2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jack Frost National?

harpua728

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jack frost is ok ive played it like 3 times it didnt do much for me and it was pricey never played split rock here its nice but tight i play in that area alot and i like to play mountain laurel in white haven 55$with cart on weekend and there is another good course called mountain valley they have 27 holes and are priced reasonable

Personally, National trumps both of those courses. Jack Frost is directly across the street from Split Rock which is a total joke of a course unless you like quirky holes, leave all your woods in the car.

Jack Frost is worth the price of admission yet they are still lacking a clubhouse. Practice area is nice and balls are free for warmups, staff is nice and the starter will help you select the appropriate tees for your game. IMO, save for a few holes the front is much nicer than the back but great course overall and tough from the tips (LONG).

If in Tannersville look into SkyTop too -- great course and killer scotch bar/library for after golf -- an absolute must. Other than that there are some better courses a bit of a drive ~30-40 minutes in Blue Ridge Trail (Mountain Top), Morgan Hill (Easton), Center Valley (Bethlehem), are all solid courses that offer great play and a challenge. They are always in great shape too.

If you want to take a trip about 45 minutes north look up Woodloch. Great place that I happen to frequent quite a bit.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

Played Jack Frost early last year on a miserable early spring day, 45 degrees, constant mist that eventually became a heavy enough rain to make us quit on the 14th hole. I've been chomping at the bit to get back there and hope to this summer.

I really enjoyed the holes we played, and think they did a really nice job using the contour of the land the build an interesting track. Hard to remember specifics, but I can remember several tee shots needing to be shaped, and you could stand on just about every tee and know how you want to attack it.

The course is still pretty new (I think this is only the second full season) and it played extremely firm. Pretty sure I'll never hit a longer drive than the ball I hit there. Sharpish dogleg left, onto a rock hard fairway (even in the rain) and bounded downhill. We measured it at 380 yards!!! Must have been 120 yards of roll, it was amazing. The entire course played firm, but not that firm all around.

I've played a ton of golf up in the Poconos and JFN is definitely a great addition. I'd certainly put it on top of my list when heading back.

I'd agree about Woodloch being a great track, but very tough, and insanely unforgiving. Also, Skytop is a great property. Golf course is fun and always in great shape. The hotel is an old-time place, like something you'd see in The Shining. Skytop's also the site of my best 9 holes ever. Was so excited to play great and show off for my grandfather. Instead I shot 50 on the front 9, felt like such a chump for telling how great I'd been playing that year. Drove the 10th green (par 4), made birdie. Stuck it close on 11, made birdie. Dropped a 40 footer on 12 for birdie. Parred 13, then birdie on 14. I had never been more than -1 on a 9, and here I was 4 under. So nervous on 18 that I made double, but still had my first under par 9. Great day, great memories. That's what it's all about, right?

Skytop is considered private "with public play allowed on a day-to-day basis dictated by member traffic". I am certain with the amount of members lost with the economy the past two years you'll have no trouble calling up saying you are in the area and would like to secure a time -- the people there are extremely friendly.

And like was mentioned earleir if the forecast calls for rain for a few days JFN will be dry, the fairways have more drainage than any course I have ever seen. If we get rain on Thurs/Fri decently heavy and the weather looks good for Sat we'll always book JFN.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:

Edgewood is crap for the area IMO. There have to be 10 better courses within a 20 minute drive. Went there once mid-summer last year and never went back, with Blue Ridge Trail like 5 miles away why waste time at Edgewood?

I agree with the above on Split Rock, garbage, drive across the street -- literally across the street -- to JFN.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:

• 2 weeks later...

Played Edgewood this past weekend, thankfully for free. The course is awful, really bottom of the barrel. Its a swampy, buggy mess.

I was impressed with Jack Frost. Its a challenging mountain course that is very tough the first time around, especially if you play from either of the back tees. Barely a flat hole on the course, lot of elevation changes. Course was in very good shape, greens multi tiered on a lot of holes but played slower than they looked. Not an easy place to score well if you haven't played it, may be frustrating for some. Its cut straight out of the woods, so errant drives are long gone. Very nice helpful staff, and a great grass range, short game area and putting green.

• 3 weeks later...