Bogie Golfer With Mizuno MP-52?

JackB1

What does you pro have to say? That was something that drove my decision. I play to an 11 and recently moved from the 25's to a set very similar to the 52's. Almost got the 52's and, to be honest, I didn't find a huge difference in forgiveness. Now I did find that the 52's forced me to concentrate more on each shot due to the smaller size. I found the 52's produced a much better feeling when struck purely.

For you personally, I would probably stick with the 200's. Wait till your ball striking gets a bit better and then start looking. Playing with a set of irons that are to demanding makes this game even harder. After all, some pros play the 200's from what I have heard.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LoL Jack you asked whats easier to hit - ok fine - your old clubs will likely be easier to hit if all things are the same. You say you want to play the clubs that help you score lower and look good to you. Well the 2nd part is easy. That a 1290843 handicapper can figure out easily. As far as help you score lower...then probably the club that is easier to hit and more forgiving when you don't hit it clean...which is likely your current set.

Right now I feel like you are getting hung up on wanting the "nicer clubs" and thats why you even brought this up. No sane person is going to say buy the harder to hit clubs if your sole reason for playing golf is score. But the sane person plays for fun, and enjoys the ride to improvement. Unless you plan on dropping 10 each year on your handicap then who cares! It only gets harder to shave points off your handicap.

28 to 18 is sweet, but from what I hear going from 5 to 2 may be harder than 28 to 18. So relax, play what you like, time will bring your swing around no matter what clubs you have as long as you keep putting in the time with your lessons, practice and most importantly your actual rounds. You will continue to improve and hell, maybe the awful feeling of missing the new clubs will help you concentrate more on your ball striking!

Get the new sticks - you know you want to!

Taylormade M1 440 Driver with Masters Edition Atmos Black 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 3w with Speeder 661x
Titleist 915 hybrid with GD AD DI 95g x flex
Callaway X prototype irons with C Taper 125g
Seven 51, 55, 59 Wedges
Bettinardi Tiki 2017

Just got back from a quick 1.5 hour simulator session.

These are sick clubs.

That perfectly stuck 6 iron forged feeling is amazing.

My distances with these clubs:

4i - 215

5i - 195

6i - 185

7i - 170

8 - 160

9 - 145ish

pw - 135ish

Go FOR IT!!

\

in a simulator?

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I usually score in the low 90's, giver or take.  Yesterday, just for kicks, I went and hit the Mizuno MP-52's on the launch monitor.  I was amazed at how great they felt on impact and they didn't seem any harder to hit than my current set...the MX-200's.  Am I crazy in thinking of trading in my MX-200s for the MP-52?  Even though I am a bogie golfer, I consider myself a pretty good ball striker.  My misses are usually fat and sometimes thin.  Will this club force me to get better because it's not as forgiving as the MX-200's?  Or should I just stay with the MX-200's until I get closer to a 10 handicap?  

Is hitting off mats on the simulator THAT MUCH easier than real grass and actual playing conditions?  To be honest, I compared the MX200s and MP-52s side by side and on the monitors, I actually hit the MP-52's better.  Should I try them at the range before switching?

One other option to consider is a mixed set. I play a 3,4 hybrid, so I would use the MX-200 for the 5 & 6 irons and then the MP52s for the 7-PW.

Should I bother with that or should I just get the full set of MP52s? I only hit the 7 iron in the simulator. Would the 5 & 6 be THAT much harder to hit?

Do whatever makes you happy! Though it would not be a bad idea to take the MP's out to the range or preferably a demo for a round.

Regardless of what anybody else says, if the clubs inspire confidence, go for it.

BTW... my handicap dropped from 21 to 15 after I traded my Ping G5's for my Titleist 755's and still improving ( down to an 11 ). :yahoo:

J.R.

ya they opened a new indoor sim. at my course until the season starts

I find the distances accurate as I've compared them to outdoors.

I can hit a forged iron of a strangers head and when you hit it right, there's nothing like that feeling.

That's completely in your head but lets not get the forged vs. cast thing going again.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I usually score in the low 90's, giver or take. Yesterday, just for kicks, I went and hit the Mizuno MP-52's on the launch monitor. I was amazed at how great they felt on impact and they didn't seem any harder to hit than my current set...the MX-200's. Am I crazy in thinking of trading in my MX-200s for the MP-52? Even though I am a bogie golfer, I consider myself a pretty good ball striker. My misses are usually fat and sometimes thin. Will this club force me to get better because it's not as forgiving as the MX-200's? Or should I just stay with the MX-200's until I get closer to a 10 handicap?

Is hitting off mats on the simulator THAT MUCH easier than real grass and actual playing conditions? To be honest, I compared the MX200s and MP-52s side by side and on the monitors, I actually hit the MP-52's better. Should I try them at the range before switching?

One other option to consider is a mixed set. I play a 3,4 hybrid, so I would use the MX-200 for the 5 & 6 irons and then the MP52s for the 7-PW.

Should I bother with that or should I just get the full set of MP52s? I only hit the 7 iron in the simulator. Would the 5 & 6 be THAT much harder to hit?

If you like the looks and feel then go for it. I doesn't matter what handicap you are as far as selecting a set of sticks. Sure some clubs are easier than others to hit but it's what ever you like whether it be blades or cavity.

Handicap:  3

Man this is funny considering I just picked up a MP52 6 iron demo today to compare on the range this weekend against my Srixon 701's. When my swing is on I feel like I can hit anything but that has only just started to happen recently. I am shooting in the low to high 80's but am very hesitant especially since I was really starting to dial in the 701's at the end of last year- I doubt I will pick up any new irons this year but they do look beautiful. Pure bag bling!

Best of luck. You really can't go wrong-your playing Mizunos either way. Now if they made an iron like the 701's I would HAVE to buy a set. Same offset as the 52's, 60's & AP2's but with A LOT of forgiveness- I miss that Mizuno feel.

Regardless of what anybody else says, if the clubs inspire confidence, go for it.

BTW... my handicap dropped from 21 to 15 after I traded my Ping G5's for my Titleist 755's and still improving ( down to an 11 ). :yahoo:

J.R.

Are the Titleist 755's more or less forgiving than the Ping G5's?

Less, by a decent margin.

IMO, play what you like. According to Mizuno, you picked the right set for yourself in the first place. Have you tried the Mp-57? That would be a good in between set for you. Give them a whirl if you can, it seems you made a jump from one semi-extreme to the other semi-extreme. Give the 57's a shot before you hand over the money for the 52's.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

nobody seems to be adressing my main question.........

Are the MP52's THAT MUCH harder to hit than the MX-200's?

If they are, then I am definitely staying with the 200's.

in general, yes they should be harder to hit thats why they are in between players and gi. with that said, i believe the person hitting the clubs can only answer this kind of question. i hit blades better than GI. why/how? i dont know, maybe because of looks, feel...etc. its personal preference. buy a 6iron and test it out on the course and on the range(not with mats). then decided.

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

in general, yes they should be harder to hit thats why they are in between players and gi. with that said, i believe the person hitting the clubs can only answer this kind of question. i hit blades better than GI. why/how? i dont know, maybe because of looks, feel...etc. its personal preference. buy a 6iron and test it out on the course and on the range(not with mats). then decided.

I grabbed a demo 6 iron today and will give it a try at the range and maybe during a round over the weekend.  Only problem is I use midsize grips and 1/2 longer and these are standard.

Give the 57's a shot before you hand over the money for the 52's.

I thought the 57's were less forgiving than the 52s?  They appear to have less of a cavity.

This is from Mizuno's Website.  It sure is confusing which is supposed to be more forgiving:

MP-52

The new MP-52 irons with Dual Muscle Technology are the most playable MP irons ever! The performance of the MP-52 iron set is based upon two innovative technologies. Making up Dual Muscle technology, is an outer muscle pad allows for a precisely placed, lower and deeper center of gravity, offering enhanced playability and an ideal launch angle, and an inner muscle pad that provides the unparalleled feel and the feedback that better players demand. The second innovation that sets the MP-52 irons apart and advances MP iron playability to a whole new level is a patented CNC milled pocket cavity. Two deep crescents milled into the club head allow for the redeployment of 14 grams of mass for a lower and much deeper COG. The performance advantage of this feature is increased playability on mishits and a superior launch. These advanced features are combined with a classic head profile to deliver tour level looks, feel and playability.

Features:

Innovative Dual Muscle design combines solid feel and increased playability

A unique CNC milled pocket cavity provides a lower and much deeper COG while maintaining thickness behind the impact area for amazing solid feel

Exclusive Grain Flow Forged™, 1025E "Pure Select" mild carbon steel provides the ultimate soft, solid, and consistent feel

Durable double nickel chrome plated finish

Modified U-grooves produce the ideal spin rate for maximum playability in all conditions

Rolled leading edge, cambered mid-sole, and aggressively beveled trailing edge deliver consistent striking ability from all types of lies

MP-57

The New MP-57™ irons are a crowning achievement in the evolution of MIZUNO's award-winning Grain Flow Forging® and Cut Muscle™ technologies. The Product Development team undertook the task of making the MP-57's the first MP iron with a Full Cavity, resulting in a significantly larger sweet area than any other iron in the history of the MP line. Along with increased forgiveness, the MP-57's produce a slightly higher ball flight in the long irons, and a mid trajectory in the scoring irons. They also deliver the solid feel and shot making ability that the MP iron player craves. Most importantly, the MP-57's achieve all these playing aspects, yet in a classic head profile that appeals to better players.

The ideal combination of solid feel and workability, with unbelievable forgiveness, make the MP-57s the most playable MP irons ever.

Features

First ever Full Cavity MP iron for increased forgiveness with a reinforcing muscle pad for enhanced feel.

Innovative Cut MuscleTM design provides ideal COG location, perfect trajectory, enhanced solid feel, and complete ball control.

Exclusive Grain Flow Forged®, 1025E Pure Select mild carbon steel provides the ultimate soft, solid, consistent feel.

Durable Double nickel chrome plated finish.

Modified U-grooves produce the ideal spin rate, for maximum playability in all conditions.

Rolled leading edge, cambered mid-sole, and rolled trailing edge deliver consistent striking ability from all types of lies.

Give the 57's a shot before you hand over the money for the 52's.

I thought the 57's were less forgiving than the 52s? They appear to have less of a cavity.

This is from Mizuno's Website. It sure is confusing which is supposed to be more forgiving:

MP-52

The new MP-52 irons with Dual Muscle Technology are the most playable MP irons ever! The performance of the MP-52 iron set is based upon two innovative technologies. Making up Dual Muscle technology, is an outer muscle pad allows for a precisely placed, lower and deeper center of gravity, offering enhanced playability and an ideal launch angle, and an inner muscle pad that provides the unparalleled feel and the feedback that better players demand. The second innovation that sets the MP-52 irons apart and advances MP iron playability to a whole new level is a patented CNC milled pocket cavity. Two deep crescents milled into the club head allow for the redeployment of 14 grams of mass for a lower and much deeper COG. The performance advantage of this feature is increased playability on mishits and a superior launch. These advanced features are combined with a classic head profile to deliver tour level looks, feel and playability.

Features:

Innovative Dual Muscle design combines solid feel and increased playability

A unique CNC milled pocket cavity provides a lower and much deeper COG while maintaining thickness behind the impact area for amazing solid feel

Exclusive Grain Flow Forged™, 1025E "Pure Select" mild carbon steel provides the ultimate soft, solid, and consistent feel

Durable double nickel chrome plated finish

Modified U-grooves produce the ideal spin rate for maximum playability in all conditions

Rolled leading edge, cambered mid-sole, and aggressively beveled trailing edge deliver consistent striking ability from all types of lies

MP-57

The New MP-57™ irons are a crowning achievement in the evolution of MIZUNO's award-winning Grain Flow Forging® and Cut Muscle™ technologies. The Product Development team undertook the task of making the MP-57's the first MP iron with a Full Cavity, resulting in a significantly larger sweet area than any other iron in the history of the MP line. Along with increased forgiveness, the MP-57's produce a slightly higher ball flight in the long irons, and a mid trajectory in the scoring irons. They also deliver the solid feel and shot making ability that the MP iron player craves. Most importantly, the MP-57's achieve all these playing aspects, yet in a classic head profile that appeals to better players.

The ideal combination of solid feel and workability, with unbelievable forgiveness, make the MP-57s the most playable MP irons ever.

Features

First ever Full Cavity MP iron for increased forgiveness with a reinforcing muscle pad for enhanced feel.

Innovative Cut MuscleTM design provides ideal COG location, perfect trajectory, enhanced solid feel, and complete ball control.

Exclusive Grain Flow Forged®, 1025E Pure Select mild carbon steel provides the ultimate soft, solid, consistent feel.

Durable Double nickel chrome plated finish.

Modified U-grooves produce the ideal spin rate, for maximum playability in all conditions.

Rolled leading edge, cambered mid-sole, and rolled trailing edge deliver consistent striking ability from all types of lies.

Yea, the 57 is on paper and probably in real life a bit more difficult. Mizuno needs to update the description of the 57 because the 52 just knocked the 57 out of the "most forgiving" spot in the MP line. It is in fact very confusing to figure out which is which by just reading about them.

The decision you are least likely to question in the future is the one that you alone will make.

For me I am from old school, the only clubs worth playing are blades (in blades I include musclebacks and players' cavity backs - no offset, thin top line etc.). When I picked up my set of MP33 I could care less what others were thinking, I liked them, hit them well, and wouldn't want anything else. Some guys were saying, why not go the GI way like everyone, blablabla, - none of others' business what I want to play.

They will be in my bag for a 3rd year in a row, a record for me. And I play them pretty darn well, at least partially because I just like the way they feel and look at address. I went with what I felt was "my type" of clubs.

Driver : Srixon Z745 10.5* Stiff / Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 Stiff
3W : Callaway X2 Hot Tour Stiff
5W : Adams XTD-ti 15* Stiff
3Hi : Adams XTD-ti 20* Stiff
4Hi : Adams XTD-ti 23* Stiff
Irons : 4-7 Wilson Staff FG Tour V2, 8-PW Wilson Staff FG59
50* : Wilson Staff PMP
56* : Wilson Staff PMP
Putter : Wilson Staff 8802

Balls : Wilson Staff FG Tour / Srixon Q Star Yellow

I grabbed a demo 6 iron today and will give it a try at the range and maybe during a round over the weekend. Only problem is I use midsize grips and 1/2 longer and these are standard.

u only need $10 for new grip(golf price mmc and .5 extension). at least with my local shop.

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

Your right Jack... the 57's are a step less forgiving, not sure why they are suggesting to try them.

They do look VERY similiar.  One is called "cut muscle" and one is called "dual muscle".  

Also, the MP-57's have a little more offset than the 52's, so some might argue they are more

forgiving due to more offset.

Sure is confusing!!!  :)

I really think it comes down to how consistently you hit the center of your irons. Playing bogey golf doesn't mean your not good enough to play a certain club. I for one am very consistent with my iron play, while my driving and putting can be erratic. I've had both 52's and MX-25's, and yes the MX line will be a little easier to hit because the heads a little bigger, there is more offset, and the soles are wider. If your aspiring to play different types of shots then the 52's will allow you more workability. I acutally switched to the 62's because I was having a hard time flighting the 52's down and hitting cuts with them. The mixed set may be a good route as well because the majority of bogey golfers I know don't struggle with say the 7-PW but the longer irons give them fits. Keep in mind that any shaft changes will also affect the ball flight. In the end go with what works best for you

FWIW I'm a 16-17 handicapper who recently posted about new iron choices. At that point I was all set for Wilson Ci7's, Cally X-20s or Macgregor MT's..a friend gave me some of the Macgegor Pro-c's to try.. not an iron I was considering at all - way too much of a player's club for me, I thought (still do probabably) BUT, I really enjoyed them. Sure some shots were pure, and some weren't, but the feel of a well struck shot with those clubs has encouraged me to keep with them and see what happens. So my advice is pick the club that gives you the most overall enjoyment - the 3-4 mishits i have had per round for the 2 rounds I've played these clubs has been far outweighed by the pleasure of the good shots.

I do think you need to hit off grass though..but at the end of the day, play what makes you feel good, your score may not reflect that enjoyment, but I think if score was the only thing that counted, everyone would play SGI's....

I am a bogie golfer and in the last couple of months really concentrated on good ballstriking. I did every drill on ballstriking and go to the range almost everyday. Well cutting it short I am now a very good ball striker - so I am now looking at so called player's irons - specifically Cleveland TA1 or even the Miz MP33.

Am I a low handicapper? No. Should I be looking at blades? Absolutely. My driving and short game, esp putting, keeps me in the 90s but I just want to play these clubs because they look so good. Now that may not be a rational reason but golf to me is more than just posting scores. I really enjoy the game and the challenge of it because golfers play against themselves most of the time. Some people play golf to socialise, some to exercise or make a living. We all play for our own reasons. If people say I am playing blades because I like to the look of them in my bag and for no other reason, I say so be it.

If you think these new clubs will increase yr enjoyment, I'd say go for it.

I've played mx 23's, and now I have mp 60/32 split. A bad swing with either club is still a bad swing. I feel like I hit the 'blades' better. I'm a 12.7. I just don't like the look of GI or SGI clubs. I would play worse with them because I'm not comfortable at address looking at them. So get what you like, cause you have to play them. Everyone's opinions are just that. Opinions.

M1 AD-DI 6s

PXG 0211 3w
07 Burner 5w V2 S
G25 23*
AP2 5-7, 716 MB 8-pw s300
Scratch 8620 53/58 DD
Custom Slighter

There is an awful lot of high handicappers with superior ball striking abilities in this thread.

There are more attributes to a high handicap other than iron play (ball striking)

Agree, just as there is more to being a low digit HC than being able to pure every shot. I'm playing to a 2.1 HCP this season (9 rounds) and I think my iron play is the worst part of my game, but I can make up for it around the green and putting. I've been putting lights out this year and can't tell you how many tap-in par's I've had from chip shots.

I play with guys who are much better iron players than me, but I'll still take their money from time to time because I can get it done on the real short grass.

I say you find an area in golf that you can excel, keep working on that area until you get really good at it and you can shave tons of strokes off by doing it. I used to concentrate on the tee box and driving the golf ball... well, you only hit driver a handful of times in a round, but how many times do you chip from around the green or putt? I focused on those areas for years and it's beginning to pay off.

AI Smoke Triple Diamond 

HiBore 2w “Unicorn”

G410 3w & 3h

Currently testing the rest 🙂 

OK, I got to try a 6 iron today at the range. I tried a MP52 and a MP57.

When I hit the ball flush, it was a beautiful thing....the ball just soared and soared.

My typical mishit, which is a fat shot, won't be helped by any club. So I don't see

much harm in using these. I used to play Titleist DCIs about 15 years ago, which were

probably less forgiving than these 52's.

I wont get rid of my MX200s just yet, just in case this experiment goes really wrong :)

Question...are the 57's that much different, because a friend of mine is selling a set of

57's for $300 for 5-PW and they are in good shape. This is about half of what the 52's

will cost me. I heard the sweet spot is a bit smaller on the 57's...true?? Thanks again.

p.s. should I get Dynamic Gold R300 or Dynalite Gold XP? My 7 iron ss is 75-80 and I tend

to hit the ball high. Are the 52's designed to go with the DG R300s?