2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where to play (regularly, and a lot) in/near Baltimore

fronesis

Hi all,

I relocated to Baltimore last fall and I need to figure out my "golf paradigm" into the future. Trying to choose between city courses, county courses, and some of the private clubs currently offering deals.

For me, it's all about the golf. Ideally, I'd like to play 3-5 times per week during the summer and twice a week in the colder months. I'd also like good practice facilities, and I want to WALK, not ride. I'd also rather not have to drive further than I must, and I live near Roland Park.

The county courses are offering their membership deal at $2,300 weekday and $3,500 full. But at that price I'm also tempted by Waverly Woods and especially Piney Branch. Can you walk at Waverly Woods? Can anyone speak to the membership/course at Piney Branch. PB's yearly dues are LESS than the county courses deal, but obviously you have to pay the $3,500 initiation fee, so I'd want to know it was worth it long term. I've also looked into other local private clubs, but I don't think I'm comfortable paying more than $300/month in dues.

I'm a 5 handicap, hoping to go lower, and as I say, the most important thing for me is a good course, good access to it, and ideally the chance to play with some good players (I know no one that plays golf).

In insights are greatly appreciated!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Scully.

I'm very seriously considering the frequent player card. It's only $395, and I think you may be right that it's a better option than the rather high prices for annual play on the county courses. I'm tempted by the weekday annual play at $2300 because it will give me an incentive to play more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So, I just saw this thread going through some Mid Atlantic stuff. Sorry I didn't see it when it was active to chime in. What did you end up doing?

If it didn't work for you, I'd be happy to give some thoughts to you for next year. As I play pretty much every week in either Howard County, Baltimore County or very close.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Although it may be out of your running based on posts above...I believe you are allowed to walk at Waverly Woods, but I don't think you would want to. There are several points on the golf course where the distance between the green and next tee is quite excessive. That said, it is a great course, I really enjoy playing there, but wouldn't want to walk!

[quote name='ryanpalm' post='2018327' date='Oct 21 2009, 10:19 AM']Although it may be out of your running based on posts above...I believe you are allowed to walk at Waverly Woods, but I don't think you would want to. There are several points on the golf course where the distance between the green and next tee is quite excessive. That said, it is a great course, I really enjoy playing there, but wouldn't want to walk![/quote]
Ryan, Agreed 100 percent. You can walk, but I wouldn't call it walkable. Right off the top of my head to walks to holes 3, 5, 9, 10, 13, 16 and 18 are not to be taken lightly. I've played the course since the day it opened (literally) several times a year, and I can count on one hand the number of walkers I've seen.

But it is a great course, with fantastic practice areas and some of the best greens around.

Vokey

There are a ton of great courses in and around Baltimore -

There are the Muni's - Woodlands, Greystone (one of my favorites)

The corporate run - Whiskey Creek (Frederick), Queenstown River course (right over the bay bridge)

If you are looking for something in the city - Mt. Pleasant is probably the best public located in the city

I usually check out [url="http://www.TheLocalGolfer.com"]TheLocalGolfer.com[/url] - this website is usually right on especially around the Baltimore area.

Howard, I've played all those except for Ruggles. I've always been interested in what it is like. Based on your comments maybe I'll wait until the Spring.

That 3 round package from Bulle Rock is phenomenal. I am on their email list so I'll have to check it out to see if I got that one as well. $55 for Mountain Branch is a deal as well. That course can beat me up though. A very enjoyable course, but very challenging.

One good thing about this time of year is all the courses go into their winter rates and we can still get some decent weather. Like for example I heard Waverly Woods is having a special this weekend, "you pay the temperature at your tee time". With the temp right around 60 on Sunday, that would be a savings of like $25.

Vokey

• 2 weeks later...

I've never played at Rolling Road in Catonsville, but it looks to be a neat old course (Willie Park design) that is running a membership special 500-1000 initiation (depending on category) and reasonable dues + minimums. You have to wonder though, how long are clubs in similar situations going to survive?

[quote name='seamusthemick' post='2056429' date='Nov 10 2009, 02:37 PM']I've never played at Rolling Road in Catonsville, but it looks to be a neat old course (Willie Park design) that is running a membership special 500-1000 initiation (depending on category) and reasonable dues + minimums. You have to wonder though, how long are clubs in similar situations going to survive?[/quote]
I've never played it either. But it is located halfway between work and home for me. It might be worth checking into that special. Thanks for posting the info about it. I know nothing of the course other than where it's located.

Vokey

Howard, congrats on the retirement and the effort to stay fit and enjoy it. I've got several years to go before I can do that. However, a good friend of mine just retired this past year from UPS at 51 after 30 years. He's playing every chance he gets. He's not a member on this board but on others.

I'll keep an eye out for your postings and see about getting up your way for a round with you next year, or hell maybe even during the winter on one of those surprisingly nice days. I may not be as bad as your friend with the weather, if it's not windy and the sun is out, I'll play in the 40's. But once it gets cloudy and windy even the 50's can be brutal.

Vokey

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I see that this thread lived on - thanks to all for the helpful discussion.

I now find myself right back where I was a year ago. Last year I ended up playing a mix of city and county munis (mainly Mt. Pleasant, Pine Ridge, and Diamond Ridge) for the first part of the summer. In July I drove out to Colorado and played every day at a course in my home town. This summer I probably won't have that option.

Piney Point has lowered their initiation fee even more, but it does make you wonder about the overall financial situation of the place. It's also about a 35 mile drive, and for me that seriously detracts. The County deal is back again, but $2500 is a lot for weekday golf. In addition, their frequent player card doesn't save you very much right now.

So once again I'm not sure there are any easy options. Part of my problem as well is that none of my friends or work colleagues play golf, so I'm looking for a place to play and people to play with.

Thanks again to those who responded, and if folks have fresh thoughts for 2010, I'd love to hear them!

cheers,

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

[quote name='fronesis' timestamp='1269452426' post='2337972']
Hi all,

I see that this thread lived on - thanks to all for the helpful discussion.

I now find myself right back where I was a year ago. Last year I ended up playing a mix of city and county munis (mainly Mt. Pleasant, Pine Ridge, and Diamond Ridge) for the first part of the summer. In July I drove out to Colorado and played every day at a course in my home town. This summer I probably won't have that option.

Piney Point has lowered their initiation fee even more, but it does make you wonder about the overall financial situation of the place. It's also about a 35 mile drive, and for me that seriously detracts. The County deal is back again, but $2500 is a lot for weekday golf. In addition, their frequent player card doesn't save you very much right now.

So once again I'm not sure there are any easy options. Part of my problem as well is that none of my friends or work colleagues play golf, so I'm looking for a place to play and people to play with.

Thanks again to those who responded, and if folks have fresh thoughts for 2010, I'd love to hear them!

cheers,
[/quote]

Very late to the party, but did you ever consider Maryland Golf & CC in Bel Air, MD. Only about 30-40 minutes from Baltimore. Difficult but fair course, always kept in great condition (best in the area, outside of Bulle Rock, in my opinion). It's not a great course for walking (lots of hills), but if you're willing they won't stop you. Joined on a Junior membership a few years ago, but from what I've heard you can still get some pretty decent deals. Far better course and amenities than Winter's Run, and not that much more expensive.

have you thought about turf valley (private) ? 2 courses on the property and they might have some decent deals. haven't played there but haven't heard anything bad.

waverly woods isn't bad, grass range, with a decent layout. but as mentioned before it might be a difficult to walk as some of the holes are a bit far apart. there isn't much of a clubhouse, more like one big room with a bar at one end and a proshop at the other.

rolling road (private) isn't bad for the price, no practice facility, but they give you a discount at the range near the airport. the clubhouse is nice and the members are all pretty cool.

there are a few other ones in the area, timbers of troy comes to mind (public), just because they are the only course i've come across that charges a lower price if you walk rather than take a cart.

• 2 weeks later...

I know a couple people who have joined country club of maryland in Towson. They like it. It's like $6000 up front with monthly fees of $500 or so.

If you're looking for someone to play with, message me.

I usually play once during the week, and every weekend. We have a few regulars (2-5) and we play Clifton/Mt. Pleasant/Pine Ridge a lot. We also play Diamond Ridge/Woodlands/Waverly/Patuxent/Cross Creek/Timbers. We always have some small stakes money game going. I'm about a 7. We have guys who are 10-20 HDCP (unofficial); we play pretty quickly, and we play by the rules. We're all 30-50 in age, drink some, smoke cigars some.

Right now, I have tournaments 2 of the next 3 weekends, and already have something lined up for the 21st, but message me (we might need a 4th that day).

I'm also pretty close to Roland Park.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

• 2 years later...

Nancy Lopez won her second professional tournament at Pine Ridge Golf Course in Lutherville, one of greater Baltimore's superior munis -- one of a pretty large handful. Tucked around a reservoir, it's a tranquil course with some lovely water holes. Don’t hit it in the woods, or you might disturb the deer. Bosley Crowther, long-time New York Times Film Critic, whose career came to an abrupt end after panning Bonnie & Clyde, is a native.

Does the $2300 weekday include a cart or is that extra? I'm in Montgomery County and I pay $1000 for an annual weekday membership that gives me 9 county courses plus 2 executive 9 holers but I pay extra for a cart. All but 2 of them are walkable. It used to be if you got a membership at Waverly Woods that also gave you privileges at Blue Mash (another nice Arthur Hills course that is walkable). You can also investigate the Tee Time Golf Pass book that has tons of discount rates for courses in the mid Atlantic.

Edit: forget this - I just noticed the original post is 6 years old.