2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2009 TaylorMade BURNER Irons Mini-Review - WHOAAAAA !!!

buztech

All,

Thought I'd write a mini review here. Please note, i don't work for TMAG, but I am a Taylormade loyal fan. Why? Because the clubs seem to fit me well, an average joe golfer.. that's all - for some reason, I can hit TM clubs more consistently and their woods and irons give me more distance compared to other clubs. I am a club ho so I always hit new clubs, from Driver to woods to irons, wedges and putters. My brain works like a Comparison Scale-weight - it always rate the products *in comparison* to the others, and for my own use in my own game :-)

So, having said all that, I can say that if you fit my profile below, you will LOVE the new TM Burner irons. In one word, they are AMAZING.

- SS Driver 90-95 mph or so

- Hit my irons and woods pretty consistently, but not perfect by any stretch - I always hit some wild shots here and there

- I shot in the 80's and 90's (HDCP around 15)

- I need DISTANCE and CONSISTENT STRAIGHTNESS in my iron game

- I need soft feel that does not have to be close to Forged feel, but feel like the ball compressed when I hit an iron.. not a CAST feel that is harsh, but soft feel in newer cast models

I hit the Burner irons (new model 2009) yesterday in the range, and noticed the distance is amazing... it was around 10 yards longer in my 6 iron, compared to my R7 set (note that the R7 set also has STRONG LOFT already). So it's not only the loft, but also the FACE OF THE IRONS are hot !!! I hit them with Stock shaft (85 grams) which is almost the same as the T-Step 90 grams that I have on my R7 (in my R7, I combined Stiff Flex on my mid to short irons, and Regular flex on my 4,5 irons).

So apple to apple, if you like R7 irons (which are kinda similar to these irons that I have also hit and/or owned in the past: R7 XD, Burner XD, Titleist 804.cb / 704 / 775.cb / AP1 (yes I used to play Titleist set even in woods), Mizuno MX-25, Callaway X-20, Ping G5, Adams A3, and Tour Edge (forgot the model, I had an older set, like HP-5 or something), you will LOVE this Burner irons, as they are more CONSISTENT, SOFT, STRAIGHT and amazingly LONGER.... the distance is what really keeps me in awe..

Then I brought the 4 iron, 6 iron and 9 iron to my local PGA Tour Superstore in Plano, put them in launch monitor to test against my R7 numbers, and I got the proof that they are indeed around 10 yards longer and straighter.

And yes, I was able to baby draw and fade the ball, as I was with R7 (in my skill set, I don't shape the ball that much, but good to know when I really did it, I can).

Hope this review helps...

post-1-1231272629-3_thumb.jpg

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I have also hit and/or owned in the past: R7 XD, Burner XD, Titleist 804.cb / 704 / 775.cb / AP1 (yes I used to play Titleist set even in woods), Mizuno MX-25, Callaway X-20, Ping G5, Adams A3, and Tour Edge (forgot the model, I had an older set, like HP-5 or something), "

Sweet Mother! I'm just a casual Ho compared to you! Thanks for the review though - I can't wait to demo these myself. I'm looking for something similar to you - accuracy and distance with my irons, with just a baby draw or baby fade depending on the situation. It's not often you hear someone like the stock shaft on an iron - so I'm definitely willing to try those out as well.

PING G430 Max 8* Driver

PING G430 LST 14* Fairway Wood

PING G430 SFT 18* Fairway Wood

PING iCrossover 21.5* Hybrid

PING i500 5-UW

PING Glide 4.0 54* SW

PING Glide 4.0 58* LW

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 Putter

How do these new lofts affect your wedges?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

jj77,

I got the Regular for the set... The shaft feels nice, actually it feels more "sweet feeling" than the T-Step (hard to describe, but SMOOTHER and flowing nicely... the stiffness is right there with T-Step).

I just got back from the Hank Haney Range in Lewisville nearby 121, those of you in Dallas area know exactly what it looks like (there is a lake in between the hitting area and the target flags), and I can tell you for sure I am longer than my R7 irons by around 10 yards for sure (I had tested them in the launch monitor but felt compelled to try again on the actual range :-)).

Buztech did you have reg or stiff in the Burners? And did you feel this fit you? I have about the same swing speed as you and am very curious about these irons. Thanks.

JJ

Stratpete,

I got them from TM directly, as a tester/early adopter... thanks to GolfWRX who nominated some folks.. It was no string attached, so it is purely my own heart now indicating how awesome this iron set is... I want to help those folks who still look for more yardage on their irons, even Natalie Gulbis said so in her interviews (every additional inches count, in iron distance).

Trust me, go get The Burner irons, or at least hit them on the range/launch.... I am still in awe :-)

Btw, this GolfWRX site is the best place on earth for Golf Reviews! I am a customer for life. Thanks again easyyy....

Where are you getting these so early?

In terms of overall weight, how did it feel? 85-gram steel shafts....that sounds super light, considering how light the step-90s felt. Big difference?

hey mookie, the 85 gram steel shafts are very smooth, it feels like Nippon NS Pro type of shafts but the ball is not ballooning at all .. in fact, I got a nice piercing trajectory on my 4 and 5 iron (I don't use my 3 iron) and good amount of rolls on my long irons... The short and mid irons feel very accurate, straight and my testing with Red LDP ball stop after 1 or 2 hops and then checks with the PW shot.

The distance is definitely helped by a nice combination with these shafts...

Does anyone know what shaft this Steel 85 grams are? Are these True Temper's much like the T-Step? My shafts come without label, as they come directly from TM (for testers).

"I have also hit and/or owned in the past: R7 XD, Burner XD, Titleist 804.cb / 704 / 775.cb / AP1 (yes I used to play Titleist set even in woods), Mizuno MX-25, Callaway X-20, Ping G5, Adams A3, and Tour Edge (forgot the model, I had an older set, like HP-5 or something), "

Sweet Mother! I'm just a casual Ho compared to you! Thanks for the review though - I can't wait to demo these myself. I'm looking for something similar to you - accuracy and distance with my irons, with just a baby draw or baby fade depending on the situation. It's not often you hear someone like the stock shaft on an iron - so I'm definitely willing to try those out as well.

ibluetooth, of course I don't have all the money in the world to buy all these sets... Have you seen my 401k bloodbath recently? :russian_roulette: I hit and tested various clubs at local golf stores (many of them here) and especially the PGA Tour Superstore (2 of them in Dallas) - those who have been there know how heavenly that place can be, to test new clubs :-) And my friend works there, he is a PGA professional.

I also go to Hank Haney range and DA Weibring range in North Dallas (DA Spring Creek) - they have test clubs there too. DA has Taylormade clubs as well as many other (Cally, Mizuno, Adams, Tour Edge etc).. Hank is typically Nike clubs only.

Cwing, I dont know yet :-) I am using a 52 deg TM Satin wedge, but the PW is not that different from my old PW (R7). I'd say the PW is around 5 yards longer than my old PW (I hit three quarter shots anyway with wedges). The longer irons are much longer than my old R7 (respectively).

The Burner set is interesting, as you may know the Short Irons, Mid Irons and Long Irons all kind of serve their own purpose, but they "blend" well, they even look similar to one another (the long irons are a bit different, but still look fine).. most importantly, I don't feel any weird feeling in hitting them, they feel uniformly alike. I don't feel like hitting different clubs, they all feel like "A Set".

TM has done it in the past with the TM Coin Forged Blade and CB combo (even many years ago) and they have been good...

Why is increasing distance a good thing with irons? Isn't accuracy the name of the game. Nothing against these irons or any other irons described as long but I guess I just don't get it. With a driver I get it, with irons...not so much.

It means a lot for me or other folks who struggle with iron distance and dream of hitting a shorter iron to get certain distance. again, not the NUMBER per se (I agree that it means NOTHING, just tape up the number and pretend you hit a less numbered irons), but the fact shorter irons are just easier to hit than the longer numbered irons.. This may not be applicable for those with strong / high SS shots.

I had gap between my woods+hybrids to my long and mid Irons... I hit my woods much longer than my irons. Some people just struggle to get distance on their irons, including me.

Cwing, I dont know yet :-) I am using a 52 deg TM Satin wedge, but the PW is not that different from my old PW (R7). I'd say the PW is around 5 yards longer than my old PW (I hit three quarter shots anyway with wedges). The longer irons are much longer than my old R7 (respectively).

The Burner set is interesting, as you may know the Short Irons, Mid Irons and Long Irons all kind of serve their own purpose, but they "blend" well, they even look similar to one another (the long irons are a bit different, but still look fine).. most importantly, I don't feel any weird feeling in hitting them, they feel uniformly alike. I don't feel like hitting different clubs, they all feel like "A Set".

TM has done it in the past with the TM Coin Forged Blade and CB combo (even many years ago) and they have been good...

Thank you and keep us posted.

I am interested to say the least. I banged around the 6I at Golf Galaxy a few days ago. It did not feel much different than the X 20 6I they had in the demo rack. I was hitting into the net and not a monitor so I have no idea what the numbers were. both were steel.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Why is increasing distance a good thing with irons? Isn't accuracy the name of the game. Nothing against these irons or any other irons described as long but I guess I just don't get it. With a driver I get it, with irons...not so much.

It means a lot for me or other folks who struggle with iron distance and dream of hitting a shorter iron to get certain distance. again, not the NUMBER per se (I agree that it means NOTHING, just tape up the number and pretend you hit a less numbered irons), but the fact shorter irons are just easier to hit than the longer numbered irons.. This may not be applicable for those with strong / high SS shots.

I had gap between my woods+hybrids to my long and mid Irons... I hit my woods much longer than my irons. Some people just struggle to get distance on their irons, including me.

How is a 9 iron the same loft and length as an 8 iron easier to hit? It is just a different number. BTW- I do like the irons but they are on the bench right now, because I like my VR's better.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

I love how the poster of thread says he gained distance with taylormade...yet again...as you always do with them...and how he says the lofts are juiced on his current set so it cannot be lofts on why he is gaining distance with the new burner irons.

missing the fact that TM keeps finding ways to make it look like you gain distance. They rebadge irons with a different number to appear longer i.e. label a 5 iron a 6 iron.

Now he says it cannot be juiced over his r7's...well guess what? you are right...the figured out they cannot juice much more so their irons are now longer length shafts.

Drivers too. Nice technology, i am going to play one...but look at length the Pro's play a 44 or 44.5 inch driver...so tm goes to 45...then 45.5...then 46...well the new burner?...46.25...what a flunking crock.

I have the 08 Tour Burner Irons and they too feel long ofthe face - but, the reason I got mine was because they are so easy to hit, they look great when over the ball, and mis-hits still go some.

Ok like the original post says they are longer than the R7 .. but that in truth is a bonus.

My previous sets were Mizuno and Snake eyes - so to hit a 7 iron when before it was a 5 makes a lot of sense to me as a 7 iron (irrespective of lofts) is designed and shaped differently compared to a 5.

I love how the poster of thread says he gained distance with taylormade...yet again...as you always do with them...and how he says the lofts are juiced on his current set so it cannot be lofts on why he is gaining distance with the new burner irons.

missing the fact that TM keeps finding ways to make it look like you gain distance. They rebadge irons with a different number to appear longer i.e. label a 5 iron a 6 iron.

Now he says it cannot be juiced over his r7's...well guess what? you are right...the figured out they cannot juice much more so their irons are now longer length shafts.

Drivers too. Nice technology, i am going to play one...but look at length the Pro's play a 44 or 44.5 inch driver...so tm goes to 45...then 45.5...then 46...well the new burner?...46.25...what a flunking crock.

Same old story with TM, eh? Ha ha, to each his own, I am here just helping others who care to hear.

As for 8 iron vs 9 iron, yes, it does not make a difference.. I hit both very well.

But I hit my 6 iron much better than I do my 5 iron, and my 7 iron better than my 6 iron :-) and it's good to know I can reach out to grab it when I need certain distance. Again, that may be just me here... I am not a good iron player, just a decent one :drinks:

I don't want to carry too many hybrids.. At least I can "learn" to hit my 4 and 5 iron and keep trying to get better at them - at least that's what the game of golf is about, keep enjoying and learning.

The lofts on the irons are strong, the six iron is a 5 iron - 27 degrees. That's why you are hitting them a club longer.

denman, you are correct.

I was basing my comparison to my old R7 irons, and their 6 iron was already 28 degree.

So whether the 1 degree stronger loft really equates to the 10 or so yards I gained with my 6 iron, I don't know...

I checked this "10 yardage extra" at Hank Haney's lewisville range yesterday to make sure it was not just my illusion - my old 6 iron shot just barely made the end of the lake a few times, and the new 6 iron (the Burner 09) made it by a few yards into the green (again, what I explained here makes sense if one has been to that range, which has lake in the middle between the hit area and target).

The lofts on the irons are strong, the six iron is a 5 iron - 27 degrees. That's why you are hitting them a club longer.

denman, you are correct.

I was basing my comparison to my old R7 irons, and their 6 iron was already 28 degree.

So whether the 1 degree stronger loft really equates to the 10 or so yards I gained with my 6 iron, I don't know...

I checked this "10 yardage extra" at Hank Haney's lewisville range yesterday to make sure it was not just my illusion - my old 6 iron shot just barely made the end of the lake a few times, and the new 6 iron (the Burner 09) made it by a few yards into the green (again, what I explained here makes sense if one has been to that range, which has lake in the middle between the hit area and target).

odd? you keep ignoring the longer length shafts? you keep focussing on the loft? Your r7 may have the same loft and you say "i don't know"....well it is a longer shaft. Why not go out and extend your r7's and see how an extra quarter to half inch of extra length is going to get you?

you say "don't know if 1 degree of loft could give you 10 more yards?"

well guess what, one degree more loft and a longer shaft...will get you 10 more yards. Here is the truth. There is no more technological advances of signifigance in club head design and materials.

There is no magic titleist or callaway or TM secret designs to gain yardage. So how do you set your product in the publics eye as longer? you decrease the loft on the iron and extend the shaft. Simple

denman, you are correct.

odd? you keep ignoring the longer length shafts? you keep focussing on the loft? Your r7 may have the same loft and you say "i don't know"....well it is a longer shaft. Why not go out and extend your r7's and see how an extra quarter to half inch of extra length is going to get you?

well guess what, one degree more loft and a longer shaft...will get you 10 more yards. Here is the truth. There is no more technological advances of signifigance in club head design and materials.

There is no magic titleist or callaway or TM secret designs to gain yardage. So how do you set your product in the publics eye as longer? you decrease the loft on the iron and extend the shaft. Simple

if you read about why TM added length to the shafts, it makes more sense

the PW is the same length as the tour preferred PW, the GW is the same as the GW

as you get longer some clubs are .25 longer, getting a wider spread until you're about .50 longer in the long irons

the claim is that this will help golfers maintain even yardage gaps between clubs, some golfers experience the yardage gap between clubs shrink as you get towards the long irons.

really, it's just numbers on the bottom of the sole, if you're buying these burner irons you should be buying 4-GW rather than 3-PW (buying 3-PW is like buying 2-9 on normal clubs)

I'm not a big TM fan, but I think this is a good concept, sort of like a new coat of paint on the old combo set concept (Z blend, hogan FTX, nike combo.....)

Same old story with TM, eh? Ha ha, to each his own, I am here just helping others who care to hear.

As for 8 iron vs 9 iron, yes, it does not make a difference.. I hit both very well.

But I hit my 6 iron much better than I do my 5 iron, and my 7 iron better than my 6 iron :-) and it's good to know I can reach out to grab it when I need certain distance. Again, that may be just me here... I am not a good iron player, just a decent one :drinks:

I don't want to carry too many hybrids.. At least I can "learn" to hit my 4 and 5 iron and keep trying to get better at them - at least that's what the game of golf is about, keep enjoying and learning.

I am going to order a set 4-GW. My question is what lofted hybrid would I need between my 5 wood and 4 iron to fill this gap? Thanks for your help guys.

denman, you are correct.

the PW is the same length as the tour preferred PW, the GW is the same as the GW

as you get longer some clubs are .25 longer, getting a wider spread until you're about .50 longer in the long irons

the claim is that this will help golfers maintain even yardage gaps between clubs, some golfers experience the yardage gap between clubs shrink as you get towards the long irons.

really, it's just numbers on the bottom of the sole, if you're buying these burner irons you should be buying 4-GW rather than 3-PW (buying 3-PW is like buying 2-9 on normal clubs)

I'm not a big TM fan, but I think this is a good concept, sort of like a new coat of paint on the old combo set concept (Z blend, hogan FTX, nike combo.....)

I am not saying its a bad concept. I am not saying that for some people it won't work. What i am saying is that people including OP are talking as if they are wowed! by the performance when it is just longer shafts and juiced lofts. ITs as if TM is better in some way. All irons from all oems can be ordered shorter or longer when buying. You can adjust lofts if you wish.

The reality is that irons should be fit for each user. Some might benefit from this method in TM burner irons but guess what?

If you should be playing shorter length irons in the first place due to your wrist to floor measurements, even normal length irons will make you miss the sweetspot and the tm burners will exaggerate that and make it even worse.

Everyone is different. i am just pointing out that there is nothing revolutionary about marking a 5 iron a 6 iron and adding half an inch.

You could do that with 10 yr old irons and get similar results. Could it help some or should you just buy what you like? of course. But sweetspot contact is more important than funky marketing.

denman, you are correct.

I am not saying its a bad concept. I am not saying that for some people it won't work. What i am saying is that people including OP are talking as if they are wowed! by the performance when it is just longer shafts and juiced lofts. ITs as if TM is better in some way. All irons from all oems can be ordered shorter or longer when buying. You can adjust lofts if you wish.

The reality is that irons should be fit for each user. Some might benefit from this method in TM burner irons but guess what?

If you should be playing shorter length irons in the first place due to your wrist to floor measurements, even normal length irons will make you miss the sweetspot and the tm burners will exaggerate that and make it even worse.

Everyone is different. i am just pointing out that there is nothing revolutionary about marking a 5 iron a 6 iron and adding half an inch.

You could do that with 10 yr old irons and get similar results. Could it help some or should you just buy what you like? of course. But sweetspot contact is more important than funky marketing.

How do you explain the increased ball speed with these irons? Longer shafts and strong lofts will not increase ball speed off the face right?