TaylorMade R11 & R11 TP

G.Review

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it out in stores already and the stock shaft (fujikura blur 60g stiff) wasn't the shaft for me I still hit the club well though but had to much cut spin on it. The clubhead is the best I have ever hit, the white when i hit it was not noticeable. UNLESS YOU ARE INSPECTING THE CLUB WHILE YOU ARE NOT HITTING, IT IS NOT NOTICABLE. I tried the moveable weight to shift it back to neutral after i delofted it a bit and worked spectacular. The weighting felt just right on it and taylormades white head black face will work if you are customizing and don't want that glare off the face when hitting

15/10 (It's just that good!!)

I hit this club the day it came out and this club is great. Not just the fact that the set-up ability are endless. the head is great, the feel and weighting of the club feels natural, and the club face is hot but feels soft.

I am going to pick up this driver in the next few months. I havnt changed drivers in 4 years... not that i dont want to change, i havnt found a driver i hit as well. This driver here, after hitting it makes me want to change. Ive never hit a club that instantly made me think this way

This club will be in my bag.

5/5 :yahoo:

Diver: Taylormade M1. 9.5-Rouge 70 Silver X
2 hybrid: Ping 17* i25 Steelfiber hls 880
Irons: Ping Anser 3- PW. Aerotech Steelfibers i110 S
Wedges: Ping Glide 50-54-58
Putter: [color=#0000FF] ***HUNTING***[/color]
Ball: ProV1X <Jonny Pepper> #< 57>

I just purchased the TP 9* Stiff version based on reviews and rumors.

Initial Impressions:
- Although the head is supposed to be 440cc, the white head looks huge.

- The TP head and Std head look identical.
- I read that The TP version was supposed to have a smaller and more elongated head (couldn't see a difference)
- The TP version is supposed to have a deeper face and lower CG. (couldn't see or feel any difference)

- When wagging the club back and forth
- the club feels heavier than my R9 and R9 SuperTri Prototype.
- the club feels similar to the the R7 SuperQuad with a heavier configuration
- the TP 65gm Stiff Blur shaft feels really whippy almost like a Regular flex shaft.
- the shaft length is standard and not 1.5" longer like most new drivers.

Tested on 3 holes set @ StdLoft FCT and Neutral ASP. 10gm heel and 1gm toe.
- Standard swing ~85% Swing (90Mph+) shaft could not keep up with swing.
Ball flew high, straight and 30yrs to the right of aim.
- Slow swing ~60-70% Swing (70Mph+) shaft did not seem to lag with slow tempo swing
Ball flew straight at a mid-low trajectory directly at the target.
Ball traveled as far as previously best hit balls.
- Standard swing ~85% Swing with Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff
Ball flew straight about 150yds and developed a weak hook.

Testing on Range with shafts using R9 Sleeves: Matrix HD6 S, Rombax 6V05 X, Blueboard X, AxivCore S, TM Voodoo XVS6, TM Voodoo SVS6, TM XCon5 S, TM Motore F1 S
- Changed weights to 1gm heel and 1gm toe, Neutral FCT and Open ASP

- Standard Swing 90Mph+
X-Flex shafts generated low and mid-low boring straight missiles directly at target. Decent carry distance with good roll.
S-Flex shafts generated mid-high straight shots directly at target. Generated distances as good as previous best shots. No ballooning effect of SuperTri.
AxivCore (Black 69gm) and HD6 produced the best results for me because the shafts were a stronger stiff.
However, the HD6 with standard TP head settings (Neutral FCT, Neutral ASP, 10gm heel and 1gm toe) felt heavy, unbalanced and slightly whippy.
All TM based S-Flex shafts still felt slightly whippy with this head configuration.
Balls flew high with good distance but were not predictable in direction: straight, slight draw or slight fade.

- Fast Swing 100Mph+
X-Flex shafts generated low boring straight missiles directly at target. Good carry distance with very good roll.
Could not get much height without closing face with FCT.
Hit a higher % of unintended draws and weak hooks.
S-Flex shafts generated high straight shots directly at target. Very good carry distance and good roll.
The AxivCore shaft performed the best in terms of distance and predictability for me.
All other shafts were slightly unpredictable. Although the distances were very good, the dispersion could be bad.

Observations:
- The driver is fairly forgiving and allows for easy alignment with the high contrast head
- The face is hot and can produce very good distances if hit decently
- The sound at contact is somewhat similar to the Cobra Speed LD but more muted. It doesn't have the traditional TM metallic sound which I prefer.
- The feel is also somewhat muted compared to earlier TM drivers.
- The head needs to be matched with a stronger shaft for the faster swingers

Conclusions:
- Not really sure if I like this driver enough to replace my current gamer (R9 SuperTri Prototype with TM VooDoo SVS6 shaft).
- The driver feels slightly heavier and ultimately I have to work harder to generate the same results
- The contact sound is a little annoying compared to previous TM drivers
- I had hoped that the TP head would be smaller and look more streamlined than the Std head.
- The TP 65gm Stiff Blur shaft is a POS. Definately have to get a strong S-Flex or weak X-Flex shaft to complement this head.
- Probably should have just purchased the Std R11 and saved some money.

Update 2/23/11:
- Using X Flex Blueboard with 9* TP head (2gm/1grm) better but still not comfortable with heavier head
- Tried X Flex Blueboard with 10.5* Std head (10gm/1gm). Head feels significantly lighter (D2 SW).
- Std head is so much easier to hit with consistency.
- X Flex shafts definately works better with the Std head.
- TP head is better for slower swingers or stronger swingers with strong X Flex shaft.

Has to be the best driver I have ever hit, for the past 2 years I have owned 2 Nike Squared clubs and with these I would slice the ball like no tomorrow, I am a lefty. After trying this club the other day just on the neutral setting the ball would go either straight or a slight hook, don't get me wrong the slice was there but more controllable than the other clubs I have owned. I was sold at that point, so I picked up the R11 10.5 stiff Shaft, NON TP version for me the difference was not noticeable, for others they may see a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

The standard and TP R11 use the same exact head. The only difference is the shaft options, basically paying $100 for a better shaft. My wife suprised me with a 10.5 stiff R11 for our anniversary and my first impression was wow. The clubface is hot and the balance is perfect... I don't care for a lot of the newer lighter and longer drivers where you can't feel the weight of the head. I'm still getting the rust off my swing, so I haven't messed with the adjustments besides setting the sole plate to open. BTW, that adjustable sole plate does NOT change the actual face angle, it simply changes the way the face appears at address when resting on the ground. I haven't tried any of the r9 configurations although I was looking at the superdeep and supertri before this came out. Going from an 09 Cleveland Launcher, Ping G5, and the original r7.. this is the best looking and best balanced club I've seen or tried.

Went to the store and tested the R11 and Razr Hawk against each other this past weekend and the Taylormade had a better weight and feel IMO, I also hit the ball more consitantly with the R11. I currently have a R7 Superquad and the R11 has a similar feel when swinging and through contact. I don't think I hit the ball any farther with the 11 over my superquad but I had the itch for a new club so one is on the way.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good, but that's about where it ends. Didn't like it with any of the 5 shafts I tried in it.

Titleist TSR2 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 65X
Titleist TSR2 15 Ventus TR Blue 75X
Titleist TSR2 21 Ventus TR Blue 75X
Miura TC-201 4-PW Modus 120X
Vokey SM7 Raw - 50F, 54M, 58D
Scotty Cameron H21

Is anyone aware if TM will release a non-white version of the R11 driver?

I have tested this driver a few times and although I don't see an increase in distance or forgiveness, the devilish golf ho on my shoulder wants me to purchase one. I like the adjustability but I keep fighting the urge to buy mainly because I hate the white. I find it distracting, unappealing and see no verifiable benefits.

Ping G30 10.5* Driver
Callaway Big Bertha 815 14* Fairway
Cobra Z-Fly 3-4 & 4-5 Hybrids
Mizuno MP30 5-PW
Ping Glide GW SW LW
SC Studio Design 1.5 Black Pearl

[quote name='PhillyHack73' timestamp='1299966771' post='3049587']

I have tested this driver a few times and although I don't see an increase in distance or forgiveness, the devilish golf ho on my shoulder wants me to purchase one. I like the adjustability but I keep fighting the urge to buy mainly because I hate the white. I find it distracting, unappealing and see no verifiable benefits.
[/quote]
Absolutely not. Taylormade has stated the goal with the white is to render black heads obsolete. They came full circle to making their clubs visible. Remember when they used to be copper? Anyway, Im sure within ten years they will be back to black but definitely not for a few years.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9*
PING LST 14* 
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 18*
PING Blueprint 4-PW
PING Glide 2.0 54*
Titleist SM7 58*
Nike Origin B2-01

• 2 weeks later...

Had a chance to demo the R11 the night it came out and I like it, but just couldn't justify the cost.
Pros- the white is very appealing to the eye. Gave me confidence with an illusion of a bigger head.
- seemed to generate more club head speed then usual. Usually avg 115mph, but was averaging 124mph and actually topped out at 130mph.

Cons- Cost Cost Cost!!!!
- a lot of adjustments to be made. I could see myself tinkering into a hole.

With all that being said when the price drops into the $250-300 range I'll definitely pick one up.

[quote name='acpar72' timestamp='1299967352' post='3049606']

[/quote]
Absolutely not. Taylormade has stated the goal with the white is to render black heads obsolete. They came full circle to making their clubs visible. Remember when they used to be copper? Anyway, Im sure within ten years they will be back to black but definitely not for a few years.
[/quote]
+1

This will; be the strategy for the forseeable future. As long as the majority of golfers like it and the clubs continue to DO something, it will continue. I'm a believer now. I wasn't so much until this past weekend.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='jamdt' timestamp='1301170506' post='3090898']
I'm looking at replacing my driver with either the 910 D3 or the R11. Anyone with comments on either club?

tx
[/quote]
In my view, it depends on what you are trying to do, and how much help you need. If the directional thing is your focus, the R11 will give you greater variance than the 910 (a former user). The 910 will help you 10-15 yards in either direction, the R11 will help you in 50 yards either direction. Really it's a matter of preference. Both are good sticks.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1301274070' post='3094426']
[quote name='jamdt' timestamp='1301170506' post='3090898']
I'm looking at replacing my driver with either the 910 D3 or the R11. Anyone with comments on either club?

tx
[/quote]
In my view, it depends on what you are trying to do, and how much help you need. If the directional thing is your focus, the R11 will give you greater variance than the 910 (a former user). The 910 will help you 10-15 yards in either direction, the R11 will help you in 50 yards either direction. Really it's a matter of preference. Both are good sticks.
[/quote]

Thank you for the feedback, that's news to me. I never considered the right and left distance variances. Is there so much difference? Former 910 user, why did you change and what are u hitting now?
thanks again!

[quote name='cjoe' timestamp='1297401041' post='2967798']
Update 2/23/11:
- Using X Flex Blueboard with 9* TP head (2gm/1grm) better but still not comfortable with heavier head
- Tried X Flex Blueboard with 10.5* Std head (10gm/1gm). Head feels significantly lighter (D2 SW).
- Std head is so much easier to hit with consistency.
- X Flex shafts definately works better with the Std head.
- TP head is better for slower swingers or stronger swingers with strong X Flex shaft.
[/quote]

The heads on both are literally identical...

• 2 weeks later...

Love mine. Tried the 910 D3 as well w/ the Project X stiff before i bought. Loved the feel of both drivers, but ball flight was better for me with the R11. Went with the Blur 65 S. Adjusting the FCT and the sole plate to get a good look at address is amazing. I play it a half degree higher, open ASP setting, and a draw bias with the weights and crush it. Nice high flight with a decent amount of run out. Turns over nicely when i really go after it. Have no problem working the ball either direction with this setting. When getting fit for this make sure to mess around with all the settings. Like any driver, this may not be for you but I'd give it a shot. I switched after playing only Titleist drivers prior, last one being the 905R. The D3 is a great club, just wasn't getting the results I had expected.

SLDR 10.5 Diamana D+ 62 S
910F 15° Diamana 'ahina 72 S
910H 21° Diamana 'ahina 90 S
R7 TP 4-PW Dynamic Gold S
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5

[/quote]

You get used to the white in no time!

If you really don't like the white it seems with the flat finish it would be easy to paint it flat black if you really like the club.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='Mike D' timestamp='1302747212' post='3151781']
Is the Aldila RIP shaft in the R11 TP after-mkt or made for?

[/quote]

The TP shafts are the real deal just painted with TM paint scheme.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Taylormade R11 TP, 9*, Aldila RIP X-Stiff

Good: The club is definitely long and the penetrating ball flight is pure perfection, white looks good, has a great swing feel

Cons: I really hate the sound this thing makes, I can feel where the ball makes contact but it has an overall mushy and dull feel to it, even the sweet spot doesn't feel that "sweet" to me but I hardly ever use Taylormade products so hopefully I'll get used to it, because of this my first few rounds we're pretty dreadful because I had no clue where the ball was going, get ready to be bombarded by questions if you ever play with different people. I play college golf and its something new every round (if you get this club you'll know why its on the con list)

Overall, I'm happy with what I see, but not what I hear or feel.

• 4 weeks later...

I went in demo'ing drivers trying not to like this one (also tried 910D2, Adams Speedline, Cleveland TL310, Cally Octane Tour.) I had the R9 last year and it went no where. But the R11 is a whole new ball game. Looks and feels great, and the high launch / low spin / flat ball flight is to die for. Adjustability is a big plus and allowed me to find the optimal shaft (which again turned out not to be what I would have expected). Also allows me to open it way up, which seems only way I can really go after a drive. Im carrying it longer and with a flatter ball flight than anything Ive tried before. Havent been this pleased with a club purchase in years.

Only con, and it's a nit picky cosmetic one, I would prefer the OEM shaft graphics versus TM's.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

• 2 weeks later...

so one guy in my regular foursome bought one of these to replace his r7, i used to outdrive him consistently by 15-20yds and now we're about even. if i'm really on it one day i'll still get past by 15-20, but only on my really good days. is the equipment really that much longer, or is he just swinging it better now? another guy in my group also just bought the new razr hawk and got a bunch longer as well and i have a hard time keeping up with them on driver distance with my 07 burner.

will i really pick up an instant 20yds with this thing?

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

• 2 weeks later...

Just shattered my 45 day old R11 last week on the range.  The face was fine with no cracking but the top of the club simply shattered from inside out.  It was the loudest hit I've ever heard.  Sounded like it exploded and alerted the whole driving range of people.  About a 1 inch by 1 inch piece flew toward the target after I hit it.  Weird thing was the ball flight and distance was virtually the same as normal and I hit it right in the middle of the face.  Not a poor shot at all.  Has anyone else heard of this type of issue with the R11 or any other driver?  I generally swing in the 120MPH range and I can't see that as being anything out of ordinary.  I've just never saw a driver shatter on the top like mine did...I caved in the face of a Nike Ignite a few years back but that seemed logical.  So I had it sent in through Golf Galaxy and they told me it's gonna be 5 WEEKS before I get a new one back.  What's up with that?  Why wouldn't they just give me a new one off the rack and send it back to TM on their own?  I assume TM will do some sort of analysis on the club to determine it was within normal golf conditions but once they have that determined....can't see why GG won't give me a new one from there.  5 weeks up in Iowa feels like over half the summer.  If I get the chance, I'll post a pic.  It looks pretty crazy.

It's really up to the manager at GG. If they had called TM and they said they would replace the broken one with stock, it would have been fine. The manager probably didn't want to take one of his from stock. It's that simple. But they will need that back to make sure that it's just that lot of drivers, or that one.

I've seen Cally drivers explode the like that before every now and then. I'm sure some OEMs have similar items happen every so often.

That's good to know that kind of thing doesn't just happen to me. Ironically, I just got a call from GG saying my driver should be back on Monday. So it was basically 2 weeks from day they sent it in. Not a bad turnaround there. I'm getting the feeling that the GG manager was just being a tool with the handling of the whole situation. Not wanting to give out another driver....quoting 5 weeks without actually knowing for sure. At any rate, I get my baby back soon and all should be well again.