2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What would you do?? Cheating??

I played the other day with my wife's cousin. He's a real loudmouth and thinks he is better than he is. Anyway, he shot a par 72 that day and I was extremely impressed. He didn't even really talk smack or anything which surprised me. After we were done we went into the clubhouse and I was talking to another guy I know and he was inputting his score (he didn't think I was looking) and I watched him input a 108 instead of the 72 he actually shot!! tickedoff.gif He and his dad are obvious sandbaggers and do the same thing in bowling leagues and are no longer allowed to bowl at any local alleys now. Well my partner and I got stuck playing these two tonight in leagues and we both played very well. I am a 13 handicap and he is a 7 so we had 9 strokes total. I looked at the card when we started and these two have a 15 and a 14 so 29 total. We were giving these guys 1-2 each on every hole so total 2-4 strokes every single hole!! That's fine if you really play to your handicap but these guys are much better than that. I shot a 33 after my handicap and my partner had a 36 after his. We got destroyed!!! Afterwards we go in and eat steaks together with them and they are saying how we would have killed any other team blah blah blah. And I say yea but the other teams deserve the handicap they are given! So he then tells me that he shouldn't have played so good because now he is gonna go down to a 29 handicap instead of 30! tickedoff.gif His dad then says I'll make up for it in thursday leagues I'm gonna make sure I shoot a 60. I sit speechless the rest of the time because I'm furious. I would really like to talk to the pro about this crap but it is my wife's uncle and cousin and I do like both of them so I'm torn. What would you do??? Also these two shot a 18 under in the member-member tourney two weeks ago shocked.gifmodify_inline.gif

TM R1 w/ Fubuki Alpha Adams XTD ti 14.5 w/ red tie Adams Pnt 20* w/ Matrix Altus Nike Covert forged 4-Gw w/ Nippon SPB Betti BB54 Skull & Crossbones Vokey TVD M 54* & Scratch DW 58*

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='theironhorse' post='1847510' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:41 AM']no answer for you my friend. every league has their kind. i find it funny every week when someone nets out 10-12 under par in my local league, while i seem to shoot within +/- 3 every week.[/quote]

Yea I understand they are everywhere but do they all make it this obvious?? Most of the other members complain about them as well and nothing gets done. It's just stupid some people have no ethics at all.

TM R1 w/ Fubuki Alpha Adams XTD ti 14.5 w/ red tie Adams Pnt 20* w/ Matrix Altus Nike Covert forged 4-Gw w/ Nippon SPB Betti BB54 Skull & Crossbones Vokey TVD M 54* & Scratch DW 58*

Well, I would say, "The next time we play, we play scratch or we don't play at all. Then, and only then we will determine strokes on the back nine."

If that doesn't work, say this, "I know your better than your handicap, so we are going to cap the strokes given out. You get 75% of your handicap."

Or, "You can have your handicap, but you're playing from the tips, and we are playing from the men's tee. Or at least a 400 yard difference."

Or, "I'm a 36 handicap, soooo, you're giving me strokes now, kemosabe."

Personally, I would say, "Your handicap is bull, and I'll give you 2 a side, but your minimum score on each hole is -1. Meaning there is no such thing as Birdie for Eagle. Got it. You can only score -1 on any given hole. It's called reverse handicapping."

[quote name='philfan316' post='1847518' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:45 AM']Well, I would say, "The next time we play, we play scratch or we don't play at all. Then, and only then we will determine strokes on the back nine."

If that doesn't work, say this, "I know your better than your handicap, so we are going to cap the strokes given out. You get 75% of your handicap."

Or, "You can have your handicap, but you're playing from the tips, and we are playing from the men's tee. Or at least a 400 yard difference."

Or, "I'm a 36 handicap, soooo, you're giving me strokes now, kemosabe."

Personally, I would say, "Your handicap is bull, and I'll give you 2 a side, but your minimum score on each hole is -1. Meaning there is no such thing as Birdie for Eagle. Got it. You can only score -1 on any given hole. It's called reverse handicapping."[/quote]

How about they both put down par on a long par 5 and both get net eagles because they get two strokes on that hole while my partner actually birdies it and gets net birdie and I birdie it and get net birdie??? Doesnt make any sense. And people can say just play your game but when this crap happens you can play your game all day long and it isn't gonna do you any good because they cheat and have a million strokes to save them that they don't deserve!

[quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1847515' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:43 AM']I say kick 'em in the jewels and steal their wallets.

See how they like it.[/quote]

That sounds like a good idea however they are my wifes uncle and cousin so that might not go over too well. Not to mention they are both quite a bit larger than I so it would probably end up worse than it is now.

[quote name='codyp72' post='1847537' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:58 AM'][quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1847515' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:43 AM']I say kick 'em in the jewels and steal their wallets.

That sounds like a good idea however they are my wifes uncle and cousin so that might not go over too well. Not to mention they are both quite a bit larger than I so it would probably end up worse than it is now.
[/quote]
Then you've got to kick them [i]really hard[/i] and then threaten to do it again if they tell...

Just kidding (or am I?) :D

I think that philfan316 has the best idea. You at least put them on notice that you know they aren't being honest. It is really tough, but I think you've got to do something - you're responsible to watch out for the rest of the field too... they aren't just cheating you.

[quote name='codyp72' post='1847482' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:22 PM']I played the other day with my wife's cousin ... he shot a par 72 ... After we were done we went into the clubhouse ... and he was inputting his score (he didn't think I was looking) and I watched him input a 108 instead of the 72 he actually shot!![/quote]

Two words for you: Peer review.

This guy is a dumbass. Most sandbaggers will conveniently "forget" to record their low scores. This guy is stupid enough to post a phony score. Now there is a record of his cheating. You should contact the handicap committee and note this discrepancy. They should be able to sanction him and lower his handicap.

It's up to you. I know, family and all. F him. I hate scumbags like that.

[quote name='codyp72' post='1847571' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:14 AM']The problem is we all know what's going on and so does the pro, however the club won't do anything about??[/quote]

If I paid money to play in a league and lost to someone whom I and the pro knows is cheating I'd demand a refund. You don't have to say anything to the guys cheating, just the pro or whomever is running the thing. It's not fair to you or anyone else that pays to compete in something they can't win.

If you're worried about family issues maybe you can secretly let someone else in the league know what's going on and let them call them out. And that person needs to tell EVERYBODY.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

[quote]i see this with members at my course all the time. tournament winners shooting a net 52, once saw someone shoot a net 48...[/quote]

Wow! I've played in the Omni member-guest for the last 5-6 years and it always seemed like the members' handicaps were proper. I must have just had the good fortune to avoid the bad ones....so far. :(

Pretty much explains why I no longer play in net events and don't even belong to my club's golf association anymore (although someone posting a 102 when they shot even par is a bit extreme). With the exception of the club championship, all tournaments are net (prize is given out for first low gross and that's it) and everyone knows who the handicap cheats are (both sandbaggers and vanity), yet virtually nothing is done about it.

How's this for a story, one of the known cheats who is a 10 handicap is playing a better ball of partners match (net of course) and is one or two over through 15 holes where the match ends. He then proceeds to miss bogey putts on 16 and 17, then drives the 18th hole only to putt away from the hole (I kid you not) and 3 putts for bogey. His opponent gets in his face and tells him that he's carding a 4 on that hole for him.

[quote name='luxman' post='1848037' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:04 AM']Pretty much explains why I no longer play in net events and don't even belong to my club's golf association anymore (although someone posting a 102 when they shot even par is a bit extreme). With the exception of the club championship, all tournaments are net (prize is given out for first low gross and that's it) and everyone knows who the handicap cheats are (both sandbaggers and vanity), yet virtually nothing is done about it.

How's this for a story, one of the known cheats who is a 10 handicap is playing a better ball of partners match (net of course) and is one or two over through 15 holes where the match ends. He then proceeds to miss bogey putts on 16 and 17, then drives the 18th hole only to putt away from the hole (I kid you not) and 3 putts for bogey. His opponent gets in his face and tells him that he's carding a 4 on that hole for him.[/quote]
LOL...No kidding. I play in several events a year that have a gross and net competition. While I dont' have the game to compete in the gross portion, I have no illusions of winning anything in the net. When I as a 17 shoot 95 or 96 and see 13's shooting 75 or76, I know I have no chance. I just compete for myself to play and score the best I can and not worry about everything else.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='Johwak121' post='1848018' date='Jul 28 2009, 09:56 AM']Have you called them out?

I know they are in ur extended family but what they are doing is flat out wrong, and everyone is suffering from it.

Better to have you call them out (someone who could be a little nicer) then have some other jack@$$ at the course find out and really rip them a new one...[/quote]

Yea I give them crap all the time but generally try to be decent about it. However last night after the match while we were eating I said a few things and told them it is BS but they just plain dont care. After I give him some sh** about his handicap he then tells me and I quote: " 30 handicap...that's nothing. I'm gonna get it up to about a 36. (that is the max for our league)" I just sat there dumbfounded at the fact that he just said this in front of almost the entire league and even a couple of other guys were joking with him about it!! Everyone complains about them but won't do anything so I figure I'm gonna have to. BTW the pro was sitting in the dining area when this conversation was going on and there is no way that he didn't hear it!!

No "30 handicap" is shooting 72 on a regulation golf course and, or, posting a 108.

I do not believe any part of your story.

I played the other day with my wife's cousin. He's a real loudmouth and thinks he is better than he is. Anyway, he shot a par 72 that day and I was extremely impressed. He didn't even really talk smack or anything which surprised me. After we were done we went into the clubhouse and I was talking to another guy I know and he was inputting his score (he didn't think I was looking) and I watched him input a 108 instead of the 72 he actually shot!! tickedoff.gif He and his dad are obvious sandbaggers and do the same thing in bowling leagues and are no longer allowed to bowl at any local alleys now. Well my partner and I got stuck playing these two tonight in leagues and we both played very well. I am a 13 handicap and he is a 7 so we had 9 strokes total. I looked at the card when we started and these two have a 15 and a 14 so 29 total. We were giving these guys 1-2 each on every hole so total 2-4 strokes every single hole!! That's fine if you really play to your handicap but these guys are much better than that. I shot a 33 after my handicap and my partner had a 36 after his. We got destroyed!!! Afterwards we go in and eat steaks together with them and they are saying how we would have killed any other team blah blah blah. And I say yea but the other teams deserve the handicap they are given! So he then tells me that he shouldn't have played so good because now he is gonna go down to a 29 handicap instead of 30! tickedoff.gif His dad then says I'll make up for it in thursday leagues I'm gonna make sure I shoot a 60. I sit speechless the rest of the time because I'm furious. I would really like to talk to the pro about this crap but it is my wife's uncle and cousin and I do like both of them so I'm torn. What would you do??? Also these two shot a 18 under in the member-member tourney two weeks ago shocked.gifmodify_inline.gif

No "30 handicap" is shooting 72 on a regulation golf course and, or, posting a 108.

I do not believe any part of your story.

I don't care what you think! I played with him while he did it and then watched him post the false score. I am saying he is not a 30 handicap he is more like an 8-9 handicap. If you think noone cheats like this then you are very mistaken. I took the time to make up this whole long story and then type it up because I have nothing better to do?? Are you serious right now?

Yes, I am serious. For different reasons people do enjoy posting at golf forums exaggerated stories. For example , tales of 280 3-wood carries , 120 mph plus swing speeds, 6 hour rounds, sandbagging cheating etc....
In truth the guy carries his 3-wood 225, which by the way is a well struck shot. And the agonizing slow play day was not "6 hours" but more like 4:45, and the outrageous sandbagger is a guy who scores 79 but posts 85. But, since the truth does not sound all that impressive the poster decides to embellish.
Anyway, there is absolutely no chance that a player with the skills capable of shooting 72 is ever going to shoot 72 and then "post 102". If I had to guess as to what really happened during your round I would say your "8 or 9 handicap "u ncle had a good day putting, scored a true 77, and you looked over his shoulder to see him posting an 83.

[quote name='codyp72' post='1848167' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:10 AM']I don't care what you think! I played with him while he did it and then watched him post the false score. I am saying he is not a 30 handicap he is more like an 8-9 handicap. If you think noone cheats like this then you are very mistaken. I took the time to make up this whole long story and then type it up because I have nothing better to do?? Are you serious right now?[/quote]

You can think what you like... He shot a 34 on the front and then on 10, 11, and 12 (two par 4's then par 3) he shot 5 over for those three holes. He finished the back 9 with a 38 for a 72 total. Unless I missed my math class back in 1st grade that seems to add up to 72. Also this guy has no scores in the handicap system under 97. Did I ever think he was capable of shooting 72? No way. As I said in my first post he thinks he is much better than he is. However is he much better than his handicap indicates. I was just as amazed as he was that he shot that well. I am a 12-13 handicap and I had a couple of good days last year that I shot 75's with a couple of missed putts that I easily should have made and could have shot par. Do I think there is anyway that I am going to shoot par right now? No but some days just don't make sense.

[quote name='codyp72' post='1847537' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:58 AM'][quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1847515' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:43 AM']I say kick 'em in the jewels and steal their wallets.

[/quote]
Then don't steal their wallets. ;)

I guarantee that, after the kicks, they will be significantly shorter than you for a fair bit of time.

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='1848327' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:21 PM']Yes, I am serious. For different reasons people do enjoy posting at golf forums exaggerated stories. For example , tales of 280 3-wood carries , 120 mph plus swing speeds, 6 hour rounds, sandbagging cheating etc....
In truth the guy carries his 3-wood 225, which by the way is a well struck shot. And the agonizing slow play day was not "6 hours" but more like 4:45, and the outrageous sandbagger is a guy who scores 79 but posts 85. But, since the truth does not sound all that impressive the poster decides to embellish.
Anyway, there is absolutely no chance that a player with the skills capable of shooting 72 is ever going to shoot 72 and then "post 102". If I had to guess as to what really happened during your round I would say your "8 or 9 handicap "u ncle had a good day putting, scored a true 77, and you looked over his shoulder to see him posting an 83.[/quote]

Rope, you give meaning to the word obnoxious.

Or should you be referred to as Frozen Troll?

The OP's story can't possibly be true. Nobody shooting 72 "posted 102". Now in his most recent post the OP is claiming his uncle the 30 handicap played the final 5 holes 3 under ? Calling bs is not "trolling", it's keeping things real.

[quote name='matthewb' post='1848472' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:22 PM']Rope, you give meaning to the word obnoxious.

Or should you be referred to as Frozen Troll?[/quote]

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='1848483' date='Jul 28 2009, 01:28 PM']The OP's story can't possibly be true. Nobody shooting 72 "posted 102". Now in his most recent post the OP is claiming his uncle the 30 handicap played the final 5 holes 3 under ? Calling bs is not "trolling", it's keeping things real.[/quote]

It's certainly possible to shoot a 72 and then post a 102. You don't know how this particular club operates or not.

I'm not saying that the OP is entirely accurate.

But you're making some assumptions that you can't back up.

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='1848483' date='Jul 28 2009, 01:28 PM']The OP's story can't possibly be true. Nobody shooting 72 "posted 102". Now in his most recent post the OP is claiming his uncle the 30 handicap played the final 5 holes 3 under ? Calling bs is not "trolling", it's keeping things real.

[quote name='matthewb' post='1848472' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:22 PM']Rope, you give meaning to the word obnoxious.

Or should you be referred to as Frozen Troll?[/quote]
[/quote]
I don't understand your confusion on the subject. Do you think it's physically not possible to type in "102" into the computer when posting your score, or do you think nobody who shoots 72 would have the nerve to post a 102? (Note, the guy entered 108, not 102, but I digress).

Have you not read the giant thread on cheating?

Hell, people murder each other every day, so it's not a stretch to think that someone would purposely post a wrong score to jack up his handicap.

The 2nd problem in this whole thing is the league who continues to put up with this crap. Make it simple, kick the guy out.

I am not confused by the subject. The OP's story is an extreme exaggeration of whatever did actually happen. That's it, pure and simple. Frankly I am surprised so many on this forum believed his tale. Anybody who shoots 72, or knows someone who shoots par golf, understands a 72 scoring player is experienced, has some skill, has some respect for the game, and would never artificially inflate his posted score by 30 shots. Yes, there are some handicap cheats who may add a few shots to turn a 6 handicap into a 9, and lots of posers who deduct a few shots when posting to turn a true 5 handicap into a 2 for bragging purposes, but nobody with any golf skill is adding 30 shots. It just would never happen.

[quote name='larrybud' post='1848647' date='Jul 28 2009, 01:30 PM']I don't understand your confusion on the subject. Do you think it's physically not possible to type in "102" into the computer when posting your score, or do you think nobody who shoots 72 would have the nerve to post a 102? (Note, the guy entered 108, not 102, but I digress).

Have you not read the giant thread on cheating?

Hell, people murder each other every day, so it's not a stretch to think that someone would purposely post a wrong score to jack up his handicap.

The 2nd problem in this whole thing is the league who continues to put up with this crap. Make it simple, kick the guy out.[/quote]