2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Are "staff" bags too pretentious for Amateurs?

If you have to ask then maybe it would make you feel "guilty" to own the staff bag.

I own two with my name on them, am I a pro? NO! I play to a 2.7 index but there are days I'll shoot 82-85, do I feel guilty with my staff bag? NO!

I could really care less what someone thinks about my bag, clubs or balls or the way I play, I'm there to play golf and not talk about if I should or shouldn't carry a staff bag, if you can get by this then buy one and enjoy the extra room for food, rain gear, extra balls and not having your clubs hang up getting them out of the bag.

I play a lot of tournaments and if I travel I will take a carry bag (I did this past year playing in the USGA Senior AM) was I worried about what someone thought? NO! It was lighter and easier to get in and out of the car.

Lastly (I know you're glad) play what YOU want and worry not about what someone else thinks. JMNSHO (just my not so humble opinion)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno -- I broke down and bought a used TM staff bag off the local Craigslist. It's a bit beat-up, and a monster to carry, but for riding on a cart it's perfect -- I can quickly rip the club I want out of the bag, and slam it back in.

Bag holds a ton of stuff, as well.

I prefer to walk, and will use my Grom, but the reality is 90% of the time, the circumstances dictate I'm in a cart, so f*ck it.

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098810' date='Dec 2 2009, 03:52 PM']Name on the bag is a different story. That is something earned. Attend a US Amateur. You will not see a single player with their name on their bag. Attend the NCAA tournament, you will not see a single player with his name on the bag. There is a code among the top level players. You don't have your name on your bag until you've earned it. Tiger and Phil got a thrill out of turning pro, signing endorsemnt deals, and finally getting their name on their bag. I promise you it was the first time they ever had their name on a bag, just like it is for every playing professional. It's a big deal for serious players to earn this achievement, a badge of honor.[/quote]

Bull. I've caddied in the US Am, Mid-Am and both the men's and women's Publinx. At every single one of those events there were multiple top level amatuers with their name embroidered on the bag.

25 years ago, there was an unwritten rule about that kind of thing. Now, not so much.

[quote name='bma725' post='2100248' date='Dec 3 2009, 09:02 AM']Bull. I've caddied in the US Am, Mid-Am and both the men's and women's Publinx. At every single one of those events there were multiple top level amatuers with their name embroidered on the bag.[/quote]

Naw ... you must have been dreaming or smoking something.

Did you write down their names and addresses so they could be informed that they were violating the "unearned" law? ;)

Hope none of them accepted that unearned invitation to Augusta National .........

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

[quote name='Buddyjay' post='2097277' date='Dec 2 2009, 06:55 AM']This topic has been done many times. I have seen people brutally critized (like me) because we say to "get and do what you want". Because I use a staff bag, I even had one member claim that I am trying to look like a pro! People like that just don't get it.
Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's just they way they present it sometimes crosses the line.

If you are going to feel "un-easy" or worry what people (on the course) are saying about you using a staff bag, then maybe you shouldn't. But if not, then by all means, get it and be happy with it. I have used the analogy many times, about the car you're driving. People will critizie your bag but they are driving Lexus, Benz, etc. If you want to drive the best, all the power to you.
If you want to use the best or flashiest equipment, in golf... same thing. NO ONE SHOULD EVER BE CRITIZED FOR WHAT THEY USE. Period.

I'm like a lot of members here. Use what you want and to hell what others think/say.[/quote]

well said

I love these threads. It shows how shallow some people are.

I have 2 bags.

One beat to hell, faded Ping stand bag from 15 years ago that I have had that long. I use it when I walk. By some of the comments on this thread, nobody would scoff at me.

But when I ride, I prefer to use my beat to hell Titleist staff bag I picked up for 40 bucks at a swap shop since it carries my stuff better when I'm not worried about weight. And then judging by some of the comments, I would then become a pretentious poser because I'm not a scratch golfer. I probably play to a 6 on a good day.

I can tell you right now, if you are ballsy enough to come up to me and make a snide remark to my face about my old beat up staff bag, please feel free to stick around for my laughter. And if you're cowardly enough to say something after I leave the proshop, then you obviously have some deep rooted self esteem issues, and aren't worth the time of day.

It's a [u]bag[/u] people.

I think it speaks to how obsessed we have become with image in this country. And it's pathetic.

Ping G410 LST 10.5* Tour AD BB-6
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 13.5* Kai'li 70
Callaway Apex Hybrid 18* Tour AD DI-85
Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW Nippon Modus 120

Callaway MDF 50* Nippon Modus 125

Callaway MD4 54*/58* Nippon WV125
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 Squareback

I have a Ping carry and cart bag. Love them for what they are designed to do. But, I'm still getting a Titleist staff bag from a fellow WRXer. I like the look and room for gear that they offer. I carry bug spray, rain gear, medical supplies, markers, food, drinks etc that add up to a lot of crap. Because, I never know what I need where I mostly play here in Florida/Georgia and Minnesota/Wisconsin summers. I play mostly Titleist because it suits my game. I'll wear any combination of hat/shirt/pants/shoes that I want to. It's about function. I like having my name on all my gear for any sport I play. I'm proud of my name and heritage. I intend on getting my name on my staff bag because there are quite a few similar bags on any given day I play. It's no fun when somebody walks off with your bag before your tee time!
It's not pretentious unless you create that aura about you. If your bag is worn out and looks like a bum should be using it, then show some self respect and get a new bag that'll serve your needs. I would consider that a sensible upgrade.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Diamana PD 60TX (D3) 8GF, 18GB 44.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

MG3 50*, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T24 60.12V, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Chrome Tour X

In general, there's a point where your golfing ability will rise to such a level that it will silence any detractors. When your game reaches this point, you should immediately grab a staff bag and embroid your name on the pocket. No one will give you a hard time because your ability overwhelms their objections.

Of course, if you apply that theory, at some point your game could advance to such a level that you could parade about the course in a speedo and knee high argyle socks without reproach.

Given that, it's probably best to not worry about what anyone else thinks and just carry what's appropriate and convenient to how you play or whatever you feel enhances your sense of style.

... You will never, ever , see a top collegiate or aspiring Tour professional ever have his name on his golf bag.

... Attend the NCAA tournament, you will not see a single player with his name on the bag.

Maybe it's ok for a her?

original.jpg

Just more proof. Let's see ... who said that line about listening instead of talking ... :busted2:

But of course, that's an ASU player. Maybe they don't count. But on the other hand ... didn't some guy named Phil go to school there?

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

... You will never, ever , see a top collegiate or aspiring Tour professional ever have his name on his golf bag.

... Attend the NCAA tournament, you will not see a single player with his name on the bag.

Maybe it's ok for a her?

original.jpg

EVERY high school and collegiate player I've ever seen, dozens and dozens, have had their names on their bags.

hum, I gotta call em like I see em..... and on this thread I havent really seen anything truly out of line, at least compared to the larger threads on this site....yet we get a moderator over here to toss the old WARNING

pretty weak to call this thread out when its OBVIOUS that perhaps a certain poster begs for certain types of DEBATE....

its even more obvious that 99.999% of any player would jump at the chance to play Augusta..... just as its really reaching to say that good college players or juniors would NEVER put their name on a staff bag....

when in fact most of the up and comers want exactly that type of sponsorship or recognition from the golf company's......

I'm with the "who cares what other people think" crowd. If you want a staff bag, get one. If you want your name embroidered on it, get it embroidered on it. The only reason I dont have one is because I have other bills and hobbies that take my money at the present time. I carry a 10.0 index, and most of the time lately, I play to about a 15 or so. If I want a staff bag with my name embroidered on it, it is no one's business but mine. If they dont like it, they can get bent. If they think I am posing as something I'm not, again, they can get bent. I dont need to "have the game to back it up". If I have the money to buy it, and I want it, I'll buy it. I drive a mustang, but I'm not trying to pass myself off as John Force.

I'm a "play what you like" kinda guy, but just be able to handle a ribbing from time to time. Back in the day before there were designated cart bags, and tour bags, I had a Nike hybrid tour/cart bag. It looked basically like a tour bag but had more club slots and a putter well. It was my first golf bag I ever bought and I thought it was really cool, but my friends who all had stand bags were constantly breaking my stones about it, calling me Tiger and what not. The worst however, is when we would carpool to the course and my bag took up 75% of the trunk. That's when I really got the rolled eyes and blank stares. I finally changed to a stand bag though once I started walking the course more. It's also much easier to get in and out of the trunk too, and I don't get the looks I do when we carpool.

I think it's all about what I need to carry. If I'm using a cart and need rain gear, an umbrella, extra balls, and the other odd crap that I might take to the course with me. I will take the staff bag. For me it comes down to utility. My Hoofer will only hold so much before it's pretty tough to pull clubs out and everything just getting in the way.

Maybe it's ok for a her?

original.jpg

EVERY high school and collegiate player I've ever seen, dozens and dozens, have had their names on their bags.

Every collegiate player I've seen had their names on their bags as well..

I think the obvious thing here is.. The people who DO have a problem with someone having a staff bag, are probably the same people who look at others with staff bags, or anything for that matter and consider THEM pretentious!

It could be said that anyone with new clubs, or anyone with shafts that cost over $150.. or stamping on their wedges...

What about the guys who buy all that Circle T crap? Tour issue? What about custom putters with the colors and stampings? Should you only be a single digit to get any of that?

It goes both ways.... Use what you an afford, and use what makes you feel confident and something you like. If the guy on the other end of the range thinks your a dork.. Who cares?

I look at it this way, if you ride alot then get one. Get your name on it if you feel like it. If you are going to carry it or make your wife carry it then get a stand bag.

I myself would like to get one, for riding carts and holding my extra clubs at home when not useing it. I prefer my stand bag since i walk 99% of the time.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I'm a 1.8 handicap right now. Took my PAT and missed by 5 shots, quit the biz before I got another chance. I was probably a legit 7 handicap when I took the test, I am sure I would pass easily now. Still, I don't feel bad at all gaming my 2008 summer bag. I have received free equipment in the past, never a free staff bag. If the companies really thought staff bags were that special and they didn't want anyone but a professional to advertise and represent their company, I don't think they would sell staff bags. Just my $.02.

[attachment=504241:My_Bag.JPG]

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='frozen_rope' date='Dec 2 2009, 04:52 PM' post='2098668']
Not true. Name on the bag is deifinitely an honor which must be earned. You will never, ever , see a top collegiate or aspiring Tour professional ever have his name on his golf bag. In the world of high level golf that is not done.
Name on the bag is for when the player has earned it as a professional.
Along the same lines, most top collegiates and amateurs aspiring to play professionaly will refuse an invitation to play Augusta, unless that invitation is an earned one, from the tournament committee, to play in the Masters.

Please tell us one person you know personally or otherwise who has turned down an opportunity to play Augusta National, the primary reason for his decision being that he wishes to protect his so called honor, which would be sullied from accepting a gift which has not been earned.

Everything in moderation my dear boy. Everyone knows the club poseur who has matching bag, hat, shirts, waterproofs etc. Many of them are strangely attracted to Titleist, and being brutally honest they look stupid. He will have poker stiff shafts, wedges ground down and claim he ripped it to shoot 81 on a flat calm day. If you have serious game let the clubs do the talking.

[quote name='nickylizzle' post='2103438' date='Dec 4 2009, 02:00 PM']Please tell us one person you know personally or otherwise who has turned down an opportunity to play Augusta National, the primary reason for his decision being that he wishes to protect his so called honor, which would be sullied from accepting a gift which has not been earned.[/quote]

Charles Howell.

I'm not trying to help the rope, but I do remember him saying it, and he grew up in Augusta...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' post='2103526' date='Dec 4 2009, 03:30 PM'][quote name='nickylizzle' post='2103438' date='Dec 4 2009, 02:00 PM']Please tell us one person you know personally or otherwise who has turned down an opportunity to play Augusta National, the primary reason for his decision being that he wishes to protect his so called honor, which would be sullied from accepting a gift which has not been earned.[/quote]

Charles Howell.

I'm not trying to help the rope, but I do remember him saying it, and he grew up in Augusta...

Kevin
[/quote]

whew......the rope needs a life line......nice toss.....however, If you do some research, I think you will find that Howell has said he was lucky and able to play Augusta several times growing up.....

final answer!!!!

The only issue I have with non professionals using staff bags is that when I have to share a cart with them I can't get to the snack pocket in MY bag because their BAGZILLA sized bag is encroaching onto my side of the cart.

It's like that time in college I got stuck in the single dorm bed with the fat staff chick.

I need my wiggle room!

610x.jpg

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2103540' date='Dec 4 2009, 02:36 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='2103526' date='Dec 4 2009, 03:30 PM'][quote name='nickylizzle' post='2103438' date='Dec 4 2009, 02:00 PM']Please tell us one person you know personally or otherwise who has turned down an opportunity to play Augusta National, the primary reason for his decision being that he wishes to protect his so called honor, which would be sullied from accepting a gift which has not been earned.[/quote]

Charles Howell.

Kevin
[/quote]

whew......the rope needs a life line......nice toss.....however, If you do some research, I think you will find that Howell has said he was lucky and able to play Augusta several times growing up.....

final answer!!!!
[/quote]

Hmmm, sorry for the bad information, I thought it was Howell, must have been someone else... Not looking to pick a fight. :drinks:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' post='2103548' date='Dec 4 2009, 03:40 PM'][quote name='OneBowTie' post='2103540' date='Dec 4 2009, 02:36 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='2103526' date='Dec 4 2009, 03:30 PM'][quote name='nickylizzle' post='2103438' date='Dec 4 2009, 02:00 PM']Please tell us one person you know personally or otherwise who has turned down an opportunity to play Augusta National, the primary reason for his decision being that he wishes to protect his so called honor, which would be sullied from accepting a gift which has not been earned.[/quote]

Charles Howell.

Kevin
[/quote]

final answer!!!!
[/quote]

Hmmm, sorry for the bad information, I thought it was Howell, must have been someone else... Not looking to pick a fight. :drinks:

Kevin
[/quote]

heck I never took it that you were picking fight.....

and I wouldnt rule out that Howell may have once said it..... Its not like that wouldn't sound good to somebody some time.....I mean, if I was there when he said it...I would simply ask him...WHY

I meant it when I said somebody needed to toss the rope a lifeline....

lets face it....If you really were a very talented golfer with aspirations of playing the tour.....and knowing that Augusta is the only host to a stationary MAJOR ......why the heck would you want a shot at it before you earned that RIGHT.......hehe

The only issue I have with non professionals using staff bags is that when I have to share a cart with them I can't get to the snack pocket in MY bag because their BAGZILLA sized bag is encroaching onto my side of the cart.

It's like that time in college I got stuck in the single dorm bed with the fat staff chick.

I need my wiggle room!

610x.jpg

lol...if that aint the truth.... i have a sun mountain C130.... and trust me....you do want to get your bag on the cart first.... honestly, I have so much junk in it....I cant even find what I'm looking for half the time!!!!!

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2103561' date='Dec 4 2009, 02:46 PM']heck I never took it that you were picking fight.....

and I wouldnt rule out that Howell may have once said it..... Its not like that wouldn't sound good to somebody some time.....I mean, if I was there when he said it...I would simply ask him...WHY

I meant it when I said somebody needed to toss the rope a lifeline....

lets face it....If you really were a very talented golfer with aspirations of playing the tour.....and knowing that Augusta is the only host to a stationary MAJOR ......why the heck would you want a shot at it before you earned that RIGHT.......hehe[/quote]

HeHe is right! Can you imagine how cocky (confident) you would have to be turning it down KNOWING you would be playing the Masters one day?

[b]WOW[/b] :lol:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='bphgolfman' post='2096463' date='Dec 2 2009, 02:21 AM']Thinking of turning in my well worn-out ping hoofer for a mid sized titleist staff bag for christmas. I work in a proshop part time and many of my friends and even my dad think it's a good idea. I only play pro v's and a cameron and wear some of their apparel from the company, so would that be enough to warrant the committment to a titleist staff bag? Myself, I was thinking of getting just a new model ping hoofer. At the US Am qualifier I played in last summer, I fit right in with my used up hoofer. So like the topic reads...too pretentious or just an upgrade?[/quote]

If you want it, buy it.

Either people don't care, like it, or are pissed of. Either way, you win!

The Titleist staff bags look great and are resonable expensive, but I think Pings are more durable.

Good luck!