2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Who is your ICON? Win a pair of ICONs. 5 winners!!!

My golf icon, would definitely be the person who started this addiction. One of my best friends, J. Rick. We were stationed together back in 1999. We both were pretty new in the military, and this was our first duty assignment. He grew up in PA and played golf all his life. I lived in FL, and never touched a club in my life. :blink:. We are sitting around one day at our shop just bsing, and Rick mentions that he is going to go to the driving range and asks me if I am interested. I said sure, but I mentioned that I have never played. So, I meet him at the range later that day. He shows up with two bags. He looks at me and says, I am going to make you a good golfer and hands me a old, all leather golf bag, with old old blades in them. Well, I proceeded to hit my first golf balls that night under the giggling eye of my buddy. Left, right, hosel rocket, fat, thin, broken shaft, you name it. I happened that night. He encouraged me to keep at it. So I did. I would meet Rick 3 or 4 times a week to hit at the range. Eventually, I started out playing 9 holes with him, and later 18. This went on for few years, then all of the wars started. Rick and I spent most of our time training and on deployments. We eventually changed duty assignments, but stayed in contact. Whenever we spoke, he would always encourage me to stick with it, which I did. Little did I know it would grow into something that I love more than anything. It's my hobby, obsession, and passion. The best part of this story is that I recently just saw Rick for the first time in 3 years. He gave me some good news. He's accepted a job at one of the units where I live now! He's moving here very shortly, and we will be able to golf together again. Except this time, I will be giving the lessons. :)

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Icon would have to be my 92 year old Grandmother, she is an amazing woman.

She still plays on a weekly basis, she doesn't use a cart and walks a course with her bag on a pullcart and the course she is a member at is rather undulating and a difficult walk.

My Grandmother and Grandfather (who has now passed on) helped construct part of the golf course where she is still a member and where my Father and I were members for many years.

My Grandmother got my Father involved in the game and in turn my Father got me involved... I still get to play golf with my Father and Grandmother when I get back to my home town, 3 generations in the same group :)

The Last time I played with my Grandmother, Mother and Father it was in a team even where we ended up winning the day, it gave my Grandmother much joy to be a part of the day and not for the win but to play with her family and enjoy the day.

My golfing icon isn't my father, an instructor, or the person who taught me the game. Rather, it's my best friend. I still remember the first round of golf I ever played with him. While walking up to the first tee he casually mentions that he's never made a birdie in his life, and that really hadn't played much golf growing up, let alone competitively like I had.

We hit our tee shots, both in the center of the fairway, and I began to wonder with a naturally athletic looking swing why he'd never made a birdie. He hits a short iron onto the very front of the green, about 40 feet away from the flag, and I hit a very nice shot to about 15 feet. Needless to say, my friend walks up and sinks the putt--dead center of the cup. I look at him with astonishment thinking he's been giving me a load of crap, but he's genuinely happy.

Since that day, we've played easily 250 rounds together, from the days of high school golf, to summer junior tournaments, to the casual rounds with the parents, all the while enjoying the company of a life long friend, and the ribbing that goes along with such a friendship. We've witnessed each others greatest shots (my double eagle and his countless hole outs) and career low rounds along with the untimely lows that this crazy game inevitably conjures.

Because of all the memories we've had together on the links, I consider my best friend Philip, to be my golf icon.

My golf icon is my cousin, Lawrence.

I was a late bloomer when it came to golf and Lo was my biggest influence and suporter. Despite being a very accomplished golfer he never minded going out and playing 18 with me. He was always patient and helpful. When I first started playing I only had two clubs that I could dependably get airborne...my driver and my hybrid. He nicknamed my hybrid my "give it all you got club". Whenever I would ask him, "which club should I go with here?", he would always answer, no matter the distance (200, 160 or 100 yards), pull out your "give it all you got club".

He taught me about my grip, stance and swing as well as golf etiquette and rules. Lawrence is a golf traditionalist. He ALWAYS played in pants. Never shorts, which is a BIG deal in Phoenix over the summer. I would ask him, "Why do you plan in pants? It's sooo hot." and he would reply "You don't see Tiger playing in shorts on Sunday".

I also learned a little bit about trash talk and how a 5 footer with money riding on it seems like a 15 footer with a double break.

He was there through many of my 100+ rounds and he was the first person I called when I shot 80.

His job required him to travel around the city and he always had his clubs in the trunk, ready to go. I could always count on him for a round of twilight golf at the end of the day.

He moved to Seattle recently and I miss our weekly golf outings. I would like to give him a pair of FJ ICONs to let him know how grateful I am that he introduced me to this wonderful game.

Well I'm gonna have to call my icon my 17 year old son JC. Actually I would hope that someday he would say that I am his golf icon, but the joy that boy brings me on the course and off cannot be described with words. There's just something special when we get to spend time together.

He is a big time soccer player, on a traveling club team and will be off to college next year. Personally ol' Dad wishes he would become a full time golfer as he has incredibly natural skills. I have had him hitting balls since he was 4 years old and he can flat bomb the ball!! He does need a lot more work around the greens as we all do, but he also is in serious need of new golf shoes!! He just got $435.00 worth of two new pairs of soccer cleats, so the golf shoes had to be put on hold. Great timing for this giveaway!!

His swing reminds everyone a lot of Payne Stewart, long flowing and lots of style. He also loves watching footage of Payne and admired how "stylish" he always looked. I would love to be able to get him "hooked up" with a pair of Icons like the brown and white two tones on the first page of this thread. We also recently found an old pair of Foot Joy classics of mine, black on black patent leather that he thought were just the cooolest golf shoes he had ever seen, so I know he would love to have a pair!!

Thanks to GolfWRX and Foot Joy for this opportunuty!!!

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

My icon would be my dad who taught me the game and is my live long playing partner. Its hard to find kids growing up that enjoyed golf. I only golf with my father and his friends and still do ever since loosing my job in Nov 08. I play all the time with him and its truely our passion and I would love to thank GolfWRX and Footjoy for the opportunity.

Ben

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter:
Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver:
Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid:
Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid:
Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW:
Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW:
Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW:
Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips: 
Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

My grandpa, hands down. He taught me the game of golf because his two passions were his family and being outdoors. This man woke up everyday and said, “it’s time to take on the day.” We used to go to this old municipal course near us where we practically had the course to ourselves, although that didn’t change the rules. I remember one time early on, I tried to reach a par 5 in 3 (I must have been 9 at the time) and I swung so hard that I missed. My grandpa said, “well now its going to be impossible to make the green in 3).

He taught me to enjoy the company of my playing partners as much as I enjoy a good shot. It's not about competition but encouragement.

I still carry along some tips he gave me to my current game. I visualize all shots, I focus on an immediate on my path flight like a flower or blade of grass, and I carry on the traditions and rules of golf that he instilled with me early on.

He’s a great guy who has taught his family to become better people.

Unfortunately, I cannot pass on a new pair of FJ’s to him since he was taken from us two years ago by a drunk driver. I did play with him the day before he died in our Thursday night league and he shot a 48 at age 75. I now have his entire bag and set of clubs he used to play. They are sitting in my basement and will be properly displayed when I redo my basement.

I would love to give a pair to my little cousin as I continue to pass on the traditions and memories my grandpa gave me through the game of golf.

Love you grandpa!

My friend Bill, lifetime PGA pro, taught me everything I know about golf. I came to him ten years ago with a serious snap hook and an inability to break 120. He spent countless hours with me teaching me the game both on and off the course until I finally broke par after two years of his help.

I've broke par many time since then but I never would have done it the first time without Bill. I am proud to call him my teacher, and my friend.

p.s. Bill still wears a pair of white FJ Contours from like 2004 or something (no joke) I'll give both pairs to him he needs them.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Ventus Black TR 6x

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 340 mini 13.5* Speeder 757 x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* LIN-Q M40X Blue

Wilson D9 4h KBS 80 

Callaway Apex 24 MB 6 to 11 iron, MMT 105 TX

Callaway Jaws 54/58/64 KBS 130

Edel EAS 1.0 custom

Wilson Staff Model Ball

My golfing icon without a doubt is my dad, for alot of reasons. First he got me into the game when I was about 8, he was always willing to take me out and play or just go practice. He'd always take me to the course and drop me off on Tuesday mornings in the summer for kids day. If I was sturggling with my game and I needed a lesson, he didn't hesitate to get on the phone and find a golf coach for me. And when I was 19 years old and told him I wanted to move 2000 miles away to attempt to walk onto a golf team, to a place where I knew no one, had no family near by, and didn't even really have a plan for how I was going to pay for everything. He supported me 110%. He helped me pack and drove me out to southern California to help me move in.

5 years later, I've gotten married and moved back to the midwest. It's more affordable here for a newly wed couple starting out, so I like it from that stand point, but also, I'm closer to my family and mostly my dad. He's never been the greatest golfer in the world, I would say hes a solid bogey golfer, he cant hit it very far due to a shoulder injury he had when I was young. And he's no spring chicken anymore either, but he's still out there at least once a week with me when I call him. He's now more eager than ever to go out and play with me every chance we get. I guess, I would like to be able to give something back to the man whos given me SOO much in life and for this game. He's supported me and helped me, no matter where I have lived, and it'd sure be nice to give him something back as well.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6-X
Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7-X
Titleist TSR2 18* w/ Fuji Ventus Red 8-X
Titleist T200 4i w/ UST Recoil Dart 105-X
Titleist T100 2023 5-PW w/ Nippon MODUS3 Tour 120 X 
Scotty Cameron Circle T R&D Concept 1 Newport
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50F/54S/60T w/ DG Tour Issue S400

my golf icon?

well tiger woods w/o any single doubt. but im sure at least 100 of ppl refered him as their icons, so i might hav 2 change.

it is actually a good lady friend of mine.

i gotta say that i used hav huge crush on her n i did make a move but it was better to stay as good friends than being in a relationship.

anyway, back 2 my golfing story.

one day, i played soooo badly. possibly the worst round of my life.

then i decided to call her (during the time i liked her)

we talked as i was walking between shots, i mentioned how sucky i was n asked her if i should just quit golfing. n there it was. the best advice ive ever gotten from anybody.

"IF U QUIT...IM NOT TALKING TO U ANYMORE N WE WNT B FRIENDS..."

of course i was scared to hear that-!

imagine girl of ur dream (well not anymore thou haha) saying that 2 u.

so i hung up the phone n played the rest of the holes (4 holes i think)

n guess wat. -3 in 4 holes.

pretty good huh?

so there it is. she (i cnt really say her name right?) is my icon.

actually more like a mentor but same thing imao.

My father-in-law was the one that introduced me to golf. He took the time to start me off in the backyard with practice balls to show me how to make contact first. Then, later, he spent his Saturday mornings with me in tow on the golf course. He and his golf buddies would throw advice here and there and comfort the frustrations of a budding golf hobby. My father-in-law passed away this past year and those memories with him are as strong as ever. Still remembering the cues and direction he gave me and the devotion and patience he gave to start off a hobby I truly love today. Since he has passed away, my "deserving" icon goes to my son. Because the roles have switched and I am the one giving direction and providing the patience to nurture a lifelong golf interest. It's my son that I wish to nominate for these fine shoes.

Well, this my sound a bit different than other responses, and may even come off the wrong way, but I would have to say that I am my own golf icon. I was never fortunate enough to grow up and have daddy take me to his country club on the weekends to teach me the game of golf. I don't have a friend who invites me onto Cypress Point or Augusta National every year. Instead, I learned this game myself and play for myself. Every time I tee up, I am trying to beat my personal best. Even if I'm in a match with friends and I should play conservatively on the 18th to win the match, I don't. Why? Because I will remember an eagle on that hole for a lot longer than I will remember winning a meaningless match. It's always a personal test of pushin my won limits out on a course.

As much as I enjoy playing with friends, there are times when it's hard to coordinate schedules and when that occurs, I have no problem playing 18 on my own. Again, it's always me against myself and that's the beauty of the game.

However, although I consider myself my own golf icon, I hope many consider me to be theirs. I'm always the one organinzing our yearly outing, putting together golf trips, and venturing out to find new courses off the beaten path. If I were to win the two pairs of shoes, I would give the other pair to a lucky friend in our upcoming outing since I have no icon of my own to give it to.

My father is most assuredly my ICON. He started me into the game on a little nine-hole track in wind blown eastern Wyoming. Though he didn't grow up in Lusk, WY...he came to love that golf course. After 35 years of teaching and coaching golf (and 7 state championships) he retired...to where else...the golf course. He has been the pro-shop manager for about 10 years, and was inducted to the hall of fame a couple of years ago. Though his body doesn't treat him well these days, he is my golfing idol. Never fails to shoots 1 or 2 over when the money is on the line!

????
Adams XTD Ti 5 wood, 7m3s

Adams XTD Super Hybrid 19*, Aldila VS Proto 85x
Cobra Forged Tec Utility 4

Cobra Forged Tec, 5-GW (7-gw one length)

Cobra MIM 56 (bent to 54) one length

Vokey SM7 60*
Ping DarbyF

My golfing icon has to be my friend Brandon. He's the one who got me serious into golf, before playing with him I just wacked balls around and had more fun driving the cart. He taught me how to enjoy the challenge and a lot about the swing. He still gets me by a few strokes normally but he has a great compact swing that really generates some good power for a smaller guy. Great guy!

My ICON in golf would be my first golf teacher, Reid Parish. He was an assistant pro at my club, Diamond Oaks Country Club. No one in my family plays golf and I decided I wanted to play when I started high school. I started taking lessons from him and he introduced to the game of golf in its truest form. He has the most beautiful swing I have ever seen in person. He is a super nice guy and worked with me for 3 years, and I know it was painful at first. Not only did he teach me how to swing properly and rules of the game, but he also taught me the fashion in golf. Coming into high school I was an awkward kid like most and had no idea how to dress, especially in golf clothes. Reid was and still has the best golf swing I have ever seen, along with the best golf fashion I have seen. I would love to win these shoes for multiple reasons. First of all I would love to give back to the guy who introduced me to all parts of the game and had to put up with my most likely horrible first year of golf. Also being a college, I could use a nice new pair of golf shoes. My dog ate my pair of all white Footjoy Dry I.C.E's the day after I got them. I have been wearing them for the past couple years with the tops chewed off but I cant afford a new pair. These shoes bring both of us a great world of joy!

My Grampa. I only really got to play with him a few times, as he was usually pretty busy being a host when people came to visit. But he lived on a golf course in Colorado Springs, and I thought it was the coolest thing. He had a room downstairs where the cart was parked with endless bags of sticks. He also had huge buckets of balls. He would pay me a dollar for every golf ball I found in his yard, as long as it wasn't in play. He is my icon, but these Icons would be for me!

My golfing icon is a guy named Ray Hockaday. He is a member at the club where I would practice that I met through a friend. Whenever I needed help with my swing, my short game, anything he was always the one to help me out. I am currently using a set of his old irons and he is always giving me a dozen balls here and there. I would really love to give something back to him and show him how much I appreciate all he has done for me. Thanks for this opportunity!

my icon is my wife, she is the best, she lets me golf with my buddies once a week to keep her sanity. she sends me on a guys golf trip once a year. she buys all the wants in my golf list. took me to my first ever packers game in lambeau field, hooks me up to meet greg jennings, scott wells and william henderson. plus shes interested in golf too boot i am the luckiest man alive! she deserves these icon because she has the smallest feet and can never find golf shoes. size 4! small feet big heart.

My icon is my best golfing buddy, a retired Air Force guy. He is like a 2nd dad to me when my dad wasn't around. I look up to him being that he's about double my age and we do a lot more than golf (fishing, going to races, etc...). Him, never having been married and no kids, would undoubtedly consider me the son he never had as well. I'd love to surprise him with a pair of Icons.

My icon would be our local pro J. Anderson at Golf Club of Illinois. I recently started both of my boys in golf. My oldest who is 10 was on the range and J. made a point to stop what he was doing to come over and introduce himself. He then proceeded to give my son a quick free lesson to correct his fundamentals. My son loved every minute and J. certainly made a lasting impression on him.

I then had both my boys in J.'s golf clinic this summer and I once again got to witness his teaching style first hand. J. showed incredible patience and provided wonderful encouragement to each of the junior golfers in the clinic. My boys had such a great time and they are really enthusiastic about the game now - all thanks to J!

Driver  Callaway Mavrik 10.5* Project X Evenflow Riptide 50
Fairway Callaway Epic Speed 15* HZRDUS Smoke

Hybrid Cobra King F8 22* Aldila Rogue Pro 75

Irons Ping G425 5-GW Power Spec DG 105

Wedges Ping Glide Stealth 54*/58* Z-Z115

Putter Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 8 35"

Ball Bridgestone e12 Contact

My pick goes to my entire family, but since I can't pick all of them, I'll go with my father.

I picked up golfing on my own in highschool. My dad bought my first set of clubs. No one else in my family played golf until later on, but when we were on family vacations and sitting around the house, they would always want to head to the course to watch me play and support my passion.

My dad doesn't play golf, but he loves to caddy for me when he can and head to the course for a practice round. He understands golf and is the greatest caddy on the planet!

Golf is a game of sacrifice on the golfer and the ones closest to that person. My father has sacrificed work time and money to show his support. It makes following a passion easier when you have a strong support system like I do.

My golfing Icon is my cousin James. Being the first born in my family my cousin James was always like an older brother to me. I wanted to be like him in every way. Everything that he did I wanted to do too and when I found out that he was picking up the game of golf I surely wanted to follow. I was 12 years old then. Now at age 23 I am a golf professional aspireing to be a PGA professional and be able to teach the game of golf that I fell in love with, all because I wanted to be like my cousin James....

Cobra Bio Cell + 661 speeder
Big Bertha 3w Fuji 8.3TS X
Apex Pro 2-PW C-Tapper X
Satori wedges
Machine M20
WITB Link

My icon would have to be my youngest son Brandon. While both of my boys play golf, the game has been more of a common denominator with him. Whenever we had those stressful father - son times it was always golf or hunting that brought us back to common ground. He now lives in Norman, OK and I do not get to play with him like I did when he was closer to home so the times on the course are even more special. He has recently been challenged by the state of the economy like many Americans and I have done what I could to assist him. With all of that going on in his life whenever we talk the topic of golf is always included. During the weekend of July 4th I was lucky enough to visit him and he and I played Jimmy Austin Golf Course at Oklahoma University. The USGA had been grooming the course for several weeks for the Amateur Public Links tournament and we thoroughly enjoyed our outing with both of us playing extremely well. This will always be one of those father - son memories you keep forever.

My icon would have to be my youngest son Brandon. While both of my boys play golf, the game has been more of a common denominator with him. Whenever we had those stressful father - son times it was always golf or hunting that brought us back to common ground. He now lives in Norman, OK and I do not get to play with him like I did when he was closer to home so the times on the course are even more special. He has recently been challenged by the state of the economy like many Americans and I have done what I could to assist him. With all of that going on in his life whenever we talk the topic of golf is always included. During the weekend of July 4th I was lucky enough to visit him and he and I played Jimmy Austin Golf Course at Oklahoma University. The USGA had been grooming the course for several weeks for the Amateur Public Links tournament and we thoroughly enjoyed our outing with both of us playing extremely well. This will always be one of those father - son memories you keep forever.

I must say that being the son of the great guy above that he would have to be my ICON - starting me out at a very young age, taking me to Jr Golf and always allowing me to tag along on those days out at the country club. Golf is truly one of the things that we talk about on a daily basis, and when I shoot those great rounds - I call him before the golf shoes are even off my feet.

Titleist 917 D3 - 9.5*
Tour Edge Exotics EX 9 - 16.5*
Bridgestone 2H - 19*
4-8 Iron Titleist 718 AP1 w/ Project X PXI 6.0
8-PW Titleist 718 AP2 w/ Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 52* & 58*
Putter changes too often to keep up with

Without a doubt my Dad. It isn't that he taught me the game, he showed me how anything is possible and to never give up.

My father became very ill about 16 years ago. To this day, they still haven’t identified if it’s a form of ALS or MD. When he 1st became ill, he could barely move. He had severe muscles spasms that created intense pain and made physical therapy almost impossible at times. However, with the right medicine, physical therapy and his amazing ability to not give up, he has been walking for years now.

When I got out of college, I decided to start playing Golf again. I dabbled before college, but never competitively. My father also played off and on until he became ill. My father saw how much I enjoyed the game and wanted to get back into it. Many thought Golf would be IMPOSSIBLE for him to play. He literally had to relearn the game and learn to swing within his limits. Watching him fight through that 1st round of Golf was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen. The man just won’t quit.

This will now be the 3rd season, since 1st coming down with his illness, that he is playing Golf. He played 50 rounds of Golf last year. He went from a mid-90s shooter to being consistently in the 80s. He has already broken 80 twice. He pushes me to get better and ALWAYS wants to play. This has led me to move from an 18 handicap in 2004 to a 2 handicap today.

So why do I feel my father deserves a shoe upgrade? Given this opportunity, the least I could do is tell my father’s story about his return to Golf and what effect it’s had on my life. The time we have spent together on the course is priceless. I hope that a wonderful new pair of shoes can help keep him on his feet for many more years to come, so we can continue to enjoy our time together.

Well, I would like to win a pair of Icons for my younger brother. He has been a victim of hand-me-downs for years and it would be awesome to hand him a pair of brand new Icons for him to sport on the course. He works hard and I know he would never buy them himself, it would be great to suprise him!

Big thanks to Golf WRX and FTJ for yet again another great contest!