2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

KBS Tour Vs NS Pro's

3put

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the NS pros while my SS was in the "stiff" range. I have added some speed to my swing in the last year and went to X100s... They are good shafts, have a nice launch. Feel like they have more "spring" than the KBS... KBS had a little bit less feel for me.

Either is a solid shaft, nippons were a bit better for me.

[quote name='SOONERMAGIC' timestamp='1294595235' post='2884610']
I had the NS pros while my SS was in the "stiff" range. I have added some speed to my swing in the last year and went to X100s... They are good shafts, have a nice launch. Feel like they have more "spring" than the KBS... KBS had a little bit less feel for me.

Either is a solid shaft, nippons were a bit better for me.
[/quote]

Would you say that the Nippon's are smoother, have a better feel or in what way different than the non-flighted PX's?

It really depends on what Nippons you are talking about. There are several different weight versions of them. In general the Nippon is going to be a much smoother shaft than the project x with higher launch and more spin. I have the 1150's and I love the feel of them, but it really depends on what you are looking for in a shaft.

Callaway AI Smoke Max D 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Titleist Ts2 20 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g MMT 105
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

Without knowing which model you are talking about it is hard to give a comparison. I can think of 7 or 8 different models of NS pro's off the top of my head and they all have different weights and characteristics. I think all of them would feel smoother than the project x. Some would increase your launch angle a little, and some would increase your launch angle a tremendous amount. Some would be about the same weight and some would be 25 grams lighter. The kbs stiff soft stepped once would also feel smoother than the project x and increase your launch angle.

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

I had played the Nippon shafts and noticed that they are definitely lighter, higher launching and high spinning shafts. I have had both the 950's and the 1150's. These shafts have active tips which help get the ball into the air. I don't believe they are counter-balanced like the KBS's. I tried hitting my buddies sticks with KBS Tours (D2 SW) and it felt heavier than a D2. Either way, I have replaced my Nippon's with Tour Concept's and do not regret it one bit. If anyone is looking for a nice set of Nippon 1150's (3-P) pulls, just PM me before I put them up in the BST.

The Nippon will definitely be smoother than the PX Flighted if they're the same frequency. They'll also launch the short and mid-irons higher. Nippon makes a very good shaft but I switched to the KBS Tour to gain a more penetrating ball flight with all of the irons and wedges.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I went from the PX flighted to the PX none flighted to now the NS Pro 1150. I thought it was going to be too light, but they feel just fine. I thought I would launch it too high, but I can actually control it. I thought it would require a smooth swing and I can't attack it, but I was wrong again that I can crank it whenever I want. Overall, they are the smoothest shaft I've ever used, personally. As far as the KBS tour, I liked it a lot when I demo it with the same head, but I can't get over the height on the NS pro I am getting so I choose it. Hope this helps.

In the main bag:

Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic Subzero, 9, weight forward, Diamana W+63s, 45", D4
Cobra Bio Cell plus, 15 degree, Diamana BB 73s, tipped 1/2", 43"
Mizuno MP-Ti, 18 degree, Fubuki AX 73s, 42.5"
Callaway Apex, Kura Kage 80s, 23 degree
5-GW, Ping i20, Recoil Prototype 95s, red dot, + 1/4"
54S, 60C, Callaway MD3, 1 degree flat
Piretti Copper limited, 34.5", 365g, 3.5 loft, 70 lie.

In the Spare bag:

Ping i20, 9.5, Diamana Whiteboard 63s, 45"
Mizuno MP-Ti, stripped finish, 15 degree, Diamana D+ 73s, tipped 1/2", 43"
Adams A12 Pro, 20 and 23 degree, Matrix Altus S
5-GW, Mizuno JPX 825 Pro, Steelfiber i95s, soft-step once
54, 60, Mizuno R-12, DG Spinner +
Scotty Cameron Fastback custom, 33.5", Rosemark grip, 365g

OK, so I found out that the shafts are the Nippon NS Pro 950's, stiff, in a brand new set of R9TP's, for $650.

I know nothing about the Nippon NS Pro 950's! As mentioned, I've been playing the R7TP's, with the PX, non-flighted, 5.5's and wouldn't mind something a lit'l smoother.

The MP53's, with the DGS300's just aren't doing it for me!?!?

Can anyone help with their own experiences, advise or suggestions?

Thanks

The 950's are a 96 gram shaft compared to the 115 gram in the 5.5's, and 127 grams in the S300's. They are going to feel significantly lighter than what you are used to with a much softer tip section. They will have a significantly higher ball flight and spin rate than either of the other shafts, but will definitely feel a lot smoother. They feel a little soft to flex also. I am a low ball hitter, and I hit my 7 iron 160. I tried the 950's and did not like them. I thought they were too light and too soft. I now play the 1150's in my current set and can not imagine playing anything else. What is your current ball flight with what you are playing now?

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

Last year I played the following shafts:
Rifle 6.0
Nippon 950 S
DG s300
And I tried the KBS Tour for a range session

I decided the Rifles weren't doing it for me. Then the Nippons were too light and soft for me, especially in the short irons.
I wanted heavier, stiffer, lower and the KBS and the DG were both good, but the DG was better matched for the rest of my set. Hope that helps.

The Nippons didn't work for me, they might for you, but this is where I fit them into the spectrum.

sorry to hijack the thread, just got a new set of miura's and would like to know if you guys prefer to have nspro 999 r-flex or kbs tour stiff-flex in them?

i'm coming from r7tps' with dgs300's as well, any recommendations would help

// PING G425 LST 9* //

// COBRA F8+ 16* //
// TITLEIST T100 4-P //

// TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 52* / 58* //
// ODYSSEY 7s //

[quote name='Smokey227' timestamp='1294802001' post='2890253']
The 950's are a 96 gram shaft compared to the 115 gram in the 5.5's, and 127 grams in the S300's. They are going to feel significantly lighter than what you are used to with a much softer tip section. They will have a significantly higher ball flight and spin rate than either of the other shafts, but will definitely feel a lot smoother. They feel a little soft to flex also. I am a low ball hitter, and I hit my 7 iron 160. I tried the 950's and did not like them. I thought they were too light and too soft. I now play the 1150's in my current set and can not imagine playing anything else. What is your current ball flight with what you are playing now?
[/quote]
Good post.

It all depends on what you're used to static weight wise. Each will swing differently having different ballfight tendencies. The PX were designed for the higher swing speed golfer, in order to cut down on ballooning, the apex of the shot flattened out prior to decent. The KBS Tour are similar designed by the same person while providing a smoother feel. Nippons in every weight (esp the 950) are a different animal altogether, playing softer to flex with a higher ballflight and a silky feel. I'd compare them closer to the old DGLite though.

[quote name='lewis4ace' timestamp='1294855621' post='2891681']
sorry to hijack the thread, just got a new set of miura's and would like to know if you guys prefer to have nspro 999 r-flex or kbs tour stiff-flex in them?

[/quote]

[quote name='duffer888' timestamp='1294860307' post='2891870']
I think the KBS will be less of a transition for you than the NS Pros.
[/quote]

Agree with this unless you [i]should[/i] be gaming lighter & more flexible shafts.

I'm currently have a few 999 S-flex shafts that I'm experimenting with which are lighter (much more in the middle & long irons than the shorter irons w/c are a tad heavier), more flexible, & have a livelier tip that should launch the ball higher than the KBS Tour Stiffs that I previously gamed. The regulars would even be more so.

hm...thanks for the insight, well right now the miura's are shafted with nspros so i think i'll try that out first...what can i expect if i switch them to kbs? lower flight? slower swing speed?

does that mean i'm gonna lose distance after switching to kbs?

// PING G425 LST 9* //

// COBRA F8+ 16* //
// TITLEIST T100 4-P //

// ODYSSEY 7s //

[quote name='lewis4ace' timestamp='1294882787' post='2892767']
hm...thanks for the insight, well right now the miura's are shafted with nspros so i think i'll try that out first...what can i expect if i switch them to kbs? lower flight? slower swing speed?

[/quote]

Hard to say not knowing your swing & what you're looking for. Since you have the Nippons already, give them a shot for a few sessions/rounds then go from there. You can always get a KBS shaft to demo down the road if the NS Pros don't work out for you.

If your looking for a smooth KBS with lower launch and better feel then check out the brand new Nippon Modus 3 iron shafts. They are $35 a peice in the new Golfsmith catalog but the proto's I've been playing for the last 8 months are awesome.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[/quote]

My current ball flight with the non-flighted 5.5's is mid to high already. I'm affraid it sounds like the 950's may create a lit'l too high of a ball flight? Maybe the KBS Tours in stiff would be a better fit?

[quote name='FatMan' timestamp='1294884592' post='2892868']

[/quote]

Hard to say not knowing your swing & what you're looking for. Since you have the Nippons already, give them a shot for a few sessions/rounds then go from there. You can always get a KBS shaft to demo down the road if the NS Pros don't work out for you.

[/quote]

alright sounds good, i'll definitely try them out....when i had the DGS300's i feel like i hit them too high, so i wanted something that would be more create a more "penetrating" ball flight....also i felt like the DG were a little bit to much stick, as my driver swing speed is usually only around 104-110 mph

thanks for the insight once again...and FYI, i have already bought a set of KBS tours (of the BST, impulse buy)

// PING G425 LST 9* //

// COBRA F8+ 16* //
// TITLEIST T100 4-P //

// ODYSSEY 7s //

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1294884727' post='2892877']
If your looking for a smooth KBS with lower launch and better feel then check out the brand new Nippon Modus 3 iron shafts. They are $35 a peice in the new Golfsmith catalog but the proto's I've been playing for the last 8 months are awesome.
[/quote]

never heard of these shafts!...will definitely look it up! thanks

// PING G425 LST 9* //

// COBRA F8+ 16* //
// TITLEIST T100 4-P //

// ODYSSEY 7s //

[quote name='3put' timestamp='1294884933' post='2892884']
[/quote]

My current ball flight with the non-flighted 5.5's is mid to high already. I'm affraid it sounds like the 950's may create a lit'l too high of a ball flight? Maybe the KBS Tours in stiff would be a better fit?
[/quote]

Unless you're looking for an even higher ball flight, the KBS sounds like the better fit compared to the 950s. Plus the KBS is middle ground in terms of shaft weight between the PX & S300s.

[quote name='FatMan' timestamp='1294885770' post='2892935']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Unless you're looking for an even higher ball flight, the KBS sounds like the better fit compared to the 950s. Plus the KBS is middle ground in terms of shaft weight between the PX & S300s.
[/quote]

I'm affraid you're right and I probably assumed as much, I was just drawn to the $650 price, for the 5 - GW, but I'd rather pay the extra $100 and get the right fit. Thanks.

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you already hit the 5.5's pretty high, and you like the overall weight of the shaft but want something a little smoother try the KBS or the Nippon 1150's. They are both approximately the same weight and both feel smoother to me.

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

[quote name='lewis4ace' timestamp='1294855621' post='2891681']

[/quote]

i have miura 1957 with flighted x satin 6.0s
way to soft for ME , but makes these heads feel so incredible soft and easy to paly. very enjoyable. just no good for scoring.
but for a slower swinger i cant think of a better "feeling" shaft
this shaft doesnt suit these heads for preformance for me.
im thinking of going to the ns super peening orange in 3-4-56- and blue for 7-8-9-pw for a bit more flight and tighness.
NS are a wonderful feeling shaft , all the models ive hit a re beautiful
KBS feel like a rialway sleeper to me , big, heavy absolutely no feel at all. but they are super direct and low.
i much prefer the feel of the NS in a stiffer heavier shaft like the peening blue or 1150s
if u want to go in the middle the NS 1050 s are superb, u get the feel and a bit more weight than the 950s.
and they are are high performance shaft i play them on links with no drama what so ever. they hold thier own
id say go the 1050 s u wont be dissapointed.

owari !

[quote name='lewis4ace' timestamp='1294885055' post='2892891']
[quote name='FatMan' timestamp='1294884592' post='2892868']

[/quote]

[/quote]

alright sounds good, i'll definitely try them out....when i had the DGS300's i feel like i hit them too high, [b]so i wanted something that would be more create a more "penetrating" ball flight....[/b]also i felt like the DG were a little bit to much stick, as my driver swing speed is usually only around 104-110 mph

thanks for the insight once again...and FYI, i have already bought a set of KBS tours (of the BST, impulse buy)
[/quote]
The shaft you've descibed above exactly fits the original PX satins in my opinion. But they do feel harsher than both the KBS Tour and the Nippon even moreso.

I was just going through both web-sites, the T/M & Nippon web-sites and it is my understanding that the stock KBS shafts that come in the R9TP's are 90grams and the Nippon NS Pro 950's are 98grams. Is this true?

In that case, my dilema of the 950's being too light may not actually be an issue. We're talking about a 17gram difference from my non-flighted 5.5's, correct?

The stock shaft of the R9 tp according to taylormades website is the KBS tour which is the 120 gram shaft that was being talked about as a recommendation in this thread. The lighter shaft is the KBS tour 90 and it is stock on the regular R9. The 17 gram difference is more significant than you think and then you add in the softer tip and lighter flex. I don't believe that anyone is trying to talk you out of buying something that you want to try. We are all club ho's here, if you want to try them go ahead.

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

[quote name='Smokey227' timestamp='1294971907' post='2895387']
The stock shaft of the R9 tp according to taylormades website is the KBS tour which is the 120 gram shaft that was being talked about as a recommendation in this thread. The lighter shaft is the KBS tour 90 and it is stock on the regular R9. The 17 gram difference is more significant than you think and then you add in the softer tip and lighter flex. I don't believe that anyone is trying to talk you out of buying something that you want to try. We are all club ho's here, if you want to try them go ahead.
[/quote]

I didn't look at it like anyone was trying to talk me out of anything. I only asked because I didn't know and wanted to be sure and now that you put it that way, 17g's IS a significant amount, not to mention the other factors.

I come to you guys for all the experience and suggestions I can gain, and I'm very grateful. Plus, you guys can relate to the pain and addiction that new equipement can bring....LOL! :hi: