2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

2009 Michelle Wie Predictions!

If you can't say "my game is coming along" or "I'm almost there" you're unable to lie to yourself to the extent that is required to be a successful athlete. If you don't believe (even if you're wrong) you might as well go home. Tiger made the same sort of comments the whole time during his "slump" while making swing changes, even though he obviously wasn't close at the beginning. Phil says he's hitting it better than ever, EVERY YEAR. I'm not saying Wie is Tiger or Phil, but the point remains valid.

to yoonie thanks for that that really made me laugh as i was having a bad day

you said wii was like tiger is was having a slump

it must of be the longest slump in history !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i thought u had to win to be in a slump

i think she should go back to the mens tour cause she is as good there as she is on the ladies tour

I do beleive yoonie was only saying that anyone who is not getting the results they (expect/want) in althletics has to beleive they are doing the right things. i.e Tiger when slumping said "this is getting better , i'm doing what I wanted to do , it's just not all there" , and Phil says this and that are better every year even when certain things are not . Wie says I'm almost there because she probably is , but even if she isn't, is she supposed to say well i'm just not good enough to compete but i'll show up to get my check ?

She has to beilive everything she is doing and trying is for a reason or else there is not point in trying so when she says things are coming together or i'm trying new things she maybe lying to herself at that moment but she has to beleive she is working to fix what she needs to fix in the long run.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats all good and well and i play off 6 and tell myself them sort of things

but at day end of the i just dont have the skills to play on the tour

wii is the same just has not got it at the highest level

nike.cbs,bbc might all try and spin it what ever they want

wii was sumed up in one moment when she walked off the course scared of shotting 88

run by her mum & dad and nike what a pr nightmare

• 2 weeks later...

really? she doesn't have it at the highest level? yes, she's had her well-publicized struggles. but no one can deny that Wie has world-class talent. a few of her accomplishments:

The lowest round by a female in a PGA Tour event (also the first female to score a sub-70 round in PGA Tour history) – 68 (2004 & 2006 Sony Open).

4 top 15 finishes in the Kraft Nabisco, with 3 top 10's, 2 top 5's (best finish 3rd)

2 top 5 finishes in the LPGA Championship

2 top 15 finishes in the US Women's Open, with a T3 as her best finish.

1 T3 finish in the Women's British Open

she got her LPGA card the old-fashioned way: Q-school. she has 2 top 10's this year in 4 starts on the LPGA Tour, including a 2nd at the SBS where she got beat by Angela Stanford (only the hottest player on the LPGA tour at that time--that was her 3rd win in her last 7 starts, with a 6th being her worst finish in those 7 starts).

here's the kicker, Wie is still all of 19 yrs. old. yeah, she definitely doesn't have it at the highest level :rolleyes:

really? she doesn't have it at the highest level? yes, she's had her well-publicized struggles. but no one can deny that Wie has world-class talent. a few of her accomplishments:

The lowest round by a female in a PGA Tour event (also the first female to score a sub-70 round in PGA Tour history) – 68 (2004 & 2006 Sony Open).

4 top 15 finishes in the Kraft Nabisco, with 3 top 10's, 2 top 5's (best finish 3rd)

2 top 5 finishes in the LPGA Championship

2 top 15 finishes in the US Women's Open, with a T3 as her best finish.

1 T3 finish in the Women's British Open

she got her LPGA card the old-fashioned way: Q-school. she has 2 top 10's this year in 4 starts on the LPGA Tour, including a 2nd at the SBS where she got beat by Angela Stanford (only the hottest player on the LPGA tour at that time--that was her 3rd win in her last 7 starts, with a 6th being her worst finish in those 7 starts).

here's the kicker, Wie is still all of 19 yrs. old. yeah, she definitely doesn't have it at the highest level :rolleyes:

Have to agree...accomplishments amazing to all:

Actually made it through Q School

Decided to stop thinking she can compete with PGA players

Didn't finish last, but at least finished, instead of dropping out with an 'injury' or the flu

Broke 90 every round (so far)

and....she actually WON....okay so it was when she was like 13 some Public LInks thing....

endless talent, but cannot apply it, too bad she's a multi zillionaire (Top 20 paid of all golfers incl endoresements)

Speaking of endorsements, anyone seen her in an ad, a billboard or TV commercial lately?

Yup, she's awesome

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Have to agree...accomplishments amazing to all:

Actually made it through Q School

Decided to stop thinking she can compete with PGA players

Didn't finish last, but at least finished, instead of dropping out with an 'injury' or the flu

Broke 90 every round (so far)

and....she actually WON....okay so it was when she was like 13 some Public LInks thing....

endless talent, but cannot apply it, too bad she's a multi zillionaire (Top 20 paid of all golfers incl endoresements)

Speaking of endorsements, anyone seen her in an ad, a billboard or TV commercial lately?

Yup, she's awesome

:rolleyes:

she's *19 yrs. old*. and has 2 top 10's in 4 starts as an LPGA *rookie*. but you haters want to focus on Wie's struggles to support the idea that somehow she "doesn't have what it takes". Wie has accomplished far too much and is far too young for anybody to make that claim with any credibility.

let's look at some past and current LPGA greats:

Annika Sorenstam: passed LPGA Q-school at the age of 24. was LPGA Rookie of the Year with 3 top 10's, with her best finish a T2 at the Women's British Open. won her first title the following year at the age of 25 (helluva 1st win--US Women's Open).

Lorena Ochoa: 2003 LPGA Rookie of the Year at the age of 22, with 8 top 10's (two runner-up finishes). won her first title the following year.

Beth Daniel: 1979 LPGA Rookie of the Year at the age of 24, with 1 win.

Nancy Lopez: at the age of 21, set a rookie standard that will likely never be approached, let alone equaled. 9 wins, with 5 straight wins at one point. Vare, POY, and ROY awards. won 8 more titles the next year.

Karrie Webb: 1996 LPGA ROY at the age of 22, with 4 wins. had won the Women's British Open the previous year.

Se Ri Pak: 1998 LPGA ROY at the age of 21, with 4 wins, including wins at the LPGA and Women's US Open. one of only two women to win 2 majors in her rookie season.

Juli Inkster: 1984 LPGA ROY at the age of 24, with 2 wins, the Kraft Nabisco and the du Maurier. the other woman to win 2 majors her rookie season.

Dottie Pepper: joined LPGA Tour in 1988 at the age of 23, had 8 top 10's, best finish 2nd. won her first tournament the following year.

how about some current very good players:

look at Cristie Kerr, who also got a lot of grief early in her career. joined the LPGA in 1997 at the age of 20. her first 3 years, Kerr couldn't crack the top 50 on the money list. didn't get her first win until 2002 at the age of 25. she's now ranked 6th in the world at the age of 31. or Angela Stanford--her rookie year was 2001, at the age of 24. got her first win in 2003 at the age of 26. she's now ranked 7th in the world at the age of 32. hell, Natalie Gulbis is plastered all over the place, has been a pro since she was 18, and still has only one win on the LPGA Tour (which she didn't get until her 6th season on tour, at the age of 24).

let's see where Wie is when she is at least 22 or 23 years old before we write her off as "someone that doesn't have it". christ, how many people here have accomplished anything besides a high school diploma and underage keg stands at the age of 19?

I saw her today at the Sybase... Birdie's the par 3 15th, looks great doing it... Next tee shot, she drills a tree (and I mean drilled it!).

It's not her physical talent, which is superior.. Her problem is concentration. She is just like a normal kid in that respect, short attention span, mind wandering, etc... but when she grows up and matures a bit, she will be feared.

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

It's not her physical talent, which is superior.. Her problem is concentration. She is just like a normal kid in that respect, short attention span, mind wandering, etc... but when she grows up and matures a bit, she will be feared.

i think so as well. she's handled the constant scrutiny and criticism remarkably well when you think about it. ppl like to take shots at her all the time, but she's a lot stronger mentally than ppl give her credit for. after 5 starts as an LPGA rookie, Wie has 3 top 15's, 2 top 10's, with a runner-up finish. she's 22nd on the money list, 2nd to Jiyai Shin in rookie points (and 23 yr. old Jiyai Shin isn't really a rookie, since she has 23 international wins to her credit, including the Women's British Open). Wie is 9th in rounds under par, 15th in rounds in the 60's, and 21st in scoring average. as long as she stays healthy, the sky's the limit for Wie.

And yet just 2 days ago she is again yammerin' about winning a PGA event and playing in the Masters....I'm happy to see she's finally earned her way to the LPGA tour but she needs to put down the pakalolo for a bit...Any talk of winning on the PGA tour sounds ludicrous when she hasn't won ANYTHING in nearly 7 years....Get 10-20 LPGA wins under your belt, then you can start fantasizing....

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

Any talk of winning on the PGA tour sounds ludicrous when she hasn't won ANYTHING in nearly 7 years....Get 10-20 LPGA wins under your belt, then you can start fantasizing....

i'm sure you've never said anything ludicrous when you were 19 . . . besides, there's nothing wrong with setting the bar high, even ridiculously high. can't get there if you don't think you can. and yah, Wie hasn't won anything since she was what, 13? sheesh.

cripes, let's give her a few years first, eh? like i posted previously, Annika didn't get her first win until she was 25 . . . and Annika is only the GOAT in women's golf.

Any talk of winning on the PGA tour sounds ludicrous when she hasn't won ANYTHING in nearly 7 years....Get 10-20 LPGA wins under your belt, then you can start fantasizing....

i'm sure you've never said anything ludicrous when you were 19 . . . besides, there's nothing wrong with setting the bar high, even ridiculously high. can't get there if you don't think you can. and yah, Wie hasn't won anything since she was what, 13? sheesh.

cripes, let's give her a few years first, eh? like i posted previously, Annika didn't get her first win until she was 25 . . . and Annika is only the GOAT in women's golf.

This is precisely what has set back her development as a player. Had she concentrated on the LPGA tour she'd probably have a few wins, quite possibly majors under her belt. Instead she chased the boys around and created some swing faults in her attempts to keep up with the boys. She's just starting to come out of it now and I wish her all the best; but realistic expectations would certainly have been better for her development than the pipe dreams have shown to be...

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

This is precisely what has set back her development as a player. Had she concentrated on the LPGA tour she'd probably have a few wins, quite possibly majors under her belt. Instead she chased the boys around and created some swing faults in her attempts to keep up with the boys. She's just starting to come out of it now and I wish her all the best; but realistic expectations would certainly have been better for her development than the pipe dreams have shown to be...

pure conjecture. let's repeat it one more time . . . Wie is all of 19 years old, and passed Q school at that age (while being a student at Stanford University as well). how many 19 yr. olds with "realistic" expectations have you met? i would be far more concerned if a 19 yr. old *didn't* have "unrealistic" expectations. you *should* reach for the stars when you are young, even if those stars are ultimately beyond your grasp. the greatest achievements are nearly always borne from "pipe dreams". neither Obama nor Bill Clinton would have ever been elected President of the United States if they had "realistic" expectations.