rangefinder or gps device opinions??

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have and use both - my Sonocaddie V300 GPS is great from the tee on longer par 4 and par 5's - especially dogleg holes, where a laser range finder is worthless if you want to cut corners on your drive.

I also like the GPS function in foggy and rainy conditions, where the laser range finder is harder to use - and I keep my score in the built in elctronic scorecard on my Sonocaddie V300 color GPS.

My Callaway Nikon LR800 laser rangefinder is great for everything under 175 yards and in. It's more precise than the GPS and gives EXACT distances to the pin, which I need in my game from 175 yards and in.

I also like to use my laser range finder, when I'm on the driving range to pin point distances to a certain taget, which I aim at.

All in all - it's hard to say, which one i prefer - as both have their strong and weak points.

This is why I searched deep in my pockets and bought both :pimp:

I did consider getting the stronger 7X magnification Callaway Nikon LR1200 model, but as I normally use my GPS from everything over 200 yards, as the laser gets harder to hold still at these distances, I decided to go for the smaller and less bulky 6X Magnification LR800 model. Haven't I also bought the GPS, I would have opted for the LR1200 model for sure.

I think you have to decide what your needs are. If you have to know exact yardage then a rangefinder is your best option. If your not worried about a few yards + or - then a gps is the way to go. If you are not a computer person and might have trouble downloading new courses etc. then rangefinder might be for you. If you play a lot of courses that have blind shots into the green then a GPS is the way to go. If you do not have steady hands or play where its really windy then a gps might be the way to go.

I went with GPS because I am in to new technology and I am not worried about something being a couple of yards off. Although I have played with a few people that have range finders and my GPS was right on the yardage they were getting. I just need a quick idea of what the yardage is without looking for spinkler heads. I love my Upro GPS and highly recomend it.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

I've used GPS and laser devices extensively. I ended up being a laser guy because my No. 1 requirement was accurate yardages to the pin from inside 120 yards. You only get that from laser. And I found the ability to measure a distance to just about anything you could see (a laser capability) to mostly outweigh the ability to measure pre-defined yardages to things you can't see (a GPS capability).

I did a lot of experiments with GPS and found that, generally speaking, it is good to 5 yards or so. But every once in a while (not very often) you will get a reading that is 10 or more yards off. I was always wondering 'is this a bad reading" and was always looking for verification. I found that irritating, but not really a deal breaker.

dave

like they say, this is a pretty common topic...

at a high level when explaining to others i tell them that laser is great for the best accuracy (as long as there isn't rain or fog) to targets you can *see*, and there are no additional charges.

gps is great for being able to get distances to any point on the course (regardless of whether you can see it or not), plus a lot of the latest devices have course maps. the *big* downside is the possibility that the mapping is wrong, and the distances can be off (from a little to a lot). other smaller downside is that you dont know the exact distance to a pin (though you can usually guess with the green views available with most higher end gps devices). some gps units charge per course, some not.

in addition to the laser link above here are some others

http://criticalgolf.com/laser-rangefinder-...r-rangefinders/

http://golf.suite101.com/article.cfm/optic...nder_versus_gps

http://www.scribd.com/doc/4351071/Golf-GPS...er-Buyers-Guide

One thing I think you should also consider is how well you play golf. Even if the rangefinder and GPS tells you the distance and you can't hit it the distance you expect to hit or where you want to hit it, then both of these are useless.

On the other hand, I have both the Leupold GXII Range finder and uPro GPS device. I lean more on the uPro which I find the accuracy as strong as the Leupold.

In terms of speed on getting a reading, the uPro is better in my opinion. Putting the range finder in your eye, steadying it, and then pressing the button just takes to much time for me, especially when people are waiting for me. With the GPS rangefinder, I pull it out of my pocket, read the reading, and then pick the club. Done..

So, the things I mentioned are things that you should really consider. All the features and comparisons in the world is what you'll find in this forum and other sites, but actual practical use, well, you need to keep in mind.

I've used both but admit to being biased to the GPS (always been a "techie/gadget" person). With the advances in technology, I think they are more accurate and, more importantly, more consistent than many people give them credit for.

The pros obviously have pretty exact yardages for all their shots but not even the best of them can consistently hit the ball within 15 feet of the hole (that's +/- 5 yards) with their abilities so if a GPS is "off" 2-3 yards that is no big deal to me. For navigating hazards or using it for lay up yardages I am going to take a lot more cushion than that. As far as exact distances to the pin, I think most golfers would actually score better if they were not fixated on the pin but played to the middle of the greens, giving themselves the greatest margin for error. On the vast majority of courses you can never be too far from the pin if you are in the center of the green.

Many say they want exact yardages for their short games, especially within 100 yards or so but I would tend to think that most who do are more "mechanically" inclined players (Pelz devotees??) and I have always felt the best short game players are those who play with imagination and by "feel".

Both have their advantages and disadvantages and both technologies have their place. To outright dismiss one or the other is wrong in my opinion.

I use a skycaddie and think it's great. What I really like the most about it is getting readings to front, center and back of the green from the line I am facing. Although I am a pretty good golfer, my game is not so exact that I need precise yardage to the pin. What I really like knowing, for instance, is if there is a back pin, what is the yardage to the back edge of the green. That way I can pick a club that won't go over the green. I also like to know yardages to the front of the green, or yardage to carry a bunker.

Both laser and GPS are great tools for eliminating guesswork, and searching for sprinkler heads. You won't be dissapointed either way.

Just buy a quality piece whether you decide laser rangefinder or GPS. You can find better quality laser rangefinders for good prices. I'm not especially pleased about the selection, overall quality and features per unit, or maker options of basic- and mid-range GPS units right now.

My advice though is to consider how and where you play golf. If it's 90% or more from the same course or courses you know very well, go rangefinder. If you tend to miss the fairways by a significant distance left or right or you tend try lots of unfamiliar courses, go GPS.

When I need to trust a yardage, I always go with my laser rangefinder. I'll buy a GPS when some of the nicer unit prices come down.

Lasers are awesome don't get me wrong. I have the Leupold GX2 as stated before and I love it. But another example of practical use.

There was a situation for me where I was roughly around 100 yards or so from the front of a small lake which I need to carry over approximately 150 yards. However, I was in the rough with a bad bad lie and couldn't really see the front of the lake. Actually I was over a small hump of a hill.

Now of course, I could've walked on top the hill and used my range finder, however, with my GPS, I actually saw on my uPro the lake and knew exactly that from where I was standing, I need at least 150 to carry over but instead I decided to lay it up. I took out my pitching wedge and I landed literally right at the edge of the lake. Exactly where I wanted to be.

The point in this is that without the necessary line of sight with the Rangefinder, I was able to make quick decisions and save a few steps. LOL. Yes lazy but the advantage of the GPS.

Not to promote uPro (although I think it's the best GPS), with the ProMode View, I was able to see exactly where I was, this is something the rangefinder and the rest of the GPS devices can't do.

Laser rangefinders are best suited for golf. The GPS technology is best suited for "locating things" not "measuring things". Laser is better! Check out this web site www.laserisbetter.com more than anyone needs to know about electronic measuring devices for golf!

Which Laser Range Finder company do you work for again? You're out here with all of your 18 posts focused on pushing a laser agenda - this is kind of comical

• 2 weeks later...