Weight lifting exercise for increased club lag? Help please

sere1999

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Rugger' timestamp='1282231086' post='2649024']
I think it's safe to say the golden exercise of any sport is the deadlift.
[/quote]

One of the moves in my work out is a clean n press into a squat..One I hate an love at the same time.One of the best core moves you can do.You combine this with pull-ups and you have covered alot of bases..
At 50 years old I Have learned the importance of a solid broad based excersise progam with tons of stretching.
I really don't have a set routine.I like to mix it up.I prefer to do lighter weights as not to hurt myself.When I feel strong I will go heavy with low reps.
The important thing for me is to listen to my body.So's not to hurt myself.I ride the bike a good hr at a clip or do the stationary when it's no so nice out for cardio.I mix up the pace pumping it hard for short bursts.Then pounding away heavy for a period then some high gear speed work...You get the idea.I do some plyometrics like jumping up the stairs a few sets.
I have enjoyed the benefits of a good workout my whole life.My goal to Lenghten that enjoyment for a long time also.
These things have definetly helped my game.Not sure of any measurable benefits but I am sure I am better because of it.
Like it is not unusual for me to carry for 18 holes then do 25 miles on the bike.Then maybe hit 2-300 balls later on...
Who ever said golf is not an athletic sport could not have been more wrong.

I've always tried to hit the ball as hard as I possible can which has led to some ugly tempo issues. I've developed a much more relaxed swing now but have really increased distance and control by focusing on forearm action. I'm really delivering the kick right on the back of the ball lately just through awareness of what my forearms are doing. I'm not working out currently but considering these exercise routines

Forearms:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJgNfYfFUPQ&feature=related[/media]

Core Strength:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqQA1SUifw[/media]

I believe the second video is what you'd call a high rep chain workout, right?

:bb:

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

Lag is passive and a result of a good pivot. Doing wrist curls etc. can help strengthen your forearms etc. which can help support the club head through impact but increase lag no. Stretching will help increase the range of motion in your writs which will do more for lag then just moving weights. Nothing wrong with weights I workout 5 days a week but you need to be balanced in your approach and keep stretching. IMOP work on your core and incorporate stretching movements that increase your range of motion throughout your golf swing and then go and bomb a drive.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='elliottriddell' timestamp='1300379758' post='3064033']
[quote name='justinp766' timestamp='1299739804' post='3042963']
bro, what you really want to do is heavy barbell rows with no straps.

Increase your rows from 135 to 275 and tell me you didnt add 35mph to your swing speed.
[/quote]

+1

barbell rows are the bench press of back
[/quote]

Ehh, barbell rows are good for your back, but I'd say deadlifts (done properly) are a whole lot better. Rows will never be better than deadlifts.

Instagram: @rsolson617

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='scifisicko' timestamp='1282095648' post='2646100']
Flexibility is as important as strength, you shouldn't start a heavy weights program without also committing to a program of stretching. Lots of guys work on strength, ignore flexibility and find their muscles shorten. You also need to work your strength program into your full swing. Building forearm strength alone might or might not be a great idea. If you already swing with passive arms and fight a hook you might be better off with an exercise that helps you turn your hips faster. Speed is also vital. If you build some strength and flexibility then work on your speed you will get the best results. A great aid for speed training is a shaft with a light weight on the end. Drill a hole in a golf ball and epoxy it to the end of an old shaft and work up to swinging it as fast as you can over a few minutes. If you dont have the time or the will to build strength and flexibility but can find 5-10 minutes a few times a week, just work on your speed. If you do it for 10 minutes three times a week you can expect to add around 5mph. You will also find you can see the track created by the white golf ball which shows you your swing path and the swoosh helps you find the right way to sequence your swing to hit max club head speed (ie not after you hit the ball). If you need more speed improvement than this than this you need to keep up the speed training but add the right workout and stretching routine.
[/quote]

A great way to increase your forearm strength is by using a weighted club. I bought a golfgym weight club. I'm a righty, using my left arm i perform as many takeaways as i can (up to the point where you hinge your rist). Just doing the single arm takeaways with a weight club will increase your forearm strenth. You can do it with your right arm as well, just do the exact opposite (don't want one side to be stronger than the other).

Most curls do a great job on the forearms. Overhand/Closegrip pullupss are great. Another option is to hold a weight bar palms facing down instead of palms up as you do with a curl. By doing it palms down it isolates your forearms, really good excersise.

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest swing speed numbers came from having a 445 DL , 275 Powerclean , 405 Squat.

I also never met a professional power lifter who did not stretch.

So dont get it twisted! Most of you guys are in denial thinking ...Oh I am just gonna work on this swinging this speed stick really hard and that should improve my swing speed.
If you are not focused on increasing strength and stretching then your wrong.

Tiger Woods and Gary Player both said that good swing speed lies in core strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFYL5eLM9w4&feature=related

i don't care how much you work out, some people have the genetics to generate arm speed, and some don't. why can some people throw a 100mph fast ball, and others can't even throw a ball 70mph?... and it doesn't matter how much they work out, the one guy will always smoke the other guy. being in overall shape is always a good thing, and strengthening the core means the body can support arm speed and maintain angles better. can lifting weights add distance, sure, but not as much as you might think.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='drewski24' timestamp='1280197556' post='2601134']
triceps, CORE, forearms and legs... boom...
[/quote]

Ditto but add in 20 minutes a workout of arm, leg, and core streatching with that.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1302975218' post='3159557']
i don't care how much you work out, some people have the genetics to generate arm speed, and some don't. why can some people throw a 100mph fast ball, and others can't even throw a ball 70mph?... and it doesn't matter how much they work out, the one guy will always smoke the other guy. being in overall shape is always a good thing, and strengthening the core means the body can support arm speed and maintain angles better. can lifting weights add distance, sure, but not as much as you might think.
[/quote]

Yes natural ability does help out, but using that as an excuse to not workout is dumb. Once again, justin is not saying that lifting weights is all you need to do. He said that stretching and actually practicing are very important too. Can you prove to me that weights don't help you hit the ball further? Since I began lifting weights, I've added 70-100yds to my drives; can you prove that it wasn't due to the weights? I just don't understand why golfers are so against getting stronger.

Instagram: @rsolson617