2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How should I score this?

After 4 days of almost nonstop rain I finally got out to play. The anticipation on the way there was one of the best parts. We played two rounds. At the beginning of the day the instructions were, "Don't walk on the third green". They have had trouble with this green for a while anyway and the nonstop rain and saturated ground could easily set it back more with any traffic so everyone respected that.

It's a 329 yard par four with a pretty wide fairway into a small green. In the first round I put it into the fringe and couldn't not chip from there. I had the intention of leaving the ball but wanted to see if I could hole it. It stopped short to less than 18". My playing partner decided that we just wouldn't count that hole-to which I didn't really care anyway as he was already three strokes back after the first two holes and we weren't playing for money anyway.

Second round: I drove it onto the green dead straight for the hole but 5 feet short. My ball from the first round was still the only ball on the green and I left two on it today.

Here's the question: I've just recently started to keep scores for a handicap. How do I score this hole on both rounds for handicapping? Surely I could two putt the first one for a par but there was good possibility for Birdie. Second round a possibility for Eagle or easy two putt for birdie. I'm new to this handicapping business and want to do what's proper.

Thanks for any reply,

edited to correct scoring possibilities of first round-long day-I'm tired but it's a good tired.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After 4 days of almost nonstop rain I finally got out to play. The anticipation on the way there was one of the best parts. We played two rounds. At the beginning of the day the instructions were, "Don't walk on the third green". They have had trouble with this green for a while anyway and the nonstop rain and saturated ground could easily set it back more with any traffic so everyone respected that.

It's a 329 yard par four with a pretty wide fairway into a small green. In the first round I put it into the fringe and couldn't not chip from there. I had the intention of leaving the ball but wanted to see if I could hole it. It stopped short to less than 18". My playing partner decided that we just wouldn't count that hole-to which I didn't really care anyway as he was already three strokes back after the first two holes and we weren't playing for money anyway.

Second round: I drove it onto the green dead straight for the hole but 5 feet short. My ball from the first round was still the only ball on the green and I left two on it today.

Here's the question: I've just recently started to keep scores for a handicap. How do I score this hole on both rounds for handicapping? Surely I could two putt the first one for a birdie but there was good possibility for Eagle. Second round a possibility for Eagle or easy two putt for birdie. I'm new to this handicapping business and want to do what's proper.

Thanks for any reply,

TK...

First...great shots. Second...where are you located and is your handicap system in open season?

I'm in N.C. and don't know enough about what you are asking to answer. Everyone else has been keeping their scores when we are able to play which is more than half the time even in winter. I'm just starting to keep scores towards my first handicap.

Certain areas of the country only take scores during the golfing season. for example our state golf association will not take scores for posting after october.

JWF

ALL Taylormade :)

Thanks. I just found this while you were posting and figured it was.

2009 Carolinas Handicap Revision Schedule

All Carolinas clubs must observe the same revision or update schedule. All clubs that offer handicaps to golfers in the Carolinas must revise or update USGA handicap indexes twice a month on the first and 15th of each month. This gives Carolinas clubs 24 revisions per year. Clubs that do not observe this revision schedule cannot refer to their handicaps as USGA handicaps.

Thursday, January 1

Thursday, January 15

Sunday, February 1

Sunday, February 15

Sunday, March 1

Sunday, March 15

Wednesday, April 1

Wednesday, April 15

Friday, May 1

Friday, May 15

Monday, June 1

Monday, June 15

Wednesday, July 1

Wednesday, July 15

Saturday, August 1

Saturday, August 15

Tuesday, September 1

Tuesday, September 15

Thursday, October 1

Thursday, October 15

Sunday, November 1

Sunday, November 15

Tuesday, December 1

Tuesday, December 15

I believe for handicap purposes you would score those unfinished holes with your most likely score. I know that is how you score an unfinished hole for example in match play. If your opponent concedes a 10-footer you score it as 2 putts for score posting toward handicap. In your case then the 18" is a one-putt but the 5-footer . . . 2 putts?

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

Thanks. That's what I thought would be the right thing to do. I'll ask there tomorrow and we'll score it as recommended. I was hoping for a simple answer. I wasn't sure if it would be the best chance possible or the most conservative possibility. Not that it will matter much overall but it was an occurance that I had not imagined.

Update: I went back to play again today early this morning. I asked the Manager or Superintendent (not sure which of them is which) on duty what to do. He said, "Go make your putts."

I went and did that first before we started a round and made both of them. It did turn out to be a simple answer but the next time a green is closed to traffic I'm just going to skip the hole to save worrying about it.

Update: I went back to play again today early this morning. I asked the Manager or Superintendent (not sure which of them is which) on duty what to do. He said, "Go make your putts."

I went and did that first before we started a round and made both of them. It did turn out to be a simple answer but the next time a green is closed to traffic I'm just going to skip the hole to save worrying about it.

If you skip the holes and still want to post your score you'll have to impute for those holes a score of par plus the number of strokes you'd get based on your course handicap.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

The other guys have already given good info.

Here is the exact wording from the USGA:

(Score must be made during your active season)

To correctly enter a score you need the date, course name, USGA Course rating and Slope rating of the course played, and the score must be adjusted using Equitable Stroke Control.

Scores to Post

● If 13 or more holes are played, the player must post an 18-hole score. If 7 to 12 holes are played, the player must post a nine-hole score. (In either case, scores for unplayed holes must be recorded as par plus any handicap strokes that the player is entitled to receive on the unplayed holes.)

● Scores in both match play and stroke play must be posted for handicap purposes. This includes scores made in match play, in multi-ball, or in team competitions in which players have not completed one or more holes or in which players are requested to pick up when out of contention on a hole.

● Scores must be made in accordance with the principles of The Rules of Golf.

Policy for Unfinished Holes or Conceded Strokes

● A player who starts, but does not complete a hole or is conceded a stroke must record for handicap purposes the most likely score. The most likely score consists of the number of strokes already taken plus, in his best judgment, the number of strokes that the player would need to complete the hole from that position more than half the time. The most likely score may not exceed the player's Equitable Stroke Control limit and should be preceded by an "X" (on the scorecard).

Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) is the downward adjustment of individual hole scores for handicap purposes in order to make handicaps more representative of a player's potential scoring ability. ESC sets a maximum number that a player can post on any hole depending on the player's Course Handicap. ESC is used only when a player's actual or most likely score exceeds his maximum number based on the table.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

Certain areas of the country only take scores during the golfing season. for example our state golf association will not take scores for posting after october.

JWF

Check with your association, but I think this is what most follow.

Scores get posted when played on a course that is in season,

regardless of players home course seasonal status.

link to USGA faq:

http://www.usga.org/questions/faqs/handica...r.asp?FAQidx=15