2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

King Arnie and hats

Does anyone think the fact they were wearing hats before the interview was lost on Arnie. Doesn't sound reasonable to me. His "joke" was clearly premeditated. I guess the questions is - was it a dick move for him to "stick it to 'em" on air like that? I don't necessarily think so. It was just kinda weird the way it came across, I guess. He really didn't "pull it off" as naturally as someone like, say, Charles Barkley, or a ball-busting comedian could.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='w8liftr' date='28 March 2010 - 10:38 AM' timestamp='1269794334' post='2345887']
Years ago it was considered inappropriate to wear a hat indoors. When I was younger my grandfather would make me remove my hat when I would visit. I believe the military still observes this and they uncover when entering a home/building.

So I don't think Arnold was asking them to remove their hats to honor him, but as a sign of manners.
[/quote]
<br><br>
Exactly. Sometimes old school is the best school.<br><br>Besides it's not like he required them to bow or take a knee while he spoke.

While I understand the issue, and the fact that it is "impolite" to wear a hat indoors, it does bug me.

I have a very large head (i.e. caps are tight) and thick hair (even when its very short) so even a few minutes in a cap gives me a horrible case of hat head...add some warm temps in there and it is even worse. It looks horrible, and nothing short of a shower will tame it (a couple of minutes in the bathrooms won't).

While I would respect any rules in place for any facility, I would probably do so by not going inside, unless there were some way to shower, which might be the case in some upscale facilities. If I manage to win the Masters :rolleyes: , I will suck it up for my Butler cabin interview (or maybe one of the CBS hair/makeup people could work a miracle!)

While I am a traditionalist in many respects, it makes sense to me that hats would be OK at the entire facility dedicated to golf, when being used in the course of said activity.

It is also interesting to note that Arnold appears to have rarely, if EVER, worn a hat/cap while playing golf (maybe a bucket a few times later in in his playing days). I respect his opinions (and in his position he has earned the right to express them) but I don't always agree with all of them.

most clubhouses require your hat to be removed when indoors.

Cobra Radspeed XD 10.5
Callaway rogue 3 wood
Callaway rogue 5 wood
Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
Callaway  mack daddy cb 60 wedge
Titleist trufeel/Callaway supersoft balls
Odyssey 7s black

play any club in Westchester County, NY.... no hats, no cellphones, no "golf attire" for meals and dinner = jacket.

a few thoughts:

1) it's Arnie's place... he asks you to wear white shoes only, you honor his request. If you don't like it, don't play there again.

2) Good for Arnie in asking them to abide by the rules of the club, whatever they may be. Again, if they don't like it, don't come back next time.

3) I would imagine there is a statiscal correlation between those opposed to removing your hat, and those who are opposed to a handshake on the 18th green.

-Nat

If taking your hat off is a club rule, then by all means it should be followed. If it's not, then it's no less appropriate than going hat-less outdoors, wearing shorts, having facial hair, or women wearing sleeveless shirts or showing their legs.

Times change, and so does the rules of etiquette. But in my world, wearing a hat indoors is no less poor form than chastising someone publicly for doing it.

[quote name='MAK2525' date='28 March 2010 - 11:35 AM' timestamp='1269794132' post='2345879']
[quote name='golfpunk59' date='28 March 2010 - 12:32 PM' timestamp='1269793920' post='2345871']
Do you were your hat inside? I hope not. I assume they are some were inside the bay hill club house and the dress code dictates no hats. You'd get told to take your hat off at my club as well.
[/quote]

Bingo - the OP is reading way too much in to this. It does not matter if you are a PGA pro, a member, or a resort guest at Bayhill - you will be asked to remove your hat in the clubhouse!
[/quote]

+1 Great for Arnold -

I remember when my son was an aspiring young professional and was visiting a club in Birmingham. He walked into the clubhouse, hat on, and was politely asked to remove his hat and then admonished by his Director of Golf for embarrassing him. Also Mr. Palmer should have asked Rocko to sit up and look professional. Slouching down into the couch and hanging your arms above your head isn't very respectful to your host.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

While I'm on the side of the "removing hats" fence. I can't for the life of me understand why some people act as if what Palmer did was single the great travesty ever aired on television.

When some people say they have lost all respect for Palmer they act as if what he did was just as bad as Tiger.

9.5° Titleist 910 D3 | UST Proforce V2 6S

15° Titleist 910 F | UST Proforce V2 7S

2-9 Mizuno MP-32 | DG S300 | 2° weak

50°, 55°, 60° Titleist TVD | DG Spinner

Never Compromise GM2 Exchange 4

[quote name='madaboutgolf' date='29 March 2010 - 09:50 AM' timestamp='1269874249' post='2347882']
[/quote]

Not in the USA.

Even the nicest Clubs don't ask for hats to be removed indoors.

I take my hat off if I go into the restaurant but that's it. This isn't 1950 and it's not like I need to show my respect for the club by taking my hat off. Dropping $150 each time I go should be enough.

[quote name='Bomb and Gouge' date='29 March 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1269897396' post='2348755']
[quote name='madaboutgolf' date='29 March 2010 - 09:50 AM' timestamp='1269874249' post='2347882']
[/quote]

[b]Not in the USA.

Even the nicest Clubs don't ask for hats to be removed indoors[/b].

I take my hat off if I go into the restaurant but that's it. This isn't 1950 and it's not like I need to show my respect for the club by taking my hat off. Dropping $150 each time I go should be enough.
[/quote]

Can you prove that? Because apparently there is at least one.

[quote name='Bomb and Gouge' date='29 March 2010 - 05:16 PM' timestamp='1269897396' post='2348755']
[/quote]

Not in the USA.

[/quote]

I think your wrong..... many nice and nicer clubs do indeed not allow hats in the clubhouse or interior of clubs.

What I find interesting about this thread is that so many posters think Arnie was right to tell the threesome to remove their hats because they shouldn't have been wearing them inside, not picking up that the whole thing was a setup. Snedeker was obviously feeling uncomfortable about wearing his hat inside and was relieved to be able to take it off when he got his cue. Joke or not what I found objectionable was that it was a setup. Arnie was up here in Edmonton Alberta for a golf thing a couple of years ago and told a young man sitting near him to take his hat off to show respect. The radio talk show guy who witnessed this felt it was a good thing, in order to teach the young man some manners. At the time I thought it was fine too and didn't pay much attention to it. I was aware of Bay Hill's rule about hats inside before the Golf Channel airing of "King's Table" so I'm sure Mediate, Fowler and Snedeker were more than familiar with the rule as well. I'm sorry so many people seem upset that I've questioned Mr. Palmer's intentions, but I really think it was inappropriate for him to use the three of them to make a point about his "NO HAT" rule. To me, not funny at all.

[quote name='OneBowTie' date='29 March 2010 - 03:27 PM' timestamp='1269898056' post='2348778']
[quote name='Bomb and Gouge' date='29 March 2010 - 05:16 PM' timestamp='1269897396' post='2348755']
[/quote]

Not in the USA.

[/quote]

I think your wrong..... many nice and nicer clubs do indeed not allow hats in the clubhouse or interior of clubs.
[/quote]

Apologies in advance, but this is wide open for a Jay-Z quote...."you can pay for school but you can't buy class"

[quote name='macglock' date='29 March 2010 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1269900801' post='2348879']
[quote name='OneBowTie' date='29 March 2010 - 03:27 PM' timestamp='1269898056' post='2348778']
[/quote]

Not in the USA.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Apologies in advance, but this is wide open for a Jay-Z quote...."you can pay for school but you can't buy class"
[/quote]

no need for apologies.... I have always thought finishing school was overrated

[quote name='Bomb and Gouge' date='29 March 2010 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1269897396' post='2348755']
[/quote]

Not in the USA.

[/quote]

What kind of "club" do you have to pay every time you play....?

Upon seeing this post I checked the dress codes of some of my clubs international reciprocals. 6/6 ask for hats to be removed indoors.

Do you take your lid off when you shake hands after 18?

Driver: 10.5* Taylormade Stealth GD Tour AD IZ 75x 
3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
Irons: 4-PW 620 MB Nippon 125x
Wedges: SM9 50.08F 54.10S 58.08M S400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant

Do I take my "lid" off? No, never. I'm not on the PGA Tour.

And I don't say "lid" either...that's just way too dorky.

You're right. I should have said, "Most of the nicest clubs around here." I really have no idea what it's like in the South.

If there's a rule posted or if someone asks me, I'll gladly oblige. And anytime I sit down to eat or enter a restaurant, I'll take my hat off. But otherwise, it doesn't even enter my mind.

Oh, and I don't tuck in my shirt either.

big_show_suck_it.gif

[quote name='Bomb and Gouge' date='29 March 2010 - 07:51 PM' timestamp='1269917466' post='2349203']
[quote name='golfpunk59' date='29 March 2010 - 07:50 PM' timestamp='1269910216' post='2348929']
[/quote]

Do I take my "lid" off? No, never. I'm not on the PGA Tour.

[/quote]

You know why they take their hats off to shake hands? It's a sign of respect. Golf is a game of tradition and respect, that's what separates our sport from others.

Also do you take your hat off for your national anthem? If yes why? If no.... well...

Driver: 10.5* Taylormade Stealth GD Tour AD IZ 75x 
3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
Irons: 4-PW 620 MB Nippon 125x
Wedges: SM9 50.08F 54.10S 58.08M S400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant

[quote name='OneBowTie' date='28 March 2010 - 06:57 PM' timestamp='1269820644' post='2346730']
[quote name='Bob57' date='28 March 2010 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1269820035' post='2346710']
Certainly was an uncomfortable moment in an otherwise light hearted interview. I don't know what point it served to "teach" the pros a lesson in decorum when in reality it came out making Palmer look like some old crab.. Tell them before the interview to remove their hats per the clubhouse rules--don't make some reality show out of it. Don't forget not all golfers thought Arnold was a great guy---no less than Ben Hogan couldn't stand him..
[/quote]

the irony of your post..... it has been said that Ben may have not been that well liked by his peers......

as far as saying not all golfers thought Arnold was a great guy...... is petty at best..... the most important people obviously thought the world of Arnie..... the fans- his army and the networks and sponsors..... and to this day he is one of thee most if not most popular golfer of all time..... not only with fans, but peers and sponsors.....
[/quote]

You can also add Ken Venturi to the list as not being a Palmer fan as well. Anyone that has been near Ken can get the whole story. Venturi said he didn't dislike Palmer later just to get the adoring media off his back, but never changed his opinion. The Master's controversy is not the reason for the dislike.

[quote name='Bob57' date='30 March 2010 - 09:32 AM' timestamp='1269955959' post='2349853']

You can also add Ken Venturi to the list as not being a Palmer fan as well. Anyone that has been near Ken can get the whole story. Venturi said he didn't dislike Palmer later just to get the adoring media off his back, but never changed his opinion. The Master's controversy is not the reason for the dislike.
[/quote]

You're not going to tell us what happened? What, did Palmer make Venturi take his hat off in a car or something?

It shows respect? To who? For what? Society deteriorating? It should be done because it has always been that way? I was raised that way so you should do it as well.?.? Come on, please..

It's a stupid tradition, and should be shelved along with tons of other antiquated traditions we have. Stop living in the past and realize that people just don't care about a bunch of silly traditions that have no meaning, or purpose in today's society other than to make you feel better about yourself. Just because you were raised that way, or your overbearing father threatened you as a child if you didn't follow his every word doesn't mean everyone wants to be like you.

I'd be more irritated at someone who deliberately embarrassed his guests to make a point about his silly little rule. Besides that, I really have no respect for a man who allows people to refer to him as "the king". I do not see the reason why everyone that interviews him always feels the need to XXXXXXX his ego like that. He played golf for a living. He isn't anyone special, and he isn't "the king" of anything. Golf does not need people that are going to make a point to single people out over stupid things like when, and where they wear their hats. It only makes him look like a pompous jerk-off and the sport look bad.

[quote name='deeviant' date='30 March 2010 - 08:52 PM' timestamp='1270000375' post='2351475']
It shows respect? To who? For what? Society deteriorating? It should be done because it has always been that way? I was raised that way so you should do it as well.?.? Come on, please..

It's a stupid tradition, and should be shelved along with tons of other antiquated traditions we have. Stop living in the past and realize that people just don't care about a bunch of silly traditions that have no meaning, or purpose in today's society other than to make you feel better about yourself. Just because you were raised that way, or your overbearing father threatened you as a child if you didn't follow his every word doesn't mean everyone wants to be like you.

I'd be more irritated at someone who deliberately embarrassed his guests to make a point about his silly little rule. Besides that, I really have no respect for a man who allows people to refer to him as "the king". I do not see the reason why everyone that interviews him always feels the need to XXXXXXX his ego like that. He played golf for a living. He isn't anyone special, and he isn't "the king" of anything. Golf does not need people that are going to make a point to single people out over stupid things like when, and where they wear their hats. It only makes him look like a pompous jerk-off and the sport look bad.
[/quote]

Hold that thought

[attachment=567727:violin_player_4.jpg]

ok go ahead.

Every day, I am more and more greatful for those people, young and old, who are determined to honor and perpetuate the traditions and etiquette of our great game. I am, likewise, saddened that so many seem to have either chosen or been allowed (or even encouraged) to wreck and disparage that which they can't or won't grasp. Golf exists today because of our traditions, not in spite of them. Thanks to Arnie and all the others who demand that all of us who call ourselves golfers be aware of the respect we owe to those who went before us and the obligation we have to those who will come after us to preserve our sport from those who would let expediency and self-absorbsion become the rule rather than the exception.

[quote name='smith5606' date='31 March 2010 - 05:34 AM' timestamp='1270031668' post='2352123']
Every day, I am more and more greatful for those people, young and old, who are determined to honor and perpetuate the traditions and etiquette of our great game. I am, likewise, saddened that so many seem to have either chosen or been allowed (or even encouraged) to wreck and disparage that which they can't or won't grasp. Golf exists today because of our traditions, not in spite of them. Thanks to Arnie and all the others who demand that all of us who call ourselves golfers be aware of the respect we owe to those who went before us and the obligation we have to those who will come after us to preserve our sport from those who would let expediency and self-absorbsion become the rule rather than the exception.
[/quote]

Yeah, there's no hint of "self-absorption" in that post.