2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Elbow to navel

gvogel

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1358538022' post='6254757']
yikes...I don't want to think of my arms or hands at all on the downswing...esp as they relate to my body.

Just turn it and bust it.
[/quote]

Its been said on golfwrx before courtesy of iteachgolf. If your right elbow is not keeping relatively the same space from the torso then bad things can happen.

So when you're trying the left elbow/ navel feel monitor the right elbow. I've been making short swings with a nerf football above the right elbow as a test. Don't squish the football...but don't drop it either.

Also the more in the left arm is the more internal rotation you have to have to keep things lined up. Pretty sure it each wrote a book on golfwrx. Use the search function and add it up. Crazy. Tilting correctly and handpath thread covers some of what you're talking about. Stack and tilt no more has lots of Hogan.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1358541053' post='6255075']
[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1358539617' post='6254925']
[quote name='Stryker' timestamp='1358537702' post='6254717']
Are you sure that's not just the shadow of his arms creating the illusion of more space? Look at each frame leading up to :20.
[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure. His left arm is connected at the start, and then disconnects, creating a gap coming down.
[/quote]

I think the connection is deep and way up there, connection doesnt mean "plastered" against the torso.
[/quote]

By creating that gap coming down, Hogan opens up the triangle to the max so it can be slammed closed by the pivot.

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1358542264' post='6255205']
[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1358541053' post='6255075']
[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1358539617' post='6254925']
[quote name='Stryker' timestamp='1358537702' post='6254717']
Are you sure that's not just the shadow of his arms creating the illusion of more space? Look at each frame leading up to :20.
[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure. His left arm is connected at the start, and then disconnects, creating a gap coming down.
[/quote]

I think the connection is deep and way up there, connection doesnt mean "plastered" against the torso.
[/quote]

By creating that gap coming down, Hogan opens up the triangle to the max so it can be slammed closed by the pivot.
[/quote]
short swings with a nerf ball in the lead armpit are decent way to test it. Just to feel the correct part of the arm rolling at the right time imo

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1358540881' post='6255061']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1358539432' post='6254903']
[quote name='dairic' timestamp='1358539176' post='6254887']
Your not going to get stuck if your arms are in front of you. I think this could be a good feel for someone who tends to let the arms outrace their body. Most people don't have the patience to allow their pivot to bring their arms in a position to hit.
[/quote]

Yap, all depends on the chap's tendencies. If you have a good, hard pivot...I think holding your arms back is a bad idea. If you tend to be a flinger and have fast arms...then TD's idea might help to get the guy to be more rotational.
[/quote]

Yes, I think I am more of the flinger unfortunately :(
[/quote]

Fix it!

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1358544522' post='6255455']
I watched that.. YUCK

posted that because it demonstrates what i'm talking about about not letting that left elbow pass too much
[/quote]
"great drill for a golfer with slow arms" iteachgolf again lmao

Considering you had a steepening move before with a porshe pivot...id do it if I was you
I make practice swings from time to time like that. Watch the pivot stall and compare to his real swing. Big difference

[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1358539568' post='6254919']
This is one of the key concepts in my model golf swing. I refer to it as "left arm to chest angle" or "arm lag" or "left arm to right of mid-line until after impact". It is really the key to understanding the often confusing topic of "connection". We need a better word than that, something that actually describes the key move, which does NOT require a lot of upper arm to pec pressure, but does require that the arm lag angle be maintained until after Impact. The Arm Swing Illusion makes seeing this very difficult for most folks.
[/quote]

Makes sense.

Creating a lot of tension in order to achieve a given position is probably not a good idea. I've been watching mr. smooth (Greg McHatton) on youtube lately, and especially like the one entitled no up in the backswing. I'll post it here later. He shows a way to achieve a pitch right elbow by swinging the weight of the club without having to cram the elbow into the body. Very cool stuff. It's so fluid it's crazy. That's an example of hitting a position without trying to hit that position.

[quote name='dairic' timestamp='1358545670' post='6255563']
This is one of the key concepts in my model golf swing. I refer to it as "left arm to chest angle" or "arm lag" or "left arm to right of mid-line until after impact". It is really the key to understanding the often confusing topic of "connection". We need a better word than that, something that actually describes the key move, which does NOT require a lot of upper arm to pec pressure, but does require that the arm lag angle be maintained until after Impact. The Arm Swing Illusion makes seeing this very difficult for most folks.
[/quote]

Makes sense.

Creating a lot of tension in order to achieve a given position is probably not a good idea. I've been watching mr. smooth (Greg McHatton) on youtube lately, and especially like the one entitled no up in the backswing. I'll post it here later. He shows a way to achieve a pitch right elbow by swinging the weight of the club without having to cram the elbow into the body. Very cool stuff. It's so fluid it's crazy. That's an example of hitting a position without trying to hit that position.
[/quote]
armswing illusion. Sums up the golf swing period

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1358546408' post='6255631']
[/quote]

Makes sense.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah, it truly does! But not many fully understand all of the implications, ie on wrist mechanics, right arm mechanics, "connection", pivot stall vs pivot thrust, post-impact pivot thrust, secondary tilt, etc. I could write a book about it! (actually am writing a book about it).....

[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1358549182' post='6255915']
[/quote]

Makes sense.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah, it truly does! But not many fully understand all of the implications, ie on wrist mechanics, right arm mechanics, "connection", pivot stall vs pivot thrust, post-impact pivot thrust, secondary tilt, etc. I could write a book about it! (actually am writing a book about it).....
[/quote]

.My weak point is actually the downswing tilts. When you get ready to publish the book then let me know. Im all ears

[/quote]

Makes sense.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wanna give us a preview on the post-impact pivot thrust? :) Sounds like the last key I need to completely cure my spin out.

Will do, it is taking much longer to finish than I expected, but likely by Christmas. E-book and hard cover with a dvd. The tilt part is interesting since the arm lag and #2 tilt both shift the path to the right, so it is all about blending the arm lag angle with the proper amount of tilt to match, along with proper amount of shoulder girdle "open-ness" at impact. Change one and the other pieces of the puzzle are affected. The golf swing is a big 3D dynamic jig saw puzzle.

[quote name='Stryker' timestamp='1358550355' post='6256047']
[/quote]

Makes sense.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wanna give us a preview on the post-impact pivot thrust? :) Sounds like the last key I need to completely cure my spin out.
[/quote]

It's mainly "insurance" against pivot stall. But if you are spinning out with the left foot, you might be over-doing it!

[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1358550539' post='6256067']
[quote name='Stryker' timestamp='1358550355' post='6256047']
[/quote]

Makes sense.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's mainly "insurance" against pivot stall. But if you are spinning out with the left foot, you might be over-doing it!
[/quote]

Used to be if you were to draw a line from head to toe at the end of my swing from a face on view, my body line would look like this /. Now thanks to Dan Whittaker and working on my transition it looks like this I, straight up and down. A much more balanced postition. Still trying to get that nice curve the pros have at the end of their swings like this )

Sounded like post impact pivot thrust would give me that nice curved posted up finish. Definitely don't have a pivot stall. Probably just need to work on my transition even more. :)

[quote name='dairic' timestamp='1358551931' post='6256229']
It's important to extend out of your setup bend by the end of swing otherwise you end up looking like this <

That's why I don't like swing left as an intention. Swing to right field to get tilt and extension and stay connected to work the shaft left.
[/quote]

BLAHAHAHA wow great post. Cause and effect

Yes, Tee and I would guess that there are only about a hundred people in the world that actually know this to be a true fact. The Arm Swing Illusion is so strong that most folks sitll cannot see it when I first explain it/demo it at our golf schools. It takes about two hours of really looking while doing drills for folks to even start to "get it". I have been teaching this since 1996 and here are some of the reactions we get from students: crying with joy and falling out of their chair, crying with sadness and falling out of chair, "WTF, are you kidding me? I have been trying for 40 years to do the exact opposite of that! No wonder my ballstriking sucks!"

I think it really is the most important piece of the 3D mechanical jigsaw puzzle that is the golf swing. I have seen hundreds of 20 handicap golfers hit it like 5 handicaps within two hours of working on the concept, and 10 handicaps hit it scratch players.

BUT - it is impossible to accurately and completely describe using words alone, you really need in person instruciton on it to really "get it". The basic underlying paradigm is totally the opposite of the so-called "natural" golf swing that everyone starts out playing with, and most continue to play with as they get older.

Jim,
Is the Arm Swing Illusion, basically, that the arms don't move independently of the shoulders? So, when we see a pro/good golfer who pivot stalls and gets disconnected, the disconnect is actually the rate of rotation between the hips and shoulders, and the arms still do not act independently of the shoulders?
I know you just said it was impossible to describe, but is that a rough sketch?

The Illusion itself is that it "looks like" a good ballstriker is independently "swinging" his arms around his body, on both back and forward swings, ie upper arms moving themselves from the shoulder joint. When you are able to learn a good action, the arms are being moved by the shoulder girdle, ie a the two sides of the Triangle, shoulder girdle being the base. So RPM speed of arms and shoulders during Release until just after impact is the same, and both arms stay to right of midl-line, ie left elbow to navel, until after impact, when you let momentum pull the arms across mid-line to your left, but still in contact with your chest to some degree.

Not sure I quite understand your question about hip vs shoulder rotation, they are not moving at same RPM speed, shoulders are faster, but if a pro pivot stalls, almost always the arms are then moved across mid-line from momentum.The pivot energy leaks into the upper arms and moves them.

Most golfers are actually using their arm muscles to move the arms across mid-line and strongly believe that "everyone knows" that this is the most basic aspect of a golf swing. Hence the emotional reactions I described when the students start to see the truth.

[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1358635719' post='6261311']
The Illusion itself is that it "looks like" a good ballstriker is independently "swinging" his arms around his body, on both back and forward swings, ie upper arms moving themselves from the shoulder joint. When you are able to learn a good action, the arms are being moved by the shoulder girdle, ie a the two sides of the Triangle, shoulder girdle being the base. So RPM speed of arms and shoulders during Release until just after impact is the same, and both arms stay to right of midl-line, ie left elbow to navel, until after impact, when you let momentum pull the arms across mid-line to your left, but still in contact with your chest to some degree.

Not sure I quite understand your question about hip vs shoulder rotation, they are not moving at same RPM speed, shoulders are faster, but if a pro pivot stalls, almost always the arms are then moved across mid-line from momentum.The pivot energy leaks into the upper arms and moves them.

Most golfers are actually using their arm muscles to move the arms across mid-line and strongly believe that "everyone knows" that this is the most basic aspect of a golf swing. Hence the emotional reactions I described when the students start to see the truth.
[/quote]

Thank you, sir. What I meant about hip vs. shoulder rotation rate is that in Mahan's swing the shoulders and hips rotate at the same rate through impact (or at least they are close or appear to), where in Mickelson's swing, his hips slow down and his shoulders maintain speed. So,when Phil rotates his arms to close the club face, his right arm is disconnected at impact, giving the look of the arms moving independently of his shoulders. So, I was wondering if Phil's release typified how the Illusion is created?
I guess 'pivot stall' was not correct, but it was short.
Obviously, you know this, but the habit of not 'hitting with the arms' is one tough nut to crack!

[quote name='Crab Daddy' timestamp='1358637399' post='6261453']

[/quote]

Thank you, sir. What I meant about hip vs. shoulder rotation rate is that in Mahan's swing the shoulders and hips rotate at the same rate through impact (or at least they are close or appear to), where in Mickelson's swing, his hips slow down and his shoulders maintain speed. So,when Phil rotates his arms to close the club face, his right arm is disconnected at impact, giving the look of the arms moving independently of his shoulders. So, I was wondering if Phil's release typified how the Illusion is created?
I guess 'pivot stall' was not correct, but it was short.
Obviously, you know this, but the habit of not 'hitting with the arms' is one tough nut to crack!
[/quote]

Yes, I think that is correct. But there are swing styles that have more or less arm lag/connection than others, Phil uses a Throwing or Slinging style that has less arm lag than Mahan's style. So it is not all an illusion, some of what you are seeing is real.

Yes - very tough to totally eliminate all independent arm motion during Release. Very counter-intuitive. Those arm muscles want to "help out".

[/quote]

Great posts Jim once again and I see you have really found that. Just want to add few lines here:

More I make research, more and more I understand how big part of what we see is reactions to inner circle speed and directions changes. More I teach, more and more I see people who try actively produce those movements by muscular action.

So in other words, cross over release is not necessarily made by rotating the forearms, but more by lacking the ability to prevent that happen by inner circle movements.

So sliding to the left, early weight shift and many other things can be the reason for the player not to be able to keep on the rotation of the shoulders, which are at the main role in this case. There has been lot of discussion about hips, how they accelerate or decelerate, but more I look them, more I see that there is many ways to do it with hips, but no many ways with shoulders. They have to accelerate through impact, just opposite that kinetic chain theory tells us, to be able to keep that elbow at the navel. It's all in acceleration and high shoulder speed AFTER impact.

Damn... I got million of things to tell but not enough time... but Jim, if there is anything I can do to help you with your book, don't hesitate to contact me and you get all the help I can give. If you need some graphs to be used there, good or bad, just ask me.

[quote name='TeeAce' timestamp='1358669850' post='6263649']
Damn... I got million of things to tell but not enough time...
[/quote]

That's life in general.

But...take it from the 11 HC who learned a lot of the golf swing objectively before he could produce it. Setting up open feels natural. And crossover release feels and looks natural when you first watch tour players. 3d motion. Start to finish. Elbow to navel as a feel (regarding lead arm) may help some students. The Foley DVD pattern and the original Stack n Tilt pattern come to mind. The faster you straighten the arms aka down AND out the more the path goes right assuming on plane takeaway and bs. And as mentioned before if you are trying to fix a slice you cant just clean up path...you have to fix the face too. Playing good golf with a good path (lead elbow to navel or whatever your feel is) wont do jack without a proper face. Face for me relates to proper takeaway action, grip, stance and alignments, transition and linear intentions through release (usually too late but we all have a thought or feel on what we swing "to")

If a guy already has a decent face to body line relationship then some feels may appear as the "secret" (ala TD)

It is up to the golfer to have an idea on how far in depth they want to go with their quest for knowledge (or quit and give it to an instructor). It is then up to that golfer to assess how well they can achieve the desired path; and thus understand ballflight laws, and how they make certain shot shapes occur. Hands at impact are a reaction to the bs. So left elbow to navel changes things for most. What are your differences when you "feel" left elbow to navel? Ballflight, distance, etc?

As a golfer TA. strike some balls with this feel. Give us feedback. while your pattern has come under scrutiny by haters after you posted some vids on the tube I think you should bring it down to our level. Maybe even do a comparison vid on your swing with no thoughts, and left elbow to navel.

You may have an idea on what you think of as "ideal", you are also capable of making unbiased remarks regarding feels and alignments.