2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Myrtle Beach for a single... who's a hacker :(

DoinShots

Where can I go?
Hi all,

Noob here - I'm spending this weekend in Myrtle Beach for my wife's friends birthday. I will know all of three people in a group of twenty or so (one being my wife), so I figured this would be a great opportunity to get out for a bit (most likely Saturday). I did ask said friend's husband if he wanted to play, but he will likely be tied up entertaining the masses. As such, I will probably play as a single.

That being said, I REALLY want to play, simply because of all the great things I've heard about the area. Full disclosure, as much as I love the game and try to get out often - I am a mediocre hack, that hits the munis with other self-proclaimed hacks. I have my moments, but they are far outweighed by disasters. One thing I can't be accused of though, is being slow (at least I don't think so) - I try to always be ready, and I know when to pick up. This will be my first time out as a single, if I can muster up the courage. Is there any place I can play without being intimidated either by the course or fellow golfers? Any other tips on playing as a single would be appreciated as well!

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll be fine whereever you go, as long as you play the appropriate tees. MB isn't about "great golfers" - it's about "great golf". Where in MB are you staying? North, Central or South? And what's your budget - are you looking for a fantastic course, just someplace to play? What kind of courses do you like - links, tree-lined?

Thanks for the reply - I think (heavily emphasized) we're staying in North Myrtle Beach. Truthfully, I'm getting in the car and driving where Gabby Garmin and the wife tell me to.

I'm used to paying around 50 bucks on the weekends to play. I definitely figured on paying more down there, but have no idea what to expect. 100-150 would be my max, I suppose.

As far as courses - aside from not scaring the hell out of me, I'm open to anything. For some reason, I like water on a course, for no reason other than aesthetics. Open would be nice, as I tend to have a bit of a slice, and tree-lined fairways have a tendency to make my balls vanish shout.gif

Thanks again!

My recommendation would be Kings North on 501. It's in central Myrtle Beach (not north) but is *very* forgiving off many of the fairways, where you'll find a lot of manicured areas so that you'll at least be able to see and play errant drives (rather than out-of-bounds or in the woods). There is a lot of water including an island green (don't get too scared by that, though, as it's only 100-105 yards, so it's not overly intimidating). There's also a really cool par-5 called "The Gambler". The course was in good shape when I played it mid-April and subsequent trip reports on a forum I frequent have been similarly very positive about the conditions. Finally, they reportedly don't aerate until mid-July (you should call and confirm that at any course you choose, since May is prime aerating time in Myrtle). You can also try Legends Heathland - a links style course - virtually right across the street on 501. Legends is my favorite - it has 3 courses onsite. If you want something a bit more challenging, Moorland is a stunning course with water, huge bunkers (which can be *very* difficult) - it's a really fun course - one of my favorites. Legends doesn't aerate until June (again, call and confirm if you choose that). Legends will also be a bit cheaper than Kings North. You should be happy with any of these courses.

Good luck - and report back.

Also at Myrtle Beach national (where Kings North is) are two other courses. (West and South I believe) Both are easier to play and cost less than Kings North. Kings North is a beautiful track though, but if your games not on, it can kick your butt. Speaking of the Gambler hole at KN, last time I played, by gambling, I was over the green in two, to my surprise, there was more lake behind the green! Dangit!

I can't believe with 20 people in your group, no one else wants to golf....

Here's a link to some deals in Myrtle. Looks like you're hitting it at prime time though.. Have Fun!

http://www.mbn.com/c...Time%20Specials

The Gambler....

gambler.jpg

X________________________________ Sign Here

"Speaking of the Gambler hole at KN, last time I played, by gambling, I was over the green in two, to my surprise, there was more lake behind the green! Dangit!"

I've only played it once, but it appeared to me that the long route is no more forgiving than the short/"gambling" route. Going around the water brings a thin curving fairway into play, where you have a trap on the outside and water on the inside - not exactly what I think of when I think of "playing safe". (I bogeyed the hole - hybrid to the fairway, hybrid into the water, drop, hybrid to green, and 2 putt) But a very fun hole!

I haven't played any of the other MBN courses, and Kings North *is* the most expensive of the group, so I'm glad you chimed in.

Thanks for the replies guys - definitely much appreciated. It wasn't so much that no one else wanted to play - I just don't know anyone else, except for the birthday girl and her husband. With us just getting here tonight and leaving Sunday, I didn't have an opportunity to ask anyone else.

So, while waiting for my wife to get ready for dinner, I decided to go ahead and book a tee time while I had the balls to do it. That being said, in my moment of courage (or stupidity), I decided to say "Screw it," and book King's North. Definitely a significant price difference, but I figured

a) I'm away, therefore I'll splurge - I don't know when/if I'll make it back here again!

b) I'm away, I'll never see the rest of my foursome again.

c) I'm super intrigued by "The Gambler."

and, most importantly,

d) my wife said, "Go ahead, you deserve it." yahoo.gif

I'll let you know how it goes...

Beechwood and Waterway Hills was exactly what I was thinking he would want to play as neither of those courses are intimidating nor would they be overcrowded and you would save a few bucks, not bad courses but not the "elite of MB either." You will like the course you are playing though.

Callaway Great Big Bertha with Speeder
Callaway Great Big Bertha 3 Wood with TiNi
Ping I20 17* Hybrid with ProjectX 6.0
Ping I200 with Modus 105
Vokey SM5 54 and 60 wedges
Odyssey Tour Series 4

Kings is a great parkland style course but other than the Gambler and the SC Island green, its not a very memorable place to play. I would suggest since your staying in North and you want to splurge I would book The Grande Dunes resort or the Love or Fazio course at Bare Foot Landing. Or if you like courses with water Check out Tidewater, it has several holes that play along the ocean and intercostal waterway, and is also located in the NMB. All these courses are much more scenic then Kings North and 20 mins Closer to you. My suggestions are all top shelf low country style courses that reflect more of what Golf in MB is about and are only found in a few other parts of the country. If you really want to sample what golf in MB is like at its best I would look this direction.

Titleist 915D3 / GD Tour AD DI7s
TM RBZ 15* Diamana BB
Titleist 910H 19* 21* Diamana Kai'li
Titleist 714 AP2 4 - PW
Cameron Studio Stainless NP2
Vokey SM 52* 58*

just a little North in to North carolina is [url="http://www.thistlegolf.com/"]http://www.thistlegolf.com/[/url] . I played it a couple years ago and it was awesome! I will be there in a couple of weeks and plan on playing it again.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

King's North is great and I wouldn't worry about it if you decide to stay with that. I found the entire course enjoyable and there was plenty of water for you to challenge. If I remember correctly from playing it a couple years ago all the par 3's are over water and there are a few drives that give you the option of trying to carry it over some.

If you are reconsidering, I would suggest River's Edge up the road in North Carolina. It shouldn't be too far for you to drive from NMB since I was looking at playing it and I'm staying in central Myrtle Beach and it's about 35 miles from there. It's rated in the top 100 public courses by Golf Digest and I believe the rate right now is around $65. I hear it's very scenic and I can't wait to play it. Good luck trying to pick just one course. I'm having a hard time choosing only 6. I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you choose. partytime2.gif

Edit: And don't be overly concerned about playing with others. When I went a couple years ago I was alone and always paired with different people and found them all enjoyable and not really concerne about the quality of golf they (or I) were playing.

[quote name='jastac' date='21 May 2010 - 11:05 PM' timestamp='1274497545' post='2459260']
Kings is a great parkland style course but other than the Gambler and the SC Island green, its not a very memorable place to play. I would suggest since your staying in North and you want to splurge I would book The Grande Dunes resort or the Love or Fazio course at Bare Foot Landing. Or if you like courses with water Check out Tidewater, it has several holes that play along the ocean and intercostal waterway, and is also located in the NMB. All these courses are much more scenic then Kings North and 20 mins Closer to you. My suggestions are all top shelf low country style courses that reflect more of what Golf in MB is about and are only found in a few other parts of the country. If you really want to sample what golf in MB is like at its best I would look this direction.
[/quote]

Tidewater is my favorite course down there, but he was asking for courses that wouldn't be overly penal. I don't think Tidewater fits that description. There's a lot of marsh, and nearly every fairway that doesn't have marsh is tree-lined. It's a tough course for a high handicapper!

Grande Dunes was actually my first thought, but they're going to be aerating at the time he's down there, and I don't think it's worth spending that much money on a course with aerated greens.

Apologies in advance for the length of this post...

Reporting back... MBN King's North- I have to admit, I was a bit intimidated when I first drove in, simply because of the crowds outside the clubhouse. Checked in no problem and made my way over to the starter, who was quite unhappy as he tried to get a large, late, and hungover group off. Met a very nice gentleman who had the same time as me, we bs'ed for a bit which allayed my fears of going out as a single - except he was going off on 10, and I was on 1. The starter worked some magic, and we went out together, along with another single. I disclosed up front my hacker status, and despite that they were super friendly!

What I remember -

- I remember it was a beautiful course. They definitely don't make em that way around me.

- It was a bit slow - in large part due to the aforementioned outing.

- I remember I only lost three balls - two on "The Gambler." I took a chance figuring I was on vaca, and I paid for it. Oh well.

- The fact I only lost three balls was in large thanks to the forgiving-ness (is that a word?) of the course that Chris_NH pointed out.

- The SC green had some kind of charity contest thing going on. I got on the green - and subsequently ran off. No prizes for me.

- The wall of one of the bunkers ate my ball. I had to physically reach in and get it out.

- I would have birdied the par 5 on the back if I knew how to putt.

I shot a 106, which for most on here is laughable - but pretty damn good for me clapping.gif

Overall, I'd say my first time out as a single was a success, and something that I wouldn't mind doing more often.

@ Chris_NH - sent you a PM.

@ dgn - you were right - this may just be the top of a slippery slope for me. We're already talking about our next trip back!

To everyone else - I'll be keeping your recommendations in mind for next time, now that I know I can play as a single!

Thanks again!!!