Golf Style things that annoy you

I wear the pro sponsored look and an Ian Pouter/Camilo Villegas style one at that, and have a staff bag with my name on it. I also wave at an imaginary crowd after I make a putt, and hold my finish for 10 seconds and then do an elaborate club twirl after each shot. But remember kids......don't judge. However, if you want to get my autograph feel free. I could probably sign a few for you after I give a couple interviews to imaginary reporters after the round.

I hate it when an imaginary fan yells, "GET IN THE HOLE!"

But in all reality, holding your finish is not for show, it's a case of balance. You should hold your finish, or at the very least be able to hold it for several seconds.

Yeah, well I don't just hold my finish, and am not just able to hold my finish for several seconds. I DO hold my finish for 10 seconds MINIMUM. Sometimes two or three minutes. Because when you hit it as "PURE" I do you just have to savor it for all of eternity. I also have a smug look on my face while doing that.

Holding a finish is very passe.

Get with the times and develop a vicious and very obviously deliberate recoil - possibly with a little tennis-esque grunt as you do - and then stand, so tensed that you look as if you're powerlifting the arse end of a car, in order to make your arms and chest look bigger (further straining the already-strained material of your 30" chest shirt by doing so) and then, after putting the club back in the bag, walk to your divot with your arms so removed from the sides of your body that you look like a carpet delivery man engaged in the delivery of a pair of invisible rugs.

After hitting the shot, you're then free to approach the green with a face that features a fixed and very obviously put-on stare that looks like a boxer approaching his opponent in the pre-bout showing off session and weigh-in. Concentration be damned. It's all about the pose.

We've got a couple of lads at my place who are absolute masters at the whole pantomime. It's brilliant to watch when play slows down and everything's backed up. Really entertaining.

You know what, as much as I hate to admit it, you're right. I have just decided to go exclusively to the vicious recoil and grunt, possibly even adding a leg kick. And then I'll walk around the tee box like a caged animal while the next player tries to tee it up, if I'm in his way so be it. And don't worry, while walking to get my divot, or at any time really, my elbows are at least 2 feet away from my sides. The only time they get anywhere near my torso is when I fiddle around with my diamond encrusted and monogramed oversized belt buckle. And my thousand mile stare around the greens has been know to making undulating greens become flat.

LMAO at the people here who spend all their time checking out the other golfers outfits.

I go to the course to play golf, not for a fashion show.

I agree, people are too worried about other people. People need to mind their own business and worry about themselves!

Driver-Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3Wood -Cobra F8 Irons-Srixon ZX7 3-PW Wedges-Haywood Putter-Seemore M1W Ball-Snell MTBX, Vice Pro Plus

I am very turned off by golfers having a towel hanging from their belt or back pocket. I call them "donkeys" and it's usually good for a chuckle. If you can't play golf at least try to look like a golfer. I mean it!

Driver:  Ping G430 LST 10.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Titleist T200 5 -PW & Gap

SW:  Titleist SM9 56*

Putter:  Odyssey Eleven

LMAO at the people here who spend all their time checking out the other golfers outfits.

I go to the course to play golf, not for a fashion show.

I agree, people are too worried about other people. People need to mind their own business and worry about themselves!

So you wear a lot of ridiculous poser gear huh...

• 2 weeks later...
The only thing that tops that visor is an old '70s vintage Amana cap. Complete with gigantic peak, cord trim and a front on it that rivals El Capitan for sheer vertiginous majesty.

Lou Graham -- disrespected. For shame, Mat! ;)

Bah.

That's my chances of a free refrigerator well and truly knackered, I fancy.

Incidentally, is it just me, or does anyone else look at that cover and hear the answering machine intro followed by the opening theme of The Rockford Files..?

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Incidentally, is it just me, or does anyone else look at that cover and hear the answering machine intro followed by the opening theme of The Rockford Files..?

I guess you've never seen Lou Graham without his Amana hat on, then.

James Garner's hair >>> Lou Graham's hair

Equation for the hair on the crown of Lou Graham's head: lim3.gif

I don't confine my distaste for flipflops and plaid shorts to just the golf course. I don't care for them period. Mainly I don't like flops because I'd just rather not have to see people's feet. The plaid shorts are just silly looking.

To a lesser extent, I also dislike the straight billed baseball caps that seem to be the cool thing to wear these days.

I have no problem with jeans, t-shirts and cross trainer style golf shoes.

• 1 month later...

Whoa, since when did Billy Baroo die and become Marty Hackel? Jesus, who really gives a s*** what OTHER people wear? I'm 23 and actually love the white belt on the golf course, as well as my matching all white golf shoes. I think the majority of the people who care what other people are wearing on the course prob. aren't as good as they would like to be, and need to judge other people's outfits to justify that hack of a game they have. C'Mon guys, its 2009.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*, TourX
Callway 815 DBD 15*, Speeder X
Ping i200 4-P, Project-X LZ 6.5
Vokey Wedgeworks 52,56,60, Nippon 120X
Scotty TeI3 Custom Shop 35"

The sunglasses worn backwards on the hat seems to be directly influenced by the fact that the tour players do it. It's usually practiced only by the more 'image conscious' players at my club who, as far as I know, aren't going to be annoying Nike, Titleist, Callaway or whomever else by having the logo on the front of their cap hidden from view by the glasses since they haven't got lucrative sponsorship deals in place for sporting thoes logos.

I can't honestly say that it [i]annoys[/i] me, but it's worth a laugh to see them dropping their glasses a dozen times a round because they refuse to sit them atop the peak where they won't fall off for the sake of looking like a pro.

One chap at our place does it regularly and has even resorted - I kid you not - to pinning a small round badge onto his trouser belt loop, presumably in imitation of a competitors' badge. I've no idea what it actually [i]is[/i] - albeit I [i]do[/i] know that it's not a [i]bona fide[/i] badge of any sort - but I defy anyone not to have a private chuckle at that level of pretentiousness. Say what you like about white belts and staff bags with names on them; that's Fantasy Land stuff.

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Call me a poser or a hack then! I golf about once a week or so and I'm lucky to shoot 100, but when I'm out there, I'm dressed well. Nice polo (usually a Nike, but I have others including a pink one) tucked in with a white belt (I'm 6'1", 250 lbs with a 39 inch waist and I make it look good haters!), flat front shorts (no pleats!) and clean white and black shoes. If I look good, I feel good. And when I feel good, I play better. I'm more confident. And I look even better when I cringe as my tee shot slices into the adjacent fairway!

If that makes me a poser or some hack to you old hats, then so be it. I could care less that you judge me based on what I'm wearing and not even knowing me. That makes you the lesser man IMO.

You all have issues....golf is suppose to be FUN !!!!! People forget that, who cares what people wear as long as their having FUN with the game. I played with guys who wear jeans and guys who dress like their on tour but who arent very good but come to find out what a fun round I had playing with them. Dont tell me someone who is not that good is not allowed to dress the part why not are they suppose to dress to the level of their handicap for example if I am a weekend hacker im suppose to dress like that and I cant dress like a tour pro. People who tend to worry about others have their own insecurity issues in their own lives. I personally just hope I get paired with someone who is fun to play with and dont care if their in jeans or dressed like a tour pro. Life is too short to let things like clothes bother you whether you are a young player or older player .

I suspect that I, as someone who is essentially nonplussed, but nonetheless having a bit of a private chuckle to myself, have less 'issues' than a bloke who wears a [i]faux[/i] competitors' badge on his trousers when he plays a casual round at his home club.

Honestly, people read too much into what is, or at least should be, a tongue-in-cheek discussion of the things that they find amusing about a normal day at the golf course. What someone else chooses to wear [i]really doesn't [/i] make or break my entire day. As long as they keep up with the pace of play, aren't chucking clubs about and shout 'Fore!' when there's any sort of chance of hitting someone, I could care less if they want to look like Ian Poulter's more zany elder brother.

[quote name='mat562' post='1868465' date='Aug 6 2009, 04:19 PM']I suspect that I, as someone who is essentially nonplussed, but nonetheless having a bit of a private chuckle to myself, have less 'issues' than a bloke who wears a [i]faux[/i] competitors' badge on his trousers when he plays a casual round at his home club.

Honestly, people read too much into what is, or at least should be, a tongue-in-cheek discussion of the things that they find amusing about a normal day at the golf course. What someone else chooses to wear [i]really doesn't [/i]make or break my entire day. As long as they keep up with the pace of play, aren't chucking clubs about and shout 'Fore!' when there's any sort of chance of hitting someone, I could care less if they want to look like Ian Poulter's more zany elder brother.[/quote]
Keep these posts coming and coming Mat - you're hilarious!

[quote name='mat562' post='1868465' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:19 AM']I suspect that I, as someone who is essentially nonplussed, but nonetheless having a bit of a private chuckle to myself, have less 'issues' than a bloke who wears a [i]faux[/i] competitors' badge on his trousers when he plays a casual round at his home club.[/quote]
You should have his caddie ask him if he thinks a [i]faux[/i] iron or a five iron is right for the shot.

Love your posts, Mat. Always erudite, always interesting, and always entertaining!

since people care...imma go out in a wife beater, boxers, and some house shoes with argyle socks and a fedora. then one day, imma wear a 3 piece suit with some crocs...in lime green. thank you :)

Titleist TSR2 8*

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Vokey 54*

Vokey 60*

MySpider Tour X 

[quote name='mat562' post='1868074' date='Aug 6 2009, 07:00 AM']The sunglasses worn backwards on the hat seems to be directly influenced by the fact that the tour players do it. It's usually practiced only by the more 'image conscious' players at my club who, as far as I know, aren't going to be annoying Nike, Titleist, Callaway or whomever else by having the logo on the front of their cap hidden from view by the glasses since they haven't got lucrative sponsorship deals in place for sporting thoes logos.

I can't honestly say that it [i]annoys[/i] me, but it's worth a laugh to see them dropping their glasses a dozen times a round because they refuse to sit them atop the peak where they won't fall off for the sake of looking like a pro.
[i][b]
One chap at our place does it regularly and has even resorted - I kid you not - to pinning a small round badge onto his trouser belt loop, presumably in imitation of a competitors' badge.[/b][/i] I've no idea what it actually [i]is[/i] - albeit I [i]do[/i] know that it's not a [i]bona fide[/i] badge of any sort - but I defy anyone not to have a private chuckle at that level of pretentiousness. Say what you like about white belts and staff bags with names on them; that's Fantasy Land stuff.[/quote]

Mat- the reaction alone if you were to actually ASK him what it represented would far outweigh the 30 seconds of discomfort you would experience...

Honestly, I think the asker of the question should be someone with an appropriate level of pyschiatric expertise. That's not me, sadly.

I'd be fascinated to hear what the answer was though. A staff bag with your name on and a [i]For Tour Use Only[/i] putter cover I can just about get my head around and can accept, but a pretend badge for a tournament that only exists in your own mind? Wow. That's heavy duty. Is pretentiousness limited only to things that have a root in reality? Can utter fantasy be pretentious at the same time?

Where's that psychiatrist when you need them?

[quote name='mat562' post='1871172' date='Aug 7 2009, 11:58 AM']but a pretend badge for a tournament that only exists in your own mind? Wow. That's heavy duty. Is pretentiousness limited only to things that have a root in reality? Can utter fantasy be pretentious at the same time?[/quote]

Was a good look had at this badge? For all we know it said, First Place, Dad's Golf Tournament. Love, Little Johnny.

[quote name='mat562' post='1871172' date='Aug 7 2009, 11:58 AM']Honestly, I think the asker of the question should be someone with an appropriate level of pyschiatric expertise. That's not me, sadly.

I'd be fascinated to hear what the answer was though. A staff bag with your name on and a [i]For Tour Use Only[/i] putter cover I can just about get my head around and can accept, but a pretend badge for a tournament that only exists in your own mind? Wow. That's heavy duty. Is pretentiousness limited only to things that have a root in reality? Can utter fantasy be pretentious at the same time?

Where's that psychiatrist when you need them?[/quote]

Don't know your guest policy but just to be sure if I'm ever in town- your club is the first exit outside of Narnia?? ;);)

• 1 year later...

[quote name='westchester bomber' timestamp='1244744147' post='1749633']
Whenever someone talks sh*t about whatever someone is wearing, a good friend of mine always says "let him live dog, you do you" in other words mind your business. As far as people hating on "trendy" people on the golf course ie camillo, that dude has chicks throwing themselves at him so he must be doing something right. Also, im in decent shape does that mean i have to wear sleeves down to my forearms and pants that can fit two people in them. I wear tight shirts on the course, show off the pecks and rip it down the fairway.
[/quote]

I know this is a very old post but the pecs line is among the funniest things I have ever read on any golf forum.

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1240862258' post='1658997']
+1 for the popped collar

but who cares as long as the person wearing is friendly, then so be it. No d-bags.
[/quote]

Agreed...Who cares what you wear... different strokes for different folks...Just nice to meet somebody new on the course that is a cool person. From 8 to 80 it's great that everyone brings something different.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Shanks For The Memories' timestamp='1243933030' post='1731239']
I just want to know, what kind of golf course lets people on wearing jeans and T-shirts? I don't think I've ever played a course that allowed that, except for the driving range on some.
[/quote]

I played on a military course in Korea, there was a "dude" there wearing a pair on jean shorts, white T- shirt coving is "dun lap", and a pair of hiking boots. This was the first and only time I have ever said what the hell at a golf course.

Other than that, some folks in this thread would never make in the Asia. They dress in the latest and greatest every day. On family outings to the course they all wear the same thing, shirts, same color pants or shorts; they also all have staff bags, and neat style tees and ball markets. Cheapest one I found was $12 US, that's one tee and marker.

As for me I'm 28, I have had what might be called the trendy style since I started buying my own clothes 11 years ago. I wear white belts, white pants, pleats, flat fronts, colors that can blind you; I have worn jeans in Colorado during the winter with Underarmor thermals, mock turtle necks, I have popped the collar there also. At 6000 feet sun block only goes so far. If its in I wear it.

I also wear pink shirts the wife bought me. She seems to buy me at least one every year. It's funny I have more girls commenting on those shirts than any other shirt I wear. Hey there might be something to it.

I also have a staff bag, with the same brand clubs, well not the putter and 2 wedges. But Hey, using all the same brand and writing reviews and making many post and being RESPECTFUL and OPENMINDED I got a free $200+ club from the company so even though I don't get paid to use their product ; I did receive something. Thanks GOLFWRX for helping with this.

Also, I wear all Nike, Adidas, Norman outfits, etc; shoes, belt, hat, the whole nine years.

If I want to wear one of about 20 suits to the course and change I will. Have I ever don't it I want say, but I will say this, some courses in China and Korea you have to wear a sports coat or blazer to the course.

How cares, I wear Camo uniforms for work every day. So when I'm off I go all out.

Seems some of you guys/gals have a issue. You probably also go to the beach, church, store, park, gym whatever it may be and do the same thing. You can't even let people be. You just have to find the fault and imperfection of everything, if it's not what you like then it shouldn't be.

I like certain type of Women; I bet I'm a poser because of that too.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Translation for thread:

Some dude wearing a pink shirt, white trousers w/white belt, popped collar, and heaven forbid a baseball hat when no sun was out kicked my a** the other day on the course and it really bothered me.....

Some of you need to remove the stick,,, errrr 9 iron from your a** and get a life..

Did I actually read that it bothers someone if others are wearing a hat while the sun isn't out? Really??

Maybe they sweat while golfing and don't like always having to wipe their forehead.