Golf Style things that annoy you

1. guys who tuck the hand towel in the back pocket or belt for cleaning their balls on the green

2. wearing cotton shorts or to a lesser extent, cotton shirts...get with the times please

3. wearing dress socks with shorts or normal length socks with shorts

i'm sure I can come up with more but these are the recent things I've seen that annoy me....I'm sure others can add some good ones

If I was a jerk I would say "quit worring about what others are wearing and play your game". But since you asked.

1. Jeans and "wife beaters" ala Kid Rock on the course

2. Anyone wearing "camp shirts" :russian_roulette:

3. Anyone trying to look "hip-hopish" yo, off the course

4. Flip flops........really :rolleyes:

5. And my favorite(and it has nothing to do with clothes....

when you are waiting to tee off, the group ahead is

playing the tips. And all but one slices it 150 into the next fairway.

Get to the whites son!!!!! :busted2:

Just my .02 cents. M29

If I was a jerk I would say "quit worring about what others are wearing and play your game". But since you asked.

Just my .02 cents. M29

How can a Cali guy hate flops? Thay are the official footwear of Florida!! (cool) Todd

It bugs me that I care, but I do - so here's my personal, non-rational pet peeves:

Pleats - even on tour these hang on. Wake up, they look terrible.

Dressing like a popsicle. Colors are cool, but bright red pants with a bright blue shirt, white belt and shoes is not (Zach Johnson on, I believe, Friday of the Masters).

Slovenly appearance at any level. Doesn't matter if it's your muni or the Tour. Doesn't matter if you are fat or slim. I like my shirt untucked with shorts, but I don't look like I slept in a dumpster and you don't have to, either.

White belts - sorry, reminds me of my Dad and his rat-pack wannabe friends in the '70's.

Pink anything - not unless you are doing something specific to promote awareness of Breast Cancer prevention.

Regular socks with shorts.

Ball retrievers.

Any manner of dressing that specifically mimics some particular player. The "Greg Norman" look used to be very popular, for example.

The "Jimmy Buffett" look - he's a hack musician and certainly not a role model for golfers.

The "sponsored" look for the average golfer. You know, adidas shoes with a 100% TM set and bag, Burner hat etc...

For me its people who think they are better than everyone else and believe they are entitled to critique/correct .....

As long as you're dressed within the parameters of what the particular club ascribes for .... who gives a flying F*^k!

I wear proper golf attire at my home course (be that a synthetic blend or cotton based golf shirt) at the cabin where its a very relaxed course I will golf in a t-shirt shorts and flip flops.

just play man.

my 2 cents!

Turbs.

Yeah, I hear ya. Not sure why it matters as long as your playing partner is following all the rules both of the game and of etiquette.

Having said that, I'm not sure what the big deal is about cotton shirts... I have some very expensive ($120) 100% cotton golf shirts. I absolutely love them- totally comfortable, wash great, iron great and look like new after being washed a few dozen times. The logo says "Sawgrass." (Paid $25 each at the TPC Sawgrass golf shop during a 2-day end of season sale- bought a bunch!)

Are they somehow in bad taste because they are cotton? They're a heck of a lot nicer (and classier) than some of the stuff I've seen some tour players wear.

People who don't know the difference between your and you're.

White belts.

Shirts not tucked in.

Golf shoes that look like trainers.

Drainpipe trousers.

Shirts that are three sizes too small and have sleeves that finish three inches above the elbow crease.

Ostentatious belt buckles. Whether they're so big they look like biscuit tin lids, or are bejewelled creations bought by AK-wannabe teenagers, they irk me.

All of the above when worn or exhibited by people who are overweight.

People who go all-out to mimic a particular player's look. We've got a Luke Donald/Justin Rose at my place, complete with trousers with a bit of piping down the seams and a number of 32" chest shirts, plus a Poulter, a Parnevik, and a junior who is a Villegas stalker - complete with Cobra staff bag, slow-motion backswing, a recoil follow through and a cap he got from Next or River Island or somewhere that's got the painter and decorator/Afrika Korps shape to it. 'Who's your favorite player then son?'

And the fact that I can't go into the bar of the clubhouse at my club after an evening knock without having a blazer and tie handy because the place is stuck in a 1930s time pocket.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Just my .02 cents. M29

#3 really bothers me the most. I understand that golf is a sport that should be enjoyed by all but I absolutely cringe when I see some of these military guys going out there with their sagging jeans and sideways Hurley hat with their Tap Out UFC shirt tucked only in the front behind the over sized belt buckle. I mean do these guys actually get chicks with this sort of look? I feel like breaking their cheap rented clubs over their heads.

you guys are really pretty touchy about what people wear on the course.

as long as it isnt sloppy looking and follows the rules of the course who gives a s***.

i prefer playing with my shirt untucked because it is more comfortable when its hot out

but my pet peeve on the course in popped collar, tight shirts

other than that if you dont look sloppy where whatever is appropriate

you guys are really pretty touchy about what people wear on the course.

as long as it isnt sloppy looking and follows the rules of the course who gives a s***.

i prefer playing with my shirt untucked because it is more comfortable when its hot out

but my pet peeve on the course in popped collar, tight shirts

other than that if you dont look sloppy where whatever is appropriate

Probably because we feel that the people like the aboved mentioned that wear these atrocious articles of 'clothing' are bastardizing the sport. Now I know there is no 'uniform' per se in golf but I am sure that if they started letting people wear whatever they wanted in basketball or any other sport, there would be hell to pay. I just feel that most courses are too relaxed and too afraid to send paying customers away.

• Like 1

It bugs me that I care, but I do - so here's my personal, non-rational pet peeves:

Pleats - even on tour these hang on. Wake up, they look terrible.

Dressing like a popsicle. Colors are cool, but bright red pants with a bright blue shirt, white belt and shoes is not (Zach Johnson on, I believe, Friday of the Masters).

Slovenly appearance at any level. Doesn't matter if it's your muni or the Tour. Doesn't matter if you are fat or slim. I like my shirt untucked with shorts, but I don't look like I slept in a dumpster and you don't have to, either.

White belts - sorry, reminds me of my Dad and his rat-pack wannabe friends in the '70's.

Pink anything - not unless you are doing something specific to promote awareness of Breast Cancer prevention.

Regular socks with shorts.

Ball retrievers.

Any manner of dressing that specifically mimics some particular player. The "Greg Norman" look used to be very popular, for example.

The "Jimmy Buffett" look - he's a hack musician and certainly not a role model for golfers.

The "sponsored" look for the average golfer. You know, adidas shoes with a 100% TM set and bag, Burner hat etc...

Hey Sides...

I was one of those guys in the 70's with the white belt and yes, it was worn with a Leisure Suit...powder blue...the pics make me laugh now. How stupid.

One of the great things about having kids is that they look at old pics and laugh at what you wore during your youth. And then they have kids who laugh at them for what they wore in their youth! Get the laughs in now...your turn is coming. Fortunately, my boys still love 70's music...

Hey Sides...

I was one of those guys in the 70's with the white belt and yes, it was worn with a Leisure Suit...powder blue...the pics make me laugh now. How stupid.

One of the great things about having kids is that they look at old pics and laugh at what you wore during your youth. And then they have kids who laugh at them for what they wore in their youth! Get the laughs in now...your turn is coming. Fortunately, my boys still love 70's music...

Hey Dave - no problem. Don't forget I said it bugged me that I even cared and that it was my irrational opinion.

My 21 year old son is merciless in criticizing my taste in everything. As much as I enjoyed having him play drums in my bands, it was kind of a relief to have him go off to college and not have a band mate telling me how lame I was all the time... When he gets hold of an old photo - watch out.

Anyway, yes, I'll wear a white belt and platform heels too, but only if I'm doing a medley of Brothers Johnson, Rufus, Earth Wind & Fire, and Ohio Players... Yaaaaooowwwl!

the thing that annoys me most, honestly, is my own judgment of people. i can't tell you how many times i've scoffed at someone for how they dress, only to find out they are an awesome person and a joy to play golf with. and that goes for someone decked out in $600 worth of JL, to a guy in jean shorts, sneakers, and an un-tucked t-shirt with holes.

it's a sad part of human nature, i guess.

• Like 1

Just my .02 cents. M29

How can a Cali guy hate flops? Thay are the official footwear of Florida!! (cool) Todd

Don't hate "floppers", just not for out on the course. M29

As long as someone maintains a reasonable pace of play, knows when to let people play through and takes care of the course, then I really don't have a problem with anything they're wearing. That being said though, there are certain wardrobe or behavioral markers that seem to frequently characterize individuals in violation of observing these standards of etiquette. A culprit's wardrobe, and/or subsequent on-course intolerability is commonly described by one or more of the following qualities (IMO):

1. Denim of any kind. Jorts specifically, but jean pants don't belong on the course itself IMO. The range and the practice green are subject to exception because I know many people go to get some practice in after work, class, etc. and it would be impractical to go home and change for such

2. Gym Shorts / Swim Trunks

3. Tank Tops

4. Button down shirts. Especially the "Bowling Style" ones with pictures of dragons, flames, skulls, or anything else that looks like it belongs on the side of a Harley Davidson. Palm trees and such are a slightly easier to stomach, but if the shirt isn't tucked in, then those palm trees might as well be dragon skulls surrounded by flames...

5. T-Shirts

6. Pants / shorts that are worn either above the bellybutton or below the tailbone

7. Any head-wear besides a "baseball" style hat or visor. Specifically, fishing style bucket hats (Think Bubba Watson), and wide brimmed hats (Think Greg Norman or Shingo Katayama. Yes, unfortunately I have seen Shingo style hats on the course)

8. Backwards / crooked hats

9. Anything worn in a "Hip-Hop" fashion

10. Longer than shoulder length hair (except for female golfers)

11. Fauxhawks, or any hairstyle that requires the use of hair gel or other product before stepping onto the first tee (Think Ian Poulter)

12. Voices that are audible from a green to its' respective tee

13. Having any amount of cans or bottles of beer in the cart that is in excess of the number of clubs in the bag.

14. Flip Flops

15. Popped collars

16. Any degree of "Whippersnapping"

Granted, the majority of my golf is played at city courses, so the above traits may only be municipal phenomena. However, regardless of the type of course, the frequency with which these traits are exhibited can only lead me to believe that they could be universally attributed to anyone that consistently fails to observe any degree of course etiquette, and consequently hinders another golfer's enjoyment. So, like I said, as long as someone observes simple course etiquette, I could care less what they look like or how they play the game, but my blood pressure does start to rise when I see golfers resembling anything above, because for me those qualities have been common to those who have hindered my experience on the course at one time or another.

7. Any head-wear besides a "baseball" style hat or visor.

However, regardless of the type of course, the frequency with which these traits are exhibited can only lead me to believe that they could be universally attributed to anyone that consistently fails to observe any degree of course etiquette, and consequently hinders another golfer's enjoyment.

Yeah. Throw the bum out.

hoganswing.jpg

As far as clothes go on the course....to each his own. I love the JL/Poulter?puma look myself but if you don't, more power to you.

What I hate is people that hit a 190 yard drive on a par 5, have 310 left and wait for the green to clear, thus holding up everyone. LAME!!!!!

Oh man, we made the mistake of letting these 2 guys go in front of us sunday (they looked like they could play and had decent equipment) because my wife was a little delayed getting ready (it was her first time actually playing a game so she forgot this and that...) and boy, what a mistake that was....

First they were playing from the tips and one couldnt get the ball to go 50y and the other one was OB most of the time and teeing up again. My wife after the jitters went away by the 3rd hole was hitting it farther than the guy....PLUS they waited every time when people were at least 200y from them and then they complained every time that THEY had to wait. They were putting even the 1 footers after taking a minute to read the green for a 1 footer.

We kept running into them at every hole, and we were 3, they were 2. By hole #8 we came to the tee after we paused for a bathroom break to find them still there waiting because someone was still getting to the green (on a par 4 of at least 390y).... My wife was so pissed she said really loud "Just hit it, there is no way in hell you are going to get it there...) After the guy hit a low flying 100 y slice she said again "See, play the red"...

We couldnt stop laughing since we were trying to be as polite as possible but they were getting really anoying with their lack of speed. I mean I am no low handicap at all and I play from the whites along with my wife's little cousin whos pretty decent and plays on his HS team.

Anyways, looking good by no means equals playing good or behaving good.

Plus one of the guys was a cleptomaniac and we are sure he took at least 2 of our balls since he will walk around just picking up balls... Christ the Lord!!!!!!!

PEace

10. Longer than shoulder length hair (except for female golfers)

11. Fauxhawks, or any hairstyle that requires the use of hair gel or other product before stepping onto the first tee (Think Ian Poulter)

Seriously?

I just don't like the pretentious 15 year olds with an AK/Camilo-inspired wardrobe, who display how well they can hack the ball around.

Some people are so sensitive! Reality is no matter what everyone wears to the course or what equipment they show up with, they will offend, or irk someone's taste/standards. I have my own list, but life is too short. The best post so far is the person who is dissappointed with himself for making assumptions about a person based on their first impression.

That being said, for the persons who are put off by cotton shirts and "anything besides baseball caps" grow up. Some of us actually want some function out of our apparal.

Those new ultra thin/moisture wicking hi tech shirts are great for keeping you dry. But they are so thin that I sunburn right through them! So I am forced to either put lotion on UNDER the shirt or wear a t-shirt under as a buffer. They also tend to smell after a few rounds even with special washing techniques. So cotton for me. And I used to pop my collar some to keep the neck cool until I changed hats. Which leads us to the baseball caps.

The baseball caps are definitely the in thing but not much function there. I got tired of getting lotion in my eyes (and on my glasses) because the cap does not offer much protection at all. So I switched to a big goofy looking sun protection performance hat from Coolibar. And let me tell you it is goofy looking! Kinda like a Sombrero or one of those Asian (no offense meant) farmer hats. Best thing I ever did. That hat is specifically made to keep me cool and protect my skin. And it does its job! Now I only apply lotion to my chin, lower neck and that spot in front where the buttons open! (the arms and legs are a given) My head, face and neck stay cool because I am always in the shade! Windy days can be a problem. Best part is I don't have that reptilean/leather skin that you see on so many golfers these days. (you know what I am talking about) I am even thinking about buying one of their long sleeve sun protection golf shirts. If it works and still keeps me cool, the ridicule on the course will still be worth it.

So if you are put off by the cotton shirts and goofy hat so be it. I am trying to do everything I can to ensure I will be playing as long as I can. I don't want to face the alternative if I can avoid it.

I hate when i feel my shorts are too small. It is hard to find golf shorts that are not too baggy and not too small. I also hate that I have been wearing the same Nike dri fit hat for 4 years and it is almost white (it was blue) from sweat and sun. It looks terrible, but I can not find anything to replace it.