When to NOT hit a provisional

I have a rules question regarding provisional balls. I play with a guy that seems to use them as practice balls. Any shot that wasn't as he intended and cannot be seen in the fairway is worthy of a provisional. This is a very annoying practice, especially when it is common knowledge at the course that it is highly unlikely one will lose a ball in bounds. Is there any rule against this?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='teamyonex' date='03 February 2010 - 09:22 AM' timestamp='1265210557' post='2224588']
I have a rules question regarding provisional balls. I play with a guy that seems to use them as practice balls. Any shot that wasn't as he intended and cannot be seen in the fairway is worthy of a provisional. This is a very annoying practice, especially when it is common knowledge at the course that it is highly unlikely one will lose a ball in bounds. Is there any rule against this?

[/quote]

Yes, there is a rule against doing that.

Decision 27-2a/2 covers this...
Question: A player's tee shot might be in a water hazard, but clearly it is not lost outside a water hazard or out of bounds. The player announces that, since his ball might be in the hazard, he is going to play a provisional ball and he does so. Rule 27-2a seems to prohibit a provisional ball in the circumstances. What is the ruling?

Answer: The player did not play a provisional ball which, according to the Definition of “Provisional Ball”, is a ball played under Rule 27-2 for a ball which may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds. The second ball from the tee was in play since it was not a provisional ball.

Also, Decision 27-2a/3 helps...
Question: In the absence of reasonable possibility that a ball is lost outside a water hazard or is out of bounds, may the player play a provisional ball?

Answer: No. If a player plays a ball under such circumstances, the ball is not a provisional ball but the ball in play – See Decision 27-2a/2.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

If there is a doubt in the player's mind that the original ball may not be found, he should hit a provisional ball. Both balls should be marked or numbered differently in case the player hits the provisional in the same area as the first ball. Hitting a provisional ball also maintains the pace of play. Much faster than driving or walking back to the tee box. Cheers!

Callaway Maverick SZ 10.5* Oban Devotion 7
Callaway Maverick SZ 15*  Ozik 8
TM Raylor 19* - Ozik 8
Mizuno H5 4-Wedge S300
Cobra AMP Forged 49*
Hogan 54* & 60*
Odyssey V Line Tank

[quote name='RAGING BULL' date='03 February 2010 - 09:40 AM' timestamp='1265211615' post='2224627']
If there is a doubt in the player's mind that the original ball may not be found, he should hit a provisional ball. Both balls should be marked or numbered differently in case the player hits the provisional in the same area as the first ball. Hitting a provisional ball also maintains the pace of play. Much faster than driving or walking back to the tee box. Cheers!
[/quote]

In general, or was that a response to the original question? I would have a problem with a fellow competitor hitting a provisional every time he misses a fairway. Smells like practice to me.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Thank you for your feedback. Decision 27-2a/3 seems to be most applicable. I agree that a prvisional ball is a good idea if there is truly a concern that the original ball is lost outside a hazard or OB. In the circumstance I encounter, that is clearly not the case, and the gentleman is using the provisional ball to iron out a kink. It sounds like a hard rule to enforce if a player is abusing the provisioonal ball rule. Thanks again.

[quote name='teamyonex' date='03 February 2010 - 08:21 AM' timestamp='1265214112' post='2224700']
Thank you for your feedback. Decision 27-2a/3 seems to be most applicable. I agree that a prvisional ball is a good idea if there is truly a concern that the [b]original ball is lost outside a hazard or OB[/b]. In the circumstance I encounter, that is clearly not the case, and the gentleman is using the provisional ball to iron out a kink. It sounds like a hard rule to enforce if a player is abusing the provisioonal ball rule. Thanks again.
[/quote]

Yes. If it's OB and clearly marked, or "off the course" into some houses, fesque, forrest or something hit the provisional. [b]You don't hit provisionals just because you think there is a 1% chance you maybe/might or possibly won't find your ball.[/b] The hard part about enforcing this rule, like other rules, is that you're going to seem like a jerk calling him out. I suppose if it causes you that much grief just don't play golf with the dude anymore. The fact that you took notice makes it a concern because his lack of ettiqute has taken your focus off your game and on to him. Tough call, good luck.

913D3 - Diamana D+ 72x
910Fd - Motore Sp. VC 8.2x
712CB - KBS Tour S+
SM4 - KBS Tour S
2014 Fastback
ProV1x

[quote name='teamyonex' date='03 February 2010 - 10:21 AM' timestamp='1265214112' post='2224700']
Thank you for your feedback. Decision 27-2a/3 seems to be most applicable. I agree that a prvisional ball is a good idea if there is truly a concern that the original ball is lost outside a hazard or OB. In the circumstance I encounter, that is clearly not the case, and the gentleman is using the provisional ball to iron out a kink. It sounds like a hard rule to enforce if a player is abusing the provisioonal ball rule. Thanks again.
[/quote]

My guess is your partner thinks what he is doing is perfectly ok with the Rules of Golf. It would be worth bringing the rule to his attention. Maybe he will choose to comply on his own without you having to do any actual enforcement.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Might be a bit more ok if you are playing new courses, versus the same course all the time. I play a lot of courses for the first time, with others, and sometimes you just don't know if an area is staked as a hazard, OB, or just thick woods and rough without markers. So it is not unusual for someone in our group to say something like "I'm playing a provisional if my original ball is lost or OB - but if we get up there and it is red staked then I will be taking the drop". Seems like lots of courses are coping with budget woes by cutting back on course markings.

[quote name='bermuda' date='08 February 2010 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1265657145' post='2236406']
Somewhat related, why don't pros hit provisionals? I can't recall a case where TV showed a pro looking for his ball, not finding it, then walking over to a provisional. They always go back to rehit.
[/quote]

While I have seen a provisional hit by a pro a few times, I think the reason you don't see it that often is that the pros have the advantage of having spotters out there in the landing area who signal if they see where the ball is. So between their hitting it straighter than me and having help finding it, there's much less need for a provisional. They also don't have to sweat it that the group behind them will complain if they have to go back.

I play a course where the rough is fescue. There are times throughout the year when the rough gets pretty high (think as bad or worse than US Open rough), and although it may not be "likely" that a ball missing the fairway is lost there is a good percentage possibility that it won't be found.