Golf Style things that annoy you

this thread is the epitome of why people think golfers are douchebags. at least when i step on to a basketball court, im not worried about a-holes judging me on my costco shorts or my plain white tees. not to mention the regular running shoes i play in! HERESY!

You're confused and have it all backwards. Nobody has a problem with a costco golf outfit. We have a problem (by problem I mean just think it's pretentious, not an actual problem) with the equivalent of someone showing up to a pickup basketball game wearing full Lakers warmup pants and shirt, then stripping down into a personalized official Lakers jersey tucked into official Lakers shorts with Kobe Bryant shoes and Lakers socks, matching Lakers forearm bands and a Lakers headbands. We're just saying that guy's a pretentious poser who takes himself too seriously. Do you disagree with that?

As long as a player is not violating the dress code at that particular course, I could care less what someone else wears.

I assume you mean you "couldn't" care less....

Caring about a dress code but then ignoring all other clothing choices outside of that is illogical and a sign of not thinking for yourself. You only dislike clothes that other people have told you to dislike (dress code). Just like most people only like white belts because other people have told them they're "cool." Same goes for plaid bellbottoms in the 70s and wigs and frilly shirts in the 1700s.

Wow... some people in this thread are complete losers - especially Matt652 and Billy Baroo who don't understand the concept of fashion and style. I bet both of you turn up to your golf club dressed in black chinos, black shoes, black buckle belt and a solid white polo shirt, just shows how boring and un-charismatic both of you are. All juniors at my golf club dress with some sort of style, whether that be white trousers, hot pink mock turtle-necks or J.Lindeberg belts and no-one else has a problem with us wearing that sort of clothing. It's not against the dress-code and it also shows you have some concept of style rather than turning up looking scruffy. Would you rather see a scruffy-looking golfer on the golf course, or a golfer who has a sense of style, but like's to wear different colours from the usual boring colours? Thought so.

I'm not saying that I love Ian Poulter's outfits and I think we should dress like him - certainly not. I admit, sometimes he does take it much too far and ends up looking like a ****, a bit like yesterday at Colonial wearing all-pink. (I know it was raising awareness for Mickelson's wife who has been diagnosed with breast cancer, but I think he thought that was the perfect oppotunity to come out in a new outift)

You're a bunch of silly kids trying to be cool. That is pretty much my point. Fashion is one thing, but taking it too far and being a flamboyant poser is another. The reason it looks ridiculous for a middle aged or old man to dress like like Ian Poulter or a typical poser is because people figure the older man would've matured by then.

You're a bunch of silly kids trying to be cool. That is pretty much my point. Fashion is one thing, but taking it too far and being a flamboyant poser is another. The reason it looks ridiculous for a middle aged or old man to dress like like Ian Poulter or a typical poser is because people figure the older man would've matured by then.

That is not true at all.. the reason middle aged men don't dress like Ian Poulter is not because they have matured, it is because a majority of them cant pull it off.. overall, it comes down to wether or not you can pull off that look. A majority of middle aged men can't pull off the Ian Poulter look, and that is why they do not dress like him (unless, ofcourse they just dont like that style). Maturity has nothing to do with it, along with he middle aged men that cant pull it off, there are also others who can, and ive seen plenty of them.. and by no means are those men immature, just because they prefer to dress that way.

That is not true at all.. the reason middle aged men don't dress like Ian Poulter is not because they have matured, it is because a majority of them cant pull it off.. overall, it comes down to wether or not you can pull off that look. A majority of middle aged men can't pull off the Ian Poulter look, and that is why they do not dress like him (unless, ofcourse they just dont like that style). Maturity has nothing to do with it, along with he middle aged men that cant pull it off, there are also others who can, and ive seen plenty of them.. and by no means are those men immature, just because they prefer to dress that way.

Oh, so the reason is "they can't pull it off".....really deep reasoning there.....that clears it right up....

The question is why can't they pull it off. What is stopping them from being able to pull it off? I'm saying maturity is a big factor.

LMAO! Are you on crack?!

You just sound like a bitter, old man who doesn't realise the s*** he's spouting. How is wearing a white belt taking it too far? How is wearing a pink shirt taking it too far? Hell, you probably think wearing visors is taking it too far. I'm sorry, but I don't want to look like your average, boring, golfer who has not grasped the concept of looking stylish and smart on a golf course. I'm not trying to stand-out from the crowd and try and be some sort of unique figure - because many people at my golf club wear similar golf attire to me, not just the juniors.

No-one is breaking the rules by wearing a white belt, pink shirt and pinstriped trousers, so why is it any of your concern, why does it bother you so much?

To all the haters who don't like this or that fashion for whatever reason, you're probably just too old or too out of style to know what's going on. Whatever guy created this thread is out eyeing guys on the course when he should be working on his putting or something. The last thing I care about on the course is what other people look like, if they're cool to play with, it's all good to me. I play the game to play the game, not to hate on the younger, better looking guys who are pulling the ladies. Those ladies are probably your daughters.

From what I've seen being around the industry and in the industry is that middle aged men that are fashion forward (ie. do their own shopping and hate it when others pick out their clothes) tend to be more fashion forward and willing to try new styles. Others who aren't as fashion conscious and don't want to be ridiculed by their playing partners/wives/etc. wear more conservative clothing. Being extroverted/introverted also plays a big part.

Wow... some people in this thread are complete losers - especially Matt652 and Billy Baroo who don't understand the concept of fashion and style. I bet both of you turn up to your golf club dressed in black chinos, black shoes, black buckle belt and a solid white polo shirt, just shows how boring and un-charismatic both of you are. All juniors at my golf club dress with some sort of style, whether that be white trousers, hot pink mock turtle-necks or J.Lindeberg belts and no-one else has a problem with us wearing that sort of clothing. It's not against the dress-code and it also shows you have some concept of style rather than turning up looking scruffy. Would you rather see a scruffy-looking golfer on the golf course, or a golfer who has a sense of style, but like's to wear different colours from the usual boring colours? Thought so.

I'm not saying that I love Ian Poulter's outfits and I think we should dress like him - certainly not. I admit, sometimes he does take it much too far and ends up looking like a ****, a bit like yesterday at Colonial wearing all-pink. (I know it was raising awareness for Mickelson's wife who has been diagnosed with breast cancer, but I think he thought that was the perfect oppotunity to come out in a new outift)

With apologies to Paul Simon:

"I'd rather be a Czervik than a Smails."

As for being boring and non-charismatic, that may be so on the golf course. When my band plays out, I think I'm as charismatic and exciting as the next musician.

Your avatar is Angus Young of AC/DC, born 31 March 1955. That makes him about 3 years younger than I am. His stage style and mine differ a bit. I can't bring off the schoolboy shorts, and nobody wants to see me shirtless on stage. That said, I think my band does a pretty good rendition of some of the AC/DC repertoire.

It turns into style over substance. I prefer substance, even though I suck as a golfer. I wear what fits the course's dress code, and is clean. Within those parameters, I wear what looks the best on my fat middle-aged body. Please remember, though, that I'm not dressing to impress you. Especially if one of my clients in my real-world business is on the golf course with me. Dressing in an understated manner there helps me accomplish my objective.

As for me:

- fully branded outfits

- people wearing a baseball cap when there is no sun

- people thinking a baseball cap is the required hat to play golf just because pros do it to advertise their endorsements(hint: "baseball" cap)

- white trousers (unless you're a plus handicap)

- hip hopish look

- white socks with black shoes

- big belt buckles (unless you're a plus handicap)

As for me:

- fully branded outfits

- people wearing a baseball cap when there is no sun

- people thinking a baseball cap is the required hat to play golf just because pros do it to advertise their endorsements(hint: "baseball" cap)

- white trousers (unless you're a plus handicap)

- hip hopish look

- white socks with black shoes

- big belt buckles (unless you're a plus handicap)

So, there's "handicap fashion" now??? :lol:

*siren*

"This is the Fashion Police ---pull the cart over to the path!"

"We're going to need to see your scorecard and your G.H.I.N. number, sir."

"But officer, these pants are 'stone' colored...."

"It's the buckle. You're wearing an over-regulation sized buckle."

• Haha 1

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Wow... some people in this thread are complete losers - especially Matt652... who [doesn't] understand the concept of fashion and style. I bet you turn up to your golf club dressed in black chinos, black shoes, black buckle belt and a solid white polo shirt, just shows how boring and un-charismatic both of you are.

I prefer beige/stone trousers as a rule. Not chinos though.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

For me, it's the way huge oversize polos, or even worse, mock turtlenecks. Think Paul Goydos. Sleeves past the elbows. And also any pants or shorts with pleats, especially multiple pleats. Look like Z-Cavaracci pants from the 80's. Jeans are a no go for me as well. These are just things that I don't like.

That being said, wear what you like, golf is supposed to be fun. I have enjoyed many rounds with many people wearing different types of outfits. You can't necessarily judge whether someone would be good company on the course or not based on their get up.

Oh, so the reason is "they can't pull it off".....really deep reasoning there.....that clears it right up....

The question is why can't they pull it off. What is stopping them from being able to pull it off? I'm saying maturity is a big factor.

they cant pull it off because they would look like an idiot.. simple, doesnt matter how mature u are..

i dont see how ian poulter is immature because he wears bright colors, a popped collar, and a white belt

Guys who wear a red Nike shirt, black pants and have a Frank (tiger) head cover, Nike staff bag and all Nike clubs, yeah I get it you like Tiger Woods

Wearing the complete Taylor Made Addias collection, If they are paying you big bucks fine, if not you are a poser.

White belts, wow this one has everyone fired up. Funny thing is I was at the range the other day and about ten different teenagers were there, all had white belts. You would think one of them would like to display a little originality but the more they try to be different the more they are all the same. IMO white belts are fine if your waste size is under 30" and you are under the age of 25, after that dress your age. It's like the old wrinkled woman with bleach blonde hair who shops at the Gap and trys to look 25 and is 50 years old.

skinny rock star jeans, tight retro polo with short sleeves and a goofy looking fedora hat. Great for a Justin Timberlake concert but not the golf course.

Those big baggy pants with NFL logos on them from the 1990's that look like pajamas, sorry forgot the name for them.

Anything hip hop, how do you swing with your pants around your ankles?

The guy with the Masters hat, green masters shirt, masters ball marker, and leftover green wrapper from his pimento cheese sandwich, usually his buddy went and bought the stuff for him.

I was once playing at this nine hole course out in the country a ways, saw a guy wearing wranglers, a plaid western shirt a cowboy hat and cowboy boots. He left heel marks all over the green was my problem, I am sure he was quite fashionable for that neck of the woods.

My favorite is the guy who has a brand new fancy $300 bag, $250 golf shoes, $100 shirt with a country club logo and a $10 set of clubs and shoots 133 from the tips. If you got the money for the clothes and shoes fine, but maybe you should have bought a least a decent set of used clubs and paid for a lesson before you spanked two dozen Prov1's into the pond and were more worried about your clothes and bag than playing a least a respectable game.

My favorite is the old guy with the long stripped shorts from the 1960's, knee high dress socks, and old stiff collard polo circa 1975, a big floppy hat and a set of laminated Northwestern clubs in a vinyl bag. This guy has a ball retriever so he never has to pay for balls and those big sunglasses that fit over top his tri focals. When I say my favorite I mean, it those old dudes crack me up, they probably have more fun than the rest of us pretencious snobsl LOL.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I think anyone who takes the time or money to look good on the course should be commended. Pop collar or non pop, I really could care less. We are all having fun out there. One thing I notice is that the guys that look good off the course tend to look good on the course as well. Taste is taste when it comes down to it. The one thing I am scared of is the older guy with a faded ping bag and an old club visor asking for a game.

And also any pants or shorts with pleats, especially multiple pleats. Look like Z-Cavaracci pants from the 80's. Jeans are a no go for me as well. These are just things that I don't like.

Right on brother. Pleated pants are bad beyond words, especially if they are accompanied by white sports socks. I note that Woods used to have a penchant for such pants, along with awful turtle neck tops. Funnily enough he stopped wearing them right around the time he got married. It seems even the golfing deity himself isn't beyond having his fashion choices passive-aggressively slammed and ultimatley changed by his missus.

My favorite is the old guy with the long stripped shorts from the 1960's, knee high dress socks, and old stiff collard polo circa 1975, a big floppy hat and a set of laminated Northwestern clubs in a vinyl bag. This guy has a ball retriever so he never has to pay for balls and those big sunglasses that fit over top his tri focals. When I say my favorite I mean, it those old dudes crack me up, they probably have more fun than the rest of us pretencious snobsl LOL.

His wife is usually waiting for him in the grillroom. She has to sit next to him while he drives to tell him which way to steer, since he can't see well enough to drive by himself anymore, even in daylight.

BTW, I'm not really kidding. I see it all the time down here.