2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jody Vasquez on Hogan's "Secret"

JD3

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1337524955' post='4945724']
[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1337514339' post='4945224']
For anyone who is interested (and not many appear to be ;-)) I went to range today to further work on this 'move' - I live in
Bangkok btw hence the time difference.

By focusing on this right leg initiated weight shift from the top of the backswing I probably had my best ball-striking day ever............ not in the sense that I was in the zone 100%, but when I got the movements right I absolutely pure'd it.

This move obviously had to be done in conjunction with a few other swing keys but it really could be the missing piece for me. Important swing thoughts were:

-backswing into a very very braced right leg
- then simultaneously shifting hips forwards from the right instep (and running the knee aggressively for more power) and creating a slight lay-off move as shown here here [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3cxjrpCIYs"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=c3cxjrpCIYs[/url]
- the more I feel that the arms are given a slight 'free ride' to impact the better

When hitting my 1989 Maruman 3 iron blade today my pure strikes were around 220-230 yards........ Towards the end of the session I was carving 2 out of 3 like this (with a slight loss in distance coming if I tried to power with my upper body too much). The more and more grooved this became the more unbelievable it felt. Honestly I believe that with a bit more practice and confidence I could step on one and push it out to 240 yards which would be absolutely prodigious for me........ it certainly felt like I left something in the tank.
[/quote]

Hey nicebutdim,

you got any vids of you hitting that 3 iron blade? Or any other swing vids of you? Interested in how your swing translates from your mental views to physical movement.
[/quote]

Hi mate,

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment needed for a video. Last time I had video of my swing was many years ago from a one-off lesson. I'll see if I can sort something out in the near future.

No doubt my mental views are a lot better than what I'm actually doing!!

In truth I've been working a lot this past year on developing an awareness of my swing in order to facilitate improvement. So in this regard I'm a totally different player to what I was....... actually my number 1 tip to hackers like myself is to develop keen awareness of what you're doing if you want to improve, something I lacked big time which made bashing balls almost a pointless exercise. So despite analyzing tons of videos of others I haven't felt the need to analyze video of myself yet as my process has been working....... that might change though!

All I know is that today I got some very different feelings and sensations. My set-up and backswing position was exactly what I wanted and I achieved the Hogan T follow-thru which was a great joy for me........ I also had the arm sensation of 'coming along for the ride' in the downswing and the momentum of the arms pulling everything up into the finish after impact.......... very unique feelings for a guy that used to be an OTT swinger a few years ago.

The strange thing about the 3 iron is that I've practiced on the range with this particular club for a year, almost exclusively at times, and I don't find it intimidating to hit........ actually I feel totally calm with it in my hands and look at shorter irons with more trepidation. I love everything about the 3 iron now (weight, length) and even before today I could step up and flush 5 in a row if I concentrated on my rhythm. Its just I was doing it very differently today and it felt laser accurate, controllable, and with different power gears.......

Anyway still lots to work on! I want to point out that by no means do I think I've cracked the swing...... just that I've made huge progress for me, that I personally have found Jody Vasquez's 'secret' to have real merit, and that Hogan's fundamentals might finally power my own swing.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1337537900' post='4946458']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1337524955' post='4945724']
For anyone who is interested (and not many appear to be ;-)) I went to range today to further work on this 'move' - I live in

By focusing on this right leg initiated weight shift from the top of the backswing I probably had my best ball-striking day ever............ not in the sense that I was in the zone 100%, but when I got the movements right I absolutely pure'd it.

This move obviously had to be done in conjunction with a few other swing keys but it really could be the missing piece for me. Important swing thoughts were:

- then simultaneously shifting hips forwards from the right instep (and running the knee aggressively for more power) and creating a slight lay-off move as shown here here [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3cxjrpCIYs"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=c3cxjrpCIYs[/url]
- the more I feel that the arms are given a slight 'free ride' to impact the better

When hitting my 1989 Maruman 3 iron blade today my pure strikes were around 220-230 yards........ Towards the end of the session I was carving 2 out of 3 like this (with a slight loss in distance coming if I tried to power with my upper body too much). The more and more grooved this became the more unbelievable it felt. Honestly I believe that with a bit more practice and confidence I could step on one and push it out to 240 yards which would be absolutely prodigious for me........ it certainly felt like I left something in the tank.
[/quote]

Hey nicebutdim,

you got any vids of you hitting that 3 iron blade? Or any other swing vids of you? Interested in how your swing translates from your mental views to physical movement.
[/quote]

Hi mate,

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment needed for a video. Last time I had video of my swing was many years ago from a one-off lesson. I'll see if I can sort something out in the near future.

In truth I've been working a lot this past year on developing an awareness of my swing in order to facilitate improvement. So in this regard I'm a totally different player to what I was....... actually my number 1 tip to hackers like myself is to develop keen awareness of what you're doing if you want to improve, something I lacked big time which made bashing balls almost a pointless exercise. So despite analyzing tons of videos of others I haven't felt the need to analyze video of myself yet as my process has been working....... that might change though!

All I know is that today I got some very different feelings and sensations. My set-up and backswing position was exactly what I wanted and I achieved the Hogan T follow-thru which was a great joy for me........ I also had the arm sensation of 'coming along for the ride' in the downswing and the momentum of the arms pulling everything up into the finish after impact.......... very unique feelings for a guy that used to be an OTT swinger a few years ago.

The strange thing about the 3 iron is that I've practiced on the range with this particular club for a year, almost exclusively at times, and I don't find it intimidating to hit........ actually I feel totally calm with it in my hands and look at shorter irons with more trepidation. I love everything about the 3 iron now (weight, length) and even before today I could step up and flush 5 in a row if I concentrated on my rhythm. Its just I was doing it very differently today and it felt laser accurate, controllable, and with different power gears.......

Anyway still lots to work on! I want to point out that by no means do I think I've cracked the swing...... just that I've made huge progress for me, that I personally have found Jody Vasquez's 'secret' to have real merit, and that Hogan's fundamentals might finally power my own swing.
[/quote]

Why not just keep the R knee pointed in at Address, maintain the angle of the R leg from R foot to R hip all the way to the top, then just move the L hip backwards-outwards towards the South-West?

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1337577220' post='4949268']
[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1337537900' post='4946458']

[/quote]

Hi mate,

[/quote]

Why not just keep the R knee pointed in at Address, maintain the angle of the R leg from R foot to R hip all the way to the top, then just move the L hip backwards-outwards towards the South-West?
[/quote]

Hi Hogangolf101,

I am a million miles away from being an expert on biomechanics........ I really work by trial and error and logic, but I'll give you my two cents worth and hopefully other more knowledgeable forum members can contribute.

What you've just describe was one of my previous thoughts on the transition. However for a number of reasons this left hip led movement just didn't click for me........... it just didn't seem efficient or precise enough especially for a perfectionist like Hogan.

If you set up in the classic Hogan address positon of right leg squared and left leg flaired, then wind up to the top of the backswing with tremendous pressure built up on the right leg, it seems terribly inefficient and unnatural to just expend this energy by shifting the left hip and thus prematurely releasing the tension. This energy needs to be TRANSFERED somehow.

Two experiments..........

[u]1[/u]
I'm not American so I hope this is accurate for you (it certainly is for cricket!), but stand up and mimic a powerful side arm throw like a baseball player. You will wind up on your back leg creating tremendous tension and stored energy, with you're front leg lifted ready for the forward transfer............ when this comes just pay special attention to what your legs and hips do when the arm is whipped through............ interesting isn't it? you should push off aggressively from the right side, plant the left leg, and keep driving through from the right (you'll feel yourself hanging back) until the left hip clears, with the head almost staring down the line of the arm. This leads to tremendous power and, importantly, accuracy.

For me what you originally described would be the equivalent of storing all that power on the back leg when winding up the throw, and then meekly hopping onto the front leg and throwing........ just try this and see how absurd an action it is. The correct sequencing of the throw is totally destroyed with power and accuracy both suffering badly.

[u]2[/u]
Do the classic 'Feet Together' practice drill used to develop balance and to reduce swing sway. The golf pivot action when you put your feet together obviously becomes a lot simpler on full'ish swings. It really is a great drill for showing people how simple golf could be, however the lesson might as well be in latin when it comes to translating this motion to a proper wide stance!

Anyway, please do this drill properly and notice how involved the right foot is on both the back and forward swing......... again this should be very interesting.

cheers,

People who think there was "one move" to Hogans secret that was or will be the holy grail to the perfect golf swing are seriously disillusioned.

That being said, the most interesting move for me has more to do with the LEFT not the right leg. That sucker on the backswing sways back like crazy. I don't see that move on tour all that much

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1337604861' post='4949950']
Your speed will be more consistent if your turning axis is STABLE..from L ankle to L knee to L hip to L shoulder...the R side can even add-on and it won't matter...
[/quote]
Are you suggesting that Hogans left leg, knee or ankle are stable during backswing?

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1337605349' post='4949988']
Your speed will be more consistent if your turning axis is STABLE..from L ankle to L knee to L hip to L shoulder...the R side can even add-on and it won't matter...
[/quote]
Are you suggesting that Hogans left leg, knee or ankle are stable during backswing?
[/quote]

Good observation............ I agree that the turning Axis of the body should be stable but I see the Right side as the driver of this...... this also makes sense as Hogan pivoted like crazy on the right leg and even lifted the left foot on the backs wing........ how can the left be stable when its being un-weighted and moves so much prior to impact?

I think its common knowledge that Hogan primarily swung with the body and not the arms, and I find that this Right Leg action gives me the tremendous body turn and hip clearance needed for the arms to get a 'free ride'................. this might not be the case for everyone but it really is the only thing that has enabled me [u]to maintain the Hogan spine angle[/u] in an athletic and consistent way. Overuse of the arms in my swing just leads to timing issues.

I'm glad this old thread popped up because I've been struggling with a similar issue in my swing.

My problem is I hang back on my right side in the downswing. My left hip gets left enough (or too left) and over/outside of my left heal, but weight is still in my right side because I'll get excessive spine tilt away from the target. I'm not sure if that's the exactly problem, but there is definitely a problem because my right heal will stay down way too long and my left foot will fly all over the place through impact.

So while are work last week, I was monkeying around trying to figure out how to rid myself of this problem and I got the idea of "firing my right side" through the ball more, instead of just thinking the left side would magically take care of everything. The video below is from that night at the range (6 iron then driver from DTL). I think I am on to something mainly because it cleaned up my footwork a lot and I hit it well after I got the hang of the move (I only hit 65 balls total but the 2nd half were really good).

So here's my opinion on: the right knee and foot definitely get dragged (there's no argument here because everyone can see it happen). But I [u]don't[/u] think the get dragged by the left hip/leg or dragged from an earlier push off the right leg. Instead, I think they are dragged from the right side of the core. It's hard for me to pin down exactly what is causing the rotation, but it just feels like the right core rotates and that drags the right leg and clears the left out of the way.

I think the notion that the right side is limp and just gets pulled along for the ride is definitely wrong. Maybe that's not wrong for everyone, but it has to be wrong for me because whenever I feel that then my hips just stop rotating and my footwork looks terrible. And, the idea that you don't use an entire side of your body seems somewhat crazy to me. I know Hogan was borderline obsessed with power and wanted "3 right hands" I believe, so I can't imagine he would just let his right side do limp and get dragged along when he could fire it instead and get extra power.

Again though, by firing it I mean firing the entire right side, mainly core, and having the right knee break in toward left knee as part of this motion (although that isn't really a push of the right side).

Anyone else have this feeling?

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1337609911' post='4950364']
I'm glad this old thread popped up because I've been struggling with a similar issue in my swing.

My problem is I hang back on my right side in the downswing. My left hip gets left enough (or too left) and over/outside of my left heal, but weight is still in my right side because I'll get excessive spine tilt away from the target. I'm not sure if that's the exactly problem, but there is definitely a problem because my right heal will stay down way too long and my left foot will fly all over the place through impact.

So while are work last week, I was monkeying around trying to figure out how to rid myself of this problem and I got the idea of "firing my right side" through the ball more, instead of just thinking the left side would magically take care of everything. The video below is from that night at the range (6 iron then driver from DTL). I think I am on to something mainly because it cleaned up my footwork a lot and I hit it well after I got the hang of the move (I only hit 65 balls total but the 2nd half were really good).

So here's my opinion on: the right knee and foot definitely get dragged (there's no argument here because everyone can see it happen). But I [u]don't[/u] think the get dragged by the left hip/leg or dragged from an earlier push off the right leg. Instead, I think they are dragged from the right side of the core. It's hard for me to pin down exactly what is causing the rotation, but it just feels like the right core rotates and that drags the right leg and clears the left out of the way.

I think the notion that the right side is limp and just gets pulled along for the ride is definitely wrong. Maybe that's not wrong for everyone, but it has to be wrong for me because whenever I feel that then my hips just stop rotating and my footwork looks terrible. And, the idea that you don't use an entire side of your body seems somewhat crazy to me. I know Hogan was borderline obsessed with power and wanted "3 right hands" I believe, so I can't imagine he would just let his right side do limp and get dragged along when he could fire it instead and get extra power.

Again though, by firing it I mean firing the entire right side, mainly core, and having the right knee break in toward left knee as part of this motion (although that isn't really a push of the right side).

[/quote]

Forgot the video of me in the lab. Here it is.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM0qOZ28lA8[/media]

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1337610175' post='4950384']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi mate,

I'd seen your swing before and the one area of concern I had was your pivot action. It seemed to be an area you were constantly trying to groove but I could see consistency issues arising with your motion, particularly as the same thing has effected me a lot.

Anyway I just want to say that I have just seen a huge change in the video you've just posted! You no longer have that squatting right knee on the back swing and now seem to be 'posting' into it.......... just looks like tremendous leverage is being built up! Keep working on that 'stacked' rear leg position and loading it up........ another interesting thing is set-up and how important this is........ just play around with you set-up weighting and whether this is more forwards or centered , and your spine tilt at address....... I'm getting rid of the loosy -goosy feeling and staying almost dead-centered over the ball.......... I really do feel like my legs are pylons cranking into the right side and then unloading with a right side drive combined with small laying off of the hands....... just remember to keep running that knee all the way through.

Anyway, glad this is having some relevance for you.

[/quote]

[/quote]

"Again though, by firing it I mean firing the entire right side, mainly core"

Just a small comment here.............. I don't feel its the core that initiates this (though not everyone feels the same)........... once you're pivoted and 'stacked' on the right leg you should feel tremendous tension all the way up the inside of the leg and particularly on the instep of the foot (naturally as this is what is in contact with the ground)............ I feel the transition is powered by pushing off this instep and inner leg, which is a reversal of the motion........... this will push through and clear the left side, and once the hands come into the impact the momentum will help drag the right knee through as you described (though still 'run it' after impact a bit)

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1337605349' post='4949988']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm referring to the DS.

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1337612867' post='4950664']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just a small comment here.............. I don't feel its the core that initiates this (though not everyone feels the same)........... once you're pivoted and 'stacked' on the right leg you should feel tremendous tension all the way up the inside of the leg and particularly on the instep of the foot (naturally as this is what is in contact with the ground)............ I feel the transition is powered by pushing off this instep and inner leg, which is a reversal of the motion........... this will push through and clear the left side, and once the hands come into the impact the momentum will help drag the right knee through as you described (though still 'run it' after impact a bit)
[/quote]

Thanks for the comment.

I'm really not sure either if the core initates this. I could be pushing and just not realize it. I actually think that is the case because I've struggled with getting too far left quite a bit, so I am sure there is a push.

Something else that I am realizing too that is conneted to all this (at least it's connected/related to this conversation for my swing).

In the backswing the right hip moves back away from the target line. Creating hip depth as some would say. And in the downswing as the hips clear, the right hip has to move back toward the target line because it is much closer to the target line than the left hip in the finish.

I always just felt my right hip move toward the target during the downswing, but I think what feels a lot better for me is feeling it move toward the target AND toward the target line. When I do this it helps my foot work and it helps my left side clear, instead of jamming my left side into a slide/stall position. I hope this makes sense. I guess you could describe it as turning in a barrel too. I wish I realized this months ago.

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1337612867' post='4950664']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the comment.

I'm really not sure either if the core initates this. I could be pushing and just not realize it. I actually think that is the case because I've struggled with getting too far left quite a bit, so I am sure there is a push.

Something else that I am realizing too that is conneted to all this (at least it's connected/related to this conversation for my swing).

In the backswing the right hip moves back away from the target line. Creating hip depth as some would say. And in the downswing as the hips clear, the right hip has to move back toward the target line because it is much closer to the target line than the left hip in the finish.

I always just felt my right hip move toward the target during the downswing, but I think what feels a lot better for me is feeling it move toward the target AND toward the target line. When I do this it helps my foot work and it helps my left side clear, instead of jamming my left side into a slide/stall position. I hope this makes sense. I guess you could describe it as turning in a barrel too. I wish I realized this months ago.
[/quote]

[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]"I wish I realized this months ago"[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"] [/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]this made me laugh for some reason........ I'm sure every golfer feels this way, I sure do....... 'damn if only I knew this I wouldn't have sliced the ball for 12 years'.[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"] [/color]
[color="#1c2837"][size="2"]Anyway we learn something every time we play a round or step on the range, and we sure can't learn it all in a day......... I've beat thousands of balls this year until my hands bled however this pivot action just materialized in the last 10 days.[/size][/color]
[color="#1c2837"] [/color]
[color="#1c2837"][size="2"]As Moe Norman would say, "It's price is high but the rewards are richer....... Some say it a boy's pastime but yet it builds men"[/size][/color]

[/quote]

Based on my own trials and tribulations with a rotary move, I have found that the right knee move exhibited by Hogan most likely was a result, not a conscious effort. I believe that it is a result of Hogan initiating the downswing with the lower body, but its his hips not the knee that does this. He may have come to this conclusion because it is so much easier to observe from a self examination standpoint than the hips. Especially without high speed video.

If you maintain the brace of the knee in his setup position and rotate the hips open to start, the right knee has nowhere else to go. Just like the left knee straightening and pressuring the left heel.

Just my 2 cents...

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

[quote name='Atrayn' timestamp='1337893446' post='4972644']

[/quote]

Based on my own trials and tribulations with a rotary move, I have found that the right knee move exhibited by Hogan most likely was a result, not a conscious effort. I believe that it is a result of Hogan initiating the downswing with the lower body, but [b]its his hips not the knee that does this[/b]. He may have come to this conclusion because it is so much easier to observe from a self examination standpoint than the hips. Especially without high speed video.

If you maintain the brace of the knee in his setup position and rotate the hips open to start, the right knee has nowhere else to go. Just like the left knee straightening and pressuring the left heel.

Just my 2 cents...
[/quote]

In this case, two cents is worth a lot. The knees are simply shock absorbers, which respond to and accommodate the hip action. Just running the right knee at the ball won't cause the kind of hip action that Hogan demos here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_6M_xZvq0

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1337900872' post='4973234']

[/quote]

Based on my own trials and tribulations with a rotary move, I have found that the right knee move exhibited by Hogan most likely was a result, not a conscious effort. I believe that it is a result of Hogan initiating the downswing with the lower body, but [b]its his hips not the knee that does this[/b]. He may have come to this conclusion because it is so much easier to observe from a self examination standpoint than the hips. Especially without high speed video.

Just my 2 cents...
[/quote]

In this case, two cents is worth a lot. The knees are simply shock absorbers, which respond to and accommodate the hip action. Just running the right knee at the ball won't cause the kind of hip action that Hogan demos here:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_6M_xZvq0"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QL_6M_xZvq0[/url]
[/quote]

Guys I think you misinterpret what running of the right knee means.

It is not an isolated knee action but instead a push from the back inwards by the whole inner right leg, from the foot up to the hip................. just imagine that the right knee is the at the tip of the arrow formation of fighter jets, they are all flying in unison but the lead jet is leading the direction of the others........ the 'right knee' is more of a swing feel to help initiate........ essentially the whole right side will push inwards which initiates, engages, and automates the correct movement of the left hip and leg and then both sides will work in harmony together, i.e. not the left side pulling the right through which I think is impossible for the Hogan action............. Sevam1 touched on this when he spoke of bumping the left hip forwards whilst whilst still tourquing his right leg backwards......... this was his interpretation........ specific 'Running of the right knee' forwards is a swing thought after impact that provokes more aggressive clearance of the right side through the ball to increase power.

Interestingly enough MizunoJoe if you trigger Transition in this way on loaded up legs you will get the high tension shock absorber feeling you are talking about.

I believe that Hogan has almost an entirely lower body dominated swing, more so than any other player.......... the right side push is the only transition trigger action that allows this unique feeling to happen for me where the arms are getting a ride and a powerful and consistent swing emerges.......... it requires full and harmonious clearance of the lower body......... any stalling of the hip clearance from the right side and the upper body will start to take over................. I hope to get some video up soon for you guys to judge how it has affected my action.

The other thing to consider is that by saying that Hogan did "so and so" instead of this would mean that he either lied to Jody Vasquez, or she in turn made the whole thing up!

I'm in agreement with Atrayn and Mizjoe. Look at that Hogan swing again. Review the Vasquez quote again:

"On the downswing, [b]Hogan's first movement was to push the knee inward to the left and toward the ball.[/b] This resulted in a lateral shifting and opening of the left hip. His only thought had to be the right knee dropping in at the ball. He referred to it that day as "running at the ball.""

I don't see this at all in Hogan's swing. In fact, look at how early he's already dragging the right toe. If the right toe is dragging, there's no push off/no ground force at the right foot. And that's because he establishes his left pivot point extremely early (while the club is still moving targetward) and has a wide stance, so his right leg is being pulled, it is not pushing.

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1337900872' post='4973234']

[/quote]

Just my 2 cents...
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_6M_xZvq0"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QL_6M_xZvq0[/url]
[/quote]

Hunter Mahan of all the modern players is thought to be close to Ben Hogan's swing plane.

Just check out the two actions and notice the profound difference in leg drive, and how Mahan really controls his swing with the upper body......... also notice his hip stall just after impact compared to Hogan's................. Is there any real doubt that Hogan is driving through the right hip in a conscious way? I'd say no there isn't because he really is doing something unique even compared to a one-planer like Hunter Mahan.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaZwJ4FV6cc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaZwJ4FV6cc[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDO9GKrdS0I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDO9GKrdS0I[/url]

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1337916673' post='4974610']
I'm in agreement with Atrayn and Mizjoe. Look at that Hogan swing again. Review the Vasquez quote again:

"On the downswing, [b]Hogan's first movement was to push the knee inward to the left and toward the ball.[/b] This resulted in a lateral shifting and opening of the left hip. His only thought had to be the right knee dropping in at the ball. He referred to it that day as "running at the ball.""

I don't see this at all in Hogan's swing. [u] In fact, look at how early he's already dragging the right toe[/u]. If the right toe is dragging, there's no push off/no ground force at the right foot. And that's because he establishes his left pivot point extremely early (while the club is still moving targetward) and has a wide stance, so his right leg is being pulled, it is not pushing.
[/quote]

I see the first sign of the right foot releasing and being 'dragged' at just before 3 o'clock in his swing, well after impact..............

I've reviewed it, studied it, tested it, and it works for me............ not sure there is much more I can say on the matter.......... I'm 100% convinced in the principle, though perhaps not my explanation of it........... it allows me to comfortably flush a blade 3 iron 230 yards whilst focusing almost totally on the lower body, which is a very different sensation from my other swing techniques which require a more pronounced upper body action.

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1337916673' post='4974610']

I don't see this at all in Hogan's swing. In fact, look at how early he's already dragging the right toe. If the right toe is dragging, there's no push off/no ground force at the right foot. And that's because he establishes his left pivot point extremely early (while the club is still moving targetward) and has a wide stance, so his right leg is being pulled, it is not pushing.
[/quote]

Actually, Jody Vasquez's is consistent with what you are saying. When the weight/pressure is already on the L foot/pivot point by the end of the BS and the L hip is already on top or over the L heel, with Hogan having the momentum already from the counter fall and his R knee bent inwards already right from Address/Setup, pushing the R knee inward and towards the ball may be the most efficient way to turn those hips that Hogan wanted and talked about so much. It is hard, if not impossible, to turn the L hip if the weight/pressure is already on the L pivot point/foot. The R foot is still being pulled, but the R knee being pushed inward sorta "releases" the hips, which in turn pulls/drags the R foot.

@nice -

I completely understand what you are saying but it could be as simple as "what you feel isn't what you see" It has happened to me on many occasions in my swing journey and especially this early clearing of the hips.

I cannot simply concentrate on that right knee running in especially since it is already preset slightly kicked in. In the Hogan video, you can clearly see where the left hip starts very slightly first in the sequence. Slightly enough that the brain may not register it in time when executing the swing. This is a whole different topic, but one that is important since the entire swing happens in just over a second.

Hogan states in the video that the swing starts with the lower body and he demonstrates it very effectively. he may say the knees and hips, however, that statement may not mean knees first and then hips. We'll never know because we can't ask him. All we can do is speculate. I'm just throwing this out there because of my own experience. I'm not trying to duplilcate Hogan, but I know for a fact that I cannot get the club where it needs to be without concentrating on getting that hip started rotating back before transition. If I don't, several bad things happen in the swing as compensatory unconsious actions as my brain tries to square the face.

We each have different feels and what one person feels and works for them is different but accomplishes the same thing. Many drag the knee in the way that you state, but again I just believe that is a result of proper sequencing and weight transfer.

[quote name='Atrayn' timestamp='1337951903' post='4975770']
@nice -

Hogan states in the video that the swing starts with the lower body and he demonstrates it very effectively. he may say the knees and hips, however, that statement may not mean knees first and then hips. We'll never know because [b]we can't ask him. [/b]

[/quote]

Even if he were still alive, I'm pretty sure if I asked him, he would growl, "Go ask Mr Mizuno!". :black eye:

@nice -

I completely understand what you are saying but it could be as simple as "what you feel isn't what you see" It has happened to me on many occasions in my swing journey and especially this early clearing of the hips.

I cannot simply concentrate on that right knee running in especially since it is already preset slightly kicked in. In the Hogan video, you can clearly see where the left hip starts very slightly first in the sequence. Slightly enough that the brain may not register it in time when executing the swing. This is a whole different topic, but one that is important since the entire swing happens in just over a second.

Hogan states in the video that the swing starts with the lower body and he demonstrates it very effectively. he may say the knees and hips, however, that statement may not mean knees first and then hips. We'll never know because we can't ask him. All we can do is speculate. I'm just throwing this out there because of my own experience. I'm not trying to duplilcate Hogan, but I know for a fact that I cannot get the club where it needs to be without concentrating on getting that hip started rotating back before transition. If I don't, several bad things happen in the swing as compensatory unconsious actions as my brain tries to square the face.

We each have different feels and what one person feels and works for them is different but accomplishes the same thing. Many drag the knee in the way that you state, but again I just believe that is a result of proper sequencing and weight transfer.
[/quote]

mate, I totally get what you're saying. Everyone feels differently particularly with trigger moves and we have different compensations.

However my point is that the left hip doesn't cease to function, because its action is very crucial, but will work in better unison with the Right side. Hogan posted beautifully into a very brace right leg on the backswing (the right knee is not at all kicked in at this stage), which was pre-torque'd according to Sevam1. There is a ton of POWER tension now built up and if the concentration is almost 100% on the left side, with no consideration to the right, then this power will just dissipate in an uncontrolled way. By giving primary attention to the right side it synchronizes the movement of the hips and legs in transition with the left clearing first and the right following in a harmonious and controlled way........ please note that I've got my left side action fairly grooved and automated and it doesn't need my total concentration any more.......... Hogan would have been the same.

The more and more I experiment the more I am convinced that the real key to Hogan's swing is how he clears his right side, from knee to hip to rib cage to shoulder........... Only by doing this powerfully and continuously can the arms be given a free ride, allowing him to swing smoothly around the body, maintain his spine angle totally, and achieve a 'thrown' release at the top........... ignoring this right side movement and waiting for it to be dragged through leads to a right hip stall and then the upper body has to be activated to power the swing through impact......... only then can the right side be fully 'pulled' through (like it is in every other golf swing you see apart from Hogan's)

Just my thoughs and feelings and experiences............ I'm getting the Hogan swing plane, spine angle, free ride, and thrown finish so I'm 100% convinced (almost everything for me is dependant on the right leg pivot from set--up, to posting and then the tension release).............. this is totally different to my Snead swing where an armsy throw is needed through impact, and a modern swing like Tigers that requires a huge amount of upper torso action and coordination.

@nice -

I cannot simply concentrate on that right knee running in especially since it is already preset slightly kicked in. [b]In the Hogan video, you can clearly see where the left hip starts very slightly first in the sequence.[/b] Slightly enough that the brain may not register it in time when executing the swing. This is a whole different topic, but one that is important since the entire swing happens in just over a second.

[/quote]

Absolutely........... it would be impossible for anything else to happen........... if from Hogan's back swing position you push off the instep of right towards the target then the left hip will shift forwards........... what you're ignoring is that that right hip is moving forwards too!!

just check out 1.08 very very carefully [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_6M_xZvq0"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QL_6M_xZvq0[/url]

now compare this to 0.33-0.35 of Tiger's swing [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc9Wb9JKpTE"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Wc9Wb9JKpTE[/url]

Very different actions with Hogan backing into the ball with a very straight right side........ you should also notice that Tiger leads with the left, stalls the lower body and requires the upper body to power the swing through and drag the right hip.

[quote name='jak_bot' timestamp='1338132831' post='4984938']
It's simple, the left hip goes forward by going backwards.
[/quote]

110% YES!