2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Why is early round golf TV coverage so late?

RSchaffer29

3-6pm?!
I just don't get why the TV coverage starts at 3 pm and runs until 6 on the weekdays

by 3:00, 75% of the players have already completed their rounds

according to the tee time sheet, half of the players have tee times at or before 9:00 in the morning!

the coverage from USA usually just ends up being an interview talking to Arnold Palmer or stupid stuff like that because there is no action

what do you guys think?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to see that much coverage get a ticket! :lol: I'm sure it's really expensive to broadcast a golf tournament for 3 hours but to do it for 6 or 8 hours would be insane. From 3-6 gives everyone a chance to see something at least. Simp

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

If you want to see that much coverage get a ticket! :lol: I'm sure it's really expensive to broadcast a golf tournament for 3 hours but to do it for 6 or 8 hours would be insane. From 3-6 gives everyone a chance to see something at least. Simp

I agree

I just think they should do it maybe 11-2 or something instead

the same people that have work are gonna miss it no more than they already do

I just don't get why the TV coverage starts at 3 pm and runs until 6 on the weekdays

by 3:00, 75% of the players have already completed their rounds

according to the tee time sheet, half of the players have tee times at or before 9:00 in the morning!

the coverage from USA usually just ends up being an interview talking to Arnold Palmer or stupid stuff like that because there is no action

what do you guys think?

I think you take first and second round coverage of PGA golf tournaments way too seriously. :lol: :ok:

I usually tape the USA Network coverage and watch it when I get home. And there are plenty of groups out on the course from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. eastern time. For the first two rounds of a tournament a group is usually given an early tee time one day and an afternoon tee time the next or vice versa.

I do agree that it would be nice on the weekends to see some front 9 action. I can understand the timing and the cost factor but come on the advertisers are paying a ton of cash during an event, I'm sure there are more advertisers out there willing to fork over some bucks. Why wouldn't they? They just past those cost on to us as the final consumer.

I think the coverage stinks! I mean you rarely see any holes on the front 9 of these courses, especially during weekend coverage. Hopefully when the Golf Channel takes over broadcasts next year, they start with the first group on the first hole. Don't they know a lot of people have DVR's? :lol:

The objective of network TV golf coverage is to give its viewers the MOST EXCITING part of the tournament. Being that in most cases they only broadcast 3 to 4 hour max unless it's a major the most exciting part of a given tournament if there are several players in contention IS THE BACK NINE.

As far as starting with the first group on the first hole, why? On the weekend the first group out is at the bottom of the leaderboard.

Let's keep in mind that a television audience consist of not only the serious golf fan but also the casual viewer. So television broadcaster have to tailor that approach to broadcasting a tournament to the widest audience possible. So yes, some of what they do is going to irritate the more serios golf fan.

I think the coverage stinks! I mean you rarely see any holes on the front 9 of these courses, especially during weekend coverage. Hopefully when the Golf Channel takes over broadcasts next year, they start with the first group on the first hole. Don't they know a lot of people have DVR's? :lol:

The objective of network TV golf coverage is to give its viewers the MOST EXCITING part of the tournament. Being that in most cases they only broadcast 3 to 4 hour max unless it's a major the most exciting part of a given tournament if there are several players in contention IS THE BACK NINE.

As far as starting with the first group on the first hole, why? On the weekend the first group out is at the bottom of the leaderboard.

Let's keep in mind that a television audience consist of not only the serious golf fan but also the casual viewer. So television broadcaster have to tailor that approach to broadcasting a tournament to the widest audience possible. So yes, some of what they do is going to irritate the more serios golf fan.

So, if we take this approach with other sports, should they only show the 4th quarter of NFL or NBA games. That's when most games are in contention. How about starting NASCAR coverage halfway through the race? My point is other sports have coverage for the entire event that day. Golf is really the only sport/game that doesn't.

As far as the first hole, on the first day, it would be nice to see how the golfer reacts to hitting on that first tee when the cameras are on (like the Masters, or the Open).

Just my opinion...

I think the coverage stinks! I mean you rarely see any holes on the front 9 of these courses, especially during weekend coverage. Hopefully when the Golf Channel takes over broadcasts next year, they start with the first group on the first hole. Don't they know a lot of people have DVR's? :drinks:

So, if we take this approach with other sports, should they only show the 4th quarter of NFL or NBA games. That's when most games are in contention. How about starting NASCAR coverage halfway through the race? My point is other sports have coverage for the entire event that day. Golf is really the only sport/game that doesn't.

As far as the first hole, on the first day, it would be nice to see how the golfer reacts to hitting on that first tee when the cameras are on (like the Masters, or the Open).

Just my opinion...

It takes about 2 and half hours to televise an NBA game. It takes about 3 hours to televise most major league baseball games. It takes about 3 to 3 and half hours to telvise an NFL game. It would take about 5 hours to televise a around of golf from 1st tee to 18th hole. Not only is the time a lot longer but the pace of golf is much slower than the other sports mentioned. I seriously doubt you could hold any but the most serious golf fans to television coverage that long.