Bogie Golfer With Mizuno MP-52?

JackB1

All this discussion..........First go out and get yourself fitted by a competent club fitter that will be able to configure the loft, lie, and length of the clubs to suit your game and abilities. Make sure that the fitter is able to find the right SHAFT for you as this seems to make the biggest difference between similar clubs. I forget who it was, but one comment was made that (and I may have it backwards) he was hitting an MX-200 with an XP shaft and the MP52's with a DG R300 shaft. Just NOT a comparison that can be made. To get a true feel for each club, and to make a comparison that is meaningful, they should be the same shaft. Not easy to do, I realize when reaching for sticks "off the shelf" at the local GolfclubsRUs outlet.

Then, once you have done this, order up a set of Adams A4 irons in the configuration that is best for you and have the best summer that you have ever had. Maybe not the leader in the category of feel (Mizuno's), maybe not the leader in category of distance (Wilson), maybe not the leader in the category of forgiveness (Ping G10), but ABSOLUTELY the BEST combination of "feel", forgiveness, distance, and looks of any of the clubs out there today!

Worth a look!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or get them ALL!!!!!!! :clapping: just kidding but you should just take these club outside and hit them at the range. its the only ture test....hard to find out how to do it but it's well worth it.

If you want clubs that are forgiving and perform as well as look sweet.

Pro Gold, AP2's, A4's, and MP52's are all very nice clubs. I had compliments from various people in person about both the MP52's and the A4's and both of those clubs are great.

honestly, just make the jump...that way you can learn the hard way whether it was the right decision. the hard way to learn is the best way to learn. :)

Good luck and get fitted

Yeah agreed, took them out for a range day and was knocking the 4-iron high and far like they were my nike slingslot OSS's......well not so much but you get the idea. but don't go by what I say, our swings are different.

These irons are solid and mishits go far but they are usually unacceptable (far left/far right misses) if you are looking for super-straight than lean more towards the AP2's, A4's, MX-200's or whatever. The Mp52's, in my experience, are great irons but I can never really played them out on field, I'll be able to do that this week. I'll let you know.

As always with a question of this nature , as you can read, your going to get a gazzilion opinions. When it comes right down to it... Only you will know what works for "YOU" . My opinion is this , I went from a very forgiving head to a set of MP 67's. For "ME" my swing got real loosey goosey because I figured the forgiveness of the club would help my game . Not for me. It got worse. After a few lessons and A LOT of prctice my handicap has dropped about 6 stroke. NO BS. I concentrate more and my swing has got to be pretty darn good or these puppies will let you know. With all that said . The 52's may help you like the 67's did for me . The worst that could happen is you go back to the 200's. The best that could happen is you lower your handicap. :clapping: :good:

I usually score in the low 90's, giver or take. Yesterday, just for kicks, I went and hit the Mizuno MP-52's on the launch monitor. I was amazed at how great they felt on impact and they didn't seem any harder to hit than my current set...the MX-200's. Am I crazy in thinking of trading in my MX-200s for the MP-52? Even though I am a bogie golfer, I consider myself a pretty good ball striker. My misses are usually fat and sometimes thin. Will this club force me to get better because it's not as forgiving as the MX-200's? Or should I just stay with the MX-200's until I get closer to a 10 handicap?

Is hitting off mats on the simulator THAT MUCH easier than real grass and actual playing conditions? To be honest, I compared the MX200s and MP-52s side by side and on the monitors, I actually hit the MP-52's better. Should I try them at the range before switching?

One other option to consider is a mixed set. I play a 3,4 hybrid, so I would use the MX-200 for the 5 & 6 irons and then the MP52s for the 7-PW.

Should I bother with that or should I just get the full set of MP52s? I only hit the 7 iron in the simulator. Would the 5 & 6 be THAT much harder to hit?

Well, I asked this same question last year. I started serious golf 3 years ago with Ping G5's. I took quite a few lessons and have been able to consistently hit in the 85-90 range. As per this thread I got torched for asking how a cb players iron would be for me, but i decided on a set of mp-57s. I didn't buy these clubs thinking they would make me hit in the 70s every time out. I bought them more to see if they could teach me about my swing. And the reality is they are much harder to hit than a GI club. I was spending so much time demoing irons, that I could have just paid for them by working an extra shift or two, so it was worth buying them to end the curiosity. I will say, I can certainly hit them, and sometimes well. But on off days, they just plain suck, and it is harder to control my miss. It's either left or right, and don't always know which way it's going to go. Straight is much better than workable. And my best friend who has golfed since he was 10 hits G-2's with a beautiful draw as his natural shot, so it's not like GI clubs are not workable.

I think I love my G5's because I am so used to the offset. Going to a lower offset club was something I could not adjust to. I think if I were to completely ditch the G5's and stick with the Mizunos, I could get better with them, and more used to them. But I KNOW FOR A FACT I AM TAKING MORE STROKES WHEN I PLAY THESE IRONS. I am probably going to sell them for 350 to 400 dollars, so a 200 dollar loss is not a big deal, and was well worth it for the education. Since I'm a bit of a club whore, I may try the MX-200s this summer for the fun of it. See what a forged GI club is like and a different brand. The Ping G-10s are just too similar to the G-5s to get those, and I LOVE the Ping durability.

I usually score in the low 90's, giver or take. Yesterday, just for kicks, I went and hit the Mizuno MP-52's on the launch monitor. I was amazed at how great they felt on impact and they didn't seem any harder to hit than my current set...the MX-200's. Am I crazy in thinking of trading in my MX-200s for the MP-52? Even though I am a bogie golfer, I consider myself a pretty good ball striker. My misses are usually fat and sometimes thin. Will this club force me to get better because it's not as forgiving as the MX-200's? Or should I just stay with the MX-200's until I get closer to a 10 handicap?

Is hitting off mats on the simulator THAT MUCH easier than real grass and actual playing conditions? To be honest, I compared the MX200s and MP-52s side by side and on the monitors, I actually hit the MP-52's better. Should I try them at the range before switching?

One other option to consider is a mixed set. I play a 3,4 hybrid, so I would use the MX-200 for the 5 & 6 irons and then the MP52s for the 7-PW.

Should I bother with that or should I just get the full set of MP52s? I only hit the 7 iron in the simulator. Would the 5 & 6 be THAT much harder to hit?

I just picked up the ap2's when I had been playing the a3 hybrid set. I am not sure it was a smart move or not.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Yeah agreed, took them out for a range day and was knocking the 4-iron high and far like they were my nike slingslot OSS's......well not so much but you get the idea. but don't go by what I say, our swings are different.

These irons are solid and mishits go far but they are usually unacceptable (far left/far right misses) if you are looking for super-straight than lean more towards the AP2's, A4's, MX-200's or whatever. The Mp52's, in my experience, are great irons but I can never really played them out on field, I'll be able to do that this week. I'll let you know.

Zlim, have you had any more time with the 52's?  How do they compare to the A4's in forgiveness?  I currently have the AP2s and am not really liking the "muted" feel.  If I could consistently hit near the sweet spot, I would game the 52's...no questions asked. But sometimes my misses are more towards the heel, than the toe.  I also miss a little fat/thin sometimes.  So basically I need a club that I don't need to nail the sweet spot on every time.

Just an update on the Adams A4's. I went to Oklahoma City over the weekend and played 2 rounds of golf with Son #1, who has a 2 handicap. Once we determined that his house was not in danger of burning to the ground (some people were NOT so lucky), we headed off to the golf course.

Now, he will say that he was distracted by his beginner wife that he had to attend to during the round, but the scorecard at the end of the day showed me with a 76 and Son #1 with a 78!

I just could NOT miss an iron shot! About the only problem that I had was a few shots that I hit perfectly but they went just a tad too far! I think that this must be the "jacked" lofts on the Adams A4's and I have not yet tuned them in. These clubs give me loads of confidence and have brought back the fun of the game of golf for me.

Just for an update, I bought the Adams A4 5-PW, GW arrangement and had Tour Concept shafts installed that had been PURE'd and installed by Totally Driven Golf in Oakdale, MN (they did a fine job, by the way). I went with the "Pro Gold" Hybrids instead of the A4 Hybrids. This was so I would have less offset and therefore less tendency to hook the ball.

The hybrids work very well. For me to shoot a 76, I mostly hit shots that were very good or, at the very least, nicely acceptable. I did not hit a single shot that I would deem awful. Some went too far, but this was just the back of the green and no big deal.

If I was to look for anything that I did NOT like about the set, it is that there seems to be a distance gap between the 5 iron and the 4 Hybrid of some substantial proportions. The 4 Hybrid goes quite long and the 5 iron seems quite normal. I was still able to draw the ball with the hybrids (not necessarily on purpose....just my goofy swing seems to do this automatically), but it was a very likeable draw that would listen to what I had to say! When I say that this distance gap made me NOT like the clubs, I am being sort of melodramatic as I firmly feel that this is something that I can deal with easily and, in fact, I like the clubs very much!

The Irons were very fun to play with! The nasty "left-to-left" hook that I had with my Ping G5's is virtually gone. Every shot felt very smooth, solid, and went right were I was aiming. Again, due to the jack-up lofts, I hit a few shots that just flew further than I thought that they would, but then, these are a brand new set of clubs and I actually expected there to be some adjustment on fine tuning the distances for each club.

With the Ping G5's, I would stand over the ball and pray that I could find the ball after I hit it. With the Adams A4's, I am back to thinking that I will just hit it out to the right a bit and draw it around that sand trap and hit on the front of the green and let it roll out to the flag! A totally different mindset!

All in all, and I have written this before, I would say that if you are serious about your golf, or just want to play the best that you can, a stop at a competent club fitter is worth every bit that you may have to pay this person to insure that you obtain a set of clubs that work for YOU. Having played golf for many years, I sort of thought that I knew what I was talking about when it came to golf clubs. I have since found out that knew nothing.

By allowing professionals that do this for a living review your situation and make recommendations on your equipment, you give yourself the opportunity to play the game to best of your ability. And, as much as a bad day of golf is better than a good day at the office, a good day of golf is better than anything!

There is an awful lot of high handicappers with superior ball striking abilities in this thread.

That is absolutely the funniest thing that I have read on any of these threads! I have read the same thing many times, "I am a very good ball-striker and consistenly shoot in the 90's."

Uh.........you are NOT a good ball-striker if you shoot in the nineties. :russian_roulette:

Well, I played my 1st round yesterday with my MP52's and I am still confused :) I shot a usual

92, but I didn't think my irons had much to do with my score. I feel like the score would have been the same with MX-200's, but I could be wrong. The 52s do feel great when you catch one just right! I hit them fine on the par 3's. My problems would arise from shots in the fairway and I didn't really have too many of those....maybe 5-7? Seems like I was hitting hybrids or wedges a lot. My score was hurt most by mishit wedges and missed putts than anything else. One part of me knows I really shouldn't be playing MP52s at my level, but the other part thinks my score is more effected by putts, chips, pitches and driving. Don't get me wrong...I don't want to give ANY strokes away, but I am not sure I would have scored any differently using MX 200's yesterday.

I will report back after next weekend after I give them another go. I will take notes on where I lose strokes or mishit shots (probably a good idea anyway). The I will re-evaluate. Hard to tell much after 1 round, but it wasn't a "disaster" like I was anticipating :) I might end up just mixing the set and using the MX200 for 5,6 and the MPs for 7-PW. I would think that would "minimize" the damage from using clubs that are a little over my head.

When I first got my new Adams A4 irons, I played several rounds with ONLY those clubs. I would pick locations on the fariway and try to hit to them just so I could get the feel for what the new irons could do for me. I played several of the par 5's with 3 six-irons just to try the irons. I learned more about the irons that way versus hitting a drive (that I know what to expect), a 3 wood (that I know what to expect), and a short pitch shot (which I know what to expect regardless of WHAT club I choose).

Up here in Minnesota, we have a bit of a "weather penalty" this time of year.....with dead grass, cold temperatures, bumpy greens, soggy fairways, and a swing that is coming out of a 6 month hibernation. So, I really was not concerned with scoring for the first few times out (I scored VERY well, by the way). But I WAS very interested in what the new irons might or might not bring to my game.

What I was trying to do was hit as many shots as I could with the new clubs even if it meant coming up 40 yards short. I was looking at the contact and the direction of the shots that I was taking. For me, that worked wonders. Part of the good scoring was that I chipped in several times using the new Gap wedge, so I considered that a success also!

There is an awful lot of high handicappers with superior ball striking abilities in this thread.

That is absolutely the funniest thing that I have read on any of these threads! I have read the same thing many times, "I am a very good ball-striker and consistenly shoot in the 90's."

Uh.........you are NOT a good ball-striker if you shoot in the nineties. :russian_roulette:

I wonder the same thing, I'm an honest golfer and a horrible ball striker. I have my moments of hot streaks but I usually get a blow up hole which really hurt my scores. but honestly I think I speak for all of the guys who shoot mid 90's:

-My ball striking depends on my long game, my long game depends on my iron game...I almost never have both of them under control at the same time

-When I do, my wedges and putting break down on me.

-I'm gonna break 90's this season :).....once I groove into these clubs

Asking a bunch of supposed golfers you don't even know and have never seen you hit the ball what irons to buy and dragging on the thread for days is well just plain stupid. The MP-52's are stupid easy to hit. Same size as the MX-200 just less off set. Low center of gravity. Progressive cavityback Cambered sole. EASY TO HIT. I have had players clubs (blades) for over a quarter of a century and now I have barely time to play golf and no time to practice. I wanted great feeling clubs that I could jump out of my car run to the first tee and throw darts with. MP-52's do the job. You may struggle a little at first I've never seen you play but they are clubs you can get better with and they are forgiving on toe shots and thin shots. You want to keep hacking then get some big a** off set wide sole hunk of metal and plastic and everything will feel good no matter how you hit it. 15 cappers can play MP 52's. My buddy plays them in 5 through wedge and he is a 16 and he finds them easy to hit. I am a low capper who doesn't practice and I could roll out off bed and rip them no problem.

I was agreeing with a comment. I wasn't even suggesting that a bogey golfer should buy anything. I could care less what you buy just trying help. I find it pretty stupid that someone who's signature reads A4 5-W wants to know where to buy A4'S 5-W. So save your stupid comments.

Asking a bunch of supposed golfers you don't even know and have never seen you hit the ball what irons to buy and dragging on the thread for days is well just plain stupid. The MP-52's are stupid easy to hit. Same size as the MX-200 just less off set. Low center of gravity. Progressive cavityback Cambered sole. EASY TO HIT. I have had players clubs (blades) for over a quarter of a century and now I have barely time to play golf and no time to practice. I wanted great feeling clubs that I could jump out of my car run to the first tee and throw darts with. MP-52's do the job. You may struggle a little at first I've never seen you play but they are clubs you can get better with and they are forgiving on toe shots and thin shots. You want to keep hacking then get some big a** off set wide sole hunk of metal and plastic and everything will feel good no matter how you hit it. 15 cappers can play MP 52's. My buddy plays them in 5 through wedge and he is a 16 and he finds them easy to hit. I am a low capper who doesn't practice and I could roll out off bed and rip them no problem.

I was agreeing with a comment. I wasn't even suggesting that a bogey golfer should buy anything. I could care less what you buy just trying help. I find it pretty stupid that someone who's signature reads A4 5-W wants to know where to buy A4'S 5-W. So save your stupid comments.

I am glad you added some useful comments this time instead of just saying "the 52's are stupid easy". Also, I bought the A4's AFTER I asked where to buy them, if that's OK with you? You are fortunate that you have enough natural ability to play well with a club like a MP52 without much practice. Maybe when I get down to a +15 on a regular basis, I will reconsider them. I love the way they feel and tried AP2's and didn't like how they felt.

I'm not the one who said they were stupid easy to hit. I just agreed with the guy who said it. Then you called me stupid. I may be a lot of things but stupid is with out a doubt not one of them.

forget it...I was kidding. It just seems like every club review here has someone saying its "stupid easy" to hit. It just gets old after a while. No offense meant to you in any way.

OK, for the guy, who has problems with my post "the MP-52 are stupid easy to hit"

The MP-52 is for the serious bogie-golfer, who wants become better, an excellent choice. If you have a fundamental swing problem,

no iron-even super super GI-can help you. But if your bad shots are thin, hitting more toe or heel-side and you need help on bad days-the MP-52 are for a player´s iron stupid easy to hit.

• 2 months later...

Well I am currently back with MP52s and loving life. I par'd about 7 of the back 9 today and hit some great approaches with these irons. I am not pure-ing them EVERY single time (maybe 70%) but even the slight misses are not bad at all. I hit a 4 iron draw around a tree from around 180 and it landed 2 feet from the pin and hopped a bit and ended up 15 feet from the stick, but it was amazing to work the ball like that. I usually just go for the straight shot.

Last time I only kept the 52s for 2 weeks and sold them mostly because I listened to everyone saying I wasn't good enough for them. I hit them great today and never once thought I was overmatched by my irons. I will stick with them for a while and then make another evaluation. I am holding onto my Adams A4s as a set to fall back on just in case. But I LOVE these irons right now and every time I see a nice fluffy lie in the fairway, I can't wait to hit it and feel that sweet Mizuno buttery feeling you get when you catch it just right. Hope the MP52 honeymoon doesn't end! But so far, so good.