Golf Style things that annoy you

If I was a jerk I would say "quit worring about what others are wearing and play your game". But since you asked.

1. Jeans and "wife beaters" ala Kid Rock on the course

2. Anyone wearing "camp shirts" :russian_roulette:

3. Anyone trying to look "hip-hopish" yo, off the course

4. Flip flops........really :rolleyes:

5. And my favorite(and it has nothing to do with clothes....

when you are waiting to tee off, the group ahead is

playing the tips. And all but one slices it 150 into the next fairway.

Get to the whites son!!!!! :busted2:

Just my .02 cents. M29

How can a Cali guy hate flops? Thay are the official footwear of Florida!! (cool) Todd

Don't hate "floppers", just not for out on the course. M29

Now I understand and agree! Todd

People who go all-out to mimic a particular player's look. We've got a Luke Donald/Justin Rose at my place, complete with trousers with a bit of piping down the seams and a number of 32" chest shirts, plus a Poulter, a Parnevik, and a junior who is a Villegas stalker - complete with Cobra staff bag, slow-motion backswing, a recoil follow through and a cap he got from Next or River Island or somewhere that's got the painter and decorator/Afrika Korps shape to it. 'Who's your favorite player then son?'

LOL! Mat, I'm sure you like this quote as much as I do:

Dan "Duke" Davis, the old curmudgeon who does the 20 minute updates on ESPN Radio just came out with a great line in recapping the Buick:

"Camilo Villegas, inexplicably dressed as a house painter, finished third."

I had no problem with Camilo's outfit, but this line, delivered in completely deadpan manner, just gave me a chuckle.

And regarding the jacket and tie situation, Rod Laver spoke in his book about how he and Lew Hoad were at some hotel in Oz without air conditioning and the temp at over 100* F looking for a beer, and the bartender said, "Get jackets and ties or get out, you mugs!"

:)

Anyway, yes, I'll wear a white belt and platform heels too, but only if I'm doing a medley of Brothers Johnson, Rufus, Earth Wind & Fire, and Ohio Players... Yaaaaooowwwl!

Don't forget the platform shoes with the aquariums in them from "I'm Gonna Git You, Sucka!" ;)

Good choice on the music from that era. Tell Me Somethin' Good, Sideways! But don't forget Brick House.

I usually don't worry about what others are wearing. Just hit the ball and keep moving.

I remember the days of yore (70's) with guy's in gym shoes, calf high striped top tube socks, cut-off jeans and tank tops. :)

as for the shoes with aquariums in the heel... I seem to remember Frenchy Fuqua of the Steelers sporting a pair of these.

1. guys who tuck the hand towel in the back pocket or belt for cleaning their balls on the green

2. wearing cotton shorts or to a lesser extent, cotton shirts...get with the times please

3. wearing dress socks with shorts or normal length socks with shorts

i'm sure I can come up with more but these are the recent things I've seen that annoy me....I'm sure others can add some good ones

Am I missing something? since when is cotton not an acceptable fabric for golf shirts? Granted, I've got plenty of golf shirts made with other fabrics but to suggest cotton is somehow dated or "ancient" is strange to say the least.

Honestly, after reading some of these posts, I can't believe anyone leaves their house. Who cares what someone else wears on the golf course? As long as it fits the description put forth by the club itself, play away people- and enjoy life a little. Sheez...

1. Paintfill on clubs, I mean this isnt a coloring book with crayons, that you post on the wall in the first grade. You hit it with the face of the club, not the back.

2. People that whisper and u hear them 3 fairways over.

3. People that can't count to 18. Starting at 1. Old geezers are the worst at number 2. and number 3.

1. guys who tuck the hand towel in the back pocket or belt for cleaning their balls on the green

2. wearing cotton shorts or to a lesser extent, cotton shirts...get with the times please

i'm sure I can come up with more but these are the recent things I've seen that annoy me....I'm sure others can add some good ones

Am I missing something? since when is cotton not an acceptable fabric for golf shirts? Granted, I've got plenty of golf shirts made with other fabrics but to suggest cotton is somehow dated or "ancient" is strange to say the least.

Honestly, after reading some of these posts, I can't believe anyone leaves their house. Who cares what someone else wears on the golf course? As long as it fits the description put forth by the club itself, play away people- and enjoy life a little. Sheez...

I'm going to go out on a limb here but I think the OP of that comment may have meant just a plain cotton tee shirt, not a cotton polo shirt.

Now as for the "As long as it fits the description put forth by the club itself..." part, I agree to an extent. I think people just take it out of context kind of like the whole "Freedom of Speech" thing. Sure the course just says "Collard shirt, slacks (or shorts no more than X above the knee) and no street shoes." Oh so that means I can wear a bight pink with purple and orange polka dotted collared shirt with lime green/blue slacks and red golf shoes. Does it effect my game one bit if someone is dressed like something out of a kidergarteners coloring book? No. I just wish people had more respect for the game and dressed more appropriate. Golf may not be the easiest game in the world but it's pretty easy to dress like you know what you're doing.

THIS IS GOLF! NOT A ROCK CONCERT! - Shooter McGavin

I'm going to go out on a limb here but I think the OP of that comment may have meant just a plain cotton tee shirt, not a cotton polo shirt.

Now as for the "As long as it fits the description put forth by the club itself..." part, I agree to an extent. I think people just take it out of context kind of like the whole "Freedom of Speech" thing. Sure the course just says "Collard shirt, slacks (or shorts no more than X above the knee) and no street shoes." Oh so that means I can wear a bight pink with purple and orange polka dotted collared shirt with lime green/blue slacks and red golf shoes. Does it effect my game one bit if someone is dressed like something out of a kidergarteners coloring book? No. I just wish people had more respect for the game and dressed more appropriate. Golf may not be the easiest game in the world but it's pretty easy to dress like you know what you're doing.

THIS IS GOLF! NOT A ROCK CONCERT! - Shooter McGavin

Doesn't golf have exactly the opposite history, though? I wasn't into golf until the last couple of years. But my whole life, my perception of golf was that it was folks dressed more like Payne Stewart or Ian Poulter than "business casual." In fact, I knew quite a few guys in the '80's and '90's who would bring a change of clothes to work in a duffle bag. At lunch on their golf days you'd see them emerge from the men's room in knickers, brightly colored shirts/jackets/socks, and a derby, off to the local muni for an afternoon round. Very old-style Scottish looking- which is fine, nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying, that's more the history of it, to me at least.

Now, I can go from business casual at my office, throw on my golf shoes and tee off in 5 minutes. If it's a cool day where you don't even break a sweat, I can head back to the office after golf just by changing back into my dress shoes.

As far as clothes go on the course....to each his own. I love the JL/Poulter?puma look myself but if you don't, more power to you.

What I hate is people that hit a 190 yard drive on a par 5, have 310 left and wait for the green to clear, thus holding up everyone. LAME!!!!!

Oh man, we made the mistake of letting these 2 guys go in front of us sunday (they looked like they could play and had decent equipment) because my wife was a little delayed getting ready (it was her first time actually playing a game so she forgot this and that...) and boy, what a mistake that was....

First they were playing from the tips and one couldnt get the ball to go 50y and the other one was OB most of the time and teeing up again. My wife after the jitters went away by the 3rd hole was hitting it farther than the guy....PLUS they waited every time when people were at least 200y from them and then they complained every time that THEY had to wait. They were putting even the 1 footers after taking a minute to read the green for a 1 footer.

We kept running into them at every hole, and we were 3, they were 2. By hole #8 we came to the tee after we paused for a bathroom break to find them still there waiting because someone was still getting to the green (on a par 4 of at least 390y).... My wife was so pissed she said really loud "Just hit it, there is no way in hell you are going to get it there...) After the guy hit a low flying 100 y slice she said again "See, play the red"...

We couldnt stop laughing since we were trying to be as polite as possible but they were getting really anoying with their lack of speed. I mean I am no low handicap at all and I play from the whites along with my wife's little cousin whos pretty decent and plays on his HS team.

Anyways, looking good by no means equals playing good or behaving good.

Plus one of the guys was a cleptomaniac and we are sure he took at least 2 of our balls since he will walk around just picking up balls... Christ the Lord!!!!!!!

PEace

"See, play the red"...

That's polite to you? I'd hate to see rude.

As far as clothes go on the course....to each his own. I love the JL/Poulter?puma look myself but if you don't, more power to you.

What I hate is people that hit a 190 yard drive on a par 5, have 310 left and wait for the green to clear, thus holding up everyone. LAME!!!!!

Oh man, we made the mistake of letting these 2 guys go in front of us sunday (they looked like they could play and had decent equipment) because my wife was a little delayed getting ready (it was her first time actually playing a game so she forgot this and that...) and boy, what a mistake that was....

First they were playing from the tips and one couldnt get the ball to go 50y and the other one was OB most of the time and teeing up again. My wife after the jitters went away by the 3rd hole was hitting it farther than the guy....PLUS they waited every time when people were at least 200y from them and then they complained every time that THEY had to wait. They were putting even the 1 footers after taking a minute to read the green for a 1 footer.

We kept running into them at every hole, and we were 3, they were 2. By hole #8 we came to the tee after we paused for a bathroom break to find them still there waiting because someone was still getting to the green (on a par 4 of at least 390y).... My wife was so pissed she said really loud "Just hit it, there is no way in hell you are going to get it there...) After the guy hit a low flying 100 y slice she said again "See, play the red"...

We couldnt stop laughing since we were trying to be as polite as possible but they were getting really anoying with their lack of speed. I mean I am no low handicap at all and I play from the whites along with my wife's little cousin whos pretty decent and plays on his HS team.

Anyways, looking good by no means equals playing good or behaving good.

Plus one of the guys was a cleptomaniac and we are sure he took at least 2 of our balls since he will walk around just picking up balls... Christ the Lord!!!!!!!

PEace

"See, play the red"...

That's polite to you? I'd hate to see rude.

I meant me and my cousin were trying to be polite. We couldnt stopped laughin (of course a silent laughter) at what she said since of course it was inappropriate. My wife was the one who said anything towards them since she is a newbie not well versed in etiquette. I never said she was polite, i just said she said those things out loud, I am sure for them to hear.

Anyways, point is I think you have to check the ego at home and be a little bit more "polite" towards others. If the course if empty be my guest play from the pro's tees but if you see groups bumping into you hole after hole after hole at least offer to let them move ahead, more so when we let them start first, but no, they didnt even offer so politeness and all, I stand by my comments.

Peace

+1 for the popped collar

but who cares as long as the person wearing is friendly, then so be it. No d-bags.

i actually pop the collar sometimes mainly to shield my neck from the sun. Unfortunately when i see guys like AK do it on tour, I see how bad it looks. :(

I can't stand the following:

Jean shorts

Cargo short

Shirts w/ any kind of # on it

Tube socks

+1 for the popped collar

but who cares as long as the person wearing is friendly, then so be it. No d-bags.

i actually pop the collar sometimes mainly to shield my neck from the sun. Unfortunately when i see guys like AK do it on tour, I see how bad it looks. :(

Jean shorts

Cargo short

Tube socks

LOL.. you wear popped collars, trucker hat, cargo shorts and that asian gangster belt that hangs down in front!!

:russian_roulette:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

+1 for the popped collar

Jean shorts

Cargo short

Tube socks

LOL.. you wear popped collars, trucker hat, cargo shorts and that asian gangster belt that hangs down in front!!

:russian_roulette:

I've changed it up a bit, but that hat is the only one that fits my big head so i deal w/ it.

Finally got some new JL pants now just need to find some shirts that fit.

woot woot.

IMO, Cotton shirts, look a lot better than a lot of the polyester crap I see people wearing all the time. Very few things accentuate moobs like a thin climacool polo on a summer day.

IMO, Cotton shirts, look a lot better than a lot of the polyester crap I see people wearing all the time. Very few things accentuate moobs like a thin climacool polo on a summer day.

I agree, the new polyester shirts make people look like sleazebags. They look like eastern european pawn shop owners from the 70s trying too hard to look cool or something.

White belts are for posers and followers. Same thing for painters hats.

Big belt buckles are cheesy as all hell, this should be obvious to all people over the age of 12.

If you have a popped collar I hope you are Zach Morris from Saved by the Bell.

I basically agree with everything that guy who is in a band said (too lazy to scroll to find his name).

Pink shirts are a phenomenon that just shows what a bunch of mindless followers most people are. Snowball sheep effect at it's very finest there. If you were a pink shirt today and didn't in 1990 you are only wearing it today because other people told you it was cool, not because you actually like it. If they told you wearing a shirt with Daffy Duck on it was "in" you'd be wearing that too.

If someone is wearing any of this stuff there are only two possibilities why they do it:

1) they have an ego problem and want you to think they're really cool. Aka they're very likely arrogant and obnoxious on some level.

2) they're clueless followers who don't know any better and are just going with the flow, albeit a cheesy arrogant flow. These are the people who wear this bs and actually turn out to be nice people.

wow. harsh. i have one white belt an old roommate left behind 8 years ago, one light pink shirt i got from H&M for $12.50, and i enjoy pants with prints matched with solid color shirts.

glad to know i'm also cheesy, a poser, a sheep, a mindless follower, as well as an arrogant sleezebag.

but at least i may be a nice person. got that going for me.

wow. harsh. i have one white belt an old roommate left behind 8 years ago, one light pink shirt i got from H&M for $12.50, and i enjoy pants with prints matched with solid color shirts.

glad to know i'm also cheesy, a poser, a sheep, a mindless follower, as well as an arrogant sleezebag.

I said polyester shirts tend to make people look like sleezebag eastern european pawn brokers, not that the people wearing them were necessarily sleezebags. So get that straight. But for wearing you're "old roomates" white belt and buying a pink shirt you are a little bit of a cheesy sheep like follower, yes. Pretty doubtful that you're arrogant, although a little insecure. It would be much worse if wearing them were more important to you. I could lie and say oh you just like them and they were your own unique fashion choices so who is anybody to judge anybody maaannn. But I also "judge" people who are laughing by thinking they think something is funny. Some things are just true, and that doesn't change if the truth hurts a little. Of course any judgement is able to be overturned with further evidence. But good luck with that.

Can you honestly tell me that you would've worn a pink shirt and a white belt back in 1990? Or would you have thought it was stupid then? And what is your stance on Zubaz pants? Leisure suits?

i agree with the flipped collars. i once asked a guy why he wears his collars flipped up. he didn't know! besides that it looks ridiculous. ok, just my personal opinion.

for the daffy duck shirt.........i may still have one left from the 80's.

I usually pop the collar when I wear my Daffy Duck shirts, and I don't know why either. I just subconsciously thought it was cool because Ian Poulter and Rory Sabbatini do it.

I said polyester shirts tend to make people look like sleezebag eastern european pawn brokers, not that the people wearing them were necessarily sleezebags. So get that straight. But for wearing you're "old roomates" white belt and buying a pink shirt you are a little bit of a cheesy sheep like follower, yes. Pretty doubtful that you're arrogant, although a little insecure. It would be much worse if wearing them were more important to you. I could lie and say oh you just like them and they were your own unique fashion choices so who is anybody to judge anybody maaannn. But I also "judge" people who are laughing by thinking they think something is funny. Some things are just true, and that doesn't change if the truth hurts a little. Of course any judgement is able to be overturned with further evidence. But good luck with that.

Can you honestly tell me that you would've worn a pink shirt and a white belt back in 1990? Or would you have thought it was stupid then? And what is your stance on Zubaz pants? Leisure suits?

insecure? really? you could tell all that?

listen, you just have to take into consideration that sometimes people just do things that they like without too much thinking about it. you may have put more thought into your post than i do into clothes. i dont know. i dont own nice clothes. i do all my shopping at H&M, which means i haven't paid more than $30 for a pair of pants or $15 for a shirt in a long time. my fashion choices get made very much based on what they have to offer. i'm lazy, i dont like shopping, but i like trying to look sharp on the golf course for some reason. it makes me feel and hopefully, play better.

the golf course is also the only place i ever even consider getting dressed up. i have about 30 white V-neck t-shirts, and that's pretty much all i wear in regular life. just in case you have an opinion about people who wear white V-neck t-shirts, i wear them because my family is very italian, and those were the shirts my father, grandfather, and uncles always wore. i'm proud of that tradition. i'm also proud of my chest hair and italian horn necklace.

i happen to like the style of 70's golf clothing, just because i do, i dont know why, i never really thought about it. i like pants with prints and plain colored shirts. i'm thin, so i like slim fitting clothing. part of this probably relates to the fact that H&M offers a lot of options along those lines. it started when i bought a pair of grey, lightly plaided pants from them about two years ago, not even sure if i'd even wear them. but i did wear them, and i liked them a lot. thats just the way it is. i dont really think to much about it other than i know that it makes me happy. as far as cotton vs polyester, i dont discriminate. whatever works.

in 1990 i had a hot pink Pine Valley polo my dad got me (i grew up 5 mins from the course) and i wore it all the time. i think it had like 6 buttons down the front. total old fogie shirt. now, my $12.50 pink H&M polo is only light pink, almost an off-white, so as you can see, i've come a long way in that regard (though i didn't know it was a bad thing if i didnt). i also own about 8 other $12.50 H&M polos in black, grey, red, white, blue, purple, yellow, and brown. pink is just another one of those colors. the reason i have so many is because they fade and get deodorant stains after about 3 uses. i also stink at doing the laundry and have a hard time properly taking care of clothing.

as far as the white belt, it's actually the only belt i ever wear. i like it a lot. i also have tattoos. i dont pop my collar but my neck gets incredibly sunburned, so maybe i should start.

my point is, everyone has a different story and different reasons for doing what they do. you said, " Some things are just true, and that doesn't change if the truth hurts a little." well, that cuts both ways. being judgmental automatically increases the chances you will be wrong, as opposed to getting to know someone first before you judge them. i see people doing things that annoy me all the time. but i have to remind myself that A) i dont know a thing about them and B) i'm already a worse person than them for letting myself get bothered.

it doesn't totally fit the situation, but i always like to remind myself of what Richard Nixon famously said in the farewell address to his staff:

"Always remember, others may hate you, but those that hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself."

I agree, the new polyester shirts make people look like sleazebags. They look like eastern european pawn shop owners from the 70s trying too hard to look cool or something.

White belts are for posers and followers. Same thing for painters hats.

Big belt buckles are cheesy as all hell, this should be obvious to all people over the age of 12.

If you have a popped collar I hope you are Zach Morris from Saved by the Bell.

I basically agree with everything that guy who is in a band said (too lazy to scroll to find his name).

Pink shirts are a phenomenon that just shows what a bunch of mindless followers most people are. Snowball sheep effect at it's very finest there. If you were a pink shirt today and didn't in 1990 you are only wearing it today because other people told you it was cool, not because you actually like it. If they told you wearing a shirt with Daffy Duck on it was "in" you'd be wearing that too.

If someone is wearing any of this stuff there are only two possibilities why they do it:

1) they have an ego problem and want you to think they're really cool. Aka they're very likely arrogant and obnoxious on some level.

2) they're clueless followers who don't know any better and are just going with the flow, albeit a cheesy arrogant flow. These are the people who wear this bs and actually turn out to be nice people.

Wow....

I happen to own none of those items mentioned above though I feel very blessed to have yet another fashion expert here at this site...

Why dont you just suggest everyone sport the same attire you do? Oh wait, mindless followers and all...

Wow....

I happen to own none of those items mentioned above though I feel very blessed to have yet another fashion expert here at this site...

Why dont you just suggest everyone sport the same attire you do? Oh wait, mindless followers and all...

Because I don't care whether people dress like me, that is just a straw man argument you made up. I'm simply explaining why most people dress the way they do.

i agree with the flipped collars. i once asked a guy why he wears his collars flipped up. he didn't know! besides that it looks ridiculous. ok, just my personal opinion.

for the daffy duck shirt.........i may still have one left from the 80's.

I usually pop the collar when I wear my Daffy Duck shirts, and I don't know why either. I just subconsciously thought it was cool because Ian Poulter and Rory Sabbatini do it.

LOL, that would be a pretty sharp look.

insecure? really? you could tell all that?

listen, you just have to take into consideration that sometimes people just do things that they like without too much thinking about it. you may have put more thought into your post than i do into clothes. i dont know. i dont own nice clothes. i do all my shopping at H&M, which means i haven't paid more than $30 for a pair of pants or $15 for a shirt in a long time. my fashion choices get made very much based on what they have to offer. i'm lazy, i dont like shopping, but i like trying to look sharp on the golf course for some reason. it makes me feel and hopefully, play better.

the golf course is also the only place i ever even consider getting dressed up. i have about 30 white V-neck t-shirts, and that's pretty much all i wear in regular life. just in case you have an opinion about people who wear white V-neck t-shirts, i wear them because my family is very italian, and those were the shirts my father, grandfather, and uncles always wore. i'm proud of that tradition. i'm also proud of my chest hair and italian horn necklace.

i happen to like the style of 70's golf clothing, just because i do, i dont know why, i never really thought about it. i like pants with prints and plain colored shirts. i'm thin, so i like slim fitting clothing. part of this probably relates to the fact that H&M offers a lot of options along those lines. it started when i bought a pair of grey, lightly plaided pants from them about two years ago, not even sure if i'd even wear them. but i did wear them, and i liked them a lot. thats just the way it is. i dont really think to much about it other than i know that it makes me happy. as far as cotton vs polyester, i dont discriminate. whatever works.

in 1990 i had a hot pink Pine Valley polo my dad got me (i grew up 5 mins from the course) and i wore it all the time. i think it had like 6 buttons down the front. total old fogie shirt. now, my $12.50 pink H&M polo is only light pink, almost an off-white, so as you can see, i've come a long way in that regard (though i didn't know it was a bad thing if i didnt). i also own about 8 other $12.50 H&M polos in black, grey, red, white, blue, purple, yellow, and brown. pink is just another one of those colors. the reason i have so many is because they fade and get deodorant stains after about 3 uses. i also stink at doing the laundry and have a hard time properly taking care of clothing.

as far as the white belt, it's actually the only belt i ever wear. i like it a lot. i also have tattoos. i dont pop my collar but my neck gets incredibly sunburned, so maybe i should start.

my point is, everyone has a different story and different reasons for doing what they do. you said, " Some things are just true, and that doesn't change if the truth hurts a little." well, that cuts both ways. being judgmental automatically increases the chances you will be wrong, as opposed to getting to know someone first before you judge them. i see people doing things that annoy me all the time. but i have to remind myself that A) i dont know a thing about them and B) i'm already a worse person than them for letting myself get bothered.

it doesn't totally fit the situation, but i always like to remind myself of what Richard Nixon famously said in the farewell address to his staff:

"Always remember, others may hate you, but those that hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself."

I do take into consideration that people do things without thinking about them much, that is what I'm talking about when I say "mindlessless follower", it's not necessarily much of a bad thing, although it can be in the wrong circumstances.

I repect your Italian v-neck tee shirt wearing tradition don marrrk. Although I must ask if a faded marinara stain is optional or mandatory.

So you didn't actually select the pink shirt in 1990, but it is still pretty amazing that you had one. Out of all the colors of shirts at Pine Valley why do you think your dad selected a pink one for you? Was it random? Men wear pink shirts and white belts for one main reason today, because it makes them stand out from the norm, and because they think they will get credit for being 'fashionable' by wearing it. Now what would motivate a person to want to get attention and be 'fashionable'? This is wear people become uncomfortable with the truth. I don't desire to make anyone feel bad but I am not going to pretend things that are true aren't true for their benefit either.

You should consider sunscreen for your neck.

With the judgemental thing, what you're saying has a nice sentiment, but I am like 15 steps ahead of you there. You see you are confusing being judgemental with making final prejudgements. There is nothing wrong with making judgements, as a matter of fact it's a great thing, and as humans it is impossible not to. However, there is something wrong with not being flexible in those judgements and unable to change your mind with new information, that is all you are talking about there. Which I of course agree with and have never said anything otherwise.

If you have never really thought about why you or other people like certain things like clothes in this case, then maybe you should if you want to have a well backed up confident argument on the matter. People wore wigs in the 18th century, like George Washington for example. Would you wear a long grey wig today? Would you have in 1785? Is that suitable golf attire on an upscale course?