Who is your ICON? Win a pair of ICONs. 5 winners!!!

My ICON, like many others, is my dad. He introduced me to golf as a kid and gamed a sweet set of Haig Ultra Irons with a sweet pair of paisley saddle golf shoes with matching kilties :pimp: 70's :pimp: Unfortunately he no longer has the shoes! I'm thankful for all the time we get to spend together playing this great game we all enjoy. I would love to give him pimped out pair of ICONs.

Thanks to Footjoy & GolfWRX for a fantastic contest.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen, I have to have these for the guy that got me started in golf 26 years ago and I still get a chance to play with him ever now and again, he is a Doctor so he can afford his own but...he is so tight he would never buy them, he knows everything about golf and will tell you so, about your swing, his swing and anyone elses you would like to know about but can't break 90! He will tell you how to hit a 300 yard drive but can't hit it over 180-190 at his best. He has always had a great attitude about the game and life in general, he is fun to play with and be entertained by. For 18 years in a row we went to Pinehurst for a week, just me him and the other 20 or so guys he would get together. I owe him a lot!

Thanks doc

Definitely my father. He taught me to play the game when I was 15, I'm 39 now. He was a small business owner, and worked 13 hour days 5 days a week, and 6 hours a 6th day every week. He was off on Wednesdays, and we'd always play after school. Dad was a 3 when he taught me to play, and was one of the best putters I've ever seen. He never pushed, and always offered advice when asked. I wasn't serious about golf until I was 20. I was in college 90 minutes from home, and every Wednesday afternoon, when I was done with class, we'd meet somewhere near college to play. It took me 7 years to beat him, and I've never seen him prouder. I holed a 30 foot birdie on 17 to go up a stroke, and we both parred 18 at North Shore Country Club in Topsail, NC. To this day, every time we talk, which is about twice a week, he never neglects to ask how I'm playing or what I shot over the weekend. He's lost some ability to play, but still has a great love for the game. Dad is diabetic, can't feel anything in his legs below his knees, and his eyesight has deteriorated to the point that he can't see anything further away than about 15 feet. He's still a member of our old country club, and still plays every Wednesday with his brother, who picks him up and drives him to the course. I play with him every time I go to visit, and it amazes me still to see him shoot 83-88 without ever seeing a shot land. Despite his eyesight, and because of his knowledge of the course, he still makes a ridiculous amount of putts, and has become a remarkable reader of the greens by using his feet while walking the line. I'd sure love for him to have something nice to walk the lines in!!!

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD

My golfing icon would easily be my father-in-law. I number of years back he cleverly got me into the game, and I can't thank him enough for it.

As a former University football and elite junior hockey player I thought I would never take up the "game for old men." He'd been trying to get me on the course for years and I'd always used the excuse of "I'm a lefty and have no clubs".....well one day he surprises me with my own set and begrudgingly I was forced to play. I found the the game so hard and I was so bad, that instead of hating it, I took on the golf mastery challange and have been hooked since.

I'm to the point where he hasn't beaten me in years (he plays to a 5) but he still likes to remind me of all the beers and lunches he's had on my account.

Like I said, my icon would be my father-in-law.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

My golf icon is a friend of mine. Five to ten years ago, he would treat all of us to some great golf trips....or even a quick round at his club. He was never the most careful person with his money but he wasn't just throwing it away. He was in a position to enjoy some luxuries and decided to share them with his friends. A couple years back, his partner pulled some nasty stuff on him and he lost just about everything.....his house, his car - and needless to say his golf luxuries as well. He had a real rough time for a while but is at least above water again and he was able to hang on to some of his golf equipment through all of it. He has even been able to join a golf league with me and to be honest, even though it is at a not-so-special course, I'm having as much fun there as we did on the golf trips. He certainly needs and deserves a new pair of golf shoes. Thanks to GolfWRX and footjoy for putting this together.

Frank McBride. A dear friend, who passed away earlier this year. His father won the RI Amateur in 1922, Frank won it in 1963, and his son won it in 1969.. One of his sons is a PGA pro, another a superintendent. A true golfing family. Frank was a marine who served in the South Pacific in WWII, was one of the the kindest and most gentle people I have ever met.

Frank had dinner with Tony Lema a few weeks before he was killed. Taught me how to refinish persimmon golf clubs, and was like a father to me. I miss him alot. Shot his age many many times, and I believe he had 6 or 7 holes in one. He was a great golfer but a greater friend.

My Icon was my grandfather. He was a high school teacher and basketball coach and a very well respected man in the community. One day when I was 6 I saw him chipping in his yard and I went to see what he was doing. He taught me everything he knew. He got us a membership at a small course about 30 min. away. My grandfather was 91 the last time he played golf and he only went because he knew how much I loved to play, he didn't even feel well enough to putt, telling me to putt for him, because I "needed the practice". My grandfather loved the game and he instilled that love of the game in me. He passed away the day after I shot my best round of my life, and I know he would be proud of me. Thanks to golfwrx for this contest and all the others.

TM / Titleist / Machine
WITB Link

I would have to say Jack, my boss... I shoot badly, he is a decent golfer compared to me and very encouraging, he happily goes out and shoots a round with me, giving encouragement and always recalls the great shots and not the 3 foot missed putt!

Gives great advice on practice and the mental side while not telling me how to play, leaves that to the Pro LOL.

My golf ICON is my Father in law the famous Bobby D. During college I think I played only twice, the love was there but the funds were low and I needed to finish school while my mom was still working. After graduation I still had not relocated to the same city as my girlfriend, but I visited on a bi-weekly basis and in doing so spent quality time with the future Mrs and her family. I soon found that Bobby and I had a mutual love for the game and I found myself playing nearly everytime I travelled up and playing all over Northern California, Reno and Tahoe with his club. That's all I needed to become hooked again ! someone really cool to play with. Well I've been playing with my Bobby for 17+ years now and nearly on a weekly basis, only taking a few months off when he had is surgery for a corroded artery in his neck. (95% blockage) Rain, wind, cold even a freak hail storm at Spyglass one year..we'd play. Yes my kind of playing partner. Weekly hookups at Poppy Ridge, endless supply of golf balls and lots of laughs and goodtimes is why Bobby D is my golf Icon.

Anybody that has met him out @ Poppy would certainly agree,he is one of kind. I can only hope when I am that age, I can play half as well. (and have a cool son in law) ;)

Great contest by the way... double awesomes.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Definition

lso i·kon (kn)

a. An image; a representation.

b. A representation or picture of a sacred or sanctified Christian personage, traditionally used and venerated in the Eastern Church.

2. An important and enduring symbol: "Voyager will take its place ... alongside such icons of airborne adventure as The Spirit of St. Louis and [the] Bell X-1" (William D. Marbach).

3. One who is the object of great attention and devotion; an idol

My icon is Jesus Christ.

My golf icon is for sure my Dad. Shoots in the low 100's and slices the heck out of each drive he hits. But you know what, he has a big smile on his face when he plays the game, and truly enjoys it. For a while I was so addicted to the game that I did not enjoy it like I should have. At one point I had not played with him in a two years since we lived 3000 miles away while I was in college. During a visit he brought his clubs and we got a tee time at a local muni. I had so much fun being out there with him, it brought back many great memories, and my game really benefitted from his positive outlook on golf and in life itself.

He also really needs a new pair of golf shoes. We played together 2 weeks ago and I noticed the front part of his shoe sole was flopping up and down. I asked him about it and he acted like it was no big deal and kept on playing. I ended up super gluing the front of the shoe that night and it worked! He used them a week later and said "See son, as good as new now!" :)

Maybe a new pair of shoes wouldn't cure his severe slice, but what a nice gift it would be to a person who has had a positive influence on me more than anyone else has.

I wish I could say that my dad got me into the game but he didn't even though he played regularly. My icon would be D C Kimbrough (God rest is soul), he was my high school disciplinarian. I met him during a (almost) fight I had with a member of the golf team (who coincidentally has the same first name as mine). I had no intention on playing golf as I was on the tennis team and chess club. As punishment for almost fighting he made me join the Golf team as the 4th position player (even though I had never played golf in my young life). He taught me valuable lessons in life, honesty, integrity, tenacity and how to live a peaceful life. Kimbrough (that's what he liked to be called) a tall lanky man with graceful style and a flair for the game of golf. After a successful career as a high school teacher he tried to make the PGA tour but after several tries had to give up due to failing health. His life was cut short by cancer! I'm not really trying to win a pair of golf shoes but this seemed like a wonderful time to honor a man that had a profound impact in my life (it was a long time coming).

[b]Srixon ZX7  Evenflow White Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* EvenFlow White Stiff
Titleist TS3 19* hybrid EvenFlow White X-stiff 90gm[/b]
[b]Srixon ZX7 4-PW  Stiff

[/b]
[b]Bettnardi  50*  KBS S+

Bettnardi  54*  KBS S+

Bettnardi 60* KBS S+

[/b]Putter: Bettinardi BB#11 Ball:[b]Srixon Z-Star XV[/b]

My father is definitely my icon. He started taking me to the course at age 2 and 26 years later golf is still a huge part of my life. My father cannot break 90, but will hit one drive a round that will leave you thinking...what if he played more? He has probably averaged 1 round of golf a year for the past 15 years. Over the years he has gotten out of shape and with bad back problems has not been able to enjoy the game he loves. He watches every golf tournament on tv, is a great ambassador for the game and dearly wants to play more but his health has kept him from it.

Recently he lost his job of 28 years but it has been a blessing in disguise. He has used his free time to lose weight and get in shape. He wants to play more golf. Both of his sons are in the golf business and he would love to be able to share more times with us on the course. We would also cherish having out father back on the course. He deserves to be able to play this great game and would love to have some new shoes. His current shoes are FJ Greenjoys from ten or more years ago. What more would I love than to be able to share a round of golf with him, with new FJ Icon shoes as icing on the cake.

Thanks in advance,

SM

hands down it's my dad. he is the only reason i have ever played golf. he has tought all i know about golf and other skills in life. he recently stopped getting free shoes and equiptment a couple years ago for because his endorsment from titleist ended. also, i would like a new pair of shoes because i live off my paypal account and it's getting awefully low lately and not enough to buy some fancy shoes.

thanks.

i have a friend who is my golf icon he has helped me in golf but also in other aspects of life. He is always buyin and workin on clubs and when i ask if he has seen a certain club im lookin for he sells it to me stupidly cheap or will loan me his for as long as i want to keep them i have his 690mbs right now it would be nice to give him something back hes trying to get me a job for the hospital his daughter works at right now so he is an awesome guy that i admire

I would like to keep my icon within the scope of this fine forum. The member I would nominate as my icon is non other than kgeorge78. I do not know him, but he has openly ho'ed more equipment than anyone in recent memory. He recently posted all of the clubs and bags he has bought within a very short time (very long list), then ended by admitting he has used the same pair of shoes for seven years! I think it is about time for a new pair of top of the line shoes for a gear obsessed member who always keeps this forum fun and upbeat. He has taken some criticism, but he keeps his cool and takes it in stride.

I log in to this forum for enjoyment and escape, and his posts and pics always put a smile on my face as I like equipment as well. I am sure everyone can read how enthusiastic he is about the game and gear. Kgeorge78 deserves a pair of Icons, hopefully you have a pair that will match his current bag set up!

Thanks FJ and Golfwrx!

I would have to say my wife b/c she is just getting into the game. We have a 6 mo. old son, and with my work schedule I don't get much time to practice. With her becoming involved in the sport, she is trying to make the game a true family event. We get to spend a whole lot more time together, instead of me taking off for 5 hours at a time by myself. That is why she is my "icon"!!!

God Bless

Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

Well this may be a very weird golf icon, but mine has to be my 12 year old little brother. Yes he may be younger and not know everything about the game but he is truly special to me. When he was 7 years old he was injured badly by the back swing of a golf club. Him and another kid were hitting balls and he was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time and the club hit him directly in his left eye. He has had numerous surgeries, which range from a lens replacement to plastic surgery and has lost almost all of his vision in his left eye. I've seen this boy go through more procedures than i'd care to recall, however even with his slight disability he never lets anything slow him down. He loves golf and practices and plays as much if not more than I do. He may not be a golf prodigy and he may not be the next Tiger, but every time him and I are on the course I'm thankful that he's out there having fun and trying his best no matter what the circumstances. He encourages me to do my best, because I know that he is doing his best. He deserves a pair of Icons because of what he has been through and maybe they'll give him a little extra confidence on the course or just make him feel good in general.

I have two icons.

First person is my dad, and my teacher.

My dad started golf with me, and even though i havent been playing for long, i realy llove the game.

My teacher whom i have known since i started glf, has helped me drop hmm about 15 stroke so far. My first 18 ever was 100. Now i shoot around 85. He helps me with everything, and even doesnt ask for a lot of money. He's the one i want to be like. I know that my goal in golf, is to become a teaching pro, but not just any teaching pro, a pro like him but i want to be able to help others for cheap. I wish he'd continue teaching me and join the PGA, but that would be hard. So GolfWRX, please help me thank these two people.

my golf icon would definitely have to be my grandpa... hes been there for everything i have accomplished in this game and most definitely is my hero in the purest form... he started me on the game and now it pains me to say that he cant play the game anymore because of several things that have happened in the last 5-6 years... it all started when me and my dad had to move back in with my grandparents and even though it started as a way to help me and my dad, it has since turned around and now me and my dad help him... from the stories i have heard from people and family he was a very good golfer around scratch at one point and now because of several medical problems and a few other things he is no longer able to play the game, about 3 years ago he had a stroke and cant see out of his left eye, but i dont think that was the main reason he gave the game up, this past year my grandmother died of a heart attack and she was basically his everything, they did everything together and were basically one person... together they raised 8 kids and somehow found a way to do things for themselves to keep that spark alive. when she passed away it affected him in such a way that i cant even describe, in my opinion its probably the reason he gave up the sport. even now as i try my best to get through college and make some kind of name for myself in the golf world, he has never even doubted that i have a chance to have a good life and do one of the things that bought him the most joy in life... now as i write this its not about being able to win the shoes, though it would be nice, but its about being able to share this story about a man that i not only look up to in the highest manner, but love with all my heart. he is without a doubt my icon and more importantly my hero

My Golf Icon would have to be Steve V, not only did he hook me up, we became great friends. Talk about hook ups for balls, tee times, clubs, and shoes...I was playing the PRO V1 months before it was availible to the public, Steve was getting them from the Titleist Rep and sharing them with me. We played once a week at the courses in the Destin, FL area for free, I went 4 years with rarely ever paying a greens fee. You name a course in the area I got to play it because of Steve. We took a 3 day golf trip to Gulf Shores, AL where Steve had been a teaching pro, all we payed for was food and even a couple meals were free because of a friendship Steve had with the owner of the eatery! A buddy of his named Bubba loaned us his lake house for the 3 days, that was free too. I always had the latest and greatest driver in my bag at no charge, the club reps would give him demos to try and he would always pass one on to me. Someone traded in a set of PING I3's that Steve turned around and sold to me for $250, this was when the I3's were PINGs latest club on the market. Anytime Steve got deals on shoes from the reps he would pass the savings on to me, he knew my size and would always set the shoes aside for me until I could get to his store.

Well, Steve moved away and got out of the golf business a few years ago...the hook ups dried up. Bummer for me! I now have to pay for everything, I'm still banging around in some of the shoes I got from Steve and could use a new pair of the Footjoys for my dawgs. Steve could use a pair too since he ain't gettin shoes for free anymore. Besides, I would look pretty snappy in a pair of those tan and white wing tips...probably take 3 strokes off my game.

Right this is easy i have two

Quite rightly my father who brought me into the game at the age of about 9 and the golfcoach who at the time started teaching me this game.

This golf coach now happens to be my brother in law now.

My father alaways would ask and never pressure me into playing golf but over time seeing him go out for a game and coming back satisfyed then lead me wanting to play with him more.

And now i have finally 10 years later i have only jsut overtaken him in the handicap race with me now being off 5 and him 7, but even though we have become a big foursomes pairing within our club and play many inter-club county and nationals competitions together.

Thanks Dad.

Good luck to the winners.

My icon is my wife. I hadn't been playing golf regularly the two years before I met her, and wasn't great anyway, but she was playing regularly in a league. She encouraged me to play again and we played in a couples league together and I slowly worked up to playing all the time.

We continue to play in a league together and charity tournaments whenever she can. We played on our honeymoon and play on vacation, and she supported me taking a road trip to a golf guru.

We had our first child just 3 weeks ago. She hasn't been able to play a single time this year and I know she misses it. She has still encouraged me to play and I've played at least 6 rounds since our childs birth! She is very supportive and knows I have goals.

Even though she loves golf and being outside, she has only had one pair of golf shoes. We both know it is time for another pair, but man is she picky and I don't know she could motivate herself to spend money on something like that right now. I miss having my playing partner and can't wait to "motivate" her to get out and play. Once we have a babysitter, of course.

Anser 8.5* Phenom 50s
CB2 16.5* Epic, HDI 19* 23* Phenom 1
I20 5-GW c-taper 120s
Eye2 XG SW & LW
Ketsch 34" Flatso Ultra
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/Burns

My dad is my ICON by far. Growing up with an older brother who was always better at sports, I always tried to play to his standards but my dad always told me to play my game and not worry about how he does. Throughout my life he was always the one telling me that I didnt need to be the biggest or the strongest to compete, I just had to know my game. He even gave me a charm for my necklace that said "See Yourself Then Be Yourself". It is that dedication that helped me become a teaching professional and even to this day, he has more faith in my talent as a player than I do, never telling me that I didnt try hard enough or play well enough. He is the reason that golf is fun for me.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

My icon would be my father. He, my uncle, and grandfather all had a hand in getting me started in the game, but dad was the one who really made my interest grow. He's been my favorite playing partner and primary swing instructor throughout all these years. Whenever the wheels would come off my game I can usually count on him getting everything sorted out with a little time on the range. I couldn't tell you how many rounds we've played in the late afternoon. The course would be empty and it would be just him and I, working on something or just out goofing off. He's always been there to listen whether I've had a career round, hacked it around, or just want to talk about the game in general. He's always loved the look of the classics, but because he was more concerned about providing for his family, $200+ golf shoes just didn't make a whole lot of sense. I appreciate golfwrx putting on this and all their contests. I haven't entered in any contests because it's hard for me to write an explanation for why I need or want something, but I have no problems doing so for my dad.