miura,vega epon just too exspensive?

andy-uk

I have friends who have tried both the Miura Gikens and the Miura Golf models. The opnion is pretty much split. Some like the MG while others prefer the Miura Golf models. I have also hit both and they pretty much feel the same.

salesperson said Miura has 2 forgings, one for America, one for Japan. Said the ones in US aren't as soft or as good. This is 1st time I've heard that so not sure how valid, but again this salesperson seemed very honest and knowledgable;

This is not intended to take anything away from Miura but some of my friends as well as clubfitters I know and respect have told me the same thing about Miura Giken (the JDM version) versus Miura. I know that both are forged in the same factory in Japan, etc.

I've only tried Miura, not MG but look forward to trying them. Currently on the lookout for my next set of irons :)

• 8 months later...

I saw Honma has clubs at $4300 each made of Platinum and Golf lol.

True forgings are expensive because of the actual manpower and detail involved. Cast are cheaper because there is very little manpower and the can be massed produced. True Japanese forgings are made from a billet of steel. The majority of OEM's selling clubs they call forgeings are actually heated metal poured into a mold and pressed. Coin Forged, form forged are all cheap forgings basicly cast. I believe the cheap forgings also are forced to be a harder material. If your forged club was made in Taiwan or China you just bought a cast club.

To each his own, some may hit a cast better and some may hit a forged better, that's why you get fitted.

You have some problem with Australia? Like we are some 2nd rate backwater. Among other thinks, we've had our share of fair golfers, despite having a population less than a 1/10 of yours. Some fine club manufacturers have had their histories beginning in this country.

Ping G400 SFT 10 deg
Callaway Epic Flash 15 deg
Srixon H65 22 deg
Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 4-PW (Nippon 950 GH)
Hogan TK Wedges 49/53/57
Ping Zing

[quote name='deakanutz' date='22 January 2010 - 05:48 PM' timestamp='1264200513' post='2197687']
I saw Honma has clubs at $4300 each made of Platinum and Golf lol.

True forgings are expensive because of the actual manpower and detail involved. Cast are cheaper because there is very little manpower and the can be massed produced. True Japanese forgings are made from a billet of steel. The majority of OEM's selling clubs they call forgeings are actually heated metal poured into a mold and pressed. Coin Forged, form forged are all cheap forgings basicly cast. I believe the cheap forgings also are forced to be a harder material. If your forged club was made in Taiwan or China you just bought a cast club.

To each his own, some may hit a cast better and some may hit a forged better, that's why you get fitted.
[/quote]

You should know that only a few foundrys in Japan actually forge steel iron heads and then they are sold to the many clubmakers who grind and finish them to their specification. Many of of the companies who compete against each other use the same exact forgings from the same steel makers. This is why you see so many similar looking clubheads, say from Geotech or Scratch. Miura may be the only company who builds from scratch, ie., forges their own steel. (Epon may, I do not know.) As to this thread, golf clubs are cheap in the universe of nicer stuff, especially, if you buy one set and use it for years instead of buying a set a week, which can add up.

[quote name='andy-uk' date='27 April 2009 - 10:39 AM' timestamp='1240853962' post='1658681']
i started this thread ages ago as a bit of a rant! i haven't even read half of what you guy are saying but i went to silvermrer and tried some epon irons and vega wedges(they were golf in colour) cant remember the model but for £145.00 i was very uninpressed i will stick to my vokeys. also the epon were very heavy in the hand and nowhere near as good as my ping i5's
[/quote]

I doubt you even know what model Epon you hit and you're going to compare it to your I5's?

My money says you're the only person on the planet that shares the "heavy in the hand" opinion. Especially compared to I5 Pings...

I5's are very good clubs but they don't hold a candle to the quality, craftsmanship and performance of an Epon club. Everything in life shouldn't
be compared to what it costs and whether or not you can afford it...

• 1 year later...

Well everyone keeps talking about how expensive the clubs are - depends where you look. If you want a absolute bargain go to either kitbag (very reputable sports retailer) [url="http://www.kitbag.com/stores/kitbag/products/product_browse.aspx?category|category_root|13126=outlet&category|cat_13126|16594=golf"]http://www.kitbag.com/stores/kitbag/products/product_browse.aspx?category|category_root|13126=outlet&category|cat_13126|16594=golf[/url] or the european tour pro shop [url="http://store.europeantour.com/"]http://store.europeantour.com[/url] . They're having a final winter clearance and you'll find sets of Vega irons and limted edition Vega Irons at a fraction of the standard rate - around 60-70% off!! I've purchased a set of RAC-02, 3-PW, saving £800!! Took them to the local pro and had them fitted with my current KBS shafts and altered the lie to my requirements. These things are just awesome, so if you've ever been curious but couldn't justify the £1200-1500 outlay, this may be an option. As such i don't have to justify how much i like them because of the large price tag, because they only cost £400!!! But they are just THAT GOOD.

Let me preface this post with the fact that I'm biased and an Epon AF tour player. That said, I did not start there but ended there after demoing everything under the sun- high end, low end, etc... I could not get past the looks, design, and tremendous performance. Best blade I have ever hit but with ample forgiveness and lots of workability. Thrown in the customization options- finish, fill, shafts- and I was done.

I can get over the price though....:)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='PlayersEdge' timestamp='1235825818' post='1521372']
I completely agree with what Samurai said above .....

Once you have played with a well built set of JDMs that are custom fit to your specs...it is hard to find a comparison OEM club that feels and performs as well...
When I go on a course and play my Miuras... not many people know what I am playing and don't care. They all want to look like Joe Titleist. BUT when I shoot 70 all of a sudden the irons get some attention.

Many of my customers have purchased JDM sets from me and have sold them because they think they can find something cheaper or better in another OEM brand only to come back to me saying it was a big mistake and order another set of JDM's.

The big OEMs are all about the dollar and selling as much as possible because of their marketing hype and the size of the company etc... To remain competitive they have to develop new models every year that really don't improve much (if any) on performance...it is mostly all looks and asthetics with marketing hype behind them....
And remember... the stuff the Tour Guys play is not the same stuff on the shelves at Golfgalaxy that the average golfer plays.... and everything you see for sale that says "tour issue" is not all authentic.

I would think that every US OEM would love to have their clubs forged by Miura, Vega, Endo etc...but they cant afford it and be able to make the margins on sales they need, so they go to the lower cost foundries that dont have near the quality forging processes that the JDMs do.

Most of the JDM clubs are just the opposite... they are focused on proven designs that work, along with quality that can't be compared. They are higher priced because of the processes and workmanship behind the clubs.

Bottom line to me:
Being interested in my game more than looking like Joe Titleist, I'd rather pay a little more and play the club that will maximize my performance.

If I was more interested in my appearance on the course, I'd be head to toe Titleist, Callaway etc... and I know my game would suffer.
[/quote]

They need to pay for stuff like this.

[attachment=747676:tiger-woods-house-1.jpg]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

The reason why tour pros don't use those clubs? its pointless to advertise those clubs to general public by paying millions of dollars to tour players. Clubs are too expensive. Not many people in U.S will buy the club. However, if you go to Asia, there are lots of tour pros using Epon, Miura, Honma...and so on. The market in Asia is very hot. People there don't buy titleist, taylormade, ping,... etc. If they do, they purchase JAPAN spec only.