Bogie Golfer With Mizuno MP-52?

JackB1

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nobody seems to be adressing my main question.........

Are the MP52's THAT MUCH harder to hit than the MX-200's?

If they are, then I am definitely staying with the 200's.

I do not think so, because I didn't find the MX-200s noticeably easier to hit than any other irons I have ever tried. The only irons I tried that really made the game easier were Callaway Fusions. And that includes sets like Ping G10s, Wilson DI-7s, Cobra FPs, and Nike Slingshots.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Back in the day, not so long ago, all new players started playing with clubs that were harder to play than todays' much vaunted players clubs. Maltby probably doesn't even have numbers that go that low.

Somehow, a great number of those players developed a ton of skill, and some of them even became PGA pros and scratch golfers. Others had satisfying recreational careers, enjoying themselves every weekend. Nowhere did I hear of golfers in the 30's lamenting "If only I had extreme game improvement clubs, I could have developed into a good golfer, but I don't, so I'll just quit or suck for the remainder of my days". They went out, and made it work for them.

So, I say, buy what you want, play what you feel comfortable with. If you like the 52's, and aren't counting on a bailout to afford them, off you go. Godspeed, good shooting, have fun. Might take a little more work to hit them well consistantly, but if you're ok with that, that's what matters.

The argument that a specific set of clubs is "better" than a person's game is an argument that cannot be solved because the basis upon which it is stated is flawed in the first place.

Hey I shoot upper 80's and play blades.... But too be fair I am about 10 years out of practice and was playing to a 5. A persons handicap iss so much more than simply whether they are a good ball striker or not though. Chipping putting driving... all affect the handicap more than iron play in general. Now with that said IMO stick with the 200's and set the 52's as an award for achieving a goal of say... 8 handicap. When you get to that point the benefits of a Players club will be more apparent.

I very much am considering some players cavities until I get my handicap back down. My Iron play isn't what hurts my game now though, it's been inconsistent driving and rusty short game.

As somebody else alluded to, a lot of it depends on the type of conditions that you are playing in. Does the sole suit the turf?

For example, I used to play MP-60's which are great when conditions are firm and dry. However, they have a tendency to dig too much when the ground gets soft. That's why I switched to the I5 - because the sole suits the conditions that I play in better.

I don't think that Mizuno MX series are actually all that forgiving in the first place so I don't think that you'll notice that big difference in forgiveness with the MP52's. I base this opinion on having owned MX-25's and MP-60s.

However, hitting irons off of mats is deceiving as you have a perfect lie every time. Try demoing them out on the course if you can.

dude just get them! but be prepared to be punished for miss-hits, predominantly on distance. If you hit an MP iron off the toe, it'll go straigt but you'll lose like 20 yards at least. If you practice and play, you'll get better at the same rate whether you play old shovels or shiny new MPs.

And yes, please help the economy.

You will never get a census answer on any question. I didn,t read all replies but enough to know they all make sense and given with good intentions. I do agree if there is anyway you can demo even one iron from the 52s on a course or at least dirt and not mats that's a big help. After all is said and done if you really want the irons get them or you will feel you missed out or whatever. Now if you are getting them with the intention that the irons will improve your game without a lesson or two and some practice than you will be greatly dissappointed.

You will never get a census answer on any question. I didn,t read all replies but enough to know they all make sense and given with good intentions. I do agree if there is anyway you can demo even one iron from the 52s on a course or at least dirt and not mats that's a big help. After all is said and done if you really want the irons get them or you will feel you missed out or whatever. Now if you are getting them with the intention that the irons will improve your game without a lesson or two and some practice than you will be greatly dissappointed.

I have been going for lessons and diligintly working on my game. I have gotten down from a +28 to a +18 in the past year.  But I think the next logical step is to at least go hit them outside off of grass and "course-like" lies.  I will do that this weekend and report back!  If I am still hitting them good, it will make this decision even tougher :)

Lots of great replies!  Thanks to all so far.

For years I played blades (32's, 37's, 60's) but my ball striking lessened and I started paying the price. I switched to more forgiving irons and so far have tried numerous versions (didn’t like any including the MX25’s but I did like the Adams Gold).

I’m presently playing TM R7’s and have hit many good shots with them. But since they aren’t the TP version I do not seem to be able to move the ball from right to left without really altering my swing. I also have never liked the look of the top line and have longed for the feel of a forged iron again.

This week I found myself asking the same question. I'm a nine to twelve handicap; can I play forged blades again? Of course the answer is yes, but I may not like the results.

I shopped around and decided I would make the move. I liked the Mizuno’s and the AP2’s look really sweet. Also the Cobra’s were considered before I decided on the MP52’s. Hopefully not to offend anyone, but to express my opinion, I ordered a set of 52’s with Mizuno Tour Spec graphite shafts. I hit the 52’s with DG’s but I knew my fingers and elbows wouldn’t stand up to 18 holes 6-days a week so that’s why I went with graphite. The Tour Spec shafts are 103 grams, much closer to steel than the IS2 shafts.

I believe the 52’s will be more forgiving than I think. A couple of my friends have sets and say they are very forgiving, but they are also better ball strikers than me. So here’s my bottom line; I’m going to love them but I will be seeking a set of TM R7 TP’s as a backup. If things get going bad, then the 52’s will go into the closet.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

Yep you're right - I used the term blades incorrectly. I'll never be able play blades again. The 52's are cavity backed and are supposed to be more forgiving than the 62's. However I am sure they are much more forgiving than the MP37's I played for years.

I'm really looking forward to playing the 52's. I play golf to get better and to have fun and getting good results make it even more fun. Hopefully bagging these irons will be "fun" for me.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

It is amazing how many opinions there are!! as many as people.

REALITY... the 52s are harder to hit than the 200s. What is harder, that's relitave to your ability.

If you play in the 90s, then the big deal will be when you are not hitting well on any given day. You will get MUCH, MUCH

less forgivness from the 52s than you do the 200s. The forging process for the 200s and the 52 is the same

grain flow forging Mizuno uses for all, so on the sweet spoot, they should feel the same. I would suggest staing with the

200s. In the long run, for now you will be happier. The only other possible option would be as someone else suggested;

if you are working with a pro shop (like the one I work for) you can get a mixed set. Example would be 200s 3 - 6 and 52 7-PW.

Mats are much easier to hit from, because of the ideal conditions, and the forgiveness on fat hits, so keep that in mind. Also, I would never suggest someone buy clubs they can "grow into". It's typically not a good idea. I'm a 9 and I play the MX-25; the store owner is a 2 and he plays with a mixed set of 25s and 52s. The thing is this.... "Why make the game harder than you have to!" If you don't really work the ball then the only thing you will get from the 52 over the 200s is less forgiveness. That's it.

Tough to answer for YOU but for me (like you) I didn't find them much harder to hit at all....for me I just like the look of the 52's more than the 200's. I did notice that the 52's were a tad short for some reason. I will say this that the 200's are very nice when you have the rust of not playing or swinging a club for a while. A few misses turned out pretty good and I am sure that was because of the irons. So there is a lot of merit in playing the most forgiving iron you can which makes sense but I just made the decision to play the MP's because I liked the looks of them better.....

Am I giving up a few strokes a round? Maybe but taking lessons on the short game and putting will more than make up for that in the long run and I get a set of irons I like to play with!

For me I actually hit the 57's better until I found out the lies on the 52's were off for some reason. I got that fixed and voila! I now have a mixed set of 52's/62's/ and 67's (when the swing rust is gone). I like these so much I am actually thinking of moving both my Miura's and my PVD Adams Pro Gold's.

Ken

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

Thats excellent. Hit them from different lies and try to get a feel for there distance vs what you now play. Don,t have to be more or even equal but you don,t want to be considerably shorter ,not that I expect that to be the case. If all goes well and like I said before you would love to play them ,do it. The game is about fun and enjoyment.

2 years ago I was in a very similar situation to you. I was playing mx900, and changed to mp30.

The biggest challenge in the change of clubs is that to get results, i have to hit the ball on a greatly reduced sweetspot on the club, every time i swing the club.

Although it's been a long and sometimes frustrating process, over time my swing consistency and ball striking has greatly improved, as has my scoring and ultimately, that's the reward i've experienced from the change.

I suspect the mx900 is more forgiving than the mx200, so the change for you to go to mp52 may not be so drastic. PLus those 52's are damn easier on the eye than the 200's.

i don't think your mad at all for considering the change! There's no harm at all challenging yourself with a tougher club to hit, as previous a poster said, a while ago, everyone started playing the game with blades. The game would have been even tougher back then. I suspect we're all a bit spoilt for choice these days.

Hope that helps. All the best with your decision

Here is a little story for you. It hopefully is a quick history of my evolution. I am 36. Dad put a club in my hand at 5. Thanks Dad BTW. It was some cut down Splading Blade 5 iron. No real Cavity back clubs back then. I moved to my brothers JR set, which was a Northwestern blade set. Then I grew up and Dad gave me his set of Wilson Staff blades made in '62. Junior year in HS I grabbed Dad's Wilson Staff blades set '87. I have played those irons and another Wilson Staff set blades '79 from then on. I have only ever played blades in my life. I am currently a high 70's and low 80's player. Was I always that good, no. Did it take awhile to learn to hit those blades pretty consistently, yes. Now I am comfortable with those irons. I can't see myself playing anything else. I probably could live with some MP-52s or even maybe some AP2s. Basically it is what I am used to.

What I am trying to say is play with whatever is comfortable to you. Play with whatever gives you confidence. If you want to try to play with some player irons go ahead and head to the range and stay there until you are making solid contact.

Iron play is only part of your score, maybe you need to improve in other areas to score better.

People here get jealous of what other people carry in their bag. Some people think only single digit players should have certain clubs. Last I checked it is a free country(for the most part), so get whatever you want.

BTW, I no longer hit irons off of old-school mats. It is not what I am going to hit off on the course and they give off false results. The only true test of hitting an iron is off of grass.

I think people are making a way bigger difference than there really is between the clubs

a mishit won't go where you wanted with either set, honestly in my experience it seems like mishits with players clubs are more punishing in feel than in actual poor performance. seems to me like GI type clubs just hide the feel from you and still let you hit poor shots.

if you like the feel of the 52's then get them, don't let anyone tell you that you can't hit them or that they'll be too hard for you to make decent contact on.

if you like the way you hit the 52's, there's no reason you can't hit them

Play what YOU want to play. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

What I WANT to play, is the club that helps me score better AND looks the best to me at address.

If the MP52's will penalize me significantly on mishits than I don't want them.  I will try them on grass

at the range this weekend and make a decision.

I think the 52s will be a great club for you and after 5 or 6 rounds you will adapt to them and enjoy playing with them. You will then be thinking I wonder how much harder the 62s are.........

The stock shaft is Dynamic Gold which may be different to what you currently have in the 200s which stock is the XP. I own currently play DG 52s 3 to 6 and 62s 7 to PW. I have played MX 25s in the past and much prefer the profile of the MP range. I think I would play the same score with any of these sets and may gain some forgiveness in the long irons of the MX range but would miss the MPs actual (or perceived) feel & control in the shorter irons. I do not like the graphics on the back of the 200s.

Buy the 52s keep the 200s as backups and you have the best of both worlds which you can mix and match if necessary. If you buy 4 to PW you will have a set which will be easier to sell on in the future and you can move into the 4 iron in time.

LOL...you know the answer before posting it...but fishing for an answer will likely get what you want.

There is absolutely a difference between the two clubs or Mizuno wouldn't have made/marketed them for two distinctly different golfers. The decision of how much club you want to bite off and how comfortable you feel with it is an individual decision. Many would argue your scores will likely suffer a hair as the MP52's will be less forgiving in the mid irons and on mishits in general.

But whether or not it's something you are willing to trade off is an individual decision. Some people like shooting the absolute lowest score they can. Others love equipment and want to play what suits their eye regardless. Neither approaches are wrong or right for the masses - just for that individual.

However, I would say that hitting off a simulator (not an LM) is absolutely useless for judging a golf club. You are hitting off a mat, which is inherently way more forgiving and the data off most golf store simulators is nothing like real world experiences.

Bottom line, buy what makes you happy and don't look back....

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack'