2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Pros and Cons of PGM Program

I'm going into my senior year of high school and I'm looking into the PGM program. I've been looking into it for quite a while but am starting to have some second thoughts about it. There are other schools that I like that have good business schools but no PGM and I'm stuck between going to one of them or sticking to the PGM. I can't really see myself being a head professional or someone working at a golf course so this is why I'm confused about the PGM. I want to be in the golf business, but I don't know if having a PGM degree would help me at all. Thanks.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, PGM is Professional Golf Management, key being on management. I believe it's mostly intended for people who are planning on going into golf course management, i.e. general manager. If you want to be a rep or something for one of the big brands, then I don't think you need to go into the PGM program. However, I don't think you need to go to school to get it either, though it might kill two birds with one stone.

First step is first...passing the PAT. Do that, and you'll open up many doors, and you can then find out what you want to do.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

A lot of it depends on what you would like to do in the golf industry, however the great thing about some of the PGM programs is that some you can get business/marketing degrees in as well as your PGA certification, which a lot of reps, etc. have as well. I will say one thing when people ask me this, if you want to get into the golf business, do it because you LOVE golf, not because you love to PLAY golf, there's a big difference and a lot of times kids in the PGM don't realize that playing is only a small part of what a golf professional (in any area of the business) does during the week. Please PM me if you need anything, I went through the PGM at UNLV and would be more than glad to help with any questions you may have.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm only looking at schools that offer a business degree along with the PGM so to me, that's like two birds one stone. The only reason I'm questioning why is because none of the PGM schools would be a first choice without the PGM. I think that right now, the program would allow me to explore different opportunities in both the golfing/management part of the industry as well as the business portion of it. The PAT shouldn't be a problem so i think the PGM is looking pretty good right now.

im in the same boat as you. id like to go through the pgm program and get my bachelors in ba. that way if i decide on a non golf career i can do that.

i will also be a senior in highschool and was in the same delima as you. i thought the pgm program would be a great thing and open alot of opportunites. but i asked around talked to some local pros and they said tht its not the smartest thing to do. just get a degree in business there are so many more thing you can do with it. i mean most ppl tht are looking to hire just want to see tht you have a degree. just to show tht u can finish what you started.

[quote name='Connorws' timestamp='1281154835' post='2623864']
i will also be a senior in highschool and was in the same delima as you. i thought the pgm program would be a great thing and open alot of opportunites. but i asked around talked to some local pros and they said tht its not the smartest thing to do. just get a degree in business there are so many more thing you can do with it. i mean most ppl tht are looking to hire just want to see tht you have a degree. just to show tht u can finish what you started.
[/quote]
I know what you're saying but the PGM program gives you a degree in business as well as a class A certification. So even if you don't like the golf business after you graduate, you still have a business degree to fall back on.

[quote name='golfr26' timestamp='1281310341' post='2626638']
[/quote]
I know what you're saying but the PGM program gives you a degree in business as well as a class A certification. So even if you don't like the golf business after you graduate, you still have a business degree to fall back on.
[/quote]

that was my ?. glad u answered it because i wanted to make sure the bachelors degree wasent golf business administration. glad its just business administration.

[quote name='Nobounds' timestamp='1281367321' post='2627695']
[quote name='golfr26' timestamp='1281310341' post='2626638']
[/quote]
[/quote]

that was my ?. glad u answered it because i wanted to make sure the bachelors degree wasent golf business administration. glad its just business administration.
[/quote]

eastern kentucky and methodist. a friend of mine is at eastern kentucky right now and he loves it.

I say if you can get accepted into their program and into the school, go do it! but be very picky on what college offers the PGM program. Ferris state and ASU are good ones to consider.

If you want the fast track into getting into the business and learning all aspects of the industry then look at the 2 yr golf business schools like the Golf Academy. I went there after I couldnt cut it at the 4yr college and earned my degree in less than 2 yrs and started working in the business at 21 yrs old. I worked for Taylormade and Nickent Golf so far. It could be another route to think about. If you want more information, here is the number for one of their school reps who will send you information in the mail. Doesnt hurt the call. (760) 458-3873

Good Luck either way.

[quote name='GAASDKT' timestamp='1281383377' post='2628318']
I say if you can get accepted into their program and into the school, go do it! but be very picky on what college offers the PGM program. Ferris state and ASU are good ones to consider.

If you want the fast track into getting into the business and learning all aspects of the industry then look at the 2 yr golf business schools like the Golf Academy. I went there after I couldnt cut it at the 4yr college and earned my degree in less than 2 yrs and started working in the business at 21 yrs old. I worked for Taylormade and Nickent Golf so far. It could be another route to think about. If you want more information, here is the number for one of their school reps who will send you information in the mail. Doesnt hurt the call. (760) 458-3873

Good Luck either way.
[/quote]

I would do that but if I get out of the two year program and don't like the golf business, I wouldn't be able to go back to a four year college. I would be kind of stuck. By going to a PGM school I would be able to get a class A along with a degree in business. Therefore if I don't like the golf business, I'll have something to fall back on.

[quote name='golfr26' timestamp='1281500691' post='2631709']
[quote name='GAASDKT' timestamp='1281383377' post='2628318']

Good Luck either way.
[/quote]

I would do that but if I get out of the two year program and don't like the golf business, I wouldn't be able to go back to a four year college. I would be kind of stuck. By going to a PGM school I would be able to get a class A along with a degree in business. Therefore if I don't like the golf business, I'll have something to fall back on.
[/quote]
Smart call

[quote name='Nobounds' timestamp='1281579874' post='2633760']
golfr im thinking the exact same thing. esp right after you can get your masters in business administration and earn a nice job.
[/quote]

I've visited Methodist too but Eastern Kentucky is pretty far away from me. You should look into Mississippi State too though. I took a visit down there a few weeks ago and their program is one of the best in the country (Top 3 would be Ferris State, Mississippi State, and Methodist I think). And another plus for MSU is the tuition. the tuition without financial aid for an out of state student is only like 13,000 compared to Methodist's 25,000. And if you can get the out of state waived (which I think is pretty easy), it's only like 5,000. My top two are Methodist and Mississippi State. It's really nice campus plus it's an SEC school. The people are great too.

I'm a freshman in the PGM program at Mississippi State and it's been one of the best decisions I've made. I went to college right after highschool and did more partying than studying so I dropped out after 2 years. I'm 26 and married now but after 5 years of working dead end jobs living pay check to pay check, I knew I had to go back to school. Golf has been a passion of mine since I was a kid and I found out about the PGM program through MSU from my wife who is an alumni. Spring 2010 was my first semester and like I said it was the best decision I could have made. At MSU your major will be Marketing along with PGM. Jeff Adkerson and Adam Scott who are the program director and coordinator are both great guys who will bend over backwards for you. A cool thing about the PGM program is the 3 internships you will go on. I just completed my 1st which was for 3 months at a private club in Florida so you get a lot of real world experience along with a quality education. The other 2 internships will be for 8 months and have the oppurtunity to travel the country. For me deciding on the PGM program was a no brainer but it'a a lot of work. I'm still considered an out of state student since I moved from Florida but the tuition won't break the bank through loans and scholarships. Hope this helps and good luck on your decision

I also have a good friend who is in the PGM program at Methodist and he loves it there. They have one of the best D3 teams in the country every year but it is expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at Methodist and EKU. i was the first visit at EKU's new Business Building. They just got a brand new slomo cam and putting aid cam. I Loved there campus. Methodist has an absolutely amazing facility but there campus wasn't that nice. It would make being ten hours from home kinda tough. Landon is a really nice guy and from what i heard he makes the transition to Methodist easy. Affording Methodist isn't really that big of an issue but there ties with Titleist are second to none and idk how i could pass up Methodist. The more i think about it i think i had an even better relationship with Ross at EKU. I really don't know where to go. can someone help me out.

Ping G400 9* - Oban Kiyoshi Black 65x
Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 15* - Graphite Design AD-DI 75x

Taylormade Sim 18* - Diamana Kai'li  70x
Taylormade 790 4i - Graphite Design AD-DI 95x 
Taylormade P-7MC 5-P - DG TI Onyx x100
Titleist SM8 50, 55 & 60 - DG TI Onyx s400
Artisan 0519 - 35"

The PGM is a great program. But if you don't want to be a Head Pro or DOG you should really just get your degree. You can do the PGM after you get out of school if you still want to. Having your PGA membership straight out of school is awesome, but the likelyhood of starting out as anything more than an assistant is not likely. I know clothing and club reps that started out a assistants and head pro's that moved on to sales which will help in the long run knowing the club business and being able to relate to the pro's and not just seeming like a salesman trying to peddle your goods. Either way you can't go wrong. Worst case you go to a school that offers the PGM and if you decide it's not for you you just go to another major. Good Luck!!!

[quote name='PGAMBR2007' timestamp='1284178129' post='2690465']
The PGM is a great program. But if you don't want to be a Head Pro or DOG you should really just get your degree. You can do the PGM after you get out of school if you still want to. Having your PGA membership straight out of school is awesome, but the likelyhood of starting out as anything more than an assistant is not likely. I know clothing and club reps that started out a assistants and head pro's that moved on to sales which will help in the long run knowing the club business and being able to relate to the pro's and not just seeming like a salesman trying to peddle your goods. Either way you can't go wrong. Worst case you go to a school that offers the PGM and if you decide it's not for you you just go to another major. Good Luck!!!
[/quote]
Why would get a degree and then go through PGM program when you can get BOTH at the same time. Almost all PGM schools are actually business or marketing degrees. So you leave as a Class A and a Bachelors Degree in Business or Marketing exactly as you would if you weren't a part of the PGM Program.

[quote name='daniel32293' timestamp='1284127961' post='2689188']
I'm looking at Methodist and EKU. i was the first visit at EKU's new Business Building. They just got a brand new slomo cam and putting aid cam. I Loved there campus. Methodist has an absolutely amazing facility but there campus wasn't that nice. It would make being ten hours from home kinda tough. Landon is a really nice guy and from what i heard he makes the transition to Methodist easy. Affording Methodist isn't really that big of an issue but there ties with Titleist are second to none and idk how i could pass up Methodist. The more i think about it i think i had an even better relationship with Ross at EKU. I really don't know where to go. can someone help me out.
[/quote]

Hey man I know both Ross and Landon, both class act guys (Ross went to Methodist while I was there) I really enjoyed my time at Methodist but it isn't for everyone ( I had 100+ in my freshmen class and graduated with 30) I liked Methodist for it's small size and how you are not just a number. But I would reccomend EKU if you are looking for the true "Big College" experience. A lot of people don't like how small methodist is (roughly 3,000 students) so it depends on what you are looking for....pm me if you have any other questions

Epic Flash Driver 3 wood
Apex Pro 3-PW MD 50 + 56PM Knox putter
Snell, B330, Chrome soft

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1284179099' post='2690482']
[/quote]
Why would get a degree and then go through PGM program when you can get BOTH at the same time. Almost all PGM schools are actually business or marketing degrees. So you leave as a Class A and a Bachelors Degree in Business or Marketing exactly as you would if you weren't a part of the PGM Program.
[/quote]

If you aren't gonna use your PGA membership as an HP or DOG what is the use in wasting all the extra time doing the work and doing the apprenticeship?

[quote name='PGAMBR2007' timestamp='1284218494' post='2690890']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1284179099' post='2690482']
[/quote]
[/quote]

If you aren't gonna use your PGA membership as an HP or DOG what is the use in wasting all the extra time doing the work and doing the apprenticeship?
[/quote]

[size="2"]If you work anywhere associated with the golf business you are better of with not only your Class “A” but also with a PGM degree, guys work for years in OEM’s before they land that great rep job. This business is all about who you know, and the sooner you are making connections in this business, the better off you will be. That’s why I strongly recommend high school kids to go PGM.[/size]

Epic Flash Driver 3 wood
Apex Pro 3-PW MD 50 + 56PM Knox putter
Snell, B330, Chrome soft