2009 TaylorMade BURNER Irons Mini-Review - WHOAAAAA !!!

buztech

I've been a TM user for many years, going back to the 320 irons and the original LT irons. I also use an R7 Limited driver. That being said, I can't believe the public has been taken in by the jacked lofts and longer shafts of these irons. Considering the 09 Burners just hit the shelves, I am strongly suspicious of all the great reviews on this and other sites. How many of these reviewers were "invited" to try a set by a TM staffer and now own a set a no cost? What a sham the marketing practices of TM have become; they are truly the laughing stock of the golf industry.

As someone famously said , "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public".

By the way, the OP has gone completely over the top in his responses.

I like the 12 capper who claimed he shot 75 his first time out.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a TM user for many years, going back to the 320 irons and the original LT irons. I also use an R7 Limited driver. That being said, I can't believe the public has been taken in by the jacked lofts and longer shafts of these irons. Considering the 09 Burners just hit the shelves, I am strongly suspicious of all the great reviews on this and other sites. How many of these reviewers were "invited" to try a set by a TM staffer and now own a set a no cost? What a sham the marketing practices of TM have become; they are truly the laughing stock of the golf industry.

As someone famously said , "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public".

I like the 12 capper who claimed he shot 75 his first time out.

Believe what you want. I did not get a demo set, nor do I or anyone I know work for TM. I did shoot a 75 and I am a 12 hcp. It was a par 70 and I got dialed in quick with the Burner irons. But I do not need to justify anything to any of you. I am not selling anything, just telling it how it is TO ME!!!

I do not care about the so called jacked lofts or added length, as I only play the 6-AW and the specs on those are similar to the RAC OS I used to play before the Tour Burners I just got rid of.

I have been in these forums along time, and I do not post much unless I feel a need to share info. Maby you guys should consider doing the same.

buztech, sorry to jack your thread, but I don't like being called out.

really though, you've got to admit a 12 capper shooting 5 over is a not a common occurance

and doing it with a new unfamiliar set of irons would make it seem to me to be an even more amazing feat

congrads on the great round, I bet once you post it you won't be a 12 anymore :clapping:

What sort of flight pattern do these irons have?, by that I mean does the Burner 6 iron fly similar height to your average 6 iron or is it lower because of the lower loft?.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

vfoil8,

Quit calling people out, I only had issue with 1 person here (sharkhark) and yes I had 1 posting where I snapped.. that's it.

Stop judging others.

Thanks for the review. Wish i had got them insted

[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]driver- R15 BLACK TP TOUR DEPT, SPEEDER STFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]3 WOOD- R15 TP TOUR DEPT, SPEEDER STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]5WOOD R15 TOUR DEPT, PROJECT X BLACK STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5] IRONS- RSI 2 4-G PROGRAMS STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5] WEDG- BV SM5 54 M GRIND - R SERIES TP EF SPIN 58[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]PUTTER-ODYSSEY WORKS VERSA 7 TANK.[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]BALL- TOUR PREFERD, [/size][/font][/i][/b]

I played a few holes with these today (in the rain, so not the best test) after warming up with them on the range. I only bought 6i-AW. Warm up on 9i-AW very good. Longer length on 8i, 7i, and 6i may be problem for me, especially since I have slow swing speed. I did hit a few nice 7i on course (and one really bad one), but I will need work with them and I will need to have them cut down. I had to choke down on them about 1/2'-1" to feel comfortable hitting. I am short at 5'2".

I am also trying steel shafts for the first time (not including my Mizuno wedge), so this is a learning experience for me all around. I like the feel of the steel better than the graphite, so if I can't get the longer clubs to work for me, then I will make a mixed set with something else. I just love experimenting with equipment.

Another idea is if the 7i will work for me but not the 6i (which makes sense since the 6i is jacked up like a 5i, which I do not carry now), then I maybe could get another hybrid or have a graphite shaft put in the burner head. So many things to think about. If I get another hybrid, I would like one with not such a gigantic head as my '07 Burner hybrids.

Overall, I am excited about finding some clubs with lightweight steel shafts. I am happy with my purchase and I need to practice with them more to give better feedback.

Hmmh...I was at the TM demo day at Golfsmith this Saturday and the invitation was to bring in your 6 iron (Cleveland TA-2) and compare. I am so glad I did...visually, the burner 6 was about an inch longer and the loft stronger. Damn, they gonna put a stick that is 5 iron against my 6 iron? No wonder it was 10 yard longer on the computer.

Now as for the feel, it felt "soft" eventhough it was the 85gm TM burner shaft in the stiff flex, it felt very much like a strong graphite with the muted feedback. The head at impact was no forged feel and it was comparable to my 6 iron. I asked the TM rep why the stronger loft and longer shaft and he basically replied because of the head design and the "super hot face". I've heard tall ones but this was a TALL one, a "super hot face" so it means it has to have stronger loft and more length huh?

Then this morning I look at this thread and to me, imo, we should be calling the irons based on the loft since the iron numbering used by the new burners are really not standard, the 6 iron burner felt and went like a "standard" 5 iron and if I had brought in my 5 iron, it would have been on par with it.

Each to their own but the burner 09 did look pretty sexy and hot and the the head shape was just a little more chunkier than my TA2 so visually it was pleasing. For those who don't know better, the 09 burner would be a great set of clubs, nothing like gunning a 6 iron when everyone is hitting a 5 iron :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I spent the time to read through this entire thread earlier today, then I went to Golf Galaxy and hit several different irons. I ended up buying the '09 Burners with a stiff shaft because they did seem to be a little more forgiving then the tour burners. I don't care what # is on the club so the distance has no bearing on my purchase. I am hitting my 12+ year old 8 iron 160 yards semi-consistently so I was only looking for more control and consistency. They give me both, I went out an played 9 holes this afternoon and they are a big step in the right direction for me. I will say that I played all of the middle irons a club higher- if I thought I needed a 5 I grabbed the 6 etc. and things worked out fairly well. I am happy with my purchase. I will say that I will probably replace the shafts with something stiffer/heavier once I get myself back to shooting in the mid 70's. Its been 10 years of averaging one round a year so I am starting with these and will go from there. R9 8.5 TP F1 on the way.

For what its worth, I think if I was hitting more consistently I may have gone with the tour burners but?

Just my $.02

I disaggree on the 09 Burners being the same length as AP2s. Yesterday I measured a 09 Burner 4 and 6 iron for length next to AP2s sise by side and the 09 Burner 4 iron seemed AT LEAST 1 inch longer and the 09 Burner 6 iron almost as that much longer than the AP2 6 iron. I forgot to measure the PWs against each other but did match 4,6,9.pw faces against AP2s simply for profile (size) difference. The longer to mid 09 Burners dwarfed the AP2s and the PW while less so was appreciably larger. Not making a commentary on that but merely reporting facts as I saw them ,FWIW.

Update:

2nd round with the new Burners, and I am still in love. I could not follow up the 75 from my first round with another personal best, but did manage an 84 (44, 40) on a much longer and tougher course after carding a 7 on the first hole and a snowman later in the round. My handicap has gone down from a 12 to a 10 after posting the last couple of rounds, and my confidence is still building.

In my opinion, these irons are not meant to be a replacement for the TP and blade crowd, more like the RAC OS, r7 or Tour Burners. They are a progressive GI set with less-clunky short irons IMHO. The extra length and loft do not bother me as it has allowed me to stop my bad habit of over-swinging and just get into a smooth tempo and let the club do the work. The sole is the key to me, as it makes these clubs so versatile.

I am going to build a really nice set of the '09 Burners. i have followed the thread and I have only hit these in a sim, but I can't wait to play with them. KBS

tour Black Nickel shafts and White Multicompound grips and have them all pured by the Divot Doctor in Dallas. I'm looking for more length and forgiveness and a more penetrating ball flight with the KBS shafts. Tour shafts and "Player's Forgiving" heads should be a lethal combination! :partytime2:

This newbie ended up ordering a set of 4-AW to start this season off. TM had a rebate so I ended up getting an R9 too. Love that also due to it's adjustability, compact head, & short shaft.

I currently have a TM R7 draw & Adams Tech OS set bought cheap to figure out what I need. I like the r7 the most but find it's shaft too flexy. Tried out the the new Burners.

Overall, I think the Burner is a good fit for me. Took the op to have it custom fitted by TM also which makes paying the full price not too bad. Shortened 1/4" and 2* flatter lie for my 5'6" frame.

Changed the grip also. TM allows you some grip options free of charge as part of their custom order. I found the stock grip terrible too.

My only dilema now is what wedges to get as someone mentioned here also. 54/58 or 56/60?

Unfortunately, I have to make this decision soon as the shop was willing to take back my very slightly used 52/58 vokeys I bought from them recently.

56/60 makes sense but is the gap too much between the 56 & the Burner AW?

54/58 might fill the gap better but is a 54 ok in the sand?

ShortSticks, I'm hoping you can help me here since you've been out with them. Greatly appreciated.

My only dilema now is what wedges to get as someone mentioned here also. 54/58 or 56/60?

Unfortunately, I have to make this decision soon as the shop was willing to take back my very slightly used 52/58 vokeys I bought from them recently.

I have 4-AW Burners and went with 56/60 Vokeys. I had the 56 bent to 55 to better match the gap. So far, so good.

Chris

Phanker,

54 and 58 wedges are a good combo for any set.

I went from a 52/56 to a 54/58 becuase my Cobra UFI gap wedge is 50 (49.5 degrees). 54 is good for long bunker shots (15 yards plus) and a lot of green to work with. The 58 is a great loft for all other bunker shots closer with less green to work with.

Some guys do the 55 (56 bent to 55)/60 but for me the 60 is too unforgiving and requires much practice. 58 is way more forgiving IMO.

This newbie ended up ordering a set of 4-AW to start this season off. TM had a rebate so I ended up getting an R9 too. Love that also due to it's adjustability, compact head, & short shaft.

I currently have a TM R7 draw & Adams Tech OS set bought cheap to figure out what I need. I like the r7 the most but find it's shaft too flexy. Tried out the the new Burners.

Overall, I think the Burner is a good fit for me. Took the op to have it custom fitted by TM also which makes paying the full price not too bad. Shortened 1/4" and 2* flatter lie for my 5'6" frame.

Changed the grip also. TM allows you some grip options free of charge as part of their custom order. I found the stock grip terrible too.

56/60 makes sense but is the gap too much between the 56 & the Burner AW?

54/58 might fill the gap better but is a 54 ok in the sand?

ShortSticks, I'm hoping you can help me here since you've been out with them. Greatly appreciated.

I play a 56 and a 60 and have no problems. The gap between them does not bother me. The AW is 50 so it would work either way. The Burner AW is a very versatile club with a sweet grind that can pinch it off tight lies as well as bounce it out of the thick stuff.

I have a 54 and 58 but they are high bounce so I only use them when it is soggy and wet. Once the ground gets firm I use the 56 and 60 as they have less bounce and I have played this combo most of my time golfing so I am more used to them.

I disaggree on the 09 Burners being the same length as AP2s. Yesterday I measured a 09 Burner 4 and 6 iron for length next to AP2s sise by side and the 09 Burner 4 iron seemed AT LEAST 1 inch longer and the 09 Burner 6 iron almost as that much longer than the AP2 6 iron. I forgot to measure the PWs against each other but did match 4,6,9.pw faces against AP2s simply for profile (size) difference. The longer to mid 09 Burners dwarfed the AP2s and the PW while less so was appreciably larger. Not making a commentary on that but merely reporting facts as I saw them ,FWIW.

I just measured a 09 Burner 6 iron dead stock that have been sitting in my shop against my brothers brand new set of stock length Mizuno MP-52's and the Burner was a 1/4" longer.

I can measure more if people are interested.

Callaway Staffer

These sound like great irons. Thanks to the OP for putting up a great review.

Those of you making your point about these being juiced irons, maybe you're right - but I'm glad someone brought up the CG location. Everyone gets so worked up over the numbers, they forget that CG plays a major role in launch angle...take any blade up against a same-lofted GI iron on a launch monitor, and you'll see my point. Another point to consider - 2* of loft + 1/4" length will not equate to ten yards or more-worth of distance for 99.99999% of the golfing population, considering the fact that typical gaps between irons are 4* and 1/2". Sorry to thread-jack, but the OP deserves a little more respect.

Who cares about length? Don't people get fitted prior to buying irons? At least don't people get fitted sometime prior to buying irons?

I have gotten fit twice in the past 30 years and know how to put a piece of tape on the irons I am buying and ask for a lie board and hit a few balls. I can go to the range and hit a few balls with a few irons and see how far they carry. After a couple rounds, if I don't know how far an iron carries, my bad. (I can also ask the pro to look on the monitor if I need a little help with my driver).

Let's let the thread die a peaceful death or add some helpful comments.

I think the irons are great and look great for a GI iron but I have never been that hung up on the looks of my clubs or the looks of what other people are playing. Give me lower scores.....remember, there are no polaroids on the scorecard.

I just picked up an Adams a3 5 iron to go with my curretn setup. This will buy more time for more reviews on the TM Burner irons. Hopefully after the honeymoon period everyone will still be in "love" with these sticks. This will also give me time to demo etc... through the early spring months as most outdoor demo's in this area are in late April/early May.

This will also give me recover time from my driver purchase.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I for one enjoyed the limited time I got to hit the 6 iron. Lately, I've been feeling that I may want a more GI iron and these Burners fit my eye in that regard. Feels nice to hit IMHO as well. Nice techie look too.

I will probably buy these once they come down to $500 in a few months. But even that depends on what "I" irons PING comes out with.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

All,

Thought I'd write a mini review here. Please note, i don't work for TMAG, but I am a Taylormade loyal fan. Why? Because the clubs seem to fit me well, an average joe golfer.. that's all - for some reason, I can hit TM clubs more consistently and their woods and irons give me more distance compared to other clubs. I am a club ho so I always hit new clubs, from Driver to woods to irons, wedges and putters. My brain works like a Comparison Scale-weight - it always rate the products *in comparison* to the others, and for my own use in my own game :-)

So, having said all that, I can say that if you fit my profile below, you will LOVE the new TM Burner irons. In one word, they are AMAZING.

- SS Driver 90-95 mph or so

- Hit my irons and woods pretty consistently, but not perfect by any stretch - I always hit some wild shots here and there

- I shot in the 80's and 90's (HDCP around 15)

- I need DISTANCE and CONSISTENT STRAIGHTNESS in my iron game

- I need soft feel that does not have to be close to Forged feel, but feel like the ball compressed when I hit an iron.. not a CAST feel that is harsh, but soft feel in newer cast models

I hit the Burner irons (new model 2009) yesterday in the range, and noticed the distance is amazing... it was around 10 yards longer in my 6 iron, compared to my R7 set (note that the R7 set also has STRONG LOFT already). So it's not only the loft, but also the FACE OF THE IRONS are hot !!! I hit them with Stock shaft (85 grams) which is almost the same as the T-Step 90 grams that I have on my R7 (in my R7, I combined Stiff Flex on my mid to short irons, and Regular flex on my 4,5 irons).

So apple to apple, if you like R7 irons (which are kinda similar to these irons that I have also hit and/or owned in the past: R7 XD, Burner XD, Titleist 804.cb / 704 / 775.cb / AP1 (yes I used to play Titleist set even in woods), Mizuno MX-25, Callaway X-20, Ping G5, Adams A3, and Tour Edge (forgot the model, I had an older set, like HP-5 or something), you will LOVE this Burner irons, as they are more CONSISTENT, SOFT, STRAIGHT and amazingly LONGER.... the distance is what really keeps me in awe..

Then I brought the 4 iron, 6 iron and 9 iron to my local PGA Tour Superstore in Plano, put them in launch monitor to test against my R7 numbers, and I got the proof that they are indeed around 10 yards longer and straighter.

And yes, I was able to baby draw and fade the ball, as I was with R7 (in my skill set, I don't shape the ball that much, but good to know when I really did it, I can).

Hope this review helps...

Hey Buzz - got any data on the graphite shaft with this club?

Update:

2nd round with the new Burners, and I am still in love. I could not follow up the 75 from my first round with another personal best, but did manage an 84 (44, 40) on a much longer and tougher course after carding a 7 on the first hole and a snowman later in the round. My handicap has gone down from a 12 to a 10 after posting the last couple of rounds, and my confidence is still building.

In my opinion, these irons are not meant to be a replacement for the TP and blade crowd, more like the RAC OS, r7 or Tour Burners. They are a progressive GI set with less-clunky short irons IMHO. The extra length and loft do not bother me as it has allowed me to stop my bad habit of over-swinging and just get into a smooth tempo and let the club do the work. The sole is the key to me, as it makes these clubs so versatile.

Congrats on the good second round - I am a 10 + and have on occasion hit 75. I appreciate the great review and 2nd round feed back. I am considering buying a set of the TM Burners, but with graphite shafts. I am looking for some feed back or review on the set with graphite shafts and how they compare to the Callaway X-18s.

Keep hitting 'em good !!!