2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

cobra golf hs9 driver and fairwaywoods

b-man777

hi all:just saw a pic of the new cobra hs9 driver on their site and it looks interesting.my only thought about them and the matching fairway woods is why cobra is going back to using a composite crown when so many other companies who have used it are getting away from it.finally witch series will be cobra's tour model the speed or new hs9?thanks :idhitit:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The titleist rep was in the area last week and I happened to be in the proshop as he was walking through. He only had a head, so it was hard to get a good judge, but seemed 'interesting' :idhitit:

While its still a some classic styling, I'm not a big fan of the composite look. From address, the color and texture scheme seemed a litle much - a little too distracting for me.

Chris

The face is much bigger than the old comp. And with the graphite inserts in the sole and the slanting "fast back" crown, they probably can have the CG a little lower and deeper. So it´s gonna have a higher MOI and bigger high COR area than the older COMP, which should of course result in longer straighter drives on average.

I hit one :idhitit:

It's really neat, they are similar to the F-Series drivers, but they are what I think is a break through for Cobra. The Cobra/Titleist rep came in I guess about 2 weeks ago tomorrow, and he brought two of the new HS9 line in. He had the 'Blue' and 'Green' version, one was regular flex, and one was stiff. These drivers come stock with the Lamkin Dual Density Torsion Control (Color coordinated to match the shaft/model). Now for starters, the shaft is some form of the NV, and the head is to say the least a tad more traditaional looking. The head doesn't have that previous Cobra bulged toe look, and the overall appearance of the head is much more round than any Cobra I have ever seen. These ARE composite heads, and what they are saying is, that the HS9 design allows them to distribute weight to any location in the head with the black weight plates on the sole (something to that extent). Now it came down to hitting a few balls with it. To my surprise, although the first ball I hit had a very good ball flight, but I thought I missed it because the sound off the face was very muted. I hit another, and it was the same feel/sound off the face. I asked the rep whether the new lineup was intended to have a much more muted sound, and his reply was that they did design it to that such, and they wanted their drivers to appeal to not only the typical Cobra costomer, but also the more 'acheived' players. Overall this driver looks very good, I don't know if I would put one in my bag quite yet, but there is definitely going to be some folks that would previously never even think about putting a Cobra in their bag, but the HS9 will find its way in. The downside about these drivers is that the Price Point is going to be $399.99, I don't know if this is a smart move or not, but we shall see!

$$$$$$$ is why they do a composite driver. But just like the last one it will do lukewarm business because $379-399 is not a price point people want to pay for a Cobra driver. Every time they leave the $299 range they don't do well. Just because JB won with the old 454 Comp they think they can get some buzz but it will come down to performance versus $$$$$ and they will gather dust just like the Comp. did. There will be no XX so the Pinnacle team is staying with the XX Speed series. The F and M are still closed faces although not as bad as the ti ones since it varies by loft. The X series claims to be open but at address it looks just about square---I think this is more of a function of the sole design (ala the X-460) that helps it look square. It still is very easy to hook these clubs. I have had an 8 degree HS-9 X (probably won't come to market--only 9 degree) with an X GD YS6.6 shaft (all red including the lamkin grip). I can not keep it off the left side of the fairway. It definitely won't remove the XX Speed 6.5 with an X Fuji Tour shaft out of my bag. Much better than the first Comp (although JB did great with it) particularly from a distance standpoint but doesn't perform like the speed series. Better looking at address than the speeds but won't win any traditional look contests with the very visible (in sunlight) carbon top. The Xs aren't available until July while I've seen some F and M higher lofts in shops late last week so everyone should have them this week I would guess. I also think the initial protos that were out there got criticized for the very loud sound and they muted them down because this one I have is the most muted carbon driver I have hit---almost C4 (not mizuno, wilson, FT-3, Adams etc. etc.) like sound. As the previous poster said very "poor" feedback as to whether you hit it well. The face does seem hot but the sound is a little too "soft" particularly compared to the demos that were in the reps. bags initially.

It is also hard to figure what handicap they are going after since the fairway lofts are pretty weak.

So Sandy do we expect to see that 8 degree/X Ys6.6 in the BST?

Probably going for $1500 because it will have tour grade titanium and space shuttle grade carbon but only at BSs Tour Equipment department :idhitit:

Found it interesting to read the reason why Cobra did it was they didn't think anyone has done a comp driver right yet (probably including them) so they wanted the challenge to see if they could further their market share. Since they are right behind Taylor Made and Callaway in Driver sales (by the way the ONLY companies that do double digit sales in drivers--not Nike with all their wins, not Cleveland, not Ping) they wanted use the profits to do a premium driver. I don't know if they will get these in their staffs hands since all the ads you see promoting them they are careful to not mention what drivers they are all playing (presently only JB using a discontinued model).

The HS9 is easily the loudest driver I have ever hit. I think I am going to sue them for my hearing loss. But this driver looks amazing at the set up. I just hope they will have an actual square X speed model. I hate all this closed face crap.

Evidently two models as far as noise. The ones the reps. have that everyone was complaining about (which were Fs and Ms). The ones I've had lately which have been Xs are evidently a response to the noise complaint as they sound very muted (like you would expect from a carbon). Hopefully that will stay that way with the Xs being quiet and the Fs and Ms being loud so the high cappers can think they really smoked one.

saw the new COBRA today and it still looks the same with the exception of the sole plate. i read of the weighting technology,sounds smart. maybe a little more carbon fiber weave look but still the closed face look. i know its all an optical illusion because of the way the crown is shaped but i need that confidence at address, hope you guys like it.

saw the new COBRA today and it still looks the same with the exception of the sole plate. i read of the weighting technology,sounds smart. maybe a little more carbon fiber weave look but still the closed face look. i know its all an optical illusion because of the way the crown is shaped but i need that confidence at address, hope you guys like it.

You need to see a X model those are square faced. None exist by the way to date, the reps. don't even have samples. The Fs are still closed faced (amount depends on loft) and the Ms are extremely closed faced so I don't doubt they "still" look closed because they are.

The X Speed is square faced. It actually looks a little more open than my G2. I recently put an Aldila VS Proto S in my 9.5 X Speed and it's fantastic.

It's 265 uphill to the net at the Golfsmith Range in Austin and I was flying it about 8-10 up the net....with my G2 I usually 1 hop it to the Net.

I have another X Speed 9.5 that is being shafted with a Diamana 73 Stiff as we speak and I will try it out the weekend.

We just got the HS9's in for demo and I must say they are a DRASTIC improvement over the speed series! Much more traditional look and great feel. They do not look near as "pointy" at the toe (which I HATED on the speed series) They launch the ball quite high for the loft (partly because of the Ys shafts). The M is not near as offset as it was, the F looks almost square, and the X looks open. They are not as loud as the speed series with a little more muted sound due to the composite in the sole. Each model comes with a different Ys shaft (they base it off swing speed) and each model has a different color scheme. They come stock with the new Lamkin Dual Density Torsion Control Tour grip.

We just got the HS9's in for demo and I must say they are a DRASTIC improvement over the speed series! Much more traditional look and great feel. They do not look near as "pointy" at the toe (which I HATED on the speed series) They launch the ball quite high for the loft (partly because of the Ys shafts). The M is not near as offset as it was, the F looks almost square, and the X looks open. They are not as loud as the speed series with a little more muted sound due to the composite in the sole. Each model comes with a different Ys shaft (they base it off swing speed) and each model has a different color scheme. They come stock with the new Lamkin Dual Density Torsion Control Tour grip.

Post pictures of the Xs since according to Cobra none exist even in reps. hands.

Post pictures of the Xs since according to Cobra none exist even in reps. hands.

That's simply impossible if they're starting to sell them this month (or next month, or even August). Just getting manufacturing lines set up takes time, much less all the testing they have to do before they'll mass produce something.

I have NO IDEA what you are talking about with your post. Everybody has their Fs and Ms last week or this week since they were shipped last week. The Xs will NOT be available until July for sale. The Fs and Ms have been here and assembled for a number of weeks---just building inventory before they shipped. They are presently doing the same for the Xs (when the reps. see one shipping will be shortly after that) but had some shortages of shafts and absolutely no 8 degrees in existence other than the one that was sent to the USGA for approval. The testing has been done for many many months. I have no idea what is "simply impossible".

Does noone find it weird that the "sweet zone" is the same size in the Speeds and the HS9?? Then what´s the point of the HS9 if it doesn´t have a bigger sweetspot??

Maybe just the material of the top and the extra weight distributions (3 vs. 2). IMHO the faces might be very similar, if not exact the same, for HS9 and Speed.

What I find most interesting are the details on this driver. The website says under player profile:

265 yards avg. distance

104+ mph avg. swing speed

150+ mph avg ball speed

In my humble opinion, this driver won't "fit" 95% of hte golfing population. These are AVG's they are posting....Guys are going to buy this club and will never be able to get the full benefit of it.

I think they missed the mark on htis one.....look for lots of resales on Ebay from guys who will say...I simply can't hit the thing....

Rob