Tiger Ducks TNT Interview

BigSwooshDuffer

Since the Golf Channel has been playing Norman's meltdowns for the past week, one thing that struck me was that no matter how bad the day was, he would talk to the press. He wouldn't cry about cameras snapping in his swing or that it was anyone's fault but his own.

Some of the younger golfers need to learn from Greg Norman.

No doubt, if anyone had a reason to act like a baby it was him.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As fans of golf, we try very hard to relate to the best players in the world. Mainly because golf is the only sport that fat, skinny, tall, short, people can play and enjoy. Other sports like hockey, football, baseball, and basketball are very hard for the average-joe to relate to the olympians of the world.

With that being said, fans appreciate when they can get-to-know players better through on-camera interviews. More so I think in golf. Just like some of the on-air commentators have mentioned, it wouldn't hurt the players to acknowledge the fans more often.

Would some of you fan agree that the sport of golf would become more popular if the pro's would be more friendly and not so distinctively seperate themselves from the rest of the lowly public?

I don't know if Tiger is contractually obligated to speak to the press before/after each round, but it is sad that during a major championship he dosn't want to talk to his fans.

915D2 9.5deg, Rogue Silver 70S
915F 15deg, Rogue Blk 70S
18deg, 24deg AdamsPro Gold Boxer Altus S
Vapor Pro Combos 5-PW PXi 6.0s
56deg, 60deg Scratch 1018 Forged DD
Cameron Select Newport 1.5

There's an "implied" commitment to talk to the press at a major golf tourney when you're the #1 athlete in the world. Even if he offers nothing, which is usually the case and is fine, he should show respect to the people who indirectly give him his hundreds of millions. Without the fans, some of whom hang on his every move/swing/round, he's just another yahoo walking around hitting a ball with a stick.

This kinda reminds me of the movie stars who wanna be totally left alone to the point of fighting with photographers, fans, etc. until they have a movie coming out. Then they want to show up everywhere and be seen as much as possible. With all that dough come some hassles, sorry. Just the way it is.

HE did give comments regarding his round. Prob at the press tent, they are within this article:

Woods rues lost scoring opportunities after opening 71

Tiger Woods couldn't take advantage of the perfect conditions Thursday, posting his first over-par opening round in an Open since 2003. As at Bethpage, his biggest problem was his putting.

By T.J. Auclair, PGA.com Interactive Producer

TURNBERRY, Scotland -- Turnberry was as benign as could be and the sun was even shining on Thursday morning, making it prime for low scores in the first round of the 138th Open Championship.

Tiger Woods, however, couldn’t take advantage.

The world’s No. 1 player shot a 1-over 71 to start the Open Championship, digging himself a deep hole. Tom Watson, the 59-year-old, five-time Open Champion, posted a 5-under 65 for the clubhouse lead about an hour before Woods finished.

The 71 by Woods is his first over-par opening score in the Open Championship since he shot a 73 at Royal St. George’s in 2003 on his way to a tie for fourth.

“Well, I certainly made a few mistakes out there today,” said Woods, who is looking for his fourth Open Championship win. “Realistically, I probably should have shot about 1 or 2 under par today. But I made a few mistakes, and consequently I'm at 1 over.”

The same thing that plagued Woods at the U.S. Open got him again in the first round at Turnberry -- a balky putter. There were several times on Thursday where he just missed on putts inside of 12 feet.

“You've just got to be patient out there,” said Woods, who had 30 putts total in the first round. “This golf course, certainly you could shoot a good round today. You saw a lot of guys at basically 3, 4, 5 under par. And that's what you could do out there today.

“The wind is down. Most of the pins are accessible. Not all of them, but most of them,” he added. “If you get it in there, you can make some putts out there today, because obviously the wind is not really blowing yet.”

Woods’ round got off to a promising start when he made a short birdie putt on the second hole to quickly get to 1 under. But, he gave the birdie right back on No. 3 with a bogey after finding some rough off the tee.

“Unfortunately on the range, my misses were right,” he said. “And I tried not to miss it right on 3. I didn't do that, and consequently I hit it left. The misses I had were the same shots I was hitting on the range. So I need to go work on that and get it squared away for tomorrow.”

Woods made his second bogey of the day on the par-4 10th hole, followed by bogeys on Nos. 15 and 16. To cap the day off, Woods was only able to salvage a par on No. 17, the lone par 5 on the back nine.

Hitting mostly irons off the tee, Woods’ hit just 8 of 14 fairways on Thursday and hit 12 of 18 greens.

“The irons I was hitting out there today was because the wind was down,” he said. “Most of the holes I normally would be hitting 3-wood. No wind, the 2-iron goes the to the same spot. We were just playing to the same areas, whether it's 2-iron, 3-wood, whatever it may be, we're playing to certain spots, how we think the golf course should be attacked and played.”

How about 'crowd ducks Tiger's irons'?

Everyone has a bad round now and again, but why in the world according to garp does Tiger have to keep throwing his clubs? It just makes him look like a weekend hacker. Show a bit of class please Mr. Woods - and take the interview like true professional while you're at it.

I wouldn't talk to the media if I played like that either. Today was one of the calmest days ever at the Open according to Stewart Cink.

You wouldn't take a 71 at the Open?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I'll be the first to jump on Woods when he does something bad, but this isn't it. He doesn't have a post-round commitment to TNT.

This is another case of a mediot who is trying to make themselves the story by ripping on a guy who exercised his right not to talk to them. It would be amazed if it weren't so pathetic how thse guys who on one hand claim to be objective have no problem pushing their opinions about guys, opinions which are based largely on how much they will talk to them.

Somewhere along the way someone lost the ability to distinguish news from whatever this is.

I would also be quick to criticize Tiger, but this doesn't bother me.

The next interesting greenside interview that I see will be my first.

Exactly! What I used to like about the old Tony Korneheiser radio show is that he wouldn't interview athletes or coaches because they have NOTHING to say. Please Tiger, stop talking to all the press so I can watch golf on North American tv again!

Everyone has a bad round now and again, but why in the world according to garp does Tiger have to keep throwing his clubs? It just makes him look like a weekend hacker. Show a bit of class please Mr. Woods - and take the interview like true professional while you're at it.

Lot's of PGA tour players throw clubs. I saw Payne Stewart throw one at the Freeport McDermott classic at English Turn. I'm sure many others around here have seen tour players throw clubs.

Frankly, I don't think anyone should ever be compelled or feel compelled to talk to the media--at least not until the media returns itself to the days when it did its job responsibly and with courtesy and taste. How many times do we see the media get in the face of someone who just suffered a tradgedy? And how about when the media reports troup movements and other military matters in advance? Plus, the media edits what they learn and often editorializes in its "factual presentation." I, for one, am just tired of it and when someone "disses" the media, so be it.

Lot's of PGA tour players throw clubs. I saw Payne Stewart throw one at the Freeport McDermott classic at English Turn. I'm sure many others around here have seen tour players throw clubs.

True. But not with the same monotonous regularity of the world's number 1. Judging by the way that everyone seems to emulate his every move, it won't be long before half the golfing world deem it 'OK' to throw their clubs. It's cringeworthy viewing from a professional.

I'm tired of this half-a$ chucking a club at the bag -when's the last time someone really let go & gave it the full "helicopter" ride a la Tommy Bolt!?

Well Pat Perez tried snapping one over his knee and beating the earth full force. That would be great if someone let their putter fly, have to finish the round with and 8 iron lol.

I'm tired of this half-a$ chucking a club at the bag -when's the last time someone really let go & gave it the full "helicopter" ride a la Tommy Bolt!?

Well Pat Perez tried snapping one over his knee and beating the earth full force. That would be great if someone let their putter fly, have to finish the round with and 8 iron lol.

Don't players just drown the putter at a pond near the 18th green nowadays, a la Charley Hoffmann last year?

Don't players just drown the putter at a pond near the 18th green nowadays, a la Charley Hoffmann last year?

Follow Woody Austin around on a rough day. You'll see all types of awesome meltdowns.

Like another poster said...there could be any number of reasons Tiger wasn't able to make the interview. A few would be excusable...family problem, etc.

Bad play?? Definitely NOT excusable...for Tiger or ANY other Tour player. Professional golf, just like any other professional sports, is purely entertaiment.

We all pay big money to keep this dudes rollin' fat, and we (the fans and end-all check-signers) deserve to have answers to our questions. We're paying Tiger or ANYbody else's wages...which to me says WE should get what we want, within reason, of course. Such as a post-round interview.

A Tour player skipping one because he's pissed off oughta take a look at the big picture...that being that he and his fragile ego are just not that damn important. Talk to the media...

Quite simply, one of the dumbest posts I have ever read on GolfWRX.

YES!!! Mission accomplished!!! :rolleyes:

Care to explain? If not that's cool...you don't have to. Because you owe me nothing...I do nothing for you, you in return are not obligated to do anything for me.

Not the case with Tour players...we all make them what they are. Yeah, they play unbelievably well...not the point. Without corporate America and fans they'd be unbelievably good weekend players. Make no mistake, it's because of us they have yachts and planes.

Question: Say you just finished a big presentation at work...your boss wants to talk about how it went. It's cool to just skip it? Not for me...shouldn't be for Tour players either. At work, your boss signs your checks. On the Tour...the public signs the checks. :partytime2:

Tiger owes you nothing but his best in each round he plays and he never gives less than his all. That is what you "deserve". If you don't like the sponsors who actually pay Tiger, then boycott them. Talking to some clown with a microphone with fake hair who couldn't break par if his life depended on it is not part of what "Tiger owes us". Who among us could ever live up to the constant scrutiny Tiger has to go through. I don't excuse his language but since everyone knows he lets fly with a GD once in a while, why don't the networks turn off the mic. I want to see Tiger play not listen to him recap his round.

The issue of Tiger talking or not talking to the media doesnt' bother me, it is just your post that is problematic to me.

Follow Woody Austin around on a rough day. You'll see all types of awesome meltdowns.

http://jtaplin.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/tommy-bolt.jpg

Like another poster said...there could be any number of reasons Tiger wasn't able to make the interview. A few would be excusable...family problem, etc.

Bad play?? Definitely NOT excusable...for Tiger or ANY other Tour player. Professional golf, just like any other professional sports, is purely entertaiment.

We all pay big money to keep this dudes rollin' fat, and we (the fans and end-all check-signers) deserve to have answers to our questions. We're paying Tiger or ANYbody else's wages...which to me says WE should get what we want, within reason, of course. Such as a post-round interview.

A Tour player skipping one because he's pissed off oughta take a look at the big picture...that being that he and his fragile ego are just not that damn important. Talk to the media...

Care to explain? If not that's cool...you don't have to. Because you owe me nothing...I do nothing for you, you in return are not obligated to do anything for me.

Not the case with Tour players...we all make them what they are. Yeah, they play unbelievably well...not the point. Without corporate America and fans they'd be unbelievably good weekend players. Make no mistake, it's because of us they have yachts and planes.

Question: Say you just finished a big presentation at work...your boss wants to talk about how it went. It's cool to just skip it? Not for me...shouldn't be for Tour players either. At work, your boss signs your checks. On the Tour...the public signs the checks. :partytime2:

Tiger owes you nothing but his best in each round he plays and he never gives less than his all. That is what you "deserve". If you don't like the sponsors who actually pay Tiger, then boycott them. Talking to some clown with a microphone with fake hair who couldn't break par if his life depended on it is not part of what "Tiger owes us". Who among us could ever live up to the constant scrutiny Tiger has to go through. I don't excuse his language but since everyone knows he lets fly with a GD once in a while, why don't the networks turn off the mic. I want to see Tiger play not listen to him recap his round.

The issue of Tiger talking or not talking to the media doesnt' bother me, it is just your post that is problematic to me.

Wow.......common sense!!!! Nice to see :partytime2:

Common sense? That's an interesting (and telling) interpretation. No one is 'owed' courtesy and sportsmanship. Many choose to show it anyway. The world would be a much better place if more did. Sadly, there are many who don't feel the need, or that winning alone is the measure of one's greatness. Outdated ideas, I know, but I'm a 40 year old man who grew up in a small town in the Midwest.

Common sense? That's an interesting (and telling) interpretation. No one is 'owed' courtesy and sportsmanship. Many choose to show it anyway. The world would be a much better place if more did. Sadly, there are many who don't feel the need, or that winning alone is the measure of one's greatness. Outdated ideas, I know, but I'm a 40 year old man who grew up in a small town in the Midwest.

Expecting perfection from Tiger all the time in all he does (on and off the course) is unrealistic. Tiger has done much more good in the world than bad so I say lets cut the guy some slack once in awhile. If that means he gets to blow off some goober on TV once in a while, I can live with it.

Courtesy and sportsmanship is not defined by talking to reporters after a round. If you look at Tiger and think he lacks both of these characteristics because he curses and does not always give interviews, then you're missing the picture.

Driver: Adams 9015D 10.5*
3 Wood: Nike T60 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 913H 19*
Irons: Mizuno MP58
Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Circa 62

Thanks for the clarification dude...but I'll respectfully disagree.

Tiger (and the rest of the Tour pros...this isn't about Tiger at all, he's one of many) owe us the ability to act like a professional. Doesn't matter that they're professional golfers...they're professionals. No different than your doctor, your insurance man, your mechanic, etc. Each profession has guidelines as to behavior, and a professional golfer's, in my opinion, includes talking to the media to give a storyline for the fans...the guys who allow said professional golfer to make a ridiculous living doing what he loves.

If a doctor's having a bad day can he just shun talking to his patients? The folks paying his bills? I don't think so.

Neither should a Tour player shun the media because he's pissed off that he just bogeyed 18. It's a GAME folks...a GAME that is driven, like it or not, by fans who pay. They pay to see golf, they pay for goods that keep sponsors in business, they pay.

Professional sports aren't about the atheletes...they're about the fans. And fans want (and have a right, in my opinion) to hear from the atheletes they're paying to entertain them after the event, round, etc.

I've got nothing against the sponsors bro...not sure where that came from??

So I disagree...but I don't think any of your posts are the "dumbest I've ever read on GolfWrx..."

I own that title!!! :partytime2:

When has Tiger displayed poor sportsmanship towards a fellow player?? It's his fault that the masses move after he finishes a hole? Tiger spouting a curse word makes him a poor sport? Might not be how you deal with things but it works for him...............Tiger does more than just win, but you can chose to spin this however you like............being from small town midwest and all :-)

Why is it that the head wearing the crown plays by different rules?why do we expect more or different results BECAUSE Tiger is #1? what about #137? is he not still a professional? Steve Pate and Dudley Hart have had bigger meltdowns; Woody is the master of it!!! Tiger skips out on one stinking interview and the world has a ka-nip!!! Get real!!!! last time I checked Cabrera and Glover won this years Majors and Jimenez was leading the Open..........T-68 and WE need a sound bite?

Take Tiger off the pedestal and stop expecting the unattainable................JMHO-YMMV-FWIW

At the US Open Monday at Bethpage, 99% of players coming off of 18 threw balls into the cheering crowd...smiled and clapped back at the grandstands. Tiger just frowned and walked away...to a very loud chorus of boos. I am now a Phil fan.

C'mon Tiger, pull your head out !!!...you aren't GOD !

:russian_roulette:

When has Tiger displayed poor sportsmanship towards a fellow player?? It's his fault that the masses move after he finishes a hole? Tiger spouting a curse word makes him a poor sport? Might not be how you deal with things but it works for him...............Tiger does more than just win, but you can chose to spin this however you like............being from small town midwest and all :-)

Why is it that the head wearing the crown plays by different rules?why do we expect more or different results BECAUSE Tiger is #1? what about #137? is he not still a professional? Steve Pate and Dudley Hart have had bigger meltdowns; Woody is the master of it!!! Tiger skips out on one stinking interview and the world has a ka-nip!!! Get real!!!! last time I checked Cabrera and Glover won this years Majors and Jimenez was leading the Open..........T-68 and WE need a sound bite?

Take Tiger off the pedestal and stop expecting the unattainable................JMHO-YMMV-FWIW

First off...for me this isn't about Tiger at all. It's about any Tour pro...

But, in response to your comments...Tiger IS NOT any "other" Tour pro, I think we all know and realize that buddy.

Tiger (and the rest of the Tour pros...this isn't about Tiger at all, he's one of many) owe us the ability to act like a professional. Doesn't matter that they're professional golfers...they're professionals. No different than your doctor, your insurance man, your mechanic, etc. Each profession has guidelines as to behavior, and a professional golfer's, in my opinion, includes talking to the media to give a storyline for the fans...the guys who allow said professional golfer to make a ridiculous living doing what he loves.

If a doctor's having a bad day can he just shun talking to his patients? The folks paying his bills? I don't think so.

Neither should a Tour player shun the media because he's pissed off that he just bogeyed 18. It's a GAME folks...a GAME that is driven, like it or not, by fans who pay. They pay to see golf, they pay for goods that keep sponsors in business, they pay.

Professional sports aren't about the atheletes...they're about the fans. And fans want (and have a right, in my opinion) to hear from the atheletes they're paying to entertain them after the event, round, etc.

So I disagree...but I don't think any of your posts are the "dumbest I've ever read on GolfWrx..."

Agree with who pays but Pros not talking doesn't affect the Fans esp. when a guy is T-68............Dr's talking to his pts can be LIFE or DEATH.........a little more serious than Sports

It looked like Ryo's caddie tried to get Tiger to sign his hat after the round... Tiger (and I don't blame him) kept walking... It wasn't the time or place for that... I am not a huge Tiger fan but I enjoy watching him play.. I don't think it is a big deal to skip an interview with TNT... He did do a short interview with the BBC (i think) and really didn't say very much.. He did have a nice comment or two about Ryo, but you could tell he was pretty steamed about his round...

Agree with who pays but Pros not talking doesn't affect the Fans esp. when a guy is T-68............Dr's talking to his pts can be LIFE or DEATH.........a little more serious than Sports

Right. Obviously the comment was a made tounge-in-cheek in order to illustrate a point. I don't actually believe that Tiger not talking to the media has the same type of effect that a doctor not talking to his patients might.