Ear piercing and golf ettiquette

is it ok?
Ok so I am 15 years old (guy) and I recently just got my ears pierced with just small black studs. Do you that it will be ok to keep them in the summer when I play (I'm a member at a private course). I know its kinda a weird question but I just want to know some other peoples thoughts because I am a big supporter of golf being a game class.

Thanks for the input

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only wear mine (diamond studs) when I golf. I'm 34, I don't really care what ppl think. If I'm a guest at a private course, I will not wear them...since I am a guest. Since you're a member, not sure how the course would take that. Private courses are kinda snooty, so they may not like it too much.

Chances are you will get the same reaction from people that you would anywhere else.

Most people under 30 could care less what's in your ears, people in their 40's and early 50's are probably split on it, people in their late 50's and up are likely against it. Obviously there are exceptions within those groups.

The two differences at a private club versus anywhere else...

- You will likely be surrounded by a higher concentration of people who don't think guys should have earrings at a private club.
- Those same people are likely to be the ones on the board of directors who are setting a real and expected-to-be-followed dress code. It's one of the costs of being in a private club.

If you are REALLY concerned about upsetting members of the club, I wouldn't wear the earrings. In a country club environment, there's always going to be someone who doesn't like the earrings - whether they say something to your face or not. If you are not so concerned, just wear the smallest studs you can find. Odds are they don't have a rule about male jewelry, fly under the radar and you won't give them a reason to add a new one.

[quote name='Jimmy Mac' date='23 February 2010 - 10:20 AM' timestamp='1266938421' post='2271403']
Chances are you will get the same reaction from people that you would anywhere else.

Most people under 30 could care less what's in your ears, people in their 40's and early 50's are probably split on it, people in their late 50's and up are likely against it. Obviously there are exceptions within those groups.

The two differences at a private club versus anywhere else...

- You will likely be surrounded by a higher concentration of people who don't think guys should have earrings at a private club.
- Those same people are likely to be the ones on the board of directors who are setting a real and expected-to-be-followed dress code. It's one of the costs of being in a private club.

If you are REALLY concerned about upsetting members of the club, I wouldn't wear the earrings. In a country club environment, there's always going to be someone who doesn't like the earrings - whether they say something to your face or not. If you are not so concerned, just wear the smallest studs you can find. Odds are they don't have a rule about male jewelry, fly under the radar and you won't give them a reason to add a new one.

[/quote]

This is solid advice

I think you should wear them.

I must admit I'm surprised by your question. If you were worried what other people would think, you probably shouldn't have done it in the first place.

[i][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000080][b]"People in a hurry, shouldn't play golf"[/b][/color][/size][/font][/i]

[color=#000080][size=2]Ping G400 9.5[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 5 Woods[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 4 Hybrids
Mizuno JPX 850 4 - PW, G, SW[/size]
[size=2]Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser 38"[/size][/color]
[color=#000080][size=2]Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black[/size]
[size=2]Bat Caddy X4r[/size][/color]

See if your club has a dress code regarding man-cessories and man-jewelry.

Or, you can follow a simple fashion rule:
When in doubt, don't try to stand out.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I used to wear earrings when I was about 17-19, thought they were cool... I wore them to the club I play at all the time, most the guys out there knew me so everyone would give me a hard time, make jokes about it, I did not care, it was all friendly. When I was in college tourneys my playing partners would really look at it funny, rather unexpected for them I guess. It really does affect the image you are trying to give off... people will not look at you are is you are a good golfer, at least in my case, unless they already knew me. Of course, I did not care, I can remember showing up at public courses in a t-shirt and basketball shorts and my earrings in, and asking people to play for money and a lot of people would jump on it, at first. Many people think a guy with earrings sucks at golf (at least from my experiences)... so it's up to you.

15 years old eh? Well, son, your lucky you don't live in my household. :)

My son is only slightly younger than you and he has a firm grip on the fact that as long as he lives in my house, they are forbidden.

I would assume your family, not just you, are members at that private course. I would make sure my parents were ok with me wearing them to the club since they are probably the ones who are paying the club bill there.

Not trying to be harsh...just realistic.

First of all, good for you.......15 yrs old, and smart enough to ask this type of question.

I am 36 and when growing up, I had my first earing at 17. In my day, you only peirced the left ear!!! By the time I was 20, I had 3 earings in that ear. When I graduated college, I made the decision that that type of behavior is for kids, not grown ups...I had my fun with it, and then it was over......(no offense intended to those old guys who still wear them!!! Just my decision for me)

I played college baseball, and would NEVER wear them to practice or games.(would have been killed by my coach!!!)

IMO if your parents are ok with your decision, and you are still questioning it, bring it up to a member of the board, and see what they think. I bet you will be surprised at the amount of respect shown to you, by showing respect to your club officials. (unless the person you ask is just simply STUFFY!!!)

Good luck deciding!! Just don't put those "plugs" in your ears!!!!!!

[quote name='RickKimbrell' date='23 February 2010 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1266950622' post='2271816']
15 years old eh? Well, son, your lucky you don't live in my household. :)

My son is only slightly younger than you and he has a firm grip on the fact that as long as he lives in my house, they are forbidden.

I would assume your family, not just you, are members at that private course. I would make sure my parents were ok with me wearing them to the club since they are probably the ones who are paying the club bill there.

Not trying to be harsh...just realistic.

[/quote]

+1

Perfect response.

[quote name='stage1350' date='23 February 2010 - 09:08 AM' timestamp='1266944887' post='2271618']
See if your [b]club has a dress code[/b] regarding man-cessories and man-jewelry.

Or, you can follow a simple fashion rule:
When in doubt, don't try to stand out.
[/quote]

Agree with above statement - if it's not in the rules then wear them. Society is changing and you should be fine by wearing them.

Handicap:  3

i wear earings since i was 16 and i'm 34 now and still have one on both ears. if its not against any rules i would wear them.

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

I don't see any problems with having a pierced ear or two...BUT...I'd be against any guy having a pierced nose. Wouldn't you hate to see a guy sneeze, and blow snot clear across the table, and have it land in his lady friends soup bowl?laugh.gif

Myself? I'd have a pierced ear but my son won't allow me to have one.bye.gif

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

While it is petty and the times are changing (for the better, I don't know), rules are rules, tradition is tradition. Most clubs have dress codes, shirts tucked, no cargo shorts, caps on with bill forward, caps off in the clubhouse, no short skirts for the ladies (darn) etc. And some enforce my favorite - NO CELL PHONES! Find out what the deal is at your club and go with it.

Just don't draw attention to them when you are at the club. If you have a frenum or Prince Albert, don't talk about them with the membership either... :rolleyes:

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='stage1350' date='23 February 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1266959804' post='2272225']
Just don't draw attention to them when you are at the club. If you have a frenum or Prince Albert, don't talk about them with the membership either... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

LMAO! And if you have the above don't post pics

Earrings are for Ladies.... But whatever floats your boat. good.gif

Not against any rules

Here we go.... russian_roulette.gif and I suppose women shouldn't be allowed to wear pants. If you look back in history you'll find that men from many different cultures had their ears pierced. I don't have mine pierced but I certainly don't care who does. There's more to a person than what they choose to wear.

My club doesn't have any sort of rules on men's earings. I honestly don't care if someone wants to wear them or not, same as I don't care if a man wants to wear a pink shirt and purple pants, do whatever you want so long as it conforms to the rest of the dress code (collared shirt tucked into pants or shorts, no denim for example). The 70+ crowd might look at you a little weird, but then you might look at them a little weird for wearing those "sansabelt" slacks pulled up to their armpits.

Earrings are for Ladies.... But whatever floats your boat. good.gif

Not against any rules

False. Earrings are for wait for it ........EARS! And last time I checked both male and females have ears. Is it written in the guide to femininity which you apparently have a firm grasp of that earrings in the America are to be worn by females only? Its culture thing. If you feel comfortable with it, do your thing.

Btw, neither of my ears are or have been pierced.

I wear a hoop and a diamond stud in each ear. I really couldnt care less if someone likes them or not. If I had a membership at a private club, and they had a problem with my ear rings, I would simply stop giving them my money and go elsewhere.

BTW - I'm about to be 30. I pierced my left ear when I was 15, and could not wear it at home. I put a second ear ring in my left ear at 16, and still could not wear it at home. When I moved out at 17, I pierced my right ear twice to match the left ear, and have worn all 4 since then. At one point, I also had the upper cartilage on my left ear, my tongue, and a labret piercing. I've since outgrown the last 3 and taken them out, but the other 4 stay.

I was a member in good standing in the organization represented by my avatar for 30 years, and we are the most uptight, conservative, girly-man despising organization in the world.

I'm also 53 yr old and a member of a private club. Wear your ear ring. I wouldn't care and if I were you, I wouldn't care about anyone who did. WGAF.

ear rings are for girls

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

I think it depends. First, if you're asking the question, I think deep down you might already know the answer. You also need to ask yourself why you're doing it- is it a look you're going for or are you trying to rebel against those who might not appreciate the earring.

If you are rebelling, that will come across in your body language and demeanor- and you'll probably get noticed a lot faster.

I would also suggest that if this is the only "rule" you're questioning, you'll probably be OK. However if you also have your "pants on the ground" and your sidways baseball cap, wallet with the big chain, etc., you are going to stand out like a sore thumb. Again, if it is a look you're going for, fine- but the club, being private, also has a right to dictate the look they're going for.

The advice to discuss with both your parents and maybe a club official is good. When you're paying the bill, you can push the envelope a bit more. Until then, Mom & Dad get the final say (I'm assuming they're OK with the earring in general).

[quote name='Sawgrass' date='23 February 2010 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1266986935' post='2273410']
Class, which you say you're concerned with, is much more about how you behave than what you wear.

If you're centered enough, wear them and take notes of who the jerks are that chose to criticize you. Then decide what kind of man you want to be when you're their age.
[/quote]

+1 :clapping: