as i have it ... those suckers just don't grow much if they start out skinny (hardest body part to grow).

tremendous fast twitch, hand-eye, and muscle coordination that dude possesses though.

The rest of this tournament is just a fomality for Tiger I'm afraid. For Tiger to beat someone 9 & 8 is the absolute last thing that this field wanted to see. Ames also stated that Tiger had a drug problem....Tiger drug his Word not allowed all over the course today! ;) Simp

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

The rest of this tournament is just a fomality for Tiger I'm afraid. For Tiger to beat someone 9 & 8 is the absolute last thing that this field wanted to see. Ames also stated that Tiger had a drug problem....Tiger drug his Word not allowed all over the course today! ;) Simp

Hilarious!!

:D :fool: :) :) ;)

That is great! HAHAHAHAHAHA ;)

I laughed so hard I was crying! :D :fool: :) :) ;) ;) :cheesy:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Also I saw someone on here saying that Ames could catch a flight and go play in Tuscon. That also is a false statement...anyone who loses in the first round cannot go play this week in Tuscon. I believe Zinger and Faldo said that it was not allowed during the broadcast today.

With the early demise-DAMN I missed it

Dumb Question;

Is he going home or can/would he still go to Tucson??

i said he can catch a flight to tuscon, and yes, you can not do that. i was just joking around. if i remember correctly you are disqualified from a tournment if you do not attend the pre tournament activities, typically the pro am.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

... at the end of Vijay's match he was asked about the Woods/Ames match....

Nothing ticks other PGA pros off more than having to field questions about Tiger that aren't really relevant to their play at that time. Still happens too often, imo.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

i think the quote of teh day came from zinger when he said he say tiger after the round walking around with a limp becuase of how hard he kicked ames around the course.

you know its not gonna be your day when tiger starts dropping putts like on 2 (i think), where the ball came to rest on the lip for a bit to give ames some false hope and then fell into the cup crushing his spirit......gotta love match play man

Monty......1997 Masters.......

Anybody?

Im with ya, thought the same thing. Monty learned his lesson.

Seems to be a lot of comments here on tiger physical conditioning. I read an article some time back about his workouts and it is crazy. The man puts in the physical workouts better then anyone on the PGA tour. If you want to talk conditioning, lets talk about Lumpy or someone like that. Tiger is not #1 in the world out of luck and he is undoubtedly the BEST CONDITONED GOLFER IN THE HISTORY ON THE PGA TOUR and it did not come by simple genetics. He puts in the time at the gym as well as the range. Tiger is a true athlete and could have probably mastered any sport he might have chosen.

Oh, and I like Faldos comment today that Ames's Caddy should go ahead and run him a bath around the 6th hole ! ;)

Am I the only one that seems Ames comments harmless. He made a statement that was true. He smiled when he said, "especially where he's hitting it." It's true, look where Tiger has been hitting it. The media was trying to make it into a match where Ames had no chance and wouldnt win. What happened to Tiger Lastyear, he lost I believe to someone he should have slaughtered.

Even Tiger knows. It's matchplay, anything can happen. Ames was making a joke that because of Tiger's driving problems last couple outings, maybe he can pull a win out. And Tiger's comments weren't arrogant. He basically showed Ames what matchplay is about, yea anything can happen even if I'm 6 fairways over in knee high rough have to carry evergreens over water andland it 6 inches on the green.

Ames comments were harmless. Tiger just showed him that looks are deceiving. He may hit it bad, but when it counts he hits where he wants it to go. The media wanted a story, grduge match. If ames really wanted to blast Tiger, he would've went further. Ames played terrible, he admitted it, Tiger just played exceptional. And maybe it could have been the opposite, Tiger hit it bad and Ames won and his comments would have been forgotten.

Couple of things....

Those of you that think that Ames was taking a dig at Tiger obviously didn't see the actual interview. It was meant purely in jest. Furthermore, he didn't say anything that everyone and their mother hasn't said about Tiger's game off the tee.

Ames only found out that he was in the event a few days prior to the start and before that wasn't playing his best golf. Tending to his wife who was diagnosed with cancer might have something to do with it. Not sure...but maybe. I know that alot of you are gonna say thats no excuse, but if that isn't good enough for you, think about how good you play when you're rusty. Now play that way against Tiger Woods.

Do any of you guys really believe that Tiger would take it easy on anyone. If he's beating you by 5 you can bet he'll try to beat you by 10 before the round is done. Anyone remember the Masters, US Open and the British? Did the entire field say something about his driving to piss him off those weeks? I don't think Tiger takes more pleasure than kicking a guy when he's down....and in golf, especially match play, thats a good thing.

About Tiger being arrogant, for those of you that have actually competed in anything remeber the adrenaline rush you got when you played "in the zone" right? Well shooting a 29 would get any player jacked including Tiger. After a performance like that everyone has the right to do a little chest thumping.

Food for thought....pardon the rant.

"I didn't do anything fantastic, but I played as well as I needed to," said Allenby, who was clearly delighted at the prospect of meeting Woods.

"I won't be beaten 9 and 8, let me tell you. Stephen Ames must have played like a dog. I'll back myself, only because I'd be silly if I didn't think like that. I believe I can beat anyone on my given day.

"I know I'll have to play really well to beat (Woods). I can only play my own game, and if it's good enough, it's good enough. If it's not, it's not."

These are comments from Robert Allenby after he beat KJ Choi and set up a 2nd Round match with the Tiger.

I suppose all you blokes who are intimating that Ames deserved what he got, and agree with Tigers "Now he knows what it's about" quote, will come up with the same sort of comments if he beats Bert tomorrow. Personally, I think that's a crock! Ames said nothing that wasn't 100% accurate and he would have been mad to say he had no chance. Tiger was white hot, and kicked his Word not allowed fair and square - no problem. To then make the comment he did and slip the boot in while Ames is down, was more than a bit childish IMO and to be honest I expected more from him.

While I'm not a huge Tiger fan, I'm not anti-Tiger either, and I've (nearly) always been impressed by the way he conducts himself. I just thought it was a poor form on his part.

I just wonder how many of you blokes who are on Tiger's side on this one, were against Rory Sabbatini with his run-in with Ben Crane. Both showed pretty similar behaviour IMO - whether they were right or wrong isn't the point - it is just very unprofessional, and I'm sure neither of them would appreciate it if they were on the receiving end of something similar.

Anyway, I know I'll be cheering for Allenby tomorrow. And he's right - he certainly won't get beat 9-8!

;)

TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 9* Even Flow Blue 60X
Taylor Made Sim 2 Ti 15* Tensei 80 S
Srixon ZX Utility 3 Diamana Thump X

Srixon ZX5 4-7 Nippon NS Pro 120X

Srixon ZX7 8-A Nippon NS Pro 120X

Mizuno T22 56, 60 KBS C-Taper 120S
Taylor Made Spider Tour Red

Anyone who thinks TIGER is Arrogant just does not get it...Just because you don't like the guy I am not sure why you would just make statements like TIGER was out of line???

1) Tell me when TIGER actually said something bad about someone unsolicited???

2) Phil;VJ and Various others including Ames have spoken about a guy who keeps to himself.

Ames statement was tounge-n-cheek but taken with past comments by him have made this issue what it is not ther media...

TIGER is a classy guy who could have blasted him and his record but all he said is "I think he understands now" That comes from a backhanded compliment like he has heard from Phil many times.

He has never called Phil "FAT; LAZY; Mental Midget"...I only say this because this is what alot of Tiger Fans wanted to say to Phil in 2002 when he was just talking Junk!

My point is Tiger is a classy guy who could have really let him have it after the match was over???

Question: Do you think it is fair to question the weakness of another golfer?

Tiger: " Yes...I just choose not to" My point with this is he could blast PHIL AND VJ and has not done that!

Crane/ Sabbatini Incident: Rory was in the wrong and conducted himself like a J2ck Word not allowed

;) :D :fool:

regardless of whether Tiger took what Ames said and blew it out of proportion for his own use.....and whether tiger was wrong to take it to the press and make comments about it etc..... you have to admire the way he will use the slightest inflammatory remark to bring up his own game and the way he has created an unbelievable aura of invincibility around himself.the aura that was evident around 1999-2001..it seemed to take a break from 2002-start of 2005 but its well and truly back now :D

also agree with some of the comments about tiger being aloof to fans kids etc...but thats who he is..he'll never be a phil or freddie but thats alright....he'd be less interesting if he was like phil or freddie ;)

regardless of whether Tiger took what Ames said and blew it out of proportion for his own use.....and whether tiger was wrong to take it to the press and make comments about it etc..... you have to admire the way he will use the slightest inflammatory remark to bring up his own game and the way he has created an unbelievable aura of invincibility around himself.the aura that was evident around 1999-2001..it seemed to take a break from 2002-start of 2005 but its well and truly back now :D

also agree with some of the comments about tiger being aloof to fans kids etc...but thats who he is..he'll never be a phil or freddie but thats alright....he'd be less interesting if he was like phil or freddie ;)

Still waiting for Phil or Freddie to build a learning center for KIDS.

"Nothing ticks other PGA pros off more than having to field questions about Tiger that aren't really relevant to their play at that time. Still happens too often, imo."

let them get ticked off...what are they? kids?

I am glad VJ ( a mature guy) saw the fun in that and responded in the spirit of the matter...

as for the rest of the tour..well they know where they can shove it..they b:%) too much....

"I didn't do anything fantastic, but I played as well as I needed to," said Allenby, who was clearly delighted at the prospect of meeting Woods.

"I won't be beaten 9 and 8, let me tell you. Stephen Ames must have played like a dog. I'll back myself, only because I'd be silly if I didn't think like that. I believe I can beat anyone on my given day.

"I know I'll have to play really well to beat (Woods). I can only play my own game, and if it's good enough, it's good enough. If it's not, it's not."

These are comments from Robert Allenby after he beat KJ Choi and set up a 2nd Round match with the Tiger.

I suppose all you blokes who are intimating that Ames deserved what he got, and agree with Tigers "Now he knows what it's about" quote, will come up with the same sort of comments if he beats Bert tomorrow. Personally, I think that's a crock! Ames said nothing that wasn't 100% accurate and he would have been mad to say he had no chance. Tiger was white hot, and kicked his Word not allowed fair and square - no problem. To then make the comment he did and slip the boot in while Ames is down, was more than a bit childish IMO and to be honest I expected more from him.

While I'm not a huge Tiger fan, I'm not anti-Tiger either, and I've (nearly) always been impressed by the way he conducts himself. I just thought it was a poor form on his part.

I just wonder how many of you blokes who are on Tiger's side on this one, were against Rory Sabbatini with his run-in with Ben Crane. Both showed pretty similar behaviour IMO - whether they were right or wrong isn't the point - it is just very unprofessional, and I'm sure neither of them would appreciate it if they were on the receiving end of something similar.

Anyway, I know I'll be cheering for Allenby tomorrow. And he's right - he certainly won't get beat 9-8!

;)

There is no way that what Tiger said and what Rory did last year to Crane could be considered the same thing. Tiger said what he said in an interview AFTER the round. Rory walked ahead of Ben while he was over the shot and was on the green when Ben was playing up to it. That just goes against what golf is all about you dont do that in a sunday foursome let alone a PGA Tour event.