2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Greg Norman Cobra Blades...........

DoctorLoomis

From what I was told, these blades were forged by MacGregor and had the Cobra logo stamped on them. At the time these irons were made, Norman had his personal irons hand ground by Don White at MacGregor. I have seen a couple of these sets but NOT with the TOUR stamped hosel. Can anyone provide any further background on these irons???

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BOYS THE TOUR HEAD-

is actually the head that other staff such as lehman played.
they were also available by customer order at the time.
i did order a set from my club and found the non tour set
about a year after that.the non tour set has these differences
and were actually the model he played.

deeper stampings especially signature
thicker muscle
narrower sole especially on the heel
slightly diff top line more attractive in my opinion
a little less offset

yes they were made by mac dw as most clubs were back then,lol
any1 without a contract either played macs or zunos

i have had about 12 sets of these and the non tour head is the nutz.

they however need some tlc grinding as they are a bit diggy
with little bounce,but that fit normans pick profile and augustas
fairways.

still have a set or 2 left.
redid a set about 1 1/2 years ago and sold them on ebay.
shiny chrome from iron factory.

cheers willy

I picked up a set of these about 7 years ago from a place called House of Forged in San Diego. They no longer sell clubs.

I have the NON-TOUR set. I would have to agree that this set is the NUTS. Small sweet spot and ONLY a golf club for one with some patience.

They show up on eBay from time to time.

Very true in the the heads are a bit more "fragile" and show ding marks rather easy in comparison to the other forged blades I have.

I'll try to post a pic mine later.

The OTHER fantastic "signature set" is the Seve Ballesteros Dunlop set. They come NUMBERED. Pins in the hosel ((like Hogan Blades)).

HappyGas

Great info willy. Didn't the other pros usually play with ones stamped cobra, not Norman on the back?

Any word on those? The set I play is stamped cobra and looks just like the one iron lehman played forever. Were those ever available retail?

I can confirm the special order bit, I once say a beautiful set stamped macgregor and nicklaus in satin chrome, but they had a round toe, so I didn't get them.

And I concur, they're great clubs.

I hate to disagree with all of you but many years ago my brother had a set of these and I did some extensive research on them. I don't think Don White or MacGregor ever had anything to do with these. Cobra had a very good designer/engineer named Terry McCabe, I think was his name and he actually designed the Cobra Norman putter line as well, ( the boss of the moss still uses it) He later moved to Titleist where he also designed the 975D driver. I'm not sure if he is still around or is retired but he was very very good.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

[quote name='oneaugusta' date='23 February 2010 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1266962343' post='2272357']
I hate to disagree with all of you but many years ago my brother had a set of these and I did some extensive research on them. I don't think Don White or MacGregor ever had anything to do with these. Cobra had a very good designer/engineer named Terry McCabe, I think was his name and he actually designed the Cobra Norman putter line as well, ( the boss of the moss still uses it) He later moved to Titleist where he also designed the 975D driver. I'm not sure if he is still around or is retired but he was very very good.
[/quote]

The Norman Signature blade is a MacGregor 985 iron head (one of the later versions, they made several). Norman played the MacGregor 985 for part of his career and when he became part of Cobra, they contracted MacGregor to make a limited number of sets. As far as Don White's involvement, I don't know if had anything to do with the retail clubs but he did the work on Norman's. http://www.golfweek.com/news/2009/dec/14/macgregor-demise-american-classic/

• 2 years later...

[quote name='RobS' timestamp='1267051467' post='2274923']
[quote name='oneaugusta' date='23 February 2010 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1266962343' post='2272357']
[/quote]

The Norman Signature blade is a MacGregor 985 iron head (one of the later versions, they made several). Norman played the MacGregor 985 for part of his career and when he became part of Cobra, they contracted MacGregor to make a limited number of sets. As far as Don White's involvement, I don't know if had anything to do with the retail clubs but he did the work on Norman's. [url="http://www.golfweek.com/news/2009/dec/14/macgregor-demise-american-classic/"]http://www.golfweek....erican-classic/[/url]
[/quote]

I concur with all that you stated. I had a set about nine years ago and indeed, they were based on the Tourney Custom 985 head which was in turn based on the Tommy Armour Silver Scot 915/925/985 Series made by MacGregor for several decades.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

great clubs I have had a couple of sets and still have a (tour) 1 iron in my 1 iron collection. The story I heard Greg told Spalding in 91 he wanted half of everything with his name on it Spalding said no thus Greg did not renew contract hooked up with Cobra since it was owned by a fellow aussie. since he was friends with Jack Nicklaus and Cobra had no blades MacGregor stepped in. Greg picked the 985 reverse muscleback head to lower and control ball flight. I was told there was 3 versions the first 2 were same grind different stampings (1st did not have Gregs signature) the third set was produced the last 2 yrs 95-96 with slightly more rounded heel and toe, slightly more narrowed sole and had tour stamped on hosel. I have had the tour set and 2nd version both will make u concentrate realiy really hard.

[quote name='pro-fitt' timestamp='1353558702' post='5964829']
great clubs I have had a couple of sets and still have a (tour) 1 iron in my 1 iron collection. The story I heard Greg told Spalding in 91 he wanted half of everything with his name on it Spalding said no thus Greg did not renew contract hooked up with Cobra since it was owned by a fellow aussie. since he was friends with Jack Nicklaus and Cobra had no blades MacGregor stepped in. Greg picked the 985 reverse muscleback head to lower and control ball flight. I was told there was 3 versions the first 2 were same grind different stampings (1st did not have Gregs signature) the third set was produced the last 2 yrs 95-96 with slightly more rounded heel and toe, slightly more narrowed sole and had tour stamped on hosel. I have had the tour set and 2nd version both will make u concentrate realiy really hard.
[/quote]

The set without Norman's signature is identical to the "Tour" set other than the signature. The other set (with the deeper signature stamp), has the narrower sole (particularly the heel), is more rounded (especially the toe), and has a ticker muscle, less (no) offest, and a longer hosel.

At Sandwich in '93 Norman was playing a set that looks identical to that non "tour" set, with the same deeper signature stamp and thinner sole. I have no idea if he ever played the other version.

To address some other comments, Cobra made blades but had nothing forged at the time, which is (I think) how MacGregor comes into the picture.

Don White confirmed to me personally that MacGregor made the MacCobras, but he didn't know about the two versions, so I have no idea there. Maybe at some point Cobra started to make it's own version...

I don't think the heads are that small, especially the "tour" version, which weren't small at all at the time. They're nowhere near as small as say a Muirfield or even a PMB.