2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

where to get a membership....

Pingman222

edmonton
so golf in edmonton has come to a point for me where im thinking of membership opportunities for next season. Since i work until about 4 everyday on weekdays, im looking mostly to play weekdays of course after 4, and on weekends anytime as well is fine with me.

I've never played at jagare, and have heard some mixed things, however, their intermediate membership rate is pretty intrigueing to me.

I would have got one at twin willows since they are a short drive from work, but of course, they tell me that next year they're only going to do punch cards and have no memberships.

Anyone else think of anything that might be the right fit for me?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagare is always in great shape, pros treat members well, and practice facility is top notch....but I wouldn't join unless you like hitting irons off the tee, and are happy to only hit driver 3 times in the round....seriously I'm not joking.
It's a short, goofy, target orientated golf course. 3 drivable greens from the "tips" (one where the layup area is so narrow, you are better off the driver it over the dogleg....a few holes where you can only hit 6I off the tee....then need to rip a 18* hybird or 3w into the green, etc.

If you are ok with driving 15mins further south I hear Redtail has some pretty good rates for what you are looking for.
For some reason I remember $1800 for the membership you are looking for (obviously no primetime weekend golf)....but I could be wrong as I haven't kept up with membership rates across town and ca only go off what others have told me.
Great layout, and one of the best (if not the best) practice facility in town. (minus a couple private courses) Does get windy though.

Twin Willows is a goat trail....depending on your age, you also might want to look at some private courses...as most have some sort of "intermediate" rate in hopes that you will buy a share and join when you reach "of age."

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

• 5 months later...

Reconsidering Jagare. After reviewing the website, hbear is right on. Even for a mid length hitter like myself, I think I'd pull driver on only 4 holes. Could get boring if it's the only place I play all season.
Anyone know, does Red Tail offer a walkers membership? I try and avoid courses that are powercarts only.

Redtail doesn't offer any "walk only" deals...actually they frown on walking there believe it or not.

But to echo my comments above Jagare is always in fantastic shape, has a great practice facility (the other end of the range for members only has a 110 yard pratice hole with bunkers and is kept in the same condition as the course).

Tyler and the rest of the pros are top notch and treat members like gold, food is good, etc.

It's target golf for sure, but worth a play and who knows you might like it. It does have some great holes, unfortunately the goofy ones ruin it for me.

Depending on your age you might also consider intermediate/senior intermediate catagories at the private clubs.

I know a few guys that do the VIP Golf thing as well...might be worth it depending on how many rounds you play and where yo play.

Leduc is pretty short.
Course conditions are hit and miss. Don't expect lush fairways.
Course is pretty straight forward, lots of good holes, but some not as good. A couple drivable par 4s, some decent par 3s (minus the 190y one to an elevated turtleback green with drop offs all around), and good true risk reward par 5s.

Although there are trees, there isn't a lot of danger on the course. Wail away on the driver and have a lot of wedges coming in.

Head Pro is a great guy and has done a lot for the membership.

Nice thing is the course limits the morning tee times on weekends to members only. (allotments done by a pseudo draw)

As mentioned above, you'll want to play it before you commit.

Personally I wouldn't be happy playing there all the time...but if cost is a factor I don't think you will find much cheaper.

Some of your decision depends on where you live. The further you have to drive, the fewer rounds you may be able to get in. The biggest decision is how much money are you willing to spend. Blackhawk is where I would play, Mayfair is great. The Derrick is on that end of town and has a great membership. I've played as a guest there a number of times and had a great time with the members. Not sure what they have for openings. Jagare isn't a great layout. The Dorchester Chuckwagon family routed a better course themselves at Pigeon Lake without formal golf architecture training.

Blackhawk is the course with the BEST course care in the city...by far. Al does a great job getting it to look just pristine.
Fantastic clubhouse, amazing locker room, and amazing food.

Lots of great holes, but a few goofy ones as well. Design takes a bit to get used to (e.g. with front pin, land ball 15 yards short, on 11 approach with 3 less clubs and aim at the hill on the left and pray your ball holds the green., etc.) With such a small membership not a lot of play. Very small transfer fees so it's priced very well...just a bit out of the way depending on where you live.

Derrick, I know some guys that like it, but I think the layout is terrible. Nevermind how the "membership" is pretty much a giant transfer fee with no share value. So you get nothing back if you chose to leave or get rid of your share.

But the nice thing about our city is we have SO many courses to choose from, and each suits a different type of player.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='hbear' date='30 March 2010 - 01:19 AM' timestamp='1269926356' post='2349527']

Tyler and the rest of the pros are top notch and treat members like gold, food is good, etc.

[/quote]

I was a platinum member along with 2 other friends at redtail landing last year, we consistently received such poor treatment from most of the staff there we all elected to play public this year. bunch of tools running the show there IMO.

[quote name='zeedub' date='17 April 2010 - 11:56 AM' timestamp='1271526965' post='2385042']
[quote name='hbear' date='30 March 2010 - 01:19 AM' timestamp='1269926356' post='2349527']

[/quote]

I was a platinum member along with 2 other friends at redtail landing last year, we consistently received such poor treatment from most of the staff there we all elected to play public this year. bunch of tools running the show there IMO.
[/quote]

Tyler is at Jaeger....you are thinking about his brother Chad @ Redtail.

thanking my lucky stars, i was able to get into blackhawk as a sponsored intermediate this year. have already played 3 rounds and spent lots of time in the range and short game area, and i love this place. locker room/club house is excellent, and the course conditions for being mid april is already looking better than some courses in prime season. All the staff are awesome, and overall i've had a pleasant time for my 1st week as a member. Still having a heck of time getting used to the wind conditions out there, and some of the holes, but i really like the course layout. Alot of tee shots are pretty forgiving for landing areas, but approach shots for me have been very challenging. I also have walked all my rounds so far as well, and there are some tough portions, but for the most part it is a nice stroll by the river. Also very nice to be able to book tee times pretty much whenever, without having to ballot. pace of play is excellent too, walked as a single in 3:15, no rounds over 4 hours yet.

with that being said, if any of you guys would let to get together for a round, i'd be happy to have some company out there!