Ear piercing and golf ettiquette

[quote name='Borthwick' date='24 February 2010 - 04:24 AM' timestamp='1267007063' post='2273682']
I was a member in good standing in the organization represented by my avatar for 30 years, and we are the most uptight, conservative, girly-man despising organization in the world.

I'm also 53 yr old and a member of a private club. Wear your ear ring. I wouldn't care and if I were you, I wouldn't care about anyone who did. WGAF.
[/quote]

And thank you for those 30 years.

My son has been a member of that organization for 2 1/2 years. It kind of runs in the family.

[i][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000080][b]"People in a hurry, shouldn't play golf"[/b][/color][/size][/font][/i]

[color=#000080][size=2]Ping G400 9.5[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 5 Woods[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 4 Hybrids
Mizuno JPX 850 4 - PW, G, SW[/size]
[size=2]Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser 38"[/size][/color]
[color=#000080][size=2]Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black[/size]
[size=2]Bat Caddy X4r[/size][/color]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very old school, though I'm not 50+ yet.

Personally, I equate jewelry with makeup. A man wearing uncommon (eg: watches and wedding rings excluded) jewelry is like a walking around with eye liner, blush and lipstick applied.

Women are judged, rightly or wrongly, on their appearance. Of course, there is more depth to women and men may want to get to know about that depth, IF he is initially impressed with her appearance, style, sex appeal and grooming. For some guys their type may be a Barbie Doll, for others it may be a biker chick.

Men are judged on their inner strength, outer strength, toughness, their ability to be good providers and their demeanor as much or more than their general appearance. Historically, men have dressed alike in certain classes. Professionals wore suits, cowboys wore what is now western wear, etc. They didn't try to stand out with appearance. To stand out, someone else had to find out about your qualities as a man. The qualities I mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph. Since the 60's that has changed. Of course, their have always been outlaws and rebels. But before the 60's those types were uncommon by percentile.

I personally prefer the historical and traditional roles. I don't wear any type of jewelry. I don't wear a watch, a necklace, I'm married and don't wear a ring, nothing. I would never in my life time have a piercing or a tattoo. To do so, for me, means that I have some weakness or insecurity I need to decorate.

When I walk down the street, I don't need or want to stand out from the crowd. I'm just a guy that's like any other guy, decently dressed, well groomed and well mannered. If we happen to get to know each other, you'll (meaning anyone) find out what kind of man I am. As you can tell, you'd find I am very opinionated, among other things.

A 15 year old wanting earrings is to me just a teenager going through the rebellious stage all teenagers go through. We all do it, or did it, in our own way. Unfortunately, these days, a lot of people never grow up and act like teenagers the rest of their lives. Right now, I'd say a teenage boy with earrings is a bit immature, but that's a 15 year old for you. At 25 if he still has them, I'd say he hadn't grown up yet. At 35 or later, geez.

I don't live in isolation. I know lots of people across all spectrums of life. There are exceptions to the rules, but the guys I know that don't stand out are the best guys I know. Those that do all have problems.

I'm not saying that there should be rules against men with earrings, etc. I just don't think men should.

Flame away if you chose. I'm just expressing my opinion and hoping to give the young man something to think about as he gets older.

I had earrings when I was 16-18 yrs old so I went thru the phase, now I just laugh at any guy who has them, especially the 25+ guys who still wear them. Same goes for the gold chain. Why?

Anyways, I'd say leave the earrings off the golf course at a private club, I think after 6 weeks or so you can take them out and the holes won't close, or do what I used to do, when I got home I would stick broken toothpicks thru the hole to keep it open yet somewhat camo'ed from the fam so I could fly under the radar, then when I went off to school, I would pop in the earrings. Worked like a charm.

Well, at 18 I got my one ear pierced (1977 one ear ring was enough then). My dad belonged to a private club in upstate NY and some people raised eyebrows some didn't care. As long as u play by the rules it shouldn't matter as times have changed. Remember to be yourself, other people can't live your life for you.

[b]Srixon ZX7  Evenflow White Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* EvenFlow White Stiff
Titleist TS3 19* hybrid EvenFlow White X-stiff 90gm[/b]
[b]Srixon ZX7 4-PW  Stiff

[/b]
[b]Bettnardi  50*  KBS S+

Bettnardi  54*  KBS S+

Bettnardi 60* KBS S+

[/b]Putter: Bettinardi BB#11 Ball:[b]Srixon Z-Star XV[/b]

Wow! It is questions like this that makes me happy I don't play country club golf in the US.

Christ, it's a 15 year old kid? As long as you know the rules, keep quit when I hit and try to be a joy to play with, I couldn't care less if you show up on the first tee dressed like an actual clown, with an gator tail strapped to your behind and and large drum on your back. Ohh, and all the earrings you could stuff in your ears. :good:

Here's my thoughts. I don't personally care if you have an earring and I would bet the club wouldn't care either, but it's really dependent on the membership. Some clubs naturally attract a much more conservative crowd who would be less than open to seeing an earring on a guy. I think if they aren't loud or obnoxious...in otherwords, if it won't create a huge holes through your lobes...I think you'll be fine.

I'm 31 now. When I was younger and saw my peers with an earring, I thought it was cool. Now when I see one of my peers with a piercing in a corporate work environment, it strikes me as odd. Not bad or wrong, just not neccessarily the attention you want to garner.

I think a lot of it depends on your lifestyle. My best friend has multiple piercings (ears, tongue), but then again, he doesn't quite work in the corporate world so it kind of fits him. When we used to go bar hopping in our early and mid 20's, we looked like the oddest pair of friends...2 kids from the "opposite side of the tracks".

All in all...I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you aren't breaking rules (dress code) and your parents are cool with it...do what you want. Just realize that initial impressions (good or bad) of anyone is based on physical apperance.

[quote name='Skaffa77' date='26 February 2010 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1267195737' post='2278545']
Here's my thoughts. I don't personally care if you have an earring and I would bet the club wouldn't care either, but it's really dependent on the membership. Some clubs naturally attract a much more conservative crowd who would be less than open to seeing an earring on a guy. I think if they aren't loud or obnoxious...in otherwords, if it won't create a huge holes through your lobes...I think you'll be fine.

I'm 31 now. When I was younger and saw my peers with an earring, I thought it was cool. Now when I see one of my peers with a piercing in a corporate work environment, it strikes me as odd. Not bad or wrong, just not neccessarily the attention you want to garner.

I think a lot of it depends on your lifestyle. My best friend has multiple piercings (ears, tongue), but then again, he doesn't quite work in the corporate world so it kind of fits him. When we used to go bar hopping in our early and mid 20's, we looked like the oddest pair of friends...2 kids from the "opposite side of the tracks".

All in all...I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you aren't breaking rules (dress code) and your parents are cool with it...do what you want. Just realize that initial impressions (good or bad) of anyone is based on physical apperance.
[/quote]

Great response. You might have to work for some of those members one day.

I believe there's a time and place for everything. Unfortunately, we live in a society where we automatically fault things that aren't conforming. Wear your earrings if you must, but if someone is looking at you weird at your club, well, you know why. I would have no problem with it, if you're a muni course. But in a private club, try and conform. I somewhat agree with the OP who said that it's how you behave and not what you wear, but the last thing I'd want to see in a private club are kids sagging their pants and wearing their hats backwards because it's hip on the streets.

[quote name='jlam1127' date='26 February 2010 - 09:00 AM' timestamp='1267196440' post='2278565']
I believe there's a time and place for everything. Unfortunately, we live in a society where we automatically fault things that aren't conforming. Wear your earrings if you must, but if someone is looking at you weird at your club, well, you know why. I would have no problem with it, if you're a muni course. But in a private club, try and conform. I somewhat agree with the OP who said that it's how you behave and not what you wear, but [b]the last thing I'd want to see in a private club are kids sagging their pants[/b] and wearing their hats backwards because it's hip on the streets.
[/quote]

Yeah...then you'll have some old dude singing, "Pants on the ground, pants on the ground. Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground."

[quote name='jlam1127' date='26 February 2010 - 09:00 AM' timestamp='1267196440' post='2278565']
I believe there's a time and place for everything. Unfortunately, we live in a society where we automatically fault things that aren't conforming. Wear your earrings if you must, but if someone is looking at you weird at your club, well, you know why. I would have no problem with it, if you're a muni course. [b]But in a private club, try and conform[/b]. I somewhat agree with the OP who said that it's how you behave and not what you wear, but the last thing I'd want to see in a private club are kids sagging their pants and wearing their hats backwards because it's hip on the streets.
[/quote]
I dont do things to stand out, but I'll be damned if I am going to change anything about myself to "try and conform" to ANYONE. If I want to wear my ear rings, and someone doesnt like it, that is their problem, not mine. My jewelry does not change me as a person, it is a visual accessory, nothing more. I like they way they look, and that is the reason I wear them, period. I dont hardly think that an ear ring even remotely equates with sagging pants and backward hats. You would never see me with my pants below my waist, and my hats are worn straight because it keeps the sun out of my face. If I want to keep it off my neck, I wear my big floppy titleist hat.

I am a father of a 15 year old (daughter) but just to give you an idea of where I am coming from. We belong to a high end Country Club that is the home course of 2 PGA professionals - as well as several professional athletes from the NFL and NHL. No hats on backwards, shirts tucked, etc...

My ears have small hoops and I wear them. I also have upper arm tattoos that are covered by short sleeve shirts, but one hangs out a bit and is visible if I have been swinging a club.

You should never give a damn to conforming to what others THINK - and you will make a better impression by being a good man, but your own man. You'll earn respect by being a gentleman but not following the herd. If you look sharp and abide by the rules and dress code of your club - and you have good manners then you are golden in my book. Wear them and be a gentleman.

..and if anyone has anything to say about it take their wallet on the golf course. :)

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='Babaganoosh' date='24 February 2010 - 10:57 AM' timestamp='1267027037' post='2273999']
[quote name='Sawgrass' date='23 February 2010 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1266986935' post='2273410']
Class, which you say you're concerned with, is much more about how you behave than what you wear.

If you're centered enough, wear them and take notes of who the jerks are that chose to criticize you. Then decide what kind of man you want to be when you're their age.
[/quote]

+1 :clapping:
[/quote]

+2 Thats EXACTLY what you should do. You wear what you want, when you want!

I'm 20, I got mine pierced when I was 18 after I graduated high school, because I went to a private all guys high school and ear piercings were not allowed. I worked at a course last summer and I would take them out when I worked, (i was only a cart boy and range guy). A few times I forgot but I would take them out when I realized and my boss (the club pro) never said anything. If I didn't really get yelled at for wearing them at work I would say it is okay to wear them when you play. The only time I would say you should removed them is if you were to play in a tournament or match of some sort. Other than that I don't see why it should be a problem. I know alot of the traditional guys will say "get rid of them NOW!" I am not opposed to them, although I have dumped mine all together just because it was a dumb thing to do in the first place. My gf liked them, just not as much as she liked me without them. Its all about preferences, so choose whatever you want. And if you want to wear them, wear them! I would just say not during tournament time! - Brendan

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB