2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Spaulding TP Mills

suprnva

Worth something or worthless?
I was at my local Play It Again Sports today and I came across this putter. I'm not sure if it's worth picking up or not. It's not in the best shape so I would probably need to get it refinished and I'm not really sure what that would cost. So, is this worth my time to pick up and had worked on or should I just let it sit at the store?

Thanks.

P.S. Sorry for the bad iPhone pictures.

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1301938-2016-witb-before-my-1st-round-of-the-year-tomorrow/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still plenty of these out there - you could get one on ebay for $15. Some of the Spalding TPMs have an incredible feel, but this model probably isn't one of the best. A refinish job (done properly with new finish - not just a quick sanding) is not cheap, maybe $50-$100. You can purchase a pretty decent 2nd hand putter for that kind of cash. As always, just my opinion!

[quote name='oldmannoodles' timestamp='1283995790' post='2686327']
Still plenty of these out there - you could get one on ebay for $15. Some of the Spalding TPMs have an incredible feel, but this model probably isn't one of the best. A refinish job (done properly with new finish - not just a quick sanding) is not cheap, maybe $50-$100. You can purchase a pretty decent 2nd hand putter for that kind of cash. As always, just my opinion!
[/quote]

Yeah, it doesn't sound like it would be worth it then. The putter is only $10, but in the end if it's going to be $60-$110 for something that isn't that great it's just a bad idea.

Thanks for the help!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1301938-2016-witb-before-my-1st-round-of-the-year-tomorrow/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='oldmannoodles' timestamp='1283997393' post='2686390']
No probs. I've refinished about 30 of these TPMs and many are sensational pieces. The no.7 and no.12 have an incredible feel and would be well worth spending the cash on, but the 9 doesn't do anything for me.

[attachment=653347:DSCF7170+(Medium).JPG]
[/quote]

Got anymore pics of your collection? Those are some sweet putters. :good:

I read that the ones with roman numerals were more valuable.
Does anyone know if that's true?

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

[quote name='RainShadow' timestamp='1284011718' post='2686753']
Does anyone no if that's true?
[/quote]

The Roman Numeral collection were the first of the TP Mills Spaldings and contain some of the real classic designs. However, their value is no greater than any of the other TPM series - most can be purchased for a song on ebay. Here's the complete Roman Numeral collection:

[attachment=653468:DSCF7149.JPG]
[attachment=653469:DSCF7152.JPG]
[attachment=653470:DSCF7156.JPG]
[attachment=653471:DSCF7158.JPG]
[attachment=653472:DSCF7160.JPG]

[quote name='oldmannoodles' timestamp='1284022162' post='2686834']
[quote name='RainShadow' timestamp='1284011718' post='2686753']
Does anyone no if that's true?
[/quote]

The Roman Numeral collection were the first of the TP Mills Spaldings and contain some of the real classic designs. However, their value is no greater than any of the other TPM series - most can be purchased for a song on ebay. Here's the complete Roman Numeral collection:

[attachment=653468:DSCF7149.JPG]
[attachment=653469:DSCF7152.JPG]
[attachment=653470:DSCF7156.JPG]
[attachment=653471:DSCF7158.JPG]
[attachment=653472:DSCF7160.JPG]
[/quote]

Nice! How many of the regular number TPM's are there?

[quote name='JASONR5' timestamp='1284065729' post='2687861']
[/quote]
The following is from "HoosierGolfer" from another putter website:

Here is a new 2009 list of putters designed by T.P Mills for the Spalding Company. This list is as of 3/24/2009. I hope it helps with your collection and/or history questions.
M. Conner

Designed by T.P Mills Spalding’s. Chronological Order.

NOTE: Spalding marketed the T.P Mills (first numbered series) line of black finished putter’s which were primarily designed as a flange style blade. Each model was number, the insignia found on the heel side of the face. Center of the face is noted by a dotted line cross, or crosshair. In 1984 most of the T.P.M putters sold for $25.00 RN series and between $30.00 and $40.00 later versions.

The first series released in 1970 was the Roman Numeral Series. Numbered I thru IX. These were produced predominantly in carbon steel, although stainless steel versions do exist. These were made with a black finish with the words Spalding Touring Pro Model engraved in the sole. They have a sight oval on the top line. They have the dotted line crosshair on the center face. The insignia TPM with Roman Numeral number is engraved on the face at the heel. These putters were shafted with True Temper 0.280 diameter shafts. The shaft could be straight, step less with flute or stepped steel in head with a black ferrule. The grips were a mix of either smooth black rubber pistol with Spalding in white or brown leather Spalding. Paint fills were in white. All were right hand only.
Numbers are; I – II – III – IV – V – VI – VII – VIII – IX.

The second series released in 1984 was the Numbered Series (first release). Numbered 1 thru 14. These were produced predominantly in carbon steel, although stainless steel versions do exist. These were made with a black finish with the words Precision Ground (toe), Spalding (center), and Designed by T.P Mills (heel) engraved on the sole. They have a sight dot on the top line. They have the dotted line crosshair on the center face. The insignia T.P.M with the number below is engraved in the face at the heel. These putters were shafted with True Temper 0.280 diameter shafts in head with NO ferrule. Most all of them were of the stepped steel type. Paint fills were white. Grips were smooth black rubber pistol with TPM or Spalding in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 8 – 9 – 10 – 11 – 12 – 14. There was no number 13. Number 10, was left hand only. Number 14 is of the mallet type.

The third series released in 1985 was the Tour Series. These were numbered 15 thru 19. These were produced predominantly in stainless steel, although a few carbon versions are known to exist. These were made with a black finish with the words Precision Ground (toe), Spalding (center), the number below Spalding (center) and Designed by T.P Mills (heel) engraved on the sole. They have a sight dot on the top line. NO crosshairs on the face of this model. The insignia T.P.M with Tour Series below it was engraved on the face at the heel. These putters were shafted with True Temper straight step less steel shafts in 0.350 diameter over stem. Grips were black rubber textured with Tour Series in gold. All paint fills were gold.
Numbers are; 15 – 16 – 17 – 18 – 19. All right handed.

The Numbered Series were re-released in 1991 with these changes. The top line had a narrow line added the full length with a sight dot. The faces of this release were brushed raw finish (no black). Paint fill on the face engravings was in black. The number 12 had a milled pocket in this release. Everything else remained the same as the same of the first release. Grips were smooth black rubber pistol with TPM in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 8 – 9 – 10 – 11 – 12 – 14. There was no number 13. Number 14 was changed to a flange style in left hand. Number 10 remained left hand only.

The Numbered Series were re-released again in 1994 with these changes. The top line had a short wide line on each side of the sight dot about ¾ inch long. Paint fill color of this line/dot was lime green. Face paint fill color was black. Sole paint fill was white. Crosshairs on face. Numbers 1, 9 and 19 had TPM engraved on the back with white paint fill. These putters were cast and not forged or milled. Most were black in color with a rough texture with the face brushed raw. The number 9 was grey in color with a rough texture. Shafts were True Temper step less steel in 0.280 in head with no ferrule. Grips were black to dark grey wrapped textured with TPM in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 6 – 9 – 10 – 12 - 14 – 15 – 19 – 20. Numbers 10 and 14 were left hand only.

The Gold Series was released in 1987 in Roman Numerals. All were made of brass. Paint fills were deep red. Shafts were True Temper straight step less steel in 0.350 diameter over stem. Grips were black rubber pistol type with Spalding or TPM.
Numbers are; I – II – III – IV.

Notes: Additional putters were released after 1994. Registered Series was a black oxide long style Number 1 with a pocket, white paint fill with T.P Mills engraved on the face top near the toe. This putter was also released as brass version.
There were a few other putters designed by Mr. Mills after he stopped working with Spalding released. One was a Tour Series III. Some of the first Numbered Series were released for the Japan market that had Cold Forged engraved in the bottom.

[quote name='BILL12x' timestamp='1284074347' post='2688117']
[/quote]

Here is a new 2009 list of putters designed by T.P Mills for the Spalding Company. This list is as of 3/24/2009. I hope it helps with your collection and/or history questions.
M. Conner

Designed by T.P Mills Spalding's. Chronological Order.

NOTE: Spalding marketed the T.P Mills (first numbered series) line of black finished putter's which were primarily designed as a flange style blade. Each model was number, the insignia found on the heel side of the face. Center of the face is noted by a dotted line cross, or crosshair. In 1984 most of the T.P.M putters sold for $25.00 RN series and between $30.00 and $40.00 later versions.

The first series released in 1970 was the Roman Numeral Series. Numbered I thru IX. These were produced predominantly in carbon steel, although stainless steel versions do exist. These were made with a black finish with the words Spalding Touring Pro Model engraved in the sole. They have a sight oval on the top line. They have the dotted line crosshair on the center face. The insignia TPM with Roman Numeral number is engraved on the face at the heel. These putters were shafted with True Temper 0.280 diameter shafts. The shaft could be straight, step less with flute or stepped steel in head with a black ferrule. The grips were a mix of either smooth black rubber pistol with Spalding in white or brown leather Spalding. Paint fills were in white. All were right hand only.

The second series released in 1984 was the Numbered Series (first release). Numbered 1 thru 14. These were produced predominantly in carbon steel, although stainless steel versions do exist. These were made with a black finish with the words Precision Ground (toe), Spalding (center), and Designed by T.P Mills (heel) engraved on the sole. They have a sight dot on the top line. They have the dotted line crosshair on the center face. The insignia T.P.M with the number below is engraved in the face at the heel. These putters were shafted with True Temper 0.280 diameter shafts in head with NO ferrule. Most all of them were of the stepped steel type. Paint fills were white. Grips were smooth black rubber pistol with TPM or Spalding in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 8 – 9 – 10 – 11 – 12 – 14. There was no number 13. Number 10, was left hand only. Number 14 is of the mallet type.

The third series released in 1985 was the Tour Series. These were numbered 15 thru 19. These were produced predominantly in stainless steel, although a few carbon versions are known to exist. These were made with a black finish with the words Precision Ground (toe), Spalding (center), the number below Spalding (center) and Designed by T.P Mills (heel) engraved on the sole. They have a sight dot on the top line. NO crosshairs on the face of this model. The insignia T.P.M with Tour Series below it was engraved on the face at the heel. These putters were shafted with True Temper straight step less steel shafts in 0.350 diameter over stem. Grips were black rubber textured with Tour Series in gold. All paint fills were gold.

The Numbered Series were re-released in 1991 with these changes. The top line had a narrow line added the full length with a sight dot. The faces of this release were brushed raw finish (no black). Paint fill on the face engravings was in black. The number 12 had a milled pocket in this release. Everything else remained the same as the same of the first release. Grips were smooth black rubber pistol with TPM in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 8 – 9 – 10 – 11 – 12 – 14. There was no number 13. Number 14 was changed to a flange style in left hand. Number 10 remained left hand only.

The Numbered Series were re-released again in 1994 with these changes. The top line had a short wide line on each side of the sight dot about ¾ inch long. Paint fill color of this line/dot was lime green. Face paint fill color was black. Sole paint fill was white. Crosshairs on face. Numbers 1, 9 and 19 had TPM engraved on the back with white paint fill. These putters were cast and not forged or milled. Most were black in color with a rough texture with the face brushed raw. The number 9 was grey in color with a rough texture. Shafts were True Temper step less steel in 0.280 in head with no ferrule. Grips were black to dark grey wrapped textured with TPM in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 6 – 9 – 10 – 12 - 14 – 15 – 19 – 20. Numbers 10 and 14 were left hand only.

The Gold Series was released in 1987 in Roman Numerals. All were made of brass. Paint fills were deep red. Shafts were True Temper straight step less steel in 0.350 diameter over stem. Grips were black rubber pistol type with Spalding or TPM.

Notes: Additional putters were released after 1994. Registered Series was a black oxide long style Number 1 with a pocket, white paint fill with T.P Mills engraved on the face top near the toe. This putter was also released as brass version.
There were a few other putters designed by Mr. Mills after he stopped working with Spalding released. One was a Tour Series III. Some of the first Numbered Series were released for the Japan market that had Cold Forged engraved in the bottom.
[/quote]

Thanks again.

Here is my small contribution to this thread. I always liked the Mizuno line of Mills putters.

[attachment=654044:tpm.jpg]

[quote name='BILL12x' timestamp='1284135147' post='2689369']
Nothing can kill a thread faster than giving all possible relavent information! :-)
[/quote]

Bill because of your informative post I picked up an all orignal TPM 12 at the local pro shop and have a Gold Series coming from Ebay. Thanks again

No probs. I've refinished about 30 of these TPMs and many are sensational pieces. The no.7 and [b]no.12 have an incredible feel [/b]and would be well worth spending the cash on, but the 9 doesn't do anything for me.

[/quote]

I could not agree more. This is a sweet feeling putter.

[attachment=655847:tpm1.jpg]

Thanks for the info on the Roman numeral series. I found a # I at a thrift store for $3. Putts great, especially on fast greens.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='oldmannoodles' timestamp='1283998144' post='2686422']
Agreed scotchblade, the TPMs are great DIY project and no harm done if you mess up as they are so cheap. However, many of them are prone to rust up pretty quickly if not plated, so if you are looking for a keeper a proper finish would be recommended.
[/quote]
If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to black the heads? I've used gun bluing kits and had some success, but yours look like a different finish.

[color=#008000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]917 D3 - 9.5* (B1)
[color=#008000][b]FW:[/b][/color] 917 FD - 15* (B1)
[color=#008000][b]Hybrid:[/b][/color] 816 - 18*
[color=#008000][b]Irons:[/b] [/color]Titleist (4-PW)
[color=#008000][b]Putter:[/b][/color] [url="https://www.instagram.com/sgc_putters/?hl=en"]SGC Custom 902[/url]
[color=#008000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Vokey 52*, 56* & 60*

I have a #6 I got free--the shop at a course was going to throw it out because the head was loose. I just got the paint and rust and light scratching out with 100 grit sandpaper, sanded and buffed it smooth, re-did the paintfill, then torched it, re-did the paintfill and treated the finished product with silicone spray. There are still a few dings but they don't affect play. All told, it was maybe two hours of labor and a couple bucks' worth of materials to restore it. If you don't have a torch, a gas stove burner on its high setting works.

The feel, you ask? Oh boy, does it have feel! I think the bizarre pencil-tip skinny shafts have something to do with it. Thing is the only putter I really trust. Kicked a cameron out of the bag for good.

[quote name='JASONR5' timestamp='1284141250' post='2689534']
[quote name='BILL12x' timestamp='1284074347' post='2688117']
[/quote]

M. Conner

Designed by T.P Mills Spalding's. Chronological Order.

NOTE: Spalding marketed the T.P Mills (first numbered series) line of black finished putter's which were primarily designed as a flange style blade. Each model was number, the insignia found on the heel side of the face. Center of the face is noted by a dotted line cross, or crosshair. In 1984 most of the T.P.M putters sold for $25.00 RN series and between $30.00 and $40.00 later versions.

[/quote]

Thanks again.

Here is my small contribution to this thread. I always liked the Mizuno line of Mills putters.

[/quote]

I agree on the Mills Mizuno line, but I read somewhere that T.P. was not happy with these putters.

Anyone know the rest of the story?

• 2 months later...

No probs. I've refinished about 30 of these TPMs and many are sensational pieces. The no.7 and no.12 have an incredible feel and would be well worth spending the cash on, but the 9 doesn't do anything for me.

[/quote]

Beautiful job you did- that's cool. Quick question for you- I want to find one of these to try out, but before purchasing thought I'd ask your opinion. I've heard the shafts are a little whippy- Does this hurt your putting or at least putting confidence? Just curious- thanks

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K

3 Wood:  Callaway Rogue ST Max 16.5

Hybrid:  19* Ping G410

Irons:  Callaway Steelhead XR

Wedges: Vokey SM9s, 52, 56, 60

Putter:  Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #8

C-130 Cart Bag

Ecco golf shoes

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='professor_doom' timestamp='1286042270' post='2724813']
I have a #6 I got free--the shop at a course was going to throw it out because the head was loose. I just got the paint and rust and light scratching out with 100 grit sandpaper, sanded and buffed it smooth, re-did the paintfill, then torched it, re-did the paintfill and treated the finished product with silicone spray. There are still a few dings but they don't affect play. All told, it was maybe two hours of labor and a couple bucks' worth of materials to restore it. If you don't have a torch, a gas stove burner on its high setting works.

The feel, you ask? Oh boy, does it have feel! I think the bizarre pencil-tip skinny shafts have something to do with it. Thing is the only putter I really trust. Kicked a cameron out of the bag for good.
[/quote]

i would love to know what the "torching" process is exactly- i'd like to try this but haven't a clue as to what kind of torch, how long to torch and whatnot...are you referring to one of those little propane torches i can buy at lowe's or somewhere like the one in this link - [url="http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_266859_266859"]http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_266859_266859[/url]
thanks

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K

3 Wood:  Callaway Rogue ST Max 16.5

Hybrid:  19* Ping G410

Irons:  Callaway Steelhead XR

Wedges: Vokey SM9s, 52, 56, 60

Putter:  Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #8

C-130 Cart Bag

Ecco golf shoes

If anyone would like a TP Mills to practice on, send me a PM. I've got a couple kicking around waiting to be refinished.

[color=#008000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]917 D3 - 9.5* (B1)
[color=#008000][b]FW:[/b][/color] 917 FD - 15* (B1)
[color=#008000][b]Hybrid:[/b][/color] 816 - 18*
[color=#008000][b]Irons:[/b] [/color]Titleist (4-PW)
[color=#008000][b]Putter:[/b][/color] [url="https://www.instagram.com/sgc_putters/?hl=en"]SGC Custom 902[/url]
[color=#008000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Vokey 52*, 56* & 60*

• 1 year later...

Apologies for resurrecting a very old thread, but I couldn't resist.

I recently lucked into finding a Spaulding TPM 12 at a local goodwill for $2. I was pleasantly surprised with the results on the practice green. It rolls great and has better feel than my current putter (an old SC Studio Design #2). It is rough to look at, but I plan on a slow refinish job as I get time.

A couple pics of the old girl.

DSC02227.jpg

DSC02228.jpg

DSC02229.jpg

I have a Tour Series 15 that my dads friend gave him when he shortly attempted to golf well after 2 yrs he quit n gave it to me. Anyone know what material these are made of? Id love to paint strip this n refinish it

TI 17 M1 Tensei Pro White 60TX
TM M1 3 wood Tensei Pro White 80TX
X2Hot Pro 20 deg Proforce V2 104X
Callaway X Forged UT 21 Deg  PX 7.0 HB6
Titleist T100-S 5-9 PX 7.0
Vokey SM6 46 F grind PX 7.0
Vokey SM6 50 F grind PX 7.0
Vokey SM6 55 M grind PX 7.0
Vokey SM6 60 K grind Low Bounce PX6.5
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
Scotty Cameron Futura 5w 

Look what I found in my dad's golf bag! Freakin' SOB was careful about it all along, and I never really looked closely cause the man can't putt:

[attachment=1092237:vid 001.jpg]
[attachment=1092243:vid 004.jpg]
[attachment=1092241:vid 003.jpg]
[attachment=1092239:vid 002.jpg]

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX