2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Who is your ICON? Win a pair of ICONs. 5 winners!!!

Definitely would have to be my Dad. In hindsight, I was pretty lucky that he started me out around the greens and let me tag along on his weekend games. Even as an adult, my game is still the first thing he asks about any time we talk. Some comfy shoes might get him out a bit more often post-hip replacement.

And big thanks to the sponsors and Wrx for putting these and other offers together!

10.5 (8.5) TM Sim2 w/ Smoke Blk 70 6.5  |||  16.5 HL Rogue ST LS w/ Smoke Blk 80 6.5

2i TM P790 w/ Smoke Blk HY 6.5  |||  4-PW Srixon ZX7 w/ S400

50.08 (SM9), 54.13 (TM MG3), 58.12 (SM9) w/ S400  |||  Byron Morgan 007

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My golfing Icon is my Dad. My Father introduced me to the game of golf when I was only 5 even though he didn't play himself. He started me golfing because he realized what a great sport it is and he regretted that he didn't start when he was young like me. He paid for my lessons and clubs as much as he could to support my golfing habit. I tried to get him to play but he wouldn't because he said he didn't have enough time to play and travel as much for work as he did. A few years I finally got him out to play and from that point on he loved the sport and couldn't get enough of it. Now because of his traveling I don't to get to spend that much time with him but when I do it is on the golf course and we love it. Even though he loves the game he refuses to buy himself any nice golf equipment, he would rather take that money and put it to my or my brothers golfing. He is playing in the original pair of Nike spikes that I got him when he first started something like 4 years ago, needless to say they are beat to hell and he wont buy himself new ones. That being said, my Dad definitely deserves a pair of shoes like these for all of the things he has done for me.

I would have to say my ICON is my grandfather, both in golf and in life. I have never seen him without a smile, and he's always been my biggest support. "Onward and Upward Matthew, show 'em what you got". I still laugh, to this day he keeps an old pair of footjoys polished and ready to go everytime he plays, I swear they're 20+ years old. He still used wooden clubs because metal "doesn't feel right".

I have to pick him as my golf ICON because he was undoubtedly my biggest fan when I was going through highschool golf. Until the day I die I will always remember that my 74 year old grandfather walked every hole of every single high school match, home or away, my senior year. At the end of the match he'd hand out a "game ball", which was just a ball he found walking the course, to the person who shot the lowest score. Now, my HS team had some serious players, almost all of us played in college, and let me tell you we fought like hell to win the game ball. He never let me forget to always do better because I could do better.

That's my icon.

My golf icon is my friend Woodchuck (don’t ask me how he got his name, long story). Anyway he loves golf as much as I do and we always play together. I went through some tough financial times a few years ago, while I was trying to become a better player and had to cut back on my golfing, he ended up picking me up a lesson and summer greens fee package and said all he wanted in return is that I work hard and break 75 by summers end.

I am very thankful to have him as a friend because not only did I break 75 but I also made the golf team, so also thanks to him, college cost me a ton less, which is fortunate for me now that I have many other bills, a wife and a daughter now.

I cant wait for the day when I can return the favor by taking him to Pebble Beach or something like that but for now a new pair of shoes would be a good start. :D

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

My icon is someone who's attributes have helped me become both a better dad and a better golfer: my mom. She's a breast cancer survivor who decided that it was a condition that she had and not someone that she would become: a person that felt sorry for herself. Those attributes help me on the golf course. I never feel sorry for myself or look to place blame. I don't play the "if" game, either. Simply put because of her I've learned to battle and grind instead of moan and groan.

I would love to see her rocking some FJ's on the golf course, in pink, of course.

TM R11 w Accra SC 75 M4
Nike Covert 2.0 3w w Accra Tour Z M4
Adams Grey Peanut 24* Aldila By You 80X
MP32 6-PW PX 6.0
Cobra Trust Rusty 56* and 60* S200 Shaft
DW Davis Custom Anser Style Putter

Thank you to GolfWrx and FootJoy for another great contest. Golf is such an amazing game and I’ve met many, many people that I call friends because of this great game, but if I had to pick one to call my Icon it would have to be the old Norwegian immigrant that lived next door to me growing up. My siblings and I fondly called him “Norske” and he was just call all of us by our last name Schwan but we always knew which one he was talking to. My father was a very busy man and didn’t play golf but “Norske” sort of took me under his wing and got me started playing on a nine hole sand greens “golf course” that was more like sand greens scattered throughout a pasture. I borrowed clubs from him until I saved enough money from my paper route to purchase a set of Northwestern clubs from the local discount store. They were ugly things; in fact they were women’s baby blue 1 and 3 woods, 3, 5, 7, and 9 irons, and a flat bladed putter – all with baby blue grips. The thing is the quality of the clubs and the quality of the course didn’t matter because the quality of the company was always great. “Norske” certainly wasn’t a golf instructor but his encouragement and some fundamental help kept me wanting to play. I still remember when he got a brand new set of Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge clubs. Those persimmon woods and shiny chrome irons pretty much mesmerized me. As I grew old and taller he started letting me play clubs out of his bag and eventually encouraged me to just come over and get those clubs when I wanted to play and he wasn’t available. I was proud as heck walking around with those clubs as if they were my own. Well, I haven’t played golf with “Norske” for a lot of years now but he still hollers “Schwan” at me over the hedge when I go home and I still call him “Norske” and we sit and visit when the opportunity arises. He is 75 now but I think he still plays golf on occasion and probably still has those old Sam Snead Blue Ridge blades. Quite honestly I don’t think he’s ever owned a pair of golf shoes much less an amazing pair like the Icons. It would be an amazing opportunity to go home and walk next door to present him a pair of Icons and see if he wanted hit the links with me again.

Al Mark is my "icon"! He introduced me to golf by giving me lessons from my university's gym (while I was supposed to be working!). He has trouble standing, but man, he can still put a swing on the golf ball still! I asked him once for a putting lesson too...he said "Oh sorry, that's a different game." LOL! Anyway, thanks Al, i'm down to a 12 handi now!

my golfing icon is my brother. My brother always made fun of me when I first started playing golf, that was until I took him golfing with me. His passion for the game has grown by leaps and bounds since then and he is always there to keep me playing when my game is in the toilet and need some pointers. He is also there to keep me in check and out drive me when I am playing good just to let me know what kind of monster I've created when I got him into the game. The game will always be our kind of special retreat that we can always spend time with each other doing.

Driver: Titleist 915D3 Rogue 125 60TX
FW: Titleist 915F 16.5 degree Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid: Adams Pro Mini 20 & 23
Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 KBS C-Taper
Wedges: Titleist SM5 54 & 58
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select NP2

Like many others, I'm going to have to choose my dad. He's the one that got me started with the game. Once I hit about middle school, I switched from football, baseball and wrestling to soccer, tennis and hockey (none of which my dad played). Shortly after that he got me started in golf. I was horrible at first, but he was ever patient and kept taking me here and there to play, even courses much over my skill level. His patience with me was astounding, especially since I didn't take the game seriously until I was out of college. Here we are, over a decade later, and we have managed not to kill eachother yet (it's a miracle because I know I could be a pain in the butt sometimes when I was younger) and we golf together at least once a week during the summer. He also frequently golfs with my cousin and a friend of the family that have yet to ever break 120 for 18 holes. His patience and guidance while helping some pretty dire wanna-be golfers should definitely earn him a fancy pair of FootJoy spikes.

Thanks GolfWRX and FootJoy for a great contest!

Titleist 917 D2 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X

Taylormade SIM Max 15* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5

Ping G410 18.5* Tensei CK Orange 70X

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

I happen to be the luckiest guy in this forum. I have 2 ICONS. These 2 men are responsible for introducing me to the game that I have grown to love, and gave me the opportunity to play.

The first ICON is my Step-Father. He hadn't been playing the game for very long when he decided to let me tag along to the little public course he would play. But he had found something that he loved, and he decided to share that love with me. Money was tight when I was a kid, but he always found a way to get us out on that golf course whenever he could. I give him the credit for starting me in this game, and together we grown to love and respect this game for the last 22 years. The next ICON is responsible for showing me what this game is all about.

My Grandfather IS my ICON. He was passionate about this game in every facet. He was an original. He has taught me so much about this game, and everything thing that I have acheived in this game, I owe to him. It would take me hours to tell you about him. He dressed with style, from head to toe. Had the gear, and the game to back it up. He was a shot maker, and had a great short game. He taught me everything I know about this game, from my swing, to how to play the course, and so much more. But the most important things that he taught me was sportmanship, and the respect of this game. I was fortunate enough to get to enjoy this game with him until 1997 when he passed away. There is not a round that passes that I don't think of him, or some lesson that he shared with me.

I would have to vote for my dad, Tom. He has helped me so much in the past month on my swing. I went home fustrated as heck, and did not know where my tee ball was going. I told him we will be on the range until.... After two days and at least 300 balls later, I went to play with him and his money game on the 4th and shot +2 (74). That score would have not been possible without his help. Now I am going into the city am (Nashville) with renewed confidence that I could do well. I would love to give him a great appreciation gift with some ICONS.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g 
3wd: Srixon F65 10.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70g 
3h & 4h Srixon Z-U85 20° & 23° Recoil 95 F4
Irons: Titleist 620CB 5-pwTT AMT Tour White S300 
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50° 56° 60° KBS TT AMT Tour White S400, bent to 51° 55° 59°
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser 34" w/Element 29 from Putter Lounge & Carbon Ringo w/Misted Stainless Steel 
Grip: Lamkin UTx
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
Bag: Srixon Z Stand
Shoes: 6 adidas 2 Puma (diva golfer)

My Dad is my icon. My Dad passed away when I was 7 , he was sick and he left a small ledger with rules for my to follow to be a good man and lessons about life. He was an avid golfer and he left many lessons for the game of golf. for example:

April 6th 1980- I want you both to know to never cheat the game because you will only be cheating yourself. Some times your lie will be a good one and sometimes it will seem to be a bad lie but sometimes your best shots are from bad lies. Make the most of everything life throws at you, there is a little good even in the bad.

We wish we could remember him a bit better but my mom says he was always saying a bunch of stuff that didnt make sense and she laughs and says she thinks he got this stuff from TV but I have follwed all the things he wrote for us and I have turned out to a good man.

Without a doubt, my brother-in-law. I quit the game for about 3 years after being "in the business" for 7 years and surrounded by golf 24/7. Sure, it sounds like fun, but can wear on you. The game was no longer fun. Fortunately, my brother-in-law with his persistent talk of the good times on the course, has me golfing again. I am now with a new company and golf is fun again. Without a doubt, he deserves a pair for reintroducing me to the game again. Thank you.

I have a friend who has to be my golf icon nominee because he thinks he is a golf icon. He is a fairly good player but he believes he is an all time great talent. His absolute refusal to believe that he could not beat Tiger Woods if he had the same opportunity to practice is one of the most fun conversations I have ever had. Although he sounds arrogant he isn't, he is just confident in himself. Some how playing with him has actually made me a better player, he has convinced me to play with the same confidence he does and I actually score better now. Anyway, he should have a pair of shoes to match the level of talent he honestly believes he has and these ICONS are the finest shoe on the market.

I would have to say my Dad is my ICON. He is my Icon because he is the one who fueled my love of the game when i was younger. He didnt start playing golf until he met my mom, but one thing is for certain. A love of the game of golf runs in my blood now. As a junior club ho (with a club ho father), money can get tight for me sometimes, but my dad usually gets me a club for my birthday or christmas if he knows that there is one that i have been wanting for a while. Also, when he and i play together, we always care more about spending some quality time with each other than trying to beat each other really badly. With the economy the way it is, he has had to work a lot more than he used to. Even a little range session or putting competition with him makes my day. He has helped me when i have gone thru little swing problems and big swing changes, and has kept my game improving continually. He also wears these old footjoys that are almost worn thru from the 1980's so he is in need of a serious shoe update. And, if you look better, you play better!!! Thanks golfwrx and FJ for this wonderful oportunity to give back to a wonderful person.

My ICON would be my grandfather 'Poppy'. Since my parents divorced when I was 3, he step up and became the father figure I needed. Besides being a great husband, father, grandfather and friend, he was my hero. He was the one who taught me how to play catch, the one who yelled at the ump for calling strikes when I was batting in little league, and taught me how to golf when I was nine (he was a golf nut-this nut <me> doesn't fall far from the tree), but more importantly taught me about life. He would compare golf and life all the time; "you are soley responsible for your own actions and reactions". We would watch golf every weekend together and eat saltines with cheddar cheese and salami (trying to do this with my son). His favorite golfer, Jack of course, but he loved Payne as the 'newcomer'. If we weren't together and the phone would ring when someone made a great shot, or a touchdown catch or a homerun and he would be on the other end. The day Payne died and the memorial service were extremely tough on both of us, we bawled together during those tough few days.

Unfortunately he past away in 12/01, just 2 months from my wedding day, I was there at his side when his last breath was made, then I knew he was no longer there for me to lean on for advice, no longer there to take me golfing on my birthday (25 straight years) and I knew what he showed me all of those years about being a good man was something I can pass on to my 5 year old son, who actually bears his name. Conner 'Henry' Clark

My ICON would deffinatly have to be my dad. When I was two years old he got me into the game of golf. He never forced me to play always made me make the decision of weither we play or not. From when I was five to nine years old he would always ask me what I wanted to do on my birthday, and I would always respond "play golf with you". So for four years straight, rain, snow, or shine we played golf (My birthdy is November 12th).

When I was around ten I started taking golf seriously and every move I made he was right behind me. Weither it was buying me clubs when he had very little money after he lost his job or paying for my entry for my tournament he did it. After my parents divorced when I was fourteen, I got very angry and upset at life and quit golf for a year. My dad moved to an apartment building and I lived about 30 minutes from him. He used to travel a lot trying to start up his own business so it was very hard to see him. One day he called me on the phone and said "turn on your tv and tell me if thats my apartment building". Sure enough, I turn on the T.V. and his WHOLE apartment building burnt down. He lost everything, his golf clothes, documents and pictures. His dad died when he was 9 so he had to grow up on his own pretty much which always lead me to believe he was a strong person therefore I Knew he would over come this. With this decision he deicded to move South Carolina a good two hour plane ride from me. While in South Carolina I got a call saying he had cancer, and they found it early and he was going in for surgery that monday. Now, don't feel bad for my bad he fought it and got rid of it and overcame it. Through all of these tragedies and problems he showed me how he can stay calm and be a strong man even though he lost everything he had. (including all the pictures of his father and jewelry from his father who died when my dad was nine he was thirty-five)

Now a year later he got his life back on track by getting a high paying job although his new high paying job forced him to move to Florida. He lives on a golf course and now he plays almost every week. Now that I am moving in with him for my Junior year to persue my golf career I can't wait to be with him again. I would not be a .05 handicap and I would not have any love for the game if it wasn't for my dad. I've always wanted to show him that I care about him and I am really greatful that he has taught me the game of golf. Although he isn't a great player being a sixteen handicap, I think he'd be really siked if he recieved a new pair of shoes. If I do recieve the shoes with him, I would make sure we get the same pair, like father, like son. ;)

Thank you FootJoy and GolfWRX for this contest. The shoes look AWSOME!

I figured I'd edit my post and show some pictures of my dad.

58511139310617219166103.jpg

Here is a recent picture of my sister when she visited my dad in Florida a few weeks ago.

n16610317301103823742.jpg

My dad and I on the 18th green at Pinehurst when he took me there on a suprise trip right after I got off the airplane in Myrtle Beach.

32041034353273445371673.jpg

This is Rory McIlroy hitting out of the bunker on the first hole of the 2009 Masters with my dad and I in the background.

Just like half of the entries out there. My dad got me in the game as a kid. Would get me to play during high school, when girls and basketball were the only things I would do on weekends. He made sure I learned the game properly with rules and etiquette. I was reprimanded (in private) more than once for rules and etiquette mistakes. It was these small reminders that made me realize the true "golf is like life" cliche. Just like golf it is still the person who can call penalties on himself and not make rules violations.

We still play about 2-3xs a month together.

Today we are both the same "level" carrying handicaps in and around 9.I blow it past him 25 yards off the tee but he chips and putts to get his pars and makes a lot of birdies on par5s hitting his 3rd from 90 yards.

I just got him a pair of FJs for his birthday last April. Maybe I can give him these for Christmas. He is a size 9.

That Icon would be Stan Stoppa, the head pro at Audubon Golf Club in New Orleans... Not only did he teach my brother the game and give him his first job in the golf biz (He's now the head pro at the Cardinal Club in Louisville,) He always has a tee time for my family even if the course is booked, he also was a NCAA All American, rebuilt Audubon after Katrina and still finds time to qualify for the Senior PGA... A great guy and awesome golfer.

My dad is my icon, he started me with the game and taught me about everything i know. He pays a lot of money so i can enjoy the luxuries of a private club. he shoots in the high 70's to low 80's and is very into golf. He is a great help to me as he carts me around 25 minutes 2 to 3 times a day to get to my country club. He hasnt gotten a new pair of shoes in like 5 years!

thank you

Like many others, my Icon would have been my Dad, but I lost him to cancer several years ago. So, my Icon is my Father-in-law Donnie. Donnie has been like a father to me for the last 20 years, since I met my wife. He is always there whenever I need him. I turned him onto golf about 10 years ago and he has never looked back. Talk about a club Ho!!! He is always trying to buy a better game!!!. He is now retired and does everything he can for me. While I was on vacation this year, he stained my deck, put in a new door in the back of my garage, and I bet I have not mown my grass twice this year because he has it mowed before I get home from work. He recently helped me build a sunroom on the back of my house. I have tried to pay him back by taking him golfing, but I am never allowed to pick up the bill, he always makes a scene to make sure that he takes care of everything!! It would be nice to win a contest because there is no way he could deny me giving him a new pair of Footjoy Icons that were won because he is "The ICON".

Thanks for this opportunity for a little payback!

DCIGUY!

My golfing icon is my best friend who introduced me to the world of serious golf. When I entered freshman year of high school, I played once a week in a recreational manner. By playing like this, I was only able to shoot decent scores due to a poor short game and lack of practice. I had figured that golf is a skill that comes with age and never understood that even kids could play just as well as adults. After signing up to try out for the golf team at a new school, one of my classmates came up to me and introduced himself. After a few minutes of talking, we figured out that we played at the same club. He was an extremely low- handicapper and had been number two on the high school team since seventh grade. This was the exact type of person to meet at the opportune moment.

Since we met, we have played together almost every single day. Both of our games have improved and while he went from shooting around par to under par, I have improved to shooting around par from being a high- handicapper. I dedicate all that I have learned to his ability to push me into being a good player. I have earned his trust to analyze his swing, and I never have a problem with listening to his course management help. We both push each other to improve and are willing to help each other bring our games to the next level.

All of our work together has paid off this year. We both received All- League and All- City honors, got second at our club's Member- Member tournament, were Co-MVP's for our school golf team, and helped our school team to set a low score record as well as our schools best league finish as fourth. These accomplishments are due to the help that we have provided to one another and would not have been possible alone. Next month we both embark to the same college to improve the school's team as well as broaden our education. Only time will tell what is possible.

My golf icon is my best friend. I got into the game before becoming friends with him. But I played my first round with him and hes taught me to get better and break 100 since my first time out. He's a blast to play with too. Funny as hell, loves to bet on anything possible on the course and rarely takes my money at the end haha. I love going back home and playing a round with him, its so much more relaxing and chill than the people I play with at school. He always takes me club "shopping" in his garage if I need or want to change something in my bag lol. I think he would love a new pair of shoes (as well as me!) because everything in his bag is a hand-me-down from his father.

Since my grandparents are gone, there can only be one choice. Like many others, my golf icon is my dad.

He's always had the swing I aspired to have.

He was always the target for the level of play I hoped to achieve someday.

He's done things - like have a hole in one - that I dream about.

He has always been a gentleman on and off the course.

And I'm one lucky son of a gun who gets to play a round with him almost every week.

My icon would be my weekend hack playing partner. We shoot around the same scores but I usually pull out the lucky shot every weekend to win the skins and this has annoyed him to no end. I'll hole out from a bunker or an impossible lie, hit the flagstick or drain a 100-footer that kills his game/ego. I just ride the wave for as long as I can and rib him to no end. I don't know why my shots go in at the right moment but that's golf. To pay him back for all of the skin money I've won, these ICONs shoes would do the trick if I were to win. If not, I'll continue to hope my lucky streak doesn't end anytime soon. Thanks GOLFWRX.