Garmin G5

I just received my Gamin today from Dick's online. I'm already impressed with it just messing with it in my house. I can't go golfing for a few more weeks due to surgery and I'll give a on course review then.

Once I turned it on, it took a few minutes to find where I was. Once it did, I hit nearby course and it listed al the courses near me with how many miles they are from me very quick. So I did a preview of some of them. The holes are basically the same as whats on your scorecard. It shows the important hazards and doglegs with distances. If you want to find a certain distance, just put your finger where and it shows the distance from the tee to there and from there to the green. And if you slide your finger up or down it changes to where your touching the screen. So if there was a tree of something thats not on the G5, you can just touch on the screen about where that tree or hazard is, and you got the yardage. Very very simple to use. I can't wait to get it out on a course.

Also I didn't see any problems with jumping on the touchscreen. Was also surprised to find out that it was already up to date with all the new courses. I know there will be an update in June for more courses.

The only thing I wouldn't do is buy it from Dick's online. I was told I could buy the protection plan for it but not online. To take it to the store and buy the plan. Got it, went to the store to find out they can't do it. Called Dick's again to find out they aren't offering a protection plan for this unit. I just like to be safe and get those protection plans. It's the third time i've had a problem with them and give up with them.

Anyways a great unit so far and I will give a on course review when I can play.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my only complaint is battery life. They advertise 15 and with alkaline I get 10, with 3000maH NiMH Im getting 6 or so.

I don't own a G5, but I may be able to help you with batteries. Try rechargeable Sanyo EneLoops. These batteries made a HUGE difference in my digital camera over alkaline and may work well in the G5. You should be able to get a 4 pack w/charger for ~$20. Check out the reviews at Amazon.

my only complaint is battery life. They advertise 15 and with alkaline I get 10, with 3000maH NiMH Im getting 6 or so.

I don't own a G5, but I may be able to help you with batteries. Try rechargeable Sanyo EneLoops. These batteries made a HUGE difference in my digital camera over alkaline and may work well in the G5. You should be able to get a 4 pack w/charger for ~$20. Check out the reviews at Amazon.

I'm going to check that out. I'm using the energizer recharge ones and I'll see how they make out. But I will check the Sanyo ones.

Thanks, Ill give them a shot!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just picked up a G5 and I'm absolutely impressed! For the record, I've had uPro and Sonocaddie V300.

My biased review...

This unit is just a little heaver than the others, but is built like a tank. The V300 is pretty rugged, but IMO the G5 makes it feel/look cheaply made. Very simple and straight forward design with one button to turn the unit on or off. The power button also functions as a screen lock.

Reading online reviews, one of the knocks was the ability to be precise with the touch screen when picking out unmapped locations (layups, trees...). For the record, I have very large hands (easily palm a basketball) and I do not have problem being precise. The reason why... because you are not selecting a static point (e.g. have one chance to pick the spot). Once you engage the screen, you dynamically move the cursor around. So touch and even it it's a quarter inch off just move the cursor to the spot you want. To be honest, its was actually easier to pick a spot because the cursor wasn't right under my finger (obstructed).

There is also a knock on batteries not lasting long. I actually like that it uses AA batteries. My experience with dedicated batteries is that they start to loose their ability to hold maximum charge in somewhat of a short timeframe. Those dedicated batteries are expensive to replace. I found a value pack of the Sanyo rechargables on Amazon for $28, that included 8 AA, 2 AAA, I think some C and Ds and a charger.

The only real gripe I've read online is about the number of courses mapped. More are coming and I think this unit will be at the top of the GPS list. It was really the only grading area that has kept it from being #1, IMO.

My last comment is about general usability. This thing is just straight forward to use. My guess is that with Garmin's experience with other GPS units (Automotive...) is that they understand user interfaces and the importance of easy of use. You want the right data at the right time, fiddling with finding it is distracting and sometimes harmful. While fiddling with buttons when playing golf isn't going to get you killed, it is super annoying for me. If you're considering this unit, I think you'll be really happy with the purchase.

[quote name='IndyIN' post='1967420' date='Sep 23 2009, 10:38 AM']Just picked up a G5 and I'm absolutely impressed! For the record, I've had uPro and Sonocaddie V300.

My biased review...

This unit is just a little heaver than the others, but is built like a tank. The V300 is pretty rugged, but IMO the G5 makes it feel/look cheaply made. Very simple and straight forward design with one button to turn the unit on or off. The power button also functions as a screen lock.

Reading online reviews, one of the knocks was the ability to be precise with the touch screen when picking out unmapped locations (layups, trees...). For the record, I have very large hands (easily palm a basketball) and I do not have problem being precise. The reason why... because you are not selecting a static point (e.g. have one chance to pick the spot). Once you engage the screen, you dynamically move the cursor around. So touch and even it it's a quarter inch off just move the cursor to the spot you want. To be honest, its was actually easier to pick a spot because the cursor wasn't right under my finger (obstructed).

There is also a knock on batteries not lasting long. I actually like that it uses AA batteries. My experience with dedicated batteries is that they start to loose their ability to hold maximum charge in somewhat of a short timeframe. Those dedicated batteries are expensive to replace. I found a value pack of the Sanyo rechargables on Amazon for $28, that included 8 AA, 2 AAA, I think some C and Ds and a charger.

The only real gripe I've read online is about the number of courses mapped. More are coming and I think this unit will be at the top of the GPS list. It was really the only grading area that has kept it from being #1, IMO.

My last comment is about general usability. This thing is just straight forward to use. My guess is that with Garmin's experience with other GPS units (Automotive...) is that they understand user interfaces and the importance of easy of use. You want the right data at the right time, fiddling with finding it is distracting and sometimes harmful. While fiddling with buttons when playing golf isn't going to get you killed, it is super annoying for me. If you're considering this unit, I think you'll be really happy with the purchase.[/quote]

+1 I have been using mine all summer and love it more and more. Used it in the rain, dropped it, ETC. and it keeps ticking. I also found that it is more accurate and faster to get yardages then alot of the other units. The group I play with has alot of different ones and most of them they have to stand at the tee box till it finds the correct distance. This unit is right on right away. Also some of the other units i've seen have signal problems slowing them down when it's cloudy or the tee boxes are under trees. Great write up on this unit!!

• 1 year later...

I just received my G5 today and I admit I am more impressed than I thought I would be. Have not had a chance to play a round with it yet but the UI and the features are top notch. The device is (I think) the same platform as the Garmin Oregon 550 and those hiking devices are made to be tough - and so is the G5. Yes it is biggish but I have also bought a push cart mount since I never really carry it anyway.

The only complaint I have so far is the stats tracking capability. It all looks pretty cool when you track the stats (score, putts, FWH, GIR) and it is highly intuitive. But the review on the device only summarizes the putts, FWH and GIR and you no longer get a hole based review :-( And when you connect via PC to the scorecard file, you don't even see the FWH, GIR and Putts. Kinda defeats the purpose of the stats a bit in my opinion and I will send a suggestion to Garmin abotu potential improvements and hope they listen :-)

But, this is a great device - some feedback from reviews said it is hard to see in bright light - not for me, Hard to see for small screen text - I am a bit close up challenged now and found no such issues. The garmin dashboard (via garmin.com) does a great job for advising if you are up to date for firmware, maps etc. I have had a few GPS devices so far and this one, assuming good on course performance, is by far my favourite.

Highly recommended!

[quote name='taskerc' timestamp='1289237279' post='2780201']
I just received my G5 today and I admit I am more impressed than I thought I would be. Have not had a chance to play a round with it yet but the UI and the features are top notch. The device is (I think) the same platform as the Garmin Oregon 550 and those hiking devices are made to be tough - and so is the G5. Yes it is biggish but I have also bought a push cart mount since I never really carry it anyway.

The only complaint I have so far is the stats tracking capability. It all looks pretty cool when you track the stats (score, putts, FWH, GIR) and it is highly intuitive. But the review on the device only summarizes the putts, FWH and GIR and you no longer get a hole based review :-( And when you connect via PC to the scorecard file, you don't even see the FWH, GIR and Putts. Kinda defeats the purpose of the stats a bit in my opinion and I will send a suggestion to Garmin abotu potential improvements and hope they listen :-)

But, this is a great device - some feedback from reviews said it is hard to see in bright light - not for me, Hard to see for small screen text - I am a bit close up challenged now and found no such issues. The garmin dashboard (via garmin.com) does a great job for advising if you are up to date for firmware, maps etc. I have had a few GPS devices so far and this one, assuming good on course performance, is by far my favourite.

Highly recommended!
[/quote]

I agree. The G5 is a very good unit, but be careful of the "Dashboard". I had a situation where one screen was showing an update available that I hadn't yet downloaded and "My Dashboard" was telling me that my maps and software were up to date and that there were no updates available.

And when you connect via PC to the scorecard file, you don't even see the FWH, GIR and Putts. Kinda defeats the purpose of the stats a bit in my opinion and I will send a suggestion to Garmin abotu potential improvements and hope they listen :-)

[/quote]

You sure as mine does. Are you running 3.5 for the software version? When I view my rounds using ScorecardViewer that I kept score with stats they are displayed in the card. Here is what it reported on my last round.

Ray: 10 out of 14 fairways hit, 12 greens hit in regulation, and 39 total putts

[quote name='ijuswanagolf ' timestamp='1289269755' post='2781311']
And when you connect via PC to the scorecard file, you don't even see the FWH, GIR and Putts. Kinda defeats the purpose of the stats a bit in my opinion and I will send a suggestion to Garmin abotu potential improvements and hope they listen :-)

[/quote]

You sure as mine does. Are you running 3.5 for the software version? When I view my rounds using ScorecardViewer that I kept score with stats they are displayed in the card. Here is what it reported on my last round.

[/quote]

Yes - I am sure :-) But I will look at software update - although I did download latest and greatest ..... Thanks - this is good to know.

[quote name='taskerc' timestamp='1289301777' post='2781789']
[quote name='ijuswanagolf ' timestamp='1289269755' post='2781311']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes - I am sure :-) But I will look at software update - although I did download latest and greatest ..... Thanks - this is good to know.

[/quote]

Weird - I have checked and I DO have SW version 3.5. So did a dummy round and selected additional stats. Entered all scores and stats and quit game. Then synched it up and went to view the card and all I got were scores.

What did I do wrong?

[quote name='taskerc' timestamp='1289398452' post='2783692']
Weird - I have checked and I DO have SW version 3.5. So did a dummy round and selected additional stats. Entered all scores and stats and quit game. Then synched it up and went to view the card and all I got were scores.

What did I do wrong?
[/quote]

Did you view the scorecard with the Scordcardviewer.html that is in the root directory of the G5? If so I do not know what might be wrong as I am new to the G5 and that is how mine is working. Can you view the stats on the device?

[quote name='ijuswanagolf ' timestamp='1289425340' post='2784417']
[quote name='taskerc' timestamp='1289398452' post='2783692']

What did I do wrong?
[/quote]

Did you view the scorecard with the Scordcardviewer.html that is in the root directory of the G5? If so I do not know what might be wrong as I am new to the G5 and that is how mine is working. Can you view the stats on the device?
[/quote]

Yes, that is what I access - the Scordcardviewer.html on root g:. I can see the stats on the device without issue and I have seen they are in the actual xml file that sits behind the Scordcardviewer.html. So it seems like the rendering of Scordcardviewer.html is somehow not working correctly.

And to make it more confusing, I sent a question to Garmin on it - here is what I sent:

[size="2"]Message: [b]Hi - when I view the scorecardviewer.html file I get scores and pars but no stats (putts, FW hit, GIR) etc. But I did look in the xml file and the stats are in there. How can I get the stats to appear on the scorecardviewer.html?[/b][/size]

And here is what I got in reply: [size="2"][b]Thank you for contacting Garmin International. This is a current limitation of this device.
[/b][/size][size="2"][b]I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.[/b][/size]

So apparently it doesn't work and you guys are mistaken :-) Just kidding of course but I got a chuckle from that one.

Well, whatever, I can pull down the XMLs and hang an excel file from there that grabs the XMLS. Hmmm, actually this method could also be used to accumulate, average, whatever, which is not a current feature either. Just a but bummed that it does not work as I had hoped.

And I did do a full reinstall of SW version 3.5 with no success.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Since the title of this post is Garmin G-5, I thought I'd provide a YouTube video advising not to buy. I'm not nearly as concerned about the videographer's disappointment with the G-5 as I was with the actual screen shot. The hole looks like a "matchstick"; I'd have to use my close-up glasses just to see ANYTHING on it.

[quote name='FairwaySheriff' timestamp='1289697784' post='2789108']
[quote name='milfordj' timestamp='1289603006' post='2787618']
[b][size="2"]Since the title of this post is Garmin G-5, I thought I'd provide a YouTube video advising not to buy.[/size][/b] I'm not nearly as concerned about the videographer's disappointment with the G-5 as I was with the actual screen shot. The hole looks like a "matchstick"; I'd have to use my close-up glasses just to see ANYTHING on it.
[/quote]

[size="4"]Where's the video your providing? With one of the largest display screens available & a zoom feature, I would like to see this "matchstick" you mentioned. Post the link.
[/size]
[/quote]

I tried to post it -- apparently not permitted. Just go to YouTube video and search for golf gps; it's a very recent post.

[quote name='milfordj' timestamp='1289772675' post='2790254']
[quote name='FairwaySheriff' timestamp='1289697784' post='2789108']
[quote name='milfordj' timestamp='1289603006' post='2787618']
[b][size="2"]Since the title of this post is Garmin G-5, I thought I'd provide a YouTube video advising not to buy.[/size][/b] I'm not nearly as concerned about the videographer's disappointment with the G-5 as I was with the actual screen shot. The hole looks like a "matchstick"; I'd have to use my close-up glasses just to see ANYTHING on it.
[/quote]

[size="4"]Where's the video your providing? With one of the largest display screens available & a zoom feature, I would like to see this "matchstick" you mentioned. Post the link.
[/size]
[/quote]

I tried to post it -- apparently not permitted. Just go to YouTube video and search for golf gps; it's a very recent post.
[/quote]

As the guy who started the thread about readability by the visually challenged as I need readers for up close I feel quite on top of this subject since I ended up with the G5.

I am quite happy with this unit as I can read it just fine. I'm not sure what more needs to be said. If you REALLY can't see worth #%*@ you can use the zoom function. If you can't read that then you should pass on a gps and get a laser instead.

SLDR 430 TP, 9*
SLDR, 15*
Adams Pro Black 9031, 20*
Mizuno MP68
Mizuno MP T4 wedges
"Cheater" 49" Odyssey 7

Can somebody in the know please inform us of the latest software and map updates, I have version 3.5, GPS 3.4 and maps 2.80; is this up to date? Thanks...BB :)

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[quote name='FairwaySheriff' timestamp='1289875654' post='2792372']
[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1289871351' post='2792224']
I just updated my software and maps today so I'm guessing yes...BB
[/quote]

[size="4"]Plugged the unit in today after reading BB's post & the software version has been updated from 3.4 to 3.5. No updates for the GPS software version or maps. Thanks BB for bring this to everyone's attention.
[/size]
[/quote]

This is my main gripe with Garmin. I just plugged in my G5 and it shows I have 3.5, 3.4 and 2.80, but it also tells me that my software and maps are up to date and no downloads are available. I also signed up for email alerts, but have not gotten one about a software update to 3.5. I never know if I have the most current maps and software and Garmin doesn't seem to be capable of getting the word out. I shouldn't have to go to a forum to get this information!!!!!

[quote name='bogeys-R-us' timestamp='1289881879' post='2792572']
[quote name='FairwaySheriff' timestamp='1289875654' post='2792372']
[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1289871351' post='2792224']
I just updated my software and maps today so I'm guessing yes...BB
[/quote]

[size="4"]Plugged the unit in today after reading BB's post & the software version has been updated from 3.4 to 3.5. No updates for the GPS software version or maps. Thanks BB for bring this to everyone's attention.
[/size]
[/quote]

This is my main gripe with Garmin. I just plugged in my G5 and it shows I have 3.5, 3.4 and 2.80, but it also tells me that my software and maps are up to date and no downloads are available. I also signed up for email alerts, but have not gotten one about a software update to 3.5. I never know if I have the most current maps and software and Garmin doesn't seem to be capable of getting the word out. I shouldn't have to go to a forum to get this information!!!!!
[/quote]

After several email exchanges with Garmin I requested that a supervisor contact me which he did and I discussed updates with him. First off you need to use WebUpdater to get the software and I am sure everyone is doing this. As a long time Garmin auto GPS user I get my map updates through MyGarmin website. Interesting it not only shows our two auto GPS's it shows the G5 too (most likely from the registration). It does not however work at all like the auto map update. He informed me that at some point in the future they will use MyGarmin to update maps but it does not use that function like the auto GPS's at this time. So the only way to get the maps is from the G5 page and look at the date release on the map. I have a problem with this this also because they do not use common terminology from the device or the website. The devise shows a map release such as 2.80 and the website shows a part number such as 010-00697-31, you never know if they match or are new. I totally agree that we should not have to rely on a forum for new information. Please do what I did and call them and b**** about it. They have a quality product slightly tainted by non caring web designers.