2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Titleist Vokey Spin Milled vs Nike Spin Velocity

Ducky

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, i don't think it matters as much as you think, it is more important that you pic the ball cleanly to generate spin. grooves really only help in the rain, or in long grass.

If you want more spin, I would first grind the bounce off your wedge (or at least grind it dowm) and shallow out your swing, and pic the ball clean. this will increase the spin 10 fold what the grooves will.

Scott

Seriously, i don't think it matters as much as you think, it is more important that you pic the ball cleanly to generate spin. grooves really only help in the rain, or in long grass.

If you want more spin, I would first grind the bounce off your wedge (or at least grind it dowm) and shallow out your swing, and pic the ball clean. this will increase the spin 10 fold what the grooves will.

Scott

Absolutely incorrect. An aggressive approach into the ball will create more spin every time. The only club you want to be hitting on the upswing or on a shallower plane is the driver/tee shot to keep the spin rate down. And to say that grooves have no impact on a ball's spin is also very much a false statement. While the effect of grooves is relatively small in the whole scheme of ball behavior, it is enough to mean the difference between 3/4 wedge releasing forwards 10 feet, or coming back 10 feet. Vokey Spin Milled and Callaway MD grooves are very aggressive and don't shred the ball cover as a byproduct of channeling water and grass away. They are designed specifically to increase spin, and do so very well. Back in the olden days when grooves were cast into the clubs, your assertion was very true. The "illegal" size of the Eye2 wedges were most effective in that regard but wouldn't damage today's balls (the balata balls of yesteryear were very much not so durable).

Ducky, as to your question the easy answer is "go with what you like." If you like the Nike wedges at address more than the Vokey's or even like the brand more, that would probably be your best bet. The Nike's are a good 20-30 bucks cheaper I think (call discount dan's to see what pricing he can give you). I would think that the Spin Milled series would give you more spin, but that's just based on what I've read--I've never hit the Spin Velocity wedges. One thing I do know is that new wedges are usually a good investment as face wear does affect playability. If you do go the new wedge direction, hit a couple buckets with it--take some of the bite off before ruining your platinums. :yahoo:

beruo

:hi:

the vokey (non spin milled) to the nike sv is a draw. they both spin the same, and deciding between the two is personal preference based on looks (shape, size, color) and loft/bounce options. best investment wise, if you like the sv, its the better investment because you will save almost $40.

now, comparing the vokey spin milled to the nike sv, the spin milled is going to spin more. if your purchase is base solely on spin and nothing else, then the vokey spin milled is the better investment.

as berou stated above, to spin the ball, you need an aggressive approach on the ball. you need to be accelerating through the hitting area, and hitting down on the ball, compressing the ball. with this swing, you will be able to stop or spin bakc most any shot. to also help you with your decision, let me tell you a story of a friend of mine. he went out and got a couple spin milled and while we were playing he started griping because he couldn't spin the wedges back like the pros do. first we are playing a nice muni course, with firm greens that were recently sanded, he is playing a top flite xl 3000 super long, and he too is picking the ball. he couldn't even get the ball to stop. now i was able to get the ball to stop on a few greens, but never spin back, and i was using vokey (non spin milled) and a nike one platinum and precept u-tri tour ball. the ball and the greens have an influence how much you spin the ball back. don't think by having spin milled wedges you are the next phil mickelson.

also, at no point do you want a shallow swing, in which you pick the ball. this is wrong wrong wrong.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Thanks for the replies.

My concern is more within around 50 yards of the greens. I can stop the ball fine on three-quarter or full swings, as I do hit down on the ball from a steep angle. However, within 50 yards (particularly on chip shots) I have trouble stopping the ball sufficiently.

It may be a technical fault, then again, it may be a problem with the bounce (as I am suspecting). My LW at the moment has 10 bounce, the Nike SV LW has 10 bounce also, where as the Titleist Vokey has 4 bounce available.

I do like Nike as a brand, but from what I am hearing Titleist seems to be the better of the two (particularly in relation to wedges).

For future reference, I use Nike One Blacks.

Please correct me if I am wrong. From my experience, I tend to think that the specific balls makes biggest impact on the spin. I'm not a club junkie. I use Adams (Tom Watson series) wedges. I can spin Pro V, HX tour, etc without any problems. But when I use So/Lo, Limbo, NXT, etc.. they don't spin or stop on a dime. The cover on the expensive balls contact better to the club and spin lot more.

Thanks for the replies.

My concern is more within around 50 yards of the greens. I can stop the ball fine on three-quarter or full swings, as I do hit down on the ball from a steep angle. However, within 50 yards (particularly on chip shots) I have trouble stopping the ball sufficiently.

It may be a technical fault, then again, it may be a problem with the bounce (as I am suspecting). My LW at the moment has 10 bounce, the Nike SV LW has 10 bounce also, where as the Titleist Vokey has 4 bounce available.

I do like Nike as a brand, but from what I am hearing Titleist seems to be the better of the two (particularly in relation to wedges).

For future reference, I use Nike One Blacks.

Not a technical fault at all. Take a look at pros bags, just about all of them carry one spin milled or maxed out groove wedge, it's usually their lob. Maxed out grooves help a ton on little short pitches and chips around the green. I don't care how good your technique is, since you're not taking a big swing it's tough to generate a lot of spin, even if you're named Woods or Mickelson.

I think the Vokey SM will help you a lot in the 60* or 58* range. Also, good for you for considering bounce angles. Too many people overlook bounce, and it's just as important for proper wedge play as any other factor. FYI, You can also get the Vokey in 8* bounce, I use the SM.08 and I love it. It's got a wide flat sole that's very playable when open. With the 60.04 i'd be digging trenches on full swings.

Hope that helps.

beruo, your right, I was wrong about the new groove cuts, I didn't realize but your right.

Now, about shallowing out your swing, when you grind all the bounce off of a wedge, that is the only way to hit it. if he takes a normal descending blow, he will dig (maybe all the way to china).

I personally have gone back to wedges with a little bounce (6 to 10), but nothing spun for me like my old clevelands with 0 bouce.

beruo, your right, I was wrong about the new groove cuts, I didn't realize but your right.

Now, about shallowing out your swing, when you grind all the bounce off of a wedge, that is the only way to hit it. if he takes a normal descending blow, he will dig (maybe all the way to china).

I personally have gone back to wedges with a little bounce (6 to 10), but nothing spun for me like my old clevelands with 0 bouce.

Actually, even with steep, aggressive swing paths, a wedge with low bounce can be very useful in very dry conditions, and for use on tight lies. Wedges are most useful when matched to the player AND to the conditions being played (and it makes a great excuse to buy more wedges :yahoo: ). To prevent digging with lower bounce you'd want a wedge that has a wider sole, mid to moderate camber, and a killed leading edge. You'd just have to be sure not to hit it too fat, otherwise you're not going to be making all that good a shot (but what fat shot is?). This way the wedge won't dig too much at all, and you won't have the groundskeeper chasing you down. :yahoo:

beruo

:hi:

while i agree with the majority of the responses and suggestions here, i'm thinking you should find a ball with a softer cover if you're looking to spin it more. the wedge, in my opinion, should be the last item to replace. first should be your attack and contact with the ball, second should be the ball, last should be the wedge itself.

of course, if you're looking to find an excuse to get a new wedge... :yahoo:

• 4 months later...

I wanted to bump this thread now that the Nike SV Tour has been released. I currently have a Titleist SM Vokey 60.04 (Oil Can) sitting here in the wrapper. I am tempted to unwrap it and try it out, but thought that perhaps the Nike SV Tour may have improved the spinning abilities over the standard Nike SV.

Any thoughts?

Vokey Spin Milleds will spin more than the new Nike SV Tour wedges . . . period. The grooves are noticeably wider and more agressive.

I have the Nike SV Tour wedges in my bag . . . period. I have both the 56/14 and the 60/10 (which, despite the high bounce is VERY playable around the greens). They are slightly larger in profile, and have a squarer toe, which suits my eye better at address. The sole grind is more versatile - especially on the 60*, which plays very similarly to my trusty old Cleveland 588 RTG. The grooves are not overly agressive, but provide adequate spin - similar to the CG10s and RAC Y-cutters (which I personally find to spin less than the vokeys and callaway MDs). I also find the stock shafts in the Nikes (s400) to provide more feel on all shots. IN short, I demoed the Nike SV Tour 60 and immediately traded in my 50, 54, and 60 vokey spin milleds to get the 50, 56, and 60 nikes. GREAT feeling and performing wedges, and I could not be happier with them.

Scott

I beg to differ, i switched from 56* CG10 low bounce to 56* Titleist SM w/14* bounce.

HUUGGE differcence in the spin. I play tight courses, and the bounce lets me hit aggressively into the ball to generate spin on greenside shots. out of rough (especially wet rough) this club is amazing.

same for the 60 SM